PDA

View Full Version : Just spent the night checking out the demo

Forsakensoul
September 18th, 2012, 07:18
First I would like to thank those who responded to my initial questions,

After watching several of the videos two of my friends and myself have decided to download the demo, and further examine the software and its capabilities. After a night of playing with the software I have a couple questions that I was unable to figure out. We will be playing the pathfinder rule set if that matters.

Is there a control for the DM to approve all moves and rolls before they appear in the chat box? As we were testing tonight we were unable to find anyway to stop a PC from picking up a NPC and moving them around.
When your character levels up, will you manually need to modify the damage in the spell description, or will the software do this? For example many spells damage and duration increase with levels. Will the software modify the spell when you level, or will the spell need to be manually edited?
Is it possible to have the health of a PC or NPC be reduced once the DM approves the roll, assuming their is an option to allow the DM to approve rolls.
And Finally, is there a way to block the players from being able to look at all the maps? Once again we couldn't find a way to prevent a PC from viewing all the maps in the test demo.

Overall none of this stuff is game breaking, since we are all adults and will not be trying to cheat. However it would be nice to have some of these features just to stop accidental rolls, and movements.

Trenloe
September 18th, 2012, 07:44
Is there a control for the DM to approve all moves and rolls before they appear in the chat box? As we were testing tonight we were unable to find anyway to stop a PC from picking up a NPC and moving them around.
The GM can "lock tokens" by right clicking on a token on the map and selecting that option - this will result in the players not being able to move their tokens, but a white line being drawn for their move - the GM approves the movement by right-clicking on the PC token and selecting "Accept Move".

Even without token locking, if the NPC tokens are put on the map by dragging from the combat tracker the players won't be able to move them. It is only tokens that are not linked to NPC entries in the combat tracker that can be freely moved around.

Note: PC and NPC tokens should only be dragged onto the map from the combat tracker - put NPCs and PCs in the combat tracker first. This will result in the token being linked to the specific entry in the combat tracker and allow targeting etc. to work correctly.

When your character levels up, will you manually need to modify the damage in the spell description, or will the software do this? For example many spells damage and duration increase with levels. Will the software modify the spell when you level, or will the spell need to be manually edited?
FG usually handles this - the damage entry in the spell is usually linked to caster level in some way (so you will need to ensure the caster level is correct for the spell caster), click the down arrow after the damage entry to see the damage options and how it is calculated.

Is it possible to have the health of a PC or NPC be reduced once the DM approves the roll, assuming their is an option to allow the DM to approve rolls.
No, there is not a way to approve player rolls like this.

And Finally, is there a way to block the players from being able to look at all the maps? Once again we couldn't find a way to prevent a PC from viewing all the maps in the test demo.
Players will only see maps that are shared to them - they will not see maps that are not shared. If a GM wishes to remove the "share" flag later they can click the "S" icon next to the map name in the image/map list and the player will not be able to see the map/image anymore.

Griogre
September 18th, 2012, 08:10
Mask the maps/images you don't want the players to see before preloading them.

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2012, 00:13
I played previously with a tabletop that had roll approval at all stages (i.e. before displaying in window, determining results). The problem was that it slowed down the game dramatically, since the GM had to approve every roll.

Instead, you can choose whether players can view the "results" of their rolls in the chat window (i.e. damage applied, hit/miss determination, etc.). Check out the Options window accessible via a button in the upper right corner.

Regards,
JPG