PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds on Steam Greenlight

Pages : [1] 2

ddavison
September 20th, 2012, 03:28
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97590652&searchtext=

We just posted Fantasy Grounds as a submission to Steam Greenlight. Steam is the most common direct download to PC or Mac distributor for Video Games with more than 50% of the market share. They created Greenlight as a way to test the market for a product before they allow it for sale through Steam. We've tried to submit once in the past and we would love to take advantage of this opportunity to show that a small game company with a niche product does have a place mixed in with the major blockbuster games. Please check it out, share with friends, comment and discuss FG on the Greenlight site and elsewhere.

In addition to providing a broader reach and more people to game with, getting on Steam would also allow us to tap into some cool features to add game lobbies and match-making, network enhancements and more. I saw one other Greenlight product that mentioned giving free Steam keys to all existing customers if they get picked up. I need to look into what that entails, but that sounds like a great way for us to thank the community for the years and years of continued support.

Thanks.

-Doug

Griogre
September 20th, 2012, 04:22
I'll definitely vote you up. Maybe it's just my computer but the audio didn't seem that good on the video you linked to. To compressed maybe?

JohnD
September 20th, 2012, 05:11
Up voted. I'll gift to a few friends. :)

Tiqon
September 20th, 2012, 15:03
Voted thumps up too, ofc, I will tell all my steam friends! So if this gets on steam I can join my serial to my steam account?

chronomancien
September 20th, 2012, 16:06
Voted.

:D

ddavison
September 21st, 2012, 01:34
Thanks for the support and for the feedback. I plan to go in and re-record the audio with a boom mic. I was doing it from my Mac since I had the video editing there as well and was just too lazy to move my headset and mic over.

Less than a day and we are 22% to the goal according to the stats. We are blowing out the daily average status for the top 100, so maybe there will be some mainstream appeal after all.

To answer the question about the serial #s, we'll have to do a bit more research once Steam starts officially talking with us. The plan would be to push those across if it is at all possible. I think this would allow us to do some pretty cool things for a lobby.

Zeus
September 21st, 2012, 07:56
I'm trying to add my vote as I think this a fantastic opportunity for Fantasy Grounds II but Steam isn't letting me at the moment. I had to re-register my older account and now its telling me I have to buy or activate a new game before it will let me add a vote for FGII Greenlight :(

I wasn't really looking for a new game but just spotted an old classic collection (Monkey Island) that looks quite tempting so hopefully I'll be able to cast my vote over this weekend.

JohnD
September 21st, 2012, 14:36
To answer the question about the serial #s, we'll have to do a bit more research once Steam starts officially talking with us. The plan would be to push those across if it is at all possible. I think this would allow us to do some pretty cool things for a lobby.
What I've seen with other games, is that you can enter your # but it's listed as a non-Steam version on your account - you can't re-download it from Steam and usage stats aren't tracked.

Battlefield 2 Bad Company and Call of Duty: Black Ops are two games that come to mind as examples.

Maybe you can negotiate something different (if Steam's backend is set up to allow it).

Either way, would be super to have FG on Steam.

DrakosDJ
September 21st, 2012, 16:39
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97590652&searchtext=

We just posted Fantasy Grounds as a submission to Steam Greenlight. Steam is the most common direct download to PC or Mac distributor for Video Games with more than 50% of the market share. They created Greenlight as a way to test the market for a product before they allow it for sale through Steam. We've tried to submit once in the past and we would love to take advantage of this opportunity to show that a small game company with a niche product does have a place mixed in with the major blockbuster games. Please check it out, share with friends, comment and discuss FG on the Greenlight site and elsewhere.

In addition to providing a broader reach and more people to game with, getting on Steam would also allow us to tap into some cool features to add game lobbies and match-making, network enhancements and more. I saw one other Greenlight product that mentioned giving free Steam keys to all existing customers if they get picked up. I need to look into what that entails, but that sounds like a great way for us to thank the community for the years and years of continued support.

Thanks.

-Doug
Will this require poeple to be registered with Steam or have a Steam account to use Fantasy Grounds? If so I will regret this because I won't use Steam.

Griogre
September 21st, 2012, 17:57
I wasn't really looking for a new game but just spotted an old classic collection (Monkey Island) that looks quite tempting so hopefully I'll be able to cast my vote over this weekend.
One of the best things about Steam, is you can often find that old game you use to play usually for cheap. :) I like supporting Indie Developers too. I did get sucked in for the full price X-Com remake though. ;)

Zeus
September 21st, 2012, 18:46
One of the best things about Steam, is you can often find that old game you use to play usually for cheap. :) I like supporting Indie Developers too. I did get sucked in for the full price X-Com remake though. ;)

Oooh if X-Comm is available for Mac on Steam that would be great. Is it as good as the original - I know the game has taken on some new approach so am very curious.

JohnD
September 21st, 2012, 19:30
Will this require poeple to be registered with Steam or have a Steam account to use Fantasy Grounds? If so I will regret this because I won't use Steam.
No, it won't.

Tiqon
September 21st, 2012, 20:22
Oooh if X-Comm is available for Mac on Steam that would be great. Is it as good as the original - I know the game has taken on some new approach so am very curious.

There has been several remakes of x-com, but non very succesful. There WILL be a new one very soon. Looks promising. I have been following this game for quite some time now. Its one of the games I have promised myself Im gonna buy broke or not ;).
This time its made by Firaxis and you can see it here https://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

You CAN get the whole x-com package for 15 euro on Steam (the old ones, x-com, terror from the deep, apocalypse, enforcer and interceptor). https://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

ddavison
September 21st, 2012, 22:35

No. You may not be able to use certain features provided within Steam, but the plan would be to keep the software fully functional away from Steam as well.

ddavison
September 21st, 2012, 22:37
There has been several remakes of x-com, but non very succesful. There WILL be a new one very soon. Looks promising. I have been following this game for quite some time now. Its one of the games I have promised myself Im gonna buy broke or not ;).
This time its made by Firaxis and you can see it here https://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

You CAN get the whole x-com package for 15 euro on Steam (the old ones, x-com, terror from the deep, apocalypse, enforcer and interceptor). https://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Bit of a derail, but have you tried UFO Afterlight? I thought that was pretty close to XCom. Terror from the Deep was my favorite of the batch, but I was impressed with UFO Afterlight.

DrakosDJ
September 22nd, 2012, 06:01
No. You may not be able to use certain features provided within Steam, but the plan would be to keep the software fully functional away from Steam as well.
Great to hear. I don't really care about any "steam only features" as long as the current funtionality remains, and they continue to add non-steam features.

Tiqon
September 22nd, 2012, 06:53
Bit of a derail, but have you tried UFO Afterlight? I thought that was pretty close to XCom. Terror from the Deep was my favorite of the batch, but I was impressed with UFO Afterlight.

Ofc :). I liked them actually, though many apprently didnt. I couldn't remember the names of them last night (there were more... Aftermatch, Aftershock and Afterlight, in that order as I recall). Played them all :). My first was Terror from the deep, so I too like that the most :).

dberkompas
September 22nd, 2012, 19:32
You have my YES vote.

BoomerET

Griogre
September 22nd, 2012, 19:57
Wow, some mis-information on Steam that FG costs $140.

ed_wilson11
September 22nd, 2012, 21:14
This would be aswome if that means that you actually do tech support. Have been trying to get logged in now for 2 weeks and it is not working. Every time we try to test the server, we get Failure. what is the deal. Can somone please tell me why we cannot connect. Up until 2 weeks ago we had not problems. Now nothing works. Really agrivating when you have been gaming for years using FG and now you cant even get to the server.

ed_wilson11
September 22nd, 2012, 21:16
This would be aswome if that means that you actually do tech support. Have been trying to get logged in now for 2 weeks and it is not working. Every time we try to test the server, we get Failure. what is the deal. Can somone please tell me why we cannot connect. Up until 2 weeks ago we had not problems. Now nothing works. Really agrivating when you have been gaming for years using FG and now you cant even get to the server.

I did vote yes on steam by the way.

JohnD
September 22nd, 2012, 23:28
How is anyone going to help you if you wait to post that you're having trouble? :confused:

Steam or no Steam isn't going to affect that.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2012, 23:40
I recommend you post your issues as a new thread in the House of Healing forum - this is where you will get help. This thread is about FG on Steam.

Niven81
September 22nd, 2012, 23:52
Voting this up as soon as I get home. Good luck!

ddavison
September 25th, 2012, 23:52

Please post on the support forums and/or shoot an email to [email protected] and we'll be happy to help. That normally means your IP address of your PC inside your network has changed and your router is no longer directing traffic for FG back to your machine. We can go into more details on another thread though because I want to keep this thread focused on the Steam and FG.

ddavison
September 25th, 2012, 23:55
We started off really strong but we've since backpedaled a bit. Thanks for the early initial boost. Ultimately, it only really makes sense to do it if the Steam community other than the existing FG community likes the idea of FG. Votes and comments of support from the current community are still greatly appreciated. We just need for others to join the ranks too!

I posted the stats graphic for those interested. FG went live on Steam Greenlight late Wednesday evening and still managed to hit the average. Thursday and Friday did extremely well and then we've settled back down to below average #s. Unfortunately, I don't have true vote counts to go on, so I don't know how many we expect to need each day or how many active Steam users actually visit Greenlight and vote on any given day. The only safe bet is that the number of votes so far is somewhere between 369 and 12,435. The gray bars are also the average votes for products in the Top 100 but there is no knowledge about the distribution within that range. If 4 or 5 products have large amounts of votes, then we could actually be doing quite well even if we hit the average mark. If it's a relatively even distribution, then hitting the average would put us at #50 or higher. Supposedly, 10 products will be chosen in October and then they will periodically choose more. It is doubtful they will choose more than 10 in any given month.

Okay, the numbers jump a bit when you go away and come back. Now it shows we have reached 56%.

mgholson
September 26th, 2012, 15:52
Lots of comments complaining about price and exposing the fraud as "not a game?"

Really?

I guess they want a sequal to super meatboy? for 12 cents?

