PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Fighting Fantasy ruleset released free

Arion
September 18th, 2012, 21:30
EDITED JPG (20170-04-12)
New Link: https://www.arion-games.com/AFF2E1-1.pak

We have now released a free AFF ruleset for the Fantasy Grounds VTT created by the fantastic Neil Foster. The webpage is here:

(Old Link Removed)

There are some screenshots there, and a link to the download.

https://www.arion-games.com/SS3.jpg

phantomwhale
September 19th, 2012, 02:50
Nice work on providing a FREE ruleset for running the game and congratulations to Neil for creating yet another great ruleset (in quite a short time period too, if memory serves !)

neilgfoster
September 19th, 2012, 09:20
It was a pleasure - I was a huge fan of the original Advanced Fighting Fantasy, so its nice to help contribute to the new version by Arion.

If you wish to raise any bugs or request a new feature for this ruleset then please follow this link:

https://www.theforbiddentome.com/fantasy-grounds-ii/advanced-fighting-fantasy-v2.html

neilgfoster
September 24th, 2012, 15:29
I have released a small update which fixes a few bugs that have been found. Simply re-download and replace the ruleset file on your machine.

Tiqon
September 24th, 2012, 18:34
Your link is "broken". it looks like this in adresseline in a browser %3Cbr%20/%3Ehttps://www.arion-games.com/AFF-FG.html

Its no big deal to edit it, but you might edit it :).

Arion
September 25th, 2012, 09:41
Your link is "broken". it looks like this in adresseline in a browser %3Cbr%20/%3Ehttps://www.arion-games.com/AFF-FG.html

Its no big deal to edit it, but you might edit it :).

Very strange! It worked fine for me, but i have changed the format slightly just to make sure.

Griogre
September 25th, 2012, 19:30
The link works now. I download the ruleset and module yesterday and it looks nice. :)

tsmpaul
December 6th, 2012, 09:36
This sounds great! I'll download it now. Thanks for making this available!

MountainPeak11
December 26th, 2012, 01:10
So I've been playing around with this and it looks amazing. I just bought Fantasy Grounds II today... although there are a couple of problems I'm experiencing (it might be because I'm a n00b and I'm doing something wrong), but if I'm creating a character sheet, there are certain entries such as weapons, talents etc. that can't be clicked on or modified. Your portrait also won't go on display when you select it.

Is there something I've been missing here?

tsmpaul
December 26th, 2012, 01:26
So I've been playing around with this and it looks amazing. I just bought Fantasy Grounds II today... although there are a couple of problems I'm experiencing (it might be because I'm a n00b and I'm doing something wrong), but if I'm creating a character sheet, there are certain entries such as weapons, talents etc. that can't be clicked on or modified. Your portrait also won't go on display when you select it.

Is there something I've been missing here?

Hi! For weapons and armour, go to the Items pages and create a new item for the weapon or armour, then drag them onto the character sheet to add them to the sheet. Clicking on the grey boxes lets you edit items, and holding down and dragging lets you drag them about. To add things like talents and skills, right click and select 'new item' to add a blank entry, then click the grey box to edit it.

Arion
December 26th, 2012, 09:36
Hi! For weapons and armour, go to the Items pages and create a new item for the weapon or armour, then drag them onto the character sheet to add them to the sheet. Clicking on the grey boxes lets you edit items, and holding down and dragging lets you drag them about. To add things like talents and skills, right click and select 'new item' to add a blank entry, then click the grey box to edit it.

The weapon and armour data is also pre-loaded into the library. Open up the library, drag the required item onto the character sheet and it will add in the numbers automatically.

MountainPeak11
December 26th, 2012, 11:20
Ah, cool! I've pretty much worked all of that out now (and I realised you double click on the portraits to add them in). Thanks. The only thing really is the library. You say various things have been pre-loaded in there, but my library is currently empty. Does there have to be a specific .dll file sitting in a certain folder or something?

Griogre
December 26th, 2012, 19:54
You have to activate library modules before they are loaded. To do so with this ruleset start FG, then in the top right of the FG desktop click on the button with the "Modules" tooltip. This will bring up the Module Activation popup. Double click on the graphic to the left of the AFF2E text and the book icon to the right of the text will "open" to show the library is activated. Close the Module Activation popup and then click on the button that has the tooltip "Library" (its right next to the Modules button). You should see the list of items.

MountainPeak11
December 27th, 2012, 12:22
So the module activation should be set to this, right?

https://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5069/moduleexample.png

Whenever I open the library I still don't get anything, either on the DM side or the Player's side.

EDIT: I've just tried activating mods in the 3.5E ruleset and that works fine. I think this might be a bug, and as you can see, not everything is lined up properly in the modules window as it should be.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 13:32
You need to download the library module "AFF2E - Library.mod" from the website linked in the first post.

