PDA

View Full Version : Character backstory...or not

Willot
September 17th, 2012, 07:29
I started doing a backstory for one of my characters then It went alll NUTZ!

Dont know what to do with it> It isnt really a Backstory anymore Its more of a story...

We'll for a lack of anything else to do. Here it is. Unfinished...

A Journey Begins

Suddenly the door burst inward! Su-Xan began to scream as Perry leapt naked from the tangle of sheets and flesh he had just been enjoying. Gathering whatever was to hand to cover himself Perry surveyed the scene. Two tall, muscle bound and ebony skinned guards had entered the room flanking the remains of the door, their leather armour creaked as they shifted their weight. Between them stood fat Ashben the moneylender, staring with mounting fury at his lovely and quite unclothed wife in another man's bed.

Ashben looked to one of his guards and nodded. The guard walked over to Su-Xan and taking a handful of her blond hair pulled back her head so that her eyes met those of Ashben who had quietly walked towards her side of the bed. Su-Xan was crying now and taking gulps of air between her sobs.

Ashben reached down to tenderly stroke the face of his wife, “Despite your betrayal I will be merciful against my better judgment, my wife”
At this Su-Xan grabbed at Ashben's hand and began to cover it in kisses, “Oh thank you my husband! I will be only true to you I swear, never again I swear it!”
Lifting her chin, Ashben looked into Su-Xan's smiling face “I know my love”. Ashben's hand flashed out and blood flew from Su-Xan's throat! “I grant you a swift and painless death my wife because I love you”. Ashben looked up from the limply moving body of his wife on the red stained sheets into the eyes of Perry, “You however sir I do not love”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerst entered the study of his master Ashben the moneylender. The fact that Ashben no longer loaned money didn't matter. It was how he made his vast fortune in his early days and the identity had stuck. People liked the familiar and preferred the evil they knew. The fact that people still thought of Ashben as a simple moneylender was laughable.

Pausing first to survey the room for inquisitive servants Gerst approached the eastern wall and found there a particular spot. He pushed in a brick and section of the wall slid inwards revealing a dark stone staircase that wound down lit only by the firelight of torches that lined the wall. Gerst lifted his robe as he carefully walked down the stairs. His master was still busy with the young man that he and his guards had brought to the manor earlier. It was Gerst who had his master's third wife followed after observing her leaving the manor one night without her guards. It was revealed that the lovely but quite naive Su-Xan had been having a dalliance with a young man that Gerst suspected worked for one of Ashben's commercial competitors and Su-Xan had probably been unknowingly feeding information about his master's operations.

“Well, no more”, said Gerst to himself as his negotiated his way down.

Reaching the bottom of the stairway Gerst observed the dank, cold dungeons that he found himself in. There were four doors leading off from the central room that he now stood in. Behind the closed door to his right was where his master was working. Gerst found a stool in a corner but after inspecting it with a frown he decided to stand while he waited for his master to finish.

Gerst examined his robe while the minutes went by picking a stray piece of lint away or dusting either real or imagined dirt from the lapel. The robe was one of his favorites, its green contrasting his eyes, the way it's cut exaggerated his already tall thin build. Pushing back his shoulder length silver/grey hair he impatiently paced to the other side the the room. The screaming had gone on for quite awhile but all was silent now and Gerst new that the foolish young man's life was either at an end or close to it.

The door to the torture cell opened and Ashben came out drying his hands as best he could on a blood soaked towel. Looking up from his hands he noticed Gerst waiting patiently. Throwing the towel in the corner of the room he poured himself a drink from a jug that was sitting on a small table,”Well he was either gods blessed with more willpower than I gave him credit for or he really was just a fool”
“He said nothing my master”, asked Gerst
“Not a thing. I truly think he was just some womanizer who choose the wrong woman. Tis really a pity I was truly fond of Su-Xan. Well there are a few loose ends that I will follow and see if they are in need of tiring up. What of the old man Gerst?”
“Yes master. I have looked into his evidence and while I think he exaggerates the importance of his proof it is not without merit.”
“Something in it eh?”
“I believe so. I do not think it would be worth launching a full expedition as the old man wants but certainly it may be worth outfitting a small party to investigate the site.”
Ashben thought for a moment, “Very well. Talk to the old man and see that he given only what he needs for a small expedition.”
“As you wish master”
“But I want you to go with them Gerst”
Gerst swallowed he did not like the idea of a journey of more than four months into the wastes of the Ki-Han desert. He had many schemes and plots that were just coming to fruition and to leave now would place their outcomes in jeopardy.
“As you wish my master but may I know why? I have many tasks that will need re-working if I am to be absent for an extended period of time”
Ashben took a step towards Gerst, “Because I command it and because I wish to insure the best possible chance of an successful outcome”
Gerst bowed low, “I will see to the arrangements immediately”
“Very good. Also send a messenger to Palsha inform her I will visiting tonight. It seems I've some free time and wish to relax after my work here.”
Gerst smiled,”Your will”

See It got away from me...!:D
Willot

damned
September 17th, 2012, 08:26
See It got away from me...!:D

unlike the young man....

Willot
September 17th, 2012, 08:40
unlike the young man....oh
oh indeed :)

Ardem
September 17th, 2012, 10:51
very nice sir, very nice

Xross
September 17th, 2012, 15:07
Very nice indeed!

Though I think it was Gygax who said "Backgrounds? thats what levels 1 to 5 are for!" :D

Gadreun
December 1st, 2012, 13:07
I thought that's a great background - i don't think its overdone at all ...but then i write lengthy ones sometimes too :P

gmkieran
December 4th, 2012, 20:26
Cool story. Could as easily be the setup for a campaign as for a single character. I'm a background fiend, myself; rarely shorter than 3 pages and I do my best to fill them full of potential hooks for a GM to mess with. This may be a product of playing with a GM who is also a published author and encouraged that kind of development. Keep writing - see where he takes you next!