Or maybe they'd like an ad supported version.

"You're crawling through the catacombs of filth almost to the tomb of the dreaded necromancer, "And now a word from our Sponsor, Lysol"

Griogre
September 26th, 2012, 18:25
Technically Steam is only suppose to have games to sell. They have fudged a bit in the past and while FG does fall within that fudge. I personally don't really consider FG a game, I consider it a utility that facilitates playing a game. However, I can see the argument that FG could be considered an AI-less game with the GM (and occasionally a player) acting in place of the AI. Considering that Steam is thinking about or planning to sell applications as well as games I think if FG gets enough votes its not going to be disqualified because it might not be considered a game.

That said, the game or not a game thing is causing FG to get more no votes than if it was clearly a game. On the price there seems to be a lot of confusion on Steam that you need to get the ultimate version. Considering most people using FG are probably players that's likely not true. Maybe Doug needs to pitch the bundle pricing for groups there.

One problem/advantage with Steam is going to be the "drop in, drop out" of games mentality of some of the new players used to that in multi-player games. Still I hope FG gets on Steam, for the exposure. When I worked at a computer game company, we were very conscious that many of our customers played RPGs and marketed accordingly. I know a lot of those gamers on Steam would play RPGs if they could find a group and play over the Internet.

mgholson
September 26th, 2012, 20:41
well I can definitly see that point, but I guess I'm pragmatic, an application that you use to play a game might as well be called a game.

I think a central lobby could be a good thing where you could see what games are currently being played and drop in to watch silently. So long as it could opted out of. Also would be nice for random pick up games. Even if more players are just droping in and droping at least some of them may become regulars.

Valarian
September 26th, 2012, 20:52
Not sure I agree with this "no" vote. If they don't want it then they don't have to buy it. Why should someone be able to vote against a product that they aren't interested in, thereby denying a product that someone else would like to buy. Doesn't sound right to me.

ddavison
September 27th, 2012, 00:20
The lobby and the ability to set a max number of extra "watchers" might be interesting. As far as the comments, they really aren't too bad compared to some of the other greenlight listings I've looked at. I think a number of them come from a lack of experience with tabletop RPGs in general. Some others seem to be coming from fans of other VTTs out there and some of those seem to be the worst at spreading mis-information.

Anyway... we seem to be surging back again somewhat. We can only wait and see and keep monitoring it. More exposure means more buyers and ultimately more capital to invest in adding functionality.

We hit 67% in 7 days.

JohnD
September 27th, 2012, 01:05
One problem/advantage with Steam is going to be the "drop in, drop out" of games mentality of some of the new players used to that in multi-player games.
That's already happening in the current environment.

Dropping in for one game never to be heard from again is annoyingly common; usually it's from the people who have a lump in their shorts and can't wait to get started. Somewhat annoying because the GM and players make efforts to include the person, not realizing they're just disposable non-entities to said transient individual.

Not sure why Steam allows the 'no' vote - surely if you aren't interested, simply not voting 'yes' tells them what they need to know... and misinformation by uninformed boneheads either on purpose or through sheer silliness is a common feature of the internet, unfortunately.

kilma.ard.venom
September 28th, 2012, 07:15
Voted. Hope you'll get 100% soon! Shared a link via facebook and twitter.

Emrak
September 28th, 2012, 15:14
Sharing on FB...

robocoppa
September 28th, 2012, 16:45
Absolutely voted "YES", I hope this helps to get a better (if possible :D ) Fantasy Grounds.

Good luck and good work.

Bye.

Emrak
September 28th, 2012, 18:17
Might I recommend this go out in an email newsletter? If I hadn't stumbled upon this in the forums I would never have known. I'm sure there are others like me.

ddavison
September 29th, 2012, 00:49
Emrak, great suggestion. I'll see if I can whip up something.

We hit 76% so far today. That's no guarantee one way or another, but it looks like things are moving in the right direction if we hit 100%.

ddavison
October 7th, 2012, 04:21
With 9 days to go, we are hovering around the top 80 percentile. We made it up to 89% but then slipped back to 87% again. It's hard to know how the percentages will really play out with the selection of the next 10 greenlit games but we're hoping to get some good momentum leading into it. Thanks for the continued support.

Tiqon
October 7th, 2012, 07:42
And after Steam have added the first batch of PROGRAMS, not games, last week or so I hope people will keep quite about FG not being a game and therefore not for Steam... Fingers crossed ;).

ddavison
October 7th, 2012, 16:12
Very true. I can see the argument that it isn't a game but I can also see how it would be considered a game as well. It is definitely a hybrid and either way, seeing software on the list is beneficial. Who knows, it may be better to get categorized as software than as a game since there is less content there and FG will have greater visibility instead of getting lost in the mix.

Shockbolt
October 7th, 2012, 16:55
Voted, worst part was remembering the password to the Steam account.

ddavison
October 15th, 2012, 23:33
Steam just greenlit another 20 software titles and games, which moved us up into the top 100. We still have a ways to go, but hopefully with enough continued attention and votes we'll move up in the rank and get picked up in one of the later selections.
If you haven't yet, check us out on Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97590652

demonsbane
October 16th, 2012, 00:01
Voted, worst part was remembering the password to the Steam account.

I have been unable to vote after several tries in different days, because Steam isn't allowing me to log in that website.

It's supposed I need to receive a Steam's e-mail with further instructions just for that, but they aren't sending it to me, and the Help & Support section for that is not working at all - yes, I checked the Spam folder.

I wonder if more people is having the same problem.

ddavison
October 16th, 2012, 00:27
The website link is a little bad because I'm not 100% sure if they even really let you vote from there. I actually have Steam installed on my Mac and one of my laptops and going in through there gives me the vote option. I wonder if they make it difficult on purpose to weed out votes from "the outside" so to speak.

demonsbane
October 16th, 2012, 04:11
The website link is a little bad because I'm not 100% sure if they even really let you vote from there. I actually have Steam installed on my Mac and one of my laptops and going in through there gives me the vote option. I wonder if they make it difficult on purpose to weed out votes from "the outside" so to speak.

I see. I'm not used to this Steam app but what you wrote here has encouraged me to try again from inside it, and I have been finally able to vote after finding the Greenlight section and searching for Fantasy Grounds.

Nylanfs
October 16th, 2012, 04:51
Voted :)

And on the pricing. I REALLY like the 8hr temp pass for people to get and play around with. Although if the GM has an Ultimate license it wouldn't matte.

Griogre
October 16th, 2012, 05:21
I agree, time limited use passes could be a big deal for FG on Steam.

Nylanfs
October 18th, 2012, 03:51
Although if they want to GM the game they would need more time so that they could set something up (or use a module). So perhaps a 3-day/weekend pass? for lets say around $5ish?

Nylanfs
October 18th, 2012, 03:53
Also I posted to Facebook, and had three friends vote and they posted to Facebook about it :)

ShotGun Jolly
October 31st, 2012, 01:10
Just voted for it as well..

Gadreun
November 5th, 2012, 08:20
I have voted - interestingly i am brand new to FG and i have Steam. I hadn't been aware this type of role-playing was available online and i am kicking myself on the years i have missed - perhaps if i had seen it on Steam i may have reacted earlier and not been left behind! Admittedly i didn't think that playing pen and paper style was workable online so im very pleased i stumbled across this recently. Just a pity nobody seems to live in New Zealand that plays.

damned
November 5th, 2012, 08:29
korepsu is a kiwi and is running a 3.5e game i think and there are a few aussies playing via castles&crusades - but yes - it is much harder to get numbers for an evening game in our timezone/s.

Gadreun
November 10th, 2012, 07:28
Sweet - yeah looks like i will just be looking for games in the weekend mainly so its going to work out pretty good because my mornings are afternoons and UK later evening - we managed a game today kindly hosted by Skellan (his 11pm) but we could have easily made the game several hours earlier in future i think

Gadreun
November 10th, 2012, 07:30
Sweet - yeah looks like i will just be looking for games in the weekend mainly so its going to work out pretty good because my mornings are afternoons and UK later evening - we managed a game today kindly hosted by Skellan (his 11pm) but we could have easily made the game several hours earlier in future i think

I mean my mornings are US afternoon

RosenMcStern
November 10th, 2012, 12:05
I hadn't been aware this type of role-playing was available online and i am kicking myself on the years i have missed - perhaps if i had seen it on Steam i may have reacted earlier and not been left behind! Admittedly i didn't think that playing pen and paper style was workable online so im very pleased i stumbled across this recently.

Welcome Gadreun. You are a perfect example of the kind of player that presence on Steam could attract. Hope the campaign goes well.

Fat Tony
November 15th, 2012, 00:32
Voted... and likely to be quite happy I found FG.

Nylanfs
November 16th, 2012, 02:14
So any word on the progress?

ddavison
November 17th, 2012, 17:16
Unfortunately, we've slipped backwards since we peaked out at around #83. Falling off the first page of New Releases seems to have a major impact on our total number of views. We still don't know how the number of favorites translates to the number of actual votes, but having the link in your favorites does increase the chances it will be shown to any "friends" you have set within Steam.

unerwünscht
November 17th, 2012, 18:43
I honestly do not know if it will help in any way or not. But I have a friend who works for Steam, and I made sure to mention how awesome Fantasy Grounds is to him today. He asked if I could run a game for him sometime after Thanksgiving.

ddavison
November 17th, 2012, 23:41
It can't hurt... unless you kill his character off. :)

jhfurnish
November 30th, 2012, 10:27
So how is this coming along? Is it likely to happen? I already have the game but I certainly would like to see the community increase.

zerothis
January 9th, 2013, 15:35
This game is listed as Mac and Linux but it isn't. It is merely WINE compatible. Don't say its Mac & Linux because you lying.

JohnD
January 9th, 2013, 16:27
This game is listed as Mac and Linux but it isn't. It is merely WINE compatible. Don't say its Mac & Linux because you lying.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16754

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16755

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16758

unerwünscht
January 9th, 2013, 16:32

I just looked it up on steam. They do not claim that it is Mac or Linux compatible. They say it can load on Mac and Linux through WINE. So.... what exactly is your issue?

dberkompas
January 9th, 2013, 17:50
Nice first post, welcome to the boards (jeesh).