Click on "The Ruleset" -> v1.0 -> Modules to find the module file. Download and place in <FG App Data Directory>\modules. The link to <FG App Data Directory> in on your computer under Start > All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

MountainPeak11
December 27th, 2012, 14:13
WOW, I feel like such a n00b. I thought it was all grouped together in the pack! Ok so I did that, made sure all the extensions were .mod, but still no luck. I think it's all down to the fact I had to dowload FG twice. The first time was when I just bought it and it didn't work because I'm a 64-bit culprit. So an admin gave me a link to a webfile where I installed it from there. I'm tempted to just uninstall it and try again.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 14:27
WOW, I feel like such a n00b. I thought it was all grouped together in the pack! Ok so I did that, made sure all the extensions were .mod, but still no luck. I think it's all down to the fact I had to dowload FG twice. The first time was when I just bought it and it didn't work because I'm a 64-bit culprit. So an admin gave me a link to a webfile where I installed it from there. I'm tempted to just uninstall it and try again.
I've just downloaded and tested and the data from the module shows up in the library for me. Might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling just to be sure.

MountainPeak11
December 27th, 2012, 14:45
Ah I think I'm onto something. Where exactly am I meant to save the new ruleset? When I opened up FG it said it was missing the base.xml file.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 14:48
Ah I think I'm onto something. Where exactly am I meant to save the new ruleset? When I opened up FG it said it was missing the base.xml file.
Put the AFF2E.PAK file in <FG App Data Directory>\rulesets

MountainPeak11
December 27th, 2012, 14:55
Ah see this is the thing: the folder isn't actually there. But it's all cool - I've sorted out what it is. It might be because it's a brand new version, or it's a bit different for 64-bit users, but you have the "Roaming" folder through Start>All Programs>Fantasy Grounds II for all the modules, portraits and so on, but when actually adding rulesets you need to go to it through your C:/ Drive and copy and paste it in there with all the other .pak's.

But thanks for the help anyway. You're all awesome. :)

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 15:03
Ah see this is the thing: the folder isn't actually there. But it's all cool - I've sorted out what it is. It might be because it's a brand new version, or it's a bit different for 64-bit users, but you have the "Roaming" folder through Start>All Programs>Fantasy Grounds II for all the modules, portraits and so on, but when actually adding rulesets you need to go to it through your C:/ Drive and copy and paste it in there with all the other .pak's.

But thanks for the help anyway. You're all awesome. :)
The rulesets folder was not in your <FG App Data Directory> because it is a new installation and it hasn't been created. You're better off creating this rulesets folder there and copying the AFF2E.PAK into that folder and remove it from the Program Files folder. It'll work either way, but it is just better to keep custom rulesets outside of the main application directory - just in case a future update/upgrade removes them. If you download other custom rulesets, some might bit be .PAK but a complete file structure within a folder - these will have to be put in the <FG App Data Directory>\rulesets directory anyway, so it's good to put all downloaded rulesets there.

neilgfoster
January 6th, 2014, 13:35
I have now released an updated version of the ruleset which make it compatible with Fantasy Grounds v3.0. You can download the new ruleset from here:

https://www.theforbiddentome.com/fantasy-grounds-ii/advanced-fighting-fantasy-v2.html

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2014, 21:17
Updated in the Library link as well.
JPG

hawkwind
April 9th, 2017, 22:21
Just got the bundle of holding for this game so i was keen to see the fantasy grounds ruleset but the download is broken

Trenloe
April 9th, 2017, 23:18
Seems that the owner, Arion games, has taken that link down. There's an old thread (with a dead link too) in their forums, that might be worth asking on (or starting a new one there): https://www.arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=448&p=3794&hilit=fantasy+grounds#p3794

Or a quick Internet search found this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aff2e/ Not CoreRPG based, but seems functional.

hawkwind
April 10th, 2017, 09:27
Your Google fu is greater than mine, I have contacted the owner of arion games and he says he is going to restore the link

hawkwind
April 11th, 2017, 11:30
No library Module on Github

Arion
April 11th, 2017, 14:08
Unfortunately that file didn't seem to transfer when i changed web hosts on my own site. However, the PAK and MOD files are available here still:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/AFF2E.xcp

Andraax
April 11th, 2017, 14:30
Unfortunately that file didn't seem to transfer when i changed web hosts on my own site. However, the PAK and MOD files are available here still:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/AFF2E.xcp

That one is out of date; the SourceForge link has version 1.1.

hawkwind
April 11th, 2017, 15:15
Thanks everyone and I see there is still a week to go on the bundle of holding which gets you everything published for this great little game

Arion
April 12th, 2017, 09:17
It took a while to find the file, but here it is:

https://www.arion-games.com/AFF2E1-1.pak

Mortar
April 12th, 2017, 12:24
Wicked, I jumped all over the bundle as well :D

Andraax
April 12th, 2017, 13:50
It took a while to find the file, but here it is:

https://www.arion-games.com/AFF2E1-1.pak

You did notice that someone had linked it in this thread a few days ago, right?

