PDA

View Full Version : Space based RPG?

kleamovich
September 15th, 2012, 01:49
Does anyone know of a space based rpg?

I was thinking of trying to create a complete homebrew space based rpg was just wondering if there are any type of games like this out there.

ThePirateKing
September 15th, 2012, 02:24
i believe GURPS encompases rules for space/futuristic games

kleamovich
September 15th, 2012, 02:27
Ahh ok. Thanks

Gwaihir Scout
September 15th, 2012, 03:03
Traveller. My dad insists that Firefly is based off it.

Valarian
September 15th, 2012, 04:16
Also, Bulldogs!, Starblazer Adventures, d6 Space, Serenity (based off Firefly).
Out of print now, but you might still be able to find a Babylon 5 d20 corebook (second edition) around.
For Cyberpunk style games: Corporation.
For Steampunk style games: Victoriana or Airship Pirates.
Not out until next year, but Numenera will also incorporate sci-fi elements. The kickstarter has 3 days yet and the $50 pledge gets you a lot of PDFs.

JohnD
September 15th, 2012, 06:16
Spacemaster

joeru
September 15th, 2012, 07:39
Then there's this obscure game called Star Wars. The d6 version by WEG had a nice and relatively light spaceship combat system.

damned
September 15th, 2012, 11:59
i dont think there are many themes, genres or settings that dont have a rpg written or adapted for them!

kleamovich
September 15th, 2012, 13:37
That is what I'm beginning to think. I was just surfing the web and couldn't find any of these games I guess I just needed to figure out what to use in the search bar. Well now at least me and my friends can see which one we like and if we can't find anything our complete homebrew game is already in the process of writing it up.

Griogre
September 15th, 2012, 19:27
What, no mentioned of Star Frontiers? :) https://www.starfrontiers.com/ The others that I would actually play have already been mentioned.

dr_venture
September 15th, 2012, 19:47
And Space Opera (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Opera_%28role-playing_game%29)... remember that one? I think I actually have a copy of that around here somewhere...

Emrak
September 15th, 2012, 21:05
Stars Without Number is great.

Star Wars Saga Edition is great.

The new Star Wars: Edge of the Empire beta is pretty beast as well.

There's really a plethora of great sci-fi RPGs! :)

kleamovich
September 15th, 2012, 23:12
Some of these seem really interesting.

Leonal
September 16th, 2012, 00:06
others:

Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader
Eclipse Phase, but doesn't have any FG ruleset AFAIK (never tried to play this, but it seemed viable if you can deal with all the crunch).

p0l
September 17th, 2012, 19:29
If you want less of a SPACE OPERA, try Eclipse Phase

Dystopian Transhumanist postapocaliptic space rpg. It's great

DancerTheBrave
September 17th, 2012, 22:11
R.i.f.t.s!!!!!
I would love to play rifts if i could find someone to dm it.

Mgrancey
September 20th, 2012, 01:11
Also Mechwarrior, RPG of Battletech. Savage Worlds can do that as well, they have a bunch, enjoyed Slipstream (Rocketships and Rayguns! with extra Pulp!)

Depends on what kinda Space RPG you looking for.

grapper
September 20th, 2012, 15:46
I've been putting together a savage worlds homebrew campaign space adventure primarily based on the sci-fi toolkit booklets. It isn't a ready-made campaign setting, but I like the ability to dial in something less pulpy.

Mgrancey