>>>Don't say its Mac & Linux because you lying.

BoomerET

Willot
January 9th, 2013, 20:21

And at the end of the day, it does run on linux. Does Minecraft not really run on windows because it needs Java?

In my book if I click on the icon and it opens and runs who gives a stuff how it got there...

damned
January 9th, 2013, 22:31

it quite clearly states:

Operating Systems supported: Windows primarily, with support for Mac and Linux via Wine. We are completing a wrapper for Wine that will make it indistinguishable from a native Mac app. We have been stable on Mac and Linux for the lasts several years and have purposefully limited all new code to features that are well supported in Wine.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/97590652

damned
January 9th, 2013, 22:39
zerothis if you are interested in a great Virtual Tabletop application and you are a linux user dont let WINE put you off. WINE or any of its many variants are great tools to broaden the usefulness of your platform allowing you to run great software you would otherwise miss out on.

ddavison
January 10th, 2013, 05:27
Hello zerothis, I am sorry if you feel that we misrepresented the connection with WINE in any way. As others have already addressed, we try to be very up front and honest about this from the beginning.

We do think Fantasy Grounds runs very well on Mac, is very stable and worth the small additional effort. I recommend using the same approach for other Mac and Linux apps as well since it will greatly expand your options of available software.

JohnD
May 26th, 2013, 05:57
Any update on the status of this?

ddavison
May 26th, 2013, 18:11
We have over 14K "YES" votes but we are actually falling farther out of the rankings and are no longer in the Top 100. Our ratio of "YES" votes to visitors is remaining about the same but we just don't get the traffic to the Greenlight page that we need to move it forward. I'm hopeful that cross-promotion on a future Kickstarter page will bring the necessary visitors for a solid 30 day window.

ddavison
September 6th, 2013, 03:32
There has been an update. I've dropped my frequency of visits down to just once a week or so and I quit checking the Item Stats every day or more. While we were hovering around #100 for some time, we have now moved up into the top 50 and are currently at a rank of #31 out of 1,396 Greenlight offerings. If we can get a solid push from our current users, it just may be enough to move us into the Top 10 or at least within notice of the Valve crew.

The next time you launch Steam, please search Greenlight for Fantasy Grounds and give us a Yes vote. Every vote helps.

-ddavison

AstaSyneri
September 6th, 2013, 08:38
There has been an update. I've dropped my frequency of visits down to just once a week or so and I quit checking the Item Stats every day or more. While we were hovering around #100 for some time, we have now moved up into the top 50 and are currently at a rank of #31 out of 1,396 Greenlight offerings. If we can get a solid push from our current users, it just may be enough to move us into the Top 10 or at least within notice of the Valve crew.

The next time you launch Steam, please search Greenlight for Fantasy Grounds and give us a Yes vote. Every vote helps.

You can only do this once, right? Additional visits are not counted, or am I mistaken?

JohnD
September 6th, 2013, 14:57
You can only do this once, right? Additional visits are not counted, or am I mistaken?

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works, yes. Unfortunately!

ddavison
September 21st, 2013, 01:25
Okay, another update. We are now at #12 out of 1,410 Greenlight submissions. Valve seems to approve batches of 10 games or so at a time, so hopefully this means we are very close.

Dr0W
September 23rd, 2013, 05:36
If I'm not mistaken they are now approving batches of 25 games at a time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569792717395272271

CrimsonCrust
September 30th, 2013, 19:17
Once they register FG on steam can we just input the game like we would any other game we already own? Or will we have to pay for it again (I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find it.)

Moon Wizard
September 30th, 2013, 19:25
No idea. If we get accepted onto Steam, we'll have to look to see what it takes to get FG on the Steam platform, and what it offers in terms of features. Most likely, since I do not think we need most of the Steam "features", it will mainly be a distribution channel to get more players onto the product.

Regards,
JPG

CrimsonCrust
September 30th, 2013, 19:34
Awesome thanks :)

JohnD
September 30th, 2013, 20:38
I'm pretty sure you can "add" a game to your profile that is a Steam game but wasn't bought via Steam.

Sounds complicated and convoluted, admittedly.

I don't know if it tracks your useage the same, and I certainly don't think you can then download it from Steam (as you haven't purchased the Steam version), but you can have it listed on your profile.

Griogre
September 30th, 2013, 21:11
The developers can also give out steam keys to existing users though I don't know the details and they can make the app/game link into steam as well. They may well be costs to this type of linking though, and if Steam is used to just distribute/sell FG, they might not be worth it. Steam may also charge to distribute copies so it might not make sense to let users download the unregistered/demo version on Steam. The exposure on Stream would help a lot and you could do things like making FG free to use and available during FG Con or selling single session or day use tickets.

ddavison
September 30th, 2013, 23:12
If it doesn't cost us anything to give out keys, we'll strongly consider going that route for existing customers. Moon_wizard and I will have to discuss in greater detail once we have all the info from Valve.

Mgrancey
September 30th, 2013, 23:35
Its not had to add a game to steam, at bottom left there is a button "+ Add A Game", then a non-steam game, which will have a pop up window display all the programs registered on your computer.

AstaSyneri
October 1st, 2013, 08:40
I asked my Hex guild to vote for FG - where is that ranking list of "next" Greenlight games? I can't find a ranking with FG on it :(.

Blahness98
October 2nd, 2013, 19:14
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet... but Fantasy Grounds has been officially greenlit! Way to go!

CrimsonCrust
October 2nd, 2013, 19:22
Wow Really? That is exciting. Hopefully some of these questions we all have can be answered soon to.

:)

JohnD
October 2nd, 2013, 19:22
Excellent exciting news... let's hope there's a good influx of users.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2013, 19:36
Have to wait for Doug to figure out the details, and then see what the platform requires. It's great news, and hopefully will expand the user base.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
October 2nd, 2013, 19:40
Congrats, I think its great news. :D

Mgrancey
October 2nd, 2013, 20:14
With this hope for more people to use FG!

JohnD
October 2nd, 2013, 20:17
Yes, more paying users would be a positive for everyone.

One thing to keep in mind, I believe that every game available via Steam has a forum on the Steam site established for it. Usually there are people who just frequent those boards and never make it to the "official" boards... have seen that with a few other games. You may need some kind of Community Manager for over on Steam, unless you want to wear that hat as well.

Most of the questions will be the usual ones we've all seen on here, so there won't be anything new from that perspective.

CrimsonCrust
October 2nd, 2013, 20:37
I think their should be a way to link those forums up? I know on a lot of sites they have the same information on their forums as what is on the steam site. So maybe something like that could be developed. I am sure they will be informed of all their options though.

JohnD
October 2nd, 2013, 20:58
I think their should be a way to link those forums up? I know on a lot of sites they have the same information on their forums as what is on the steam site. So maybe something like that could be developed. I am sure they will be informed of all their options though.

I get the impression that there are a lot of gamers on Steam that quite simply never leave that site. If the discussion isn't there, they aren't interested. I saw this pretty well daily when I was active in the NWN2 community.

Steam will also want FG to have a presence in their forums, not just a re-director link to here.

So, like it or not, there will need to be a presence with Steam; I'd suspect that is a non-negotiable bullet point.

Look at all the sub-forums at https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ - there is one for each game (and then some perhaps).

One thing I noticed is a lot of people who are "on the fence" about a purchase go to the Steam forums and inform their decision by not only the information found in the forum, but also the general activity level of posters there. If it looks "dead" they move on to something else. So developer presence will be needed, as well as some regulars from here should spend some time there answering questions, offering demo sessions, organizing one-off games, etc....

ddavison
October 2nd, 2013, 22:01
Thanks for all your support. We are excited about this new opportunity and what it can do for the community by bringing in new players and old-time RPG fans that never heard of us. Valve never contacted us in advance, so we found out by email today just as they were making the announcement. Now we need to read through all the documentation, the SDK, etc. and figure out the best way to proceed. We have an idea, but there were still many unknowns.

I appreciate the extra feedback on the forums and the Steam customer experience in general. Many of our best ideas seem to come from your suggestions, so keep them coming.

-Doug

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2013, 22:20
And the FG Con 3 call for GMs has just gone live too, this could be a great opportunity to get players in the Steam community interested in Fantasy Grounds.

The FG Con 3 website is now live with a call for GMs: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19654-Call-for-GMs!-FG-Con-3-November-1st-3rd-2013

Player registration will begin in a few days - first we need a nice list of events! :-)

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2013, 22:21
And the FG Con 3 call for GMs has just gone live too, this could be a great opportunity to get players in the Steam community interested in Fantasy Grounds.

The FG Con 3 website is now live with a call for GMs: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19654-Call-for-GMs!-FG-Con-3-November-1st-3rd-2013

Player registration will begin in a few days - first we need a nice list of events! :-)

DM_BK
October 4th, 2013, 05:00
I know there has already been a great deal of discussion on the license pricing (here and the thread on Steam). I'm sure your tired of talking about it but I want to toss in my 2 cents on something which I haven't seen anyone else bring up yet.

I'm sure you all realize the opportunity here with Steam but I think the current license model is too complicated to work with Steam. Ultimate, full, light, free(to connect to ultimate)...it's to much. You got to slim that down, it's going to cause you head aches in dealing with consumer confusion. You don't see models like that on Steam today so the average Steam shopper is going to be turned off when confronted by it.

My suggestion:
Sell only the full license for $20 - $25 a person. Everyone has to buy a full license from now on, even if they aren't a GM.

I also think that's likely too high for that market but it gives you a starting point to feel out how well your sell through is. Likely you are going to need to discount that further, either long term or via sales from time to time.

I personally own an ultimate license, I love the concept and never felt like I paid too much for it. I have gotten years of use and will get many years to come. But I also understand that that isn't going to work in the Steam universe. I know that I'm only typical for this forum, but atypical when compared to the average Steam shopper.

I hope you wildly succeed...keeping everything as simple as possible, I believe, will help you greatly.