;)

hawkwind
April 12th, 2017, 14:17
the link was dead then

Andraax
April 12th, 2017, 14:20
the link was dead then

No, this link:

Or a quick Internet search found this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aff2e/ Not CoreRPG based, but seems functional.

Moon Wizard
April 12th, 2017, 17:24
Updated the link in the first post.

JPG

Arion
April 13th, 2017, 22:57
You did notice that someone had linked it in this thread a few days ago, right?

;)

Nope!

I am lambing at the moment whilst also trying to finish off my next book and am probably not as perceptive as i normally would be... At least it available though.

Given the success of the BoH and the fact that i can now sell pdf versions of the game, i have been pondering getting a new (commercial) ruleset done with modules for monsters, spells, adventures, etc. I should probably email Smiteworks about it!

Mortar
April 14th, 2017, 00:25
I know I'd buy a commercial AFF ruleset!

Jay_NOLA
April 15th, 2017, 22:21
I took advantage of the Bundle of Holding.

Hope you update the rule set at least in the future to be abit more compatible with the newer version of FG.

Also, the library module file can be found on the souceforge link if anyone needs it along with the ruleset. If you go into the v1.1 folder in the module folder.

hawkwind
April 18th, 2017, 13:19
good call on the sourceforge link. I did make a stab at doing a MoreCore character sheet and it did handle the dice rolls for combat better the official rule set does but once I was pointed in the direction of Library module I stopped working on it. I'm tempted to do something to improve the library module with a bit more content

Jay_NOLA
April 18th, 2017, 19:21
One thing I noticed over the weekend make sure the ruleset .pak is called AFF2E.pak and not AFF2E1-1.pak.rename it if you download the1.1 version with the "1-1" in the name. The sourceforge 1.1 version doesn't have the "1-1" in the name" The module library file will not work if the .pak is called AFF2E1-1.pak

The library is incomplete but it does prevent a lot of typing as the armor and weapons are all done in it. The skills are all listed but the descriptions aren't done.

One bug I noticed is that it doesn't show all the portraits available to select from for some reason unlike other older rulesets

I did a entry of the quick start adventure and character over the weekend.

Jay_NOLA
April 26th, 2017, 19:03
Noticed another problem, You can't export a module It gives an error when you try to export one currently. I think this is an issue caused by changes in the newest FG build.

Trenloe
April 26th, 2017, 19:24
Noticed another problem, You can't export a module It gives an error when you try to export one currently. I think this is an issue caused by changes in the newest FG build.
The file classes\utilities\export.lua in this ruleset is using quite old code for the export process that is no longer compatible. utilities\scripts\export.lua in CoreRPG has the correct syntax on line 162 (v3.3.0 live).

Documentation here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Module.xcp#export But this hasn't been updated to include a new 8th parameter - "Player module?" setting. Put this as false.

Furio74
July 2nd, 2020, 13:40
Is the new Fantasy Grounds Unity work with Advanced Fighting Fantasy?

Arion
July 2nd, 2020, 13:50
Is the new Fantasy Grounds Unity work with Advanced Fighting Fantasy?

I don't think the old AFF ruleset works with FGU, but we are hard at work on a shiny new one that does! If you are interested in testing it, send me a Message.

It still needs work on the automation, but you can certainly run a game with it as it is.

Furio74
July 2nd, 2020, 14:49
I don't think the old AFF ruleset works with FGU, but we are hard at work on a shiny new one that does! If you are interested in testing it, send me a Message.

It still needs work on the automation, but you can certainly run a game with it as it is.

Just to clarify, is there a working version that is available for testing right now?

Arion
July 2nd, 2020, 15:23
Just to clarify, is there a working version that is available for testing right now?

There is. It will eventually be a commercial and official release, but I have a zip file sat on my desktop that can run a game very well.

Furio74
July 2nd, 2020, 17:50
There is. It will eventually be a commercial and official release, but I have a zip file sat on my desktop that can run a game very well.

Would you be able to attach it here? I would most definitely like to try this out!

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2020, 18:05
Would you be able to attach it here? I would most definitely like to try this out!

See post #45 above:

If you are interested in testing it, send me a Message.

Arion
July 4th, 2020, 08:01
I have posted a short YouTube video looking at the Ruleset to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bozihckRM