PDA

View Full Version : Character Manager Problems

Knivel
September 16th, 2012, 19:26
When using the character manager to build characters (for 3.5 ruleset), I ran into two problems:

1) I wanted to duplicate a character, so I can have two versions. Because - as far as I know - there is no function to copy a character, I tried it via Export. I wanted to re-import the exported character under a different name. But I didn't find out how to import a character at all. How does it work?

2) I wanted to copy inventory items from one character to the other. It kind of worked, but all items appeared as 'unidentified items'. How can I change the status to 'identified'?

I have the full version of FG, I started the character manager for 3.5e, not for a specific campaign, where I am not the game master.

Thanks for your help!

Trenloe
September 17th, 2012, 07:29
When using the character manager to build characters (for 3.5 ruleset), I ran into two problems:

1) I wanted to duplicate a character, so I can have two versions. Because - as far as I know - there is no function to copy a character, I tried it via Export. I wanted to re-import the exported character under a different name. But I didn't find out how to import a character at all. How does it work?
There is no "import" functionality within Fantasy Grounds for manage characters - the primary function is to allow players to create characters and then export for a GM to load into their campaign (or select the local character when you join the GMs game).

However, you can use the FG Character Converter - select "Fantasy Grounds (xml)" as your input and "Local Import" as your output. This will "import" the character in the XML file into the local character cache (used in Manage Characters).

Knivel
September 17th, 2012, 12:27
Thanks! That helps.
Meanwhile, I found out that I could also start a new campaign (instead of the character management module) and then import and export my character as I like.