One final point: Keep in mind that the sales projections that Steam gives you might not completely work for your product as you aren't selling an actual game. They might not have data that applies very well to your unique situation.

Good luck!
BK

JohnD
October 4th, 2013, 15:52

Someone should update this information on the FG page in Greenlight... what's there now refers to the last Con.

JohnD
October 4th, 2013, 15:55
I would sell the Lite version and the GM functionality as DLC myself, but I do see the pluses in one version, adding extra content via adventures and so forth.

CrimsonCrust
October 4th, 2013, 16:26
I am just curious as to what they are going to do with us Ultimate License Users. If anything. However time will tell. So no reason to get my knickers in a knot. (lol)

Griogre
October 4th, 2013, 21:01
I think they are unlikely to do anything different with the current Ultimate license holders.

There are different versions of Games, like director cuts, ultimate editions, gold editions ect. The lowest version they are going to sell on Steam would be the base FG product, likely the Lite version. The upgrades could be all sold as DLCs or just different versions. FG already does bundle pricing so the four packs and such would work and the gifting mechanism is already in place and expected on Steam. The biggest problem I would see from a marketing perspective is the Ultimate Edition. Typically, an Ultimate Edition in a game has the most bells and whistles. For FG the Ultimate Version is no better than the Full version from the GM's feature perspective - its just better for his players in they don't have to have a paid license. The Steam community *is* use to everyone buying a version of the game to play multiplayer though so I'm not even sure if the Ultimate License is really necessary to sell on Steam, but if it was it would be the version that needed the most explaining. It might be better to change the name of the license to something else like "GM and Friends" license bundle with one ultimate license and an unlimited number of unregistered licenses.

JohnD
October 4th, 2013, 21:12
You have people on Steam who will be accustomed to paying for a game/program they want to try out... offering a free to play option really doesn't motivate those multitudes to put down their $20.

What does this do to those of us who have the Ultimate version? Well, I don't know... if no free demo exists, then people need at least a Lite as that's the only option.

Maybe the Ultimate licenses get grandfathered but no new ones are available? Why would you want an Ultimate license if FG is encouraging Steam sales? Surely you'd rather have someone pay $20 for a Lite (basic?) version than utilize a free demo.

One way or the other a move to distribution/sales on Steam is going to change things.

S Ferguson
October 4th, 2013, 22:48
You have people on Steam who will be accustomed to paying for a game/program they want to try out... offering a free to play option really doesn't motivate those multitudes to put down their $20.

What does this do to those of us who have the Ultimate version? Well, I don't know... if no free demo exists, then people need at least a Lite as that's the only option.

Maybe the Ultimate licenses get grandfathered but no new ones are available? Why would you want an Ultimate license if FG is encouraging Steam sales? Surely you'd rather have someone pay $20 for a Lite (basic?) version than utilize a free demo.

One way or the other a move to distribution/sales on Steam is going to change things.

Making any alternate move in distribution and sales invariably changes the way things are processed. At least in my humble experience. Steam, however has the masses.

Regards,
SF

Profcrab
October 5th, 2013, 20:41
My group has been using FG for our recent campaign and after seeing it greenlit on Steam, I would love to be able to have a full version on Steam. I wouldn't want to pay full price for the game a second time, but I'd pay a fee to have a steam version of my same license. I'd prefer to be connecting to my friend's games using Steam's join features rather than the current server setup in FG.

As for what is going to change? FG is going to be what it is, a tool for people who want to play P&P games online with their friends. Putting it on steam increases the visibility and, if everything meshes well Steam's community features, it's ease of use. It won't necessarily drive more people to try P&P, but it will make FG even more of the go-to tool for those that do.

I don't think you'll have much of an ultimate license crowd, but maybe it would be a good idea to offer 1 $30 license that is a full license and get rid of the Lite version. It's simpler and if you consider an average group of 4 players, your revenue is even higher. $39 full + 3 X $24 lite = $111. 4 x $30 full licenses = $120.

This eliminates price and feature confusion and raises the perceived value of the purchase.

knas
November 10th, 2013, 16:03
I am considering buying FG, but seeing a steam version is on it's way and a third edition as well should I just hold off?

I won't buy the game twice and I'll definitely prefer to have it on steam and of course the latest installment!

thanks for any replies :)

Knas

Trenloe
November 10th, 2013, 17:09
I am considering buying FG, but seeing a steam version is on it's way and a third edition as well should I just hold off?

I won't buy the game twice and I'll definitely prefer to have it on steam and of course the latest installment!
If you buy FG 2.9.4 (current release) there will be no upgrade cost to go to FG 3.0. This will be a free upgrade via the built-in Fantasy Grounds update mechanism.

knas
November 10th, 2013, 18:53
If you buy FG 2.9.4 (current release) there will be no upgrade cost to go to FG 3.0. This will be a free upgrade via the built-in Fantasy Grounds update mechanism.

Oh that's great, will I also be able to add the game to my steam library once it releases there?

Griogre
November 10th, 2013, 22:51
Unfortunately, we're not sure exactly on how Steam integration is going to work yet. The Smiteworks guys have been concentrating on releasing 3.0 (they are a couple men part time company) and haven't finished working out how Steam and the current user base are going to work. If its a total deal breaker if FG won't be in your library on Steam you might want to wait and see how they integrate things.

Finally, to make sure you are on the same page - you know FG isn't really a game, right? Its just a utility that allows you to play roleplaying games over the Internet.

knas
November 10th, 2013, 23:15
Unfortunately, we're not sure exactly on how Steam integration is going to work yet. The Smiteworks guys have been concentrating on releasing 3.0 (they are a couple men part time company) and haven't finished working out how Steam and the current user base are going to work. If its a total deal breaker if FG won't be in your library on Steam you might want to wait and see how they integrate things.

Finally, to make sure you are on the same page - you know FG isn't really a game, right? Its just a utility that allows you to play roleplaying games over the Internet.

Cheers for the reply!

Yeah I am aware it's not a game :) Been using Roll20 for a while but this just looks a lot nicer so I'd love to get it. My players insist on us waiting for the steam release though. Might pick up my license and start building some stuff in the meantime.

damned
November 11th, 2013, 04:41
welcome aboard (one way or another) Knas. its a great product - it has a learning curve but it does work very well.

Griogre
November 11th, 2013, 04:46
Ah, yeah. I like Steam as a place to keep my games as well. I've gotten to the point where if it isn't offered on Steam and it isn't an AAA game title I often don't get it. I think you'll like FG from the GM prep side where you don't have storage limits other than your hard drive. Most of the better VTTs including Rolld20 have good player experiences but the amount of data entry and prep time on the GM side can vary wildly from VTT to VTT. If you use VoIP then the amount of data you need to input for an adventure in FG is low - if you have the monsters in a library module.

Blacky
November 21st, 2013, 03:56
I've gotten to the point where if it isn't offered on Steam and it isn't an AAA game title I often don't get it.
Be careful. A bug in the Steam servers, some mistake on Valve part mistakenly taking something for cheating for example, whatever, and poof all your games are gone. Just like that. And, even if we can't imagine it right now, Valve and Steam aren't immortal. The day the Steam servers are gone, so are all your games. If you don't think such a thing possible, ask people who bought digital music from Microsoft back in the days.

In any cases, Steam is a DRM. Yes Steam can be useful, and sometimes one doesn't have a choice, but it has all the drawbacks of DRM.

You might want to look at Humble Bundle and GOG. Both good ways to get great games, great prices, and no DRM at all.

Griogre
November 21st, 2013, 04:47
True, and and some good points - but to me most games have a shelf life. Some of your drawbacks are mitigated by Steam's offline mode, though. One of the reasons I originally chose FG was because it would run without a Smitework's server. This was more important to me in a VTT than a game because I run RPG campaigns for years while I'll rarely play a game more than 6-8 months and usually less.

Mgrancey
November 21st, 2013, 05:01
The need for an internet connection is a very good down side as I have made use of FG on my tablet for running and having to have an internet connection would be quite troublesome both power and access wise.

Dr0W
November 21st, 2013, 18:32
You don't need internet connection on steam, you can use it in offline mode and I'm pretty sure you won't be required to use steam: You can keep using FG the way you always used.

ddavison
May 7th, 2014, 18:41
After a long wait, FG will finally be released on Steam this Friday, May 9th at 11 a.m. PST. (GMT-8). If you already have a license for FG, you should be able to add the Demo to your Steam account and when you launch it to Play, it should see that you already have a licensed copy of FG installed and run that and a small Steam helper app. Steam users and non-Steam users should be able to game together using the same methods as before.

If you buy DLC through Steam or through our store, it should both be recognized by the same install. I'm currently working on getting the Workshop app created that will allow you to upload adventures, portraits, modules, maps and tokens to the Steam Workshop for Fantasy Grounds and choose if you want to sell them or give them away for free. Not all the add-ons will be posted immediately, but we are working on getting them loaded in a timely fashion.

You can help by uploading any Guides, Artwork or Videos you've already created (or want to create) to the FG Community pages. There is now a LFG discussion forum there as well, but please let me know if you believe there should be anything else added at this time.

JohnD
May 7th, 2014, 20:36
Links to the relevant pages/forum on Steam might be helpful for some.

dberkompas
May 7th, 2014, 20:43
Here ya go: (https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/)

ddavison
May 8th, 2014, 14:55
Here is a link to the Store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/?snr=1_4_4__105_1
(https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/?snr=1_4_4__105_1)

grimm182
May 8th, 2014, 17:07
As an steam fan boy, i go to that page and from a "steam gamer" perspective i see a game that no one plays...some games get massive amount of posts.

Now i know we don't want to divide the community as this site is the best place to discuss all things Fantasy Grounds...but I think it would be a good idea for an official post there to direct people to this community for more information.

I would also add that we should cross post tutorials/videos and basic info on new/current rulesets there...then point them back here. So that those who use steam to find info actually get it vs. not knowing it exists via Steam.

:)

JohnD
May 8th, 2014, 17:19
Yes I've mentioned before but people will look to forum activity on the Steam site to guage activity, not necessarily come here. People need to be active there as well.

Also, I see indications that games are scheduled arranged at least in part via the Campaign Page listings. Pet peeve (admittedly) but any idea of whether or not that's going to be cleaned up somehow sometime soon? Just need a few people to post over on Steam how there are only dead campaign listings from 3+ years ago to kill potential sales.

grimm182
May 8th, 2014, 18:45
Grimm182: Will PROMOTE FG VIA Steam for an ULTIMATE LIC UPGRADE!!! ;)

on a serious note I feel that I am only a casual user and not the best spokesperson..considering some of the other knowledgeable users here.

ddavison
May 8th, 2014, 20:08
The Demo is now live on Fantasy Grounds. If possible, please try to install and launch the demo from Steam and let us know if it has any problems recognizing and launching your actual licensed copy of Fantasy Grounds instead.

Thanks guys.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2014, 20:21
The Demo is now live on Fantasy Grounds. If possible, please try to install and launch the demo from Steam and let us know if it has any problems recognizing and launching your actual licensed copy of Fantasy Grounds instead.
Installed the demo and on starting up it recognised my custom installation folders and my ultimate license. :)

dberkompas
May 8th, 2014, 20:29
Same here, no problems/issues at this time.

BoomerET

ddavison
May 8th, 2014, 21:42
Thanks for the feedback. We have some users who are unable to install and run the demo, so we are trying to track down the differences. Which OS are you all running from?

Trenloe
May 8th, 2014, 21:45
Thanks for the feedback. We have some users who are unable to install and run the demo, so we are trying to track down the differences. Which OS are you all running from?
Windows 7 64-bit.

Dr0W
May 8th, 2014, 21:47
Are we, who have already purchased fg2, getting shiny steam keys to show our love for the product? I'd love to run it instead of the demo.

dberkompas
May 8th, 2014, 21:55
Win 7 Enterprise.

Did not have Steam installed. (But did have FG stand-alone installed)
1. Install Steam
2. Install FG Demo
3. Run FG Demo
4. Successfully run FG

BoomerET

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 00:02
Thanks guys. We had a problem with 32-bit operating systems that I think we have resolved now. Now I'm getting some errors about the launcher's base.xml missing. I'll be glad to work out the kinks with the demo before people pay us any money and then get errors. :)

Dr0W, we opted for using third-party keys instead of Steam generated keys so that we could continue to use our same licensing routines. If I can find a way to do it still without it generating a new license code for you, I'll let you know (and everyone else of course.)

Eru the One
May 9th, 2014, 01:15
Is the Steam Overlay fully supported or should we disable it? I'm having mixed results (not opening, lag, not closing; it varies). I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit if that matters any.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 01:46
Probably disable it. For those of us who rarely use that feature, would you mind posting the steps to disable so that I can share that out on the Steam discussions if necessary?

Eru the One
May 9th, 2014, 01:57
1. Go to Games Library
2. Locate "Fantasy Grounds Demo"
3. Right-click on "Fantasy Grounds Demo" and choose "Properties"
4. Un-check "Enable Steam Overlay while in-game"
5. Close Properties window and you're all set.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 02:23
Thanks Eru the One.

Dr0W
May 9th, 2014, 11:45
Dr0W, we opted for using third-party keys instead of Steam generated keys so that we could continue to use our same licensing routines. If I can find a way to do it still without it generating a new license code for you, I'll let you know (and everyone else of course.)

I completely understand. Just letting you know I've been through this more than once, I've bought games that were in development and when they joined Steam they could handle us keys for activating our game without giving us a *new* game. Desktop Dungeons is a good example, you could play it (and still can) through their website and when they released on Steam they handled us keys that would let us activate the game on Steam (it would show as purchased) but not a new key to create an account on their game servers. So I know it's possible, but it probably would have to do with the deal you guys have with steam.

Once I heard about plans on making the Full version working like Ultimate when it releases on steam. Is that likely to happen? Are we having multiple prices on steam too?

It's really just a matter of names. I'd like it to show "Fantasy Grounds 2" instead of "Fantasy Grounds 2 Demo". It really, REALLY helps with advertising as your friends would see you on this game(or software) and ask you about it. "Hey, I see you purchased this software. Is it really cool?". That's how I end up buying new games or even making my friends buy games I like so I can play with them.

But thanks again for bringing it to Steam. Now I own an Ultimate license, but back in the day it was a pain in the a** to have people from brazil to buy it (and play with me), now Steam makes things much easier for us, since we can pay using national credit cards or even directly to our banks. Thanks a lot for the effort, as a Steam fanboy I'll be pretty active on FG2 forums there to help steam newbies out.

Tiqon
May 9th, 2014, 12:00

Thanks guys.

Painless :).

darkling
May 9th, 2014, 16:48
Set up and works fine :)

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 16:56
Thanks everyone. Be sure to join the Fantasy Grounds official group on Steam. That will let you receive announcements and event notifications and participate in the Group Chat feature with other logged on Steam users.

There are links from the group back to the forums here, the wiki and the Facebook page.

Griogre
May 9th, 2014, 19:05
I ran the demo on steam and everything worked fine, in fact, I ran the updater that way to get the Ultimate version upgrade this weekend. One unrelated thing I noticed though. My original FG shortcut on my Desktop still says Fantasy Grounds II. This might cause confusion to new players who are looking for FG3. You might want to update desktop shortcuts, and the start button menu names from FGII to FG III. I presume new installs actually say FG3 but you might want to confirm it.

ColinBuckler
May 9th, 2014, 19:34
As a pre-steam FG owner, I have just download FG via steam and it all appears to work fine.

What didn't work, was trying to by an item on Steam as it was on sale (SW Adventure Deck) saying that I did not own FG and therefore couldn't buy the sale item. I guess this means all other FG content will not be available on steam as well...

dulux-oz
May 9th, 2014, 19:50
OK, as I'm not a heavy Steam User, could someone explain to me how I can get Steam to recognise my existing Ultimate License so that I can upload my Tutorial Videos to the FG Community Hub?

I've already followed the instructions on Steam, downloaded the Demo (which immediately found my non-Steam Key) and added myself to the Community Group, but FG doesn't show up in the list of games I own to attach the Video too.

Cheers

JohnD
May 9th, 2014, 20:07
See there's still bitching and moaning about actually *shock* *gasp* having to pay for the time and effort to put the application together (i.e. "why can't it be free")... hopefully that falls by the wayside.

Need to schedule some one-offs specifically for Steam newcomers.

nezzir
May 9th, 2014, 20:29
No problems running the steam version. I had ultimate installed, loaded and ran the demo version, and it recognized my license seamlessly.

My only complaint is that it still reports to my friends list that I'm running the "demo" version. I would like it to report that I am running Ultimate so my list knows they may connect to me without a license.

darkling
May 9th, 2014, 20:54
Are you going to generate steam keys for existing owners so we don't all show demo? :)

Archais
May 9th, 2014, 20:57
I've just got the game through Steam. Completely out of my depth at the moment as haven't done much tabletop, just wanting to get a better feel for things!

JohnD
May 9th, 2014, 21:35
I've just got the game through Steam. Completely out of my depth at the moment as haven't done much tabletop, just wanting to get a better feel for things!

Good choice and welcome! :)

Tiqon
May 9th, 2014, 21:38
When I look at games on Steam I have doubts about buying, I look at a bunch of reviews both good and bad (you can read reviews alllllll the way in the buttom of the store page), to get an overview of what other Steam users say about it. You can also see how many hours someone reviewing the game has actually used in the game. I really like this feature and try to make short reviews myself. But you can't with FG when its "Just a demo" as you don't own it. Its a shame I think... Just a thought.

darkling
May 9th, 2014, 21:54
Another idea would be to make the base app "free" and scrapping there even being a demo listed, then let people jam the license keys they buy in as they see fit.

So that'll mean everyone would be able to DL it and players can have it unregged for playing with Ultimate-license owning DM's, nobody is listed as running the demo, and you can still sell the licenses for 30/40/150.

That should be doable, that's kinda how Steams F2P games work.

Either way. It's great its on steam. I'm sure y'all will work out the kinks in time.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 22:02
Another idea would be to make the base app "free" and scrapping there even being a demo listed, then let people jam the license keys they buy in as they see fit.

So that'll mean everyone would be able to DL it and players can have it unregged for playing with Ultimate-license owning DM's, nobody is listed as running the demo, and you can still sell the licenses for 30/40/150.

That should be doable, that's kinda how Steams F2P games work.

Either way. It's great its on steam. I'm sure y'all will work out the kinks in time.

I'm communicating with my Valve contact to see the best approach for addressing that. Either new keys for the 27K+ folks here (sheesh, that might be painful) or a way to relabel the demo to just Fantasy Grounds.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 22:03
OK, as I'm not a heavy Steam User, could someone explain to me how I can get Steam to recognise my existing Ultimate License so that I can upload my Tutorial Videos to the FG Community Hub?

I've already followed the instructions on Steam, downloaded the Demo (which immediately found my non-Steam Key) and added myself to the Community Group, but FG doesn't show up in the list of games I own to attach the Video too.

Cheers

It took me a couple tries before it showed up for me in the dropdown. I may have had to exit Steam and log back in before it picked it up. If you still don't see it listed in the games available for the video, let me know and I can ask our Valve contact for next steps.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 22:05
As a pre-steam FG owner, I have just download FG via steam and it all appears to work fine.

What didn't work, was trying to by an item on Steam as it was on sale (SW Adventure Deck) saying that I did not own FG and therefore couldn't buy the sale item. I guess this means all other FG content will not be available on steam as well...

Okay, that probably means we'll have to make a new package version instead of the Demo which also has DLC available -- or link the DLC to the Demo as well. I'll get back to you on this.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 22:14
The launch sale of 25% will go on for a week, so we will get it fixed before then.

nezzir
May 9th, 2014, 22:55
Let us know when it's fixed, please. I was thinking about buying that same deck to test out the Steam DLC mechanics in FG.

ddavison
May 9th, 2014, 23:40
Regarding Activation of Keys purchased outside of Steam:

I think we have a fix. I'm not sure if we'll get it loaded before the weekend, but it should be shortly afterward at worst. We can send a list of all the previously sold license keys for Full, Lite-to-Full upgrades, and Ultimates to Valve and they will load them in so they are recognized if you choose Active Product. Since we are not currently selling the Ultimate license through Steam and may not be able to due to some technical hurdles, this would mean all of those license types would show up simply as Fantasy Grounds. Is this okay?

It's possible we may find a way to also say Ultimates, in which case we could hold off on Ultimate people for now and just activate regular keys now and Ultimates later. Let us know your preferences and it will help with our decision process.

nezzir
May 9th, 2014, 23:57
Personally, I'd like mine to say Ultimate, but I mostly want it not to say Demo.I don't mind waiting if it can say Ultimate.

Dr0W
May 10th, 2014, 00:28
It would be fine.

ddavison
May 10th, 2014, 02:39
Okay, it looks like I'll have to wait until Monday anyway. I need the support from Valve and it slipped past the end of their working hours before we got it resolved. We have some time to decide... but we may be able to put Ultimates on early next week anyway and then the problem is moot.

damned
May 10th, 2014, 02:53
hey @ddavision - looking at the Steam site it appears there is just the one license. Is the license there the equivalent of a Full license? Will Lites and Ultimates continue to be available here?

ddavison
May 10th, 2014, 03:09
It is the equivalent of the Full license. We didn't want to confuse new people on Steam with talk of all the different types of licenses. We may add Ultimates to Steam next week if Valve can help us overcome some obstacles with it -- otherwise there will just be the one and a 4-pack which is at almost 50% at the moment with the combination of the buy 3 get 1 free pricing we set, plus the 25% launch discount plus a typographical error by our contact at Valve when they set the price. :)

We are leaning towards dropping the Lite license altogether and making the license a flat $30. Our discount pricing on Steam will help us tell if this is a good price point.

Qai
May 10th, 2014, 03:21
Congrats on the Steam release! The forums have been quite active all day and a lot of interest has been generated as people discover FG. I'd like to ask what SW has planned long-term with regards to FG Steam and non-Steam development? Will the two streams remain independent yet compatible with each other, or are there plans to eventually migrate everything over to Steam? Or is Steam just another revenu stream to exploit? I am a heavy Steam user and supporter, and I'm excited to see FG finally on that platform, but FG is actually one product that I prefer to use outside of Steam.

Moon Wizard
May 10th, 2014, 03:37
Since we sell in multiple distribution platforms, we want to maintain compatibility for all FG users to play with each other. Currently, the Steam version is just a special helper app that calls the existing FG installation.

Cheers,
JPG

dulux-oz
May 10th, 2014, 05:25
It took me a couple tries before it showed up for me in the dropdown. I may have had to exit Steam and log back in before it picked it up. If you still don't see it listed in the games available for the video, let me know and I can ask our Valve contact for next steps.

Hi DD,

Yeah, FG is still not showing up in my Games List for Videos - bugga!

Its a shame: would have been nice to have the Tutorial Videos up on the Community Hub for the weekend launch - oh well, let's hope the Valve Boys get this sorted so we can get them up asap - I really want FG to flourish - on or of Stream - as I'm sure you do!

Oh, for the record, I'd prefer my Steam copy to say "Ultimate" - but its not a deal-breaker for me :)

Hear from you soon on this

Cheers

martel
May 10th, 2014, 09:01
Hey,

1) I dont understand...the pack 4 on steam (it is 4 licences Lite ok ?) it is 89.90€ and when i divide 89.90/4 = 22.48€ ..but in your store it is 24$ after conversion in euro = 17€ ....???

2)I'd much rather buy a ultimate license on FG site without worries given license numbers lite players, and if the player no longer wishes to be part of the table, it will be my key ..... yes ? no ?

is what I'm wrong?

damned
May 10th, 2014, 09:39
Martel - the Ultimate is yours and yours only but you can invite ANYONE to come and play at no extra cost. The only downside to the Ultimate license is you can't hand it over to someone else to play as GM - it is your license only. If you worry that your group will change over time or you cant get them to stump up the cash the Ultimate is a great deal - BUT - if you want to have more than one GM go the Full Licenses.
The $24 license here is a PLAYER only license - the licenses on Steam are GM and Player licenses and its a pretty good deal - normally $39each.

EDIT: Clarified that you *can't* handover an ultimate license to another GM.

Griogre
May 10th, 2014, 09:58
To avoid any confusion, owners of of Ultimate licenses can have anyone as a player but ONLY the Ultimate license holder can GM for a group. If someone else wants to GM he to must then get an Ultimate license of their own. Thus if you know there will be more than one GM it is almost always cheaper as a group to get a mix of Full and Lite licenses.

martel
May 10th, 2014, 10:10
"the licenses on Steam are GM and Player licenses and its a pretty good deal - normally $39each." OK i haven't see this point..it is all licence FULL :-) thanks

but i want wait an ultimate discount ;-)

__doug__
May 11th, 2014, 02:01

I think we have a fix. I'm not sure if we'll get it loaded before the weekend, but it should be shortly afterward at worst. We can send a list of all the previously sold license keys for Full, Lite-to-Full upgrades, and Ultimates to Valve and they will load them in so they are recognized if you choose Active Product. Since we are not currently selling the Ultimate license through Steam and may not be able to due to some technical hurdles, this would mean all of those license types would show up simply as Fantasy Grounds. Is this okay?

It's possible we may find a way to also say Ultimates, in which case we could hold off on Ultimate people for now and just activate regular keys now and Ultimates later. Let us know your preferences and it will help with our decision process.

Glad to see FG available on Steam! Will a lite license work with steam or is steam support only for full or better licenses?

Thanks!

Doug

ddavison
May 11th, 2014, 02:56
Full and Ultimates only - and free/Demo. We are not loading Lite licenses onto Steam to avoid confusion with the different license types.

DrakosDJ
May 11th, 2014, 06:00

I would prefer it to Be listed as Ultimate.

JohnD
May 11th, 2014, 08:24
Personally it would be enough to list as Fantasy Grounds.

Oberoten
May 11th, 2014, 18:11
I find that Fg lags horribly when you have the steam-interface activated.

ddavison
May 11th, 2014, 19:13
Yes, we find that you have to turn off the Steam Overlay. I didn't see a way to set that as an automatic configuration, but I plan to ask our Valve contact tomorrow.

JohnD
May 11th, 2014, 19:32
Just curious how the first few days have gone... do we have an influx of new users on the horizon? :)

ddavison
May 11th, 2014, 19:43
It went pretty nicely for a launch. We are right at about 500 new users through Steam alone. 2,630 demos downloaded. 1 bogus negative review after using it for 6 mins and 1 positive review from someone who used it for 14 hours.

Tiqon
May 11th, 2014, 19:57
And no reviews from the old timer as we dont own it ;) (I know, I know, it will get there... :)). 500 new users!!! sounds like we have some posts to answer the next couple of week eh? :), when they all come storming to the forums to ask questions. You are all stocked up on red bull and coffee?

ddavison
May 11th, 2014, 20:01
For sure. 104 Discussions on Steam already. Whew!

Dr0W
May 11th, 2014, 22:12
Once you guys sort out all initial problems and give the top priority items a fix... It would be nice if we got a nice FG profile background picture and even some collectible emoticons. I'd love a pen & paper background for my profile. ;D

damned
May 11th, 2014, 23:32
@Tiqon and any others who hae a spare 10mins here and there - many Steam users wont come here - they will use the Steam discussions - 104 already - it will help if a few people here can also contribute over there too - if you have time of course.

Thete
May 12th, 2014, 00:46
Congratulations, this is going to make it easier to guide new players to install the demo easier, looking forward to the social networking aspect too. easy calendars, easy groups, and a way to stay in contact with players

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 12:01
What if I buy FG now, from your site? Do I also get a steam key? Is it only the Full Licence, or also the Lite License that give me a steam key in that case?
It's a lot cheaper for me buying it here then to pay in € on steam ;)

Dr0W
May 12th, 2014, 13:24
They're not giving Steam keys yet. They're trying to sort this out with Valve, but I'm pretty sure only Full and Ultimate will give you keys on Steam, since there's no Lite on Steam. So far you can buy it here and play on Steam using the Demo, it will work.

ddavison
May 12th, 2014, 13:48
What if I buy FG now, from your site? Do I also get a steam key? Is it only the Full Licence, or also the Lite License that give me a steam key in that case?
It's a lot cheaper for me buying it here then to pay in € on steam ;)

Dr0W is correct. Only Fulls and Ultimates will give you a Steam key. We should be able to give Valve a list of all our Full and Ultimate keys that can then be used for activation on Steam. We have an outstanding question to see how frequently we can do this, since we will continue to sell licenses through our site and RPGNow as well as on Steam.

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 15:31
Dr0W is correct. Only Fulls and Ultimates will give you a Steam key. We should be able to give Valve a list of all our Full and Ultimate keys that can then be used for activation on Steam. We have an outstanding question to see how frequently we can do this, since we will continue to sell licenses through our site and RPGNow as well as on Steam.

That is as I thought. What if I also buy settings and rules through this site?

Griogre
May 12th, 2014, 15:42
It wouldn't matter where you get settings and rulesets - as long as they are installed correctly. An advantage steam has is it does this automatically and puts the files in the right place. That said, "installed correctly" means either running an installer program or opening a folder with a shortcut and dropping the some files into another folder. Nothing difficult, and trivial after you done it once.

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 15:48
It wouldn't matter where you get settings and rulesets - as long as they are installed correctly. An advantage steam has is it does this automatically and puts the files in the right place. That said, "installed correctly" means either running an installer program or opening a folder with a shortcut and dropping the some files into another folder. Nothing difficult, and trivial after you done it once.

Is it that simple? Does steam not look for some kind of proof (i.e copy protection) that it's a legit steam application?

JohnD
May 12th, 2014, 15:49
Man... the Steam discussions are so depressing. Hard to think some people can walk and chew gum at the same time without overheating their brain boxes. Either that or, deliberate trollz I suppose.

Take the good with the bad. :0

viresanimi
May 12th, 2014, 15:54
Well... One benefit of Steam is that the trollz probably stay on the Steam forums, rather than coming here, JohnD. I would hate to see the great community here drown in the tide of nonsensical brainlessness that Steam users can generate at times.

I honestly think that FG has one of the best communities I've seen online. Hugs for everyone!

Vires Animi

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 16:26
Did I Offend You Somehow?

JohnD
May 12th, 2014, 16:28
Did I Offend You Somehow?
Good Lord no. :p

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 16:38
Good Lord no. :p

Glad to hear that. I just asked some questions and the post right after mentions chewing gum, walking and brains in the same sentence. It did not feel so friendly and inviting.
But I'm guessing I'm just paranoid... or am I?

Griogre
May 12th, 2014, 16:48
It's always hard to tell tone on written posts. If you have questions, just ask, someone will answer them.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2014, 16:55
Glad to hear that. I just asked some questions and the post right after mentions chewing gum, walking and brains in the same sentence. It did not feel so friendly and inviting.
But I'm guessing I'm just paranoid... or am I?
I think JohnD's response was relating to the "Steam discussions" being depressing on the steam website, not here. I've already had to bite my tongue and "walk away" from a few threads on the FG discussion boards over on the Steam website. I'm sure some of it is just due to people being used to the usual Steam games and not knowing what a Pen-and-Paper RPG is and how to play it, not knowing how feature rich and mature Fantasy Grounds is, not understanding the cost of material/third party licensing, and/or having their own personal favourite VTT.

However, some posts have been very troll like in nature too...

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3168405760/hB71DC8B5/

Hopefully not here! :-o

dulux-oz
May 12th, 2014, 17:12
I've already had to bite my tongue and "walk away" from a few threads on the FG discussion boards over on the Steam website.

Ditto!

One of the great things about FG is the absolutely fantastic community - the best that I've ever seen in over 30 years of using the Internet (note, you young whipper snappers, I said Internet, not World Wide Web!)

True, you'll get some strong opinions here (mine, for example :p ), but to date there's never been any "Flame Wars" or anything like that.

Oh, or course, every now and then one of us will get on someone's nerves (you know who I mean [wink] [wink]), but its unlike anything I've ever experienced before online.

God I hope that the usual "stuff" that happens on most other community sites doesn't infect the site here!

Oh, and for all those coming over from the Steam site: 99.99999% of the stuff said here is said in jest and is never meant to offend - so let's all leave our paranoia at the door, shall we? :)

Cheers

Trenloe
May 12th, 2014, 17:58
Oh, no! I've been blocked:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Steam/Forum%20Post%20Limit.jpg

(Seen upon posting a reply in the Steam forums)

dberkompas
May 12th, 2014, 18:01
You dirty spammer. (j/k)

BoomerET

JohnD
May 12th, 2014, 18:15
Oh, and for all those coming over from the Steam site: 99.99999% of the stuff said here is said in jest and is never meant to offend - so let's all leave our paranoia at the door, shall we? :)

Cheers
Yeah - spot on D. Didn't mean to offend - just know from past games that the Steam discussions seem to quickly degenerate - was no comment directed to anyone here. :)

Liktorn
May 12th, 2014, 21:24
Yeah - spot on D. Didn't mean to offend - just know from past games that the Steam discussions seem to quickly degenerate - was no comment directed to anyone here. :)

Wow, I guess that I must be paranoid then ;-)
Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. No grudges!?

I have have been thinking of buying this application for 3 years now. Guess I finally have decided to go ahead.

damned
May 13th, 2014, 00:39
Welcome @Liktorn.
Honestly these guys here are so friendly.
Text on a screen can sometimes seem or feel or be interpreted differently to how it was intended.
There are no flame wars here - ever.
There are disagreements and sometimes spirited debate - but no flaming.

Qai
May 13th, 2014, 02:18
I'd like to echo the friendliness on these forums. It's a pleasure to read and participate in the discussions, and the help when needed is not belittling but, alas... helpful. Compared to other forums, I also noticed that people on here tend to use punctuation and proper grammar, for the most part, which is quite nice. Then again, playing RPGs kind of implies you need to be literate and put together coherent thoughts, which pretty much sums up this community.

dulux-oz
May 13th, 2014, 04:10
No grudges!?

Grudges! Nah!

I may drink like a Dwarf, eat like a Dwarf, look like a Dwarf, and even smell like a Dwarf (I need to do something about that!) but I certainly don't hold a grudge like a Dwarf.

Nah, I just kill 'em like a Dwarf!!!

Cheers

Oh, I almost forgot - don't forget to check out my Tutorial Videos - the links in my Sig, below (Another "Shameless Plug" brought to you by Dulux-Oz's Shameless Plugs, International) :p

Illrigger
May 13th, 2014, 05:12
I'm sure some of it is just due to people being used to the usual Steam games and not knowing what a Pen-and-Paper RPG is and how to play it, not knowing how feature rich and mature Fantasy Grounds is, not understanding the cost of material/third party licensing, and/or having their own personal favourite VTT.
Yeah, aside from the obvious trolls, you are going to see a LOT of fanboi objectionists on Steam. It's not FG, you see it in every game, and there's really no point in arguing with them. A hardcore fan's sole purpose is to make sure that everyone knows how much of a fan they are, and how much shinier their chosen idol is than everyone else's. It's hard to do because they love to open topics with things like "convince me why I should love this product" when they will never be convinced to do so, but it's best to just make your point so that other users understand it, and then move on. It becomes clear pretty quickly to anyone actually interested in FG that the guy is just trolling.

Also, don't be surprised by the number of "thumbs up" on negative comments. The sites that the fans of other engines run quickly rally whenever a competitor gets good press and they all come over to virtually spray paint penises on the walls for the first couple weeks, and then they get bored and move on.

dberkompas
May 13th, 2014, 06:23
Illrigger,

Thanks for that insight. Before FG, I had never been on the Steam forums, even though I have quite a few games on Steam.

So, when I start reading the forums, I wonder why there's so much negativity. I love your analogy of the VSPP's.

BoomerET

Valarian
May 13th, 2014, 08:40
Lowered myself to actually reading some of the Steam forum stuff yesterday. I love the negative review, obviously from a fan of Roll20 who goes on about it being free and then says that it does things that FG includes as standard (in the $40 price) and Roll20 only includes in their $10 a month package (like being able to create a new campaign with template macros, sheets, etc.). In the free version of Roll20 (even the version we kickstarter backers get) you have to start from scratch every time. So, in four months, FG has paid for itself in comparison.

Liktorn
May 13th, 2014, 10:45
Ok, I have finally bought FG! I'm so happy :D
I do also look forward to getting a Steam key. I love what steam has done to the gaming industry (having all your games in one app). But sadly I have to agree with the rest of you. There are quite a bunch of assholes on Steam as well. 99.99% of the Steam users are really friendly and nice guys. But with that massive amount of users 0.01% is still a lot of people... haters gonna hate!

I have one other question, if I may be so bold as to put it here. Do the players also need to buy rules/settings, or is it only me (as a GM)

Hope to see you a lot! Maybe even in a game sometime?

Dr0W
May 13th, 2014, 11:16
Only the gm needs to buy the ruleset. Welcome to fantasy grounds!

Mask_of_winter
May 13th, 2014, 13:39
I wanted to write a review for FG on Steam but can't figure out how. I'm an Ultimate License holder but installed the demo on steam. Perhaps only those who've purchased a license on Steam can write a review?

Qai
May 13th, 2014, 17:26
I wanted to write a review for FG on Steam but can't figure out how. I'm an Ultimate License holder but installed the demo on steam. Perhaps only those who've purchased a license on Steam can write a review? You should have access to write reviews once SW makes our Ultimate keys activateable on Steam so the full version of FG is added to your library.

Tiqon
May 13th, 2014, 17:48
Reading all the talk about trolls, mature people here and such, we have to keep being good examples on the Steam forum EVEN if you sometimes make a double facepalm and want to scream some sense into the trolls... Just saying, as I have stopped myself several times while answering a post. Better to just do what Trenlo do and "walk away".... Im at the point where I just shake my head and move on. Its hard, but it can be done. :).

ddavison
May 13th, 2014, 17:56
Good news!!!

Existing FG users can now "Activate a Product on Steam..." and enter their existing Full, Ultimate or Ultimate Upgrade Key to have Steam recognize that they own the product. This will allow you to buy DLC on steam, upload videos, reviews, screenshots, etc and will show up in the play list whenever you play it. Once the Ultimate licenses become available for purchase on Steam, we will link those with activation keys again so people can unlock another product that says Fantasy Grounds - Ultimate. For now, it won't hurt to unlock the basic Fantasy Grounds version and later unlock the Ultimate.

To activate, click Add a Game in the lower-left corner of your Steam client and select Activate a Product on Steam..

Qai
May 13th, 2014, 18:03
I can confirm that Ultimate activates on Steam. I activated through the OS X version, and immediately upon activation FG tries to install, yet FG is not listed in my game library as being available for MAC (this is OK for me, as I also have Windows installed and it's from there that I run FG. I just happen to be in OS X right now and reporting on what it's doing).

dulux-oz
May 13th, 2014, 19:16
Tutorial Videos successfully uploaded :)

ColinBuckler
May 13th, 2014, 19:54
OK - I have just registered my FG key of Steam and that all worked fine with the game now being recognised as owned.

I then purchased the SW Adventure Deck on Steam and now I cant seem to download it or install it it? It does not appear in the FG client or appear to have any where where I can download it from in Steam.

I think part of the problem is related to the registry and perhaps the install location of FG being outside of Steam....

Any ideas?

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 20:08
I then purchased the SW Adventure Deck on Steam and now I cant seem to download it or install it it? It does not appear in the FG client or appear to have any where where I can download it from in Steam.
Have you checked "Check Steam for DLC" in your FG settings window and then running an update?

ColinBuckler
May 13th, 2014, 20:12
Have you checked "Check Steam for DLC" in your FG settings window and then running an update?

Perfect - that has fixed it - its now downloaded !!! Many thanks for a quick response.

Mask_of_winter
May 13th, 2014, 20:52
Managed to successfully activate my product key. However, when I try to launch FG through Steam it fails and gives me a "missing executables" error. Still works fine if I launch it through my desktop though.

Tiqon
May 13th, 2014, 21:22
Nice :). Activated!

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2014, 21:24
Mask,

We don't have a native Mac/Linux executable yet, so you won't be able to launch directly from Steam yet.

We're working on figuring out how to create a wrapper.

Regards,
JPG

Mask_of_winter
May 13th, 2014, 21:31
Mask,

We don't have a native Mac/Linux executable yet, so you won't be able to launch directly from Steam yet.

We're working on figuring out how to create a wrapper.

Regards,
JPG

Odd since I'm on a PC.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 22:23
@Mask - I had a similar issue. Post #2 here fixed it for me: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530660751799/

Willot
May 14th, 2014, 00:46
There are disagreements and sometimes spirited debate - but no flaming.
Unless it involves a Sphere or Ball

Thete
May 14th, 2014, 01:56
Yup, don't even bother with the haters, better a few ugly posts than mile long flame wars- one reflects on the the individual, the other on the community.
I take it as proof of how healthy the VT options are that there is contentious 'debate' and desperate dissing of perceived competing platforms. I wouldn't argue [or rant] myself out of using any of the available tools out there, and am yet to meet an online player so rigid as to only accept one platform. Thankfully everyone seems to focus on the RPG not the VT.

TheMetal1
May 14th, 2014, 04:01
Thanks for getting this up on Steam. Got the demo and just activated it with my ultimate license. Have a face to face gaming group with a few guys moving, we intended to use my Ultimate License, but I think they'll all end up just getting the Steam download.

Nylanfs
May 14th, 2014, 05:22
It's funny how many people think this is just coming out. Of course I still run acrossed people that don't know about PCGen after 14 years too, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. :)

Tiqon
May 14th, 2014, 06:26
I was thinking, after reading some of the posts on Steam, that maybe we need a sticky post called "So you dont have and Pnp experience and wants to use FG?" or something like that. In this post you have to explain that FG will not hold your hand in learning to eg. make a character for a specific ruleset (I guess some of you know what posts I'm talking about now ;) If you expected it to do so, I understand why you would get frustrated). Its like complaining about your new car does not have a manual to teach you how to drive a car and follow the trafic rules.... thats what driver licens are for :). The post will have to be short though, as to much info can drag people down, in my experience. Links for external guides and such would be nice I think. A lot of this stuff is already in some posts on Steam when some of you have helped and explained, but scattered all over.

Liktorn
May 14th, 2014, 06:47
I tried to activate my key, but it failed. Invalid key. I have the full version of FG.

Nylanfs
May 14th, 2014, 14:03
Liktorn, do you have it installed on your machine? If so try and copy the key from the settings and use that instead. I had the same thing from copying my key that I had.

ddavison
May 14th, 2014, 14:11
I tried to activate my key, but it failed. Invalid key. I have the full version of FG.

If not, then send a copy of the key you are using to [email protected] and we can check that it was in the list of keys we sent to Valve for activation. If it was purchased after we sent the keys to Valve, then it won't be able to be activated in Steam yet. We are waiting on a response back from our contact on how frequently we can update the list of keys for activation for those purchased outside of Steam.

ddavison
May 14th, 2014, 14:11
I was thinking, after reading some of the posts on Steam, that maybe we need a sticky post called "So you dont have and Pnp experience and wants to use FG?" or something like that. In this post you have to explain that FG will not hold your hand in learning to eg. make a character for a specific ruleset (I guess some of you know what posts I'm talking about now ;) If you expected it to do so, I understand why you would get frustrated). Its like complaining about your new car does not have a manual to teach you how to drive a car and follow the trafic rules.... thats what driver licens are for :). The post will have to be short though, as to much info can drag people down, in my experience. Links for external guides and such would be nice I think. A lot of this stuff is already in some posts on Steam when some of you have helped and explained, but scattered all over.

Good suggestion. I'll look at making a post for this.

Lundgren
May 15th, 2014, 13:56
Great to hear about the expansion into Steam territory. :)

We are waiting on a response back from our contact on how frequently we can update the list of keys for activation for those purchased outside of Steam.
I bought an Ultimate license today, so I guess I will have to wait for a while until I will be able to activate it at Steam. My guess is, that unless it is a fairly automated process, it won't be that frequently.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 14:16
congrats on teh shiny new license - i hope you get to enjoy many hours of fine gaming with it :)

Doswelk
May 15th, 2014, 15:18
Just noticed the fact I can add my Fantasy Grounds Ultimate License to Steam.

Have done so.... I have just "uploaded" the Savage Worlds 3.4 videos to Steam!

Liktorn
May 15th, 2014, 17:26
I wonder about the Ruleset Wizard for FG. You say you need 280 times $50. But on the site I get linked to it's14,000 € that is needed. Is it $ or €?

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 17:29
I wonder about the Ruleset Wizard for FG. You say you need 280 times $50. But on the site I get linked to it's14,000 € that is needed. Is it $ or €?
It's Euros. The "damned" Australian doesn't know the difference! ;)

Liktorn
May 15th, 2014, 17:32
It's Euros. The "damned" Australian doesn't know the difference! ;)

To bad! I thougt that it was 50 USD at first. That is WAY cheaper then 50 Euro... :(

Liktorn
May 15th, 2014, 17:51
I have a dilemma. I would rather have the DLC for FG all on Steam. And they have a 25% sale on all the DLC right now. The problem is that I do net yet have Fantasy Ground on steam. I bought it here two days ago, so I do not know how long time it will take for my key to be activated on steam. I guess I will have to buy the DLC's as a gift on steam and then give them to myself when I "own" the game according to Steam. But I would so love to play around with FG NOW!!!!!!! Sigh! :P

JohnD
May 15th, 2014, 18:02
Why do you need to wait for it to be activated on Steam? I believe you install the Demo from Steam and that is supposed to identify an existing install/key.

ddavison
May 15th, 2014, 18:06
Owning the Demo/Free license on Steam *does* allow you to launch your Lite, Full or Ultimate version of FG; however, Steam still thinks you don't own the base product and won't let you purchase additional DLC, write reviews or post artwork and videos. I gave Valve a list of all the active license keys sold to date and they loaded them into Steam so that you can activate the full version using either your Full or your Ultimate license. The problem is that I pulled that list and sent it to Valve before Liktorn made his purchase on our site and now I'm waiting to hear back if I can update the activation list with new license keys sold since I last pulled those.

JohnD
May 15th, 2014, 18:09
Hmm... well then I guess that gifting to yourself approach should work long term, if less than satisfying in the here/now.

dberkompas
May 15th, 2014, 18:31
So, I had the question, how do I activate my Steam demo?

Google had the answer:

Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
Click the Games Menu.
Choose Activate a Product on Steam...

Enter your FG key (found in Settings).

Worked for me using my Ultimate license.

BoomerET

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 19:36
So, I had the question, how do I activate my Steam demo?

Google had the answer:T
So does the pinned thread on the Steam website: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Nylanfs
May 15th, 2014, 20:27
The problem is that Liktorn just got too excited about the Ultimate (not that that is a bad thing) and purchased it AFTER Doug sent the key list to Valve. So Valve doesn't have his key in the system.

ddavison
May 15th, 2014, 20:35
I have a dilemma. I would rather have the DLC for FG all on Steam. And they have a 25% sale on all the DLC right now. The problem is that I do net yet have Fantasy Ground on steam. I bought it here two days ago, so I do not know how long time it will take for my key to be activated on steam. I guess I will have to buy the DLC's as a gift on steam and then give them to myself when I "own" the game according to Steam. But I would so love to play around with FG NOW!!!!!!! Sigh! :P

Liktorn, I price-matched the items on the FG Store now so you won't have to miss out on any sales.

-Doug

damned
May 15th, 2014, 23:03
so... it looks like a lot of people are getting their Steam keys... i have fantasy grounds demo showing up in my games list and it launches my ultimate copy - is that how it works?

Moon Wizard
May 15th, 2014, 23:11
See this post from Doug.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17373-Fantasy-Grounds-on-Steam-Greenlight&p=174168&viewfull=1#post174168

JPG

gandhi39
May 16th, 2014, 01:59
How much will the ultimate license cost on steam?

If I buy a full license on steam, will an upgrade to ultimate bought from fantasygrounds.com work with it?

Nylanfs
May 16th, 2014, 02:06
I'm assuming that it will probably be the same price, minus any initial discount like the full license are currently.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2014, 02:26
We're still figuring out how to offer an Ultimate and/or upgrade on Steam, given the way their system works with DLC, Workshop, etc. we may be able to only offer one or the other. It's probably going to be a while until we figure out the best way to set it up.

The Ultimate upgrade from the FG store will work with a license originally purchased through Steam.

Regards,
JPG

Liktorn
May 16th, 2014, 07:40
Liktorn, I price-matched the items on the FG Store now so you won't have to miss out on any sales.

-Doug

No, you did NOT price-match the items. I live in Sweden, so I have the Euro pricing on Steam (usually so unfair). So instead of paying 48.71€ on steam, I just bought the exact same items from you for $48.75. That made me save nearly 27% :D
So, in short words: I love you Doug :P
Now I own Savage Words Delux ruleset, Savage Worlds Adventure deck, Deadlands Reloaded: Marshall's Handbook and Extension and Deadlands Reloaded: Player's Handbook :)

By the way. Regarding some earlier post from Nylanfs. I did not buy the Ultimate license. Just the Full one!

Lundgren
May 16th, 2014, 07:44
By the way. Regarding some earlier post from Nylanfs. I did not buy the Ultimate license. Just the Full one!

I guess he just mixed up the Swedes. :)

Liktorn
May 16th, 2014, 07:52
I guess he just mixed up the Swedes. :)
Jaa! Another Swede :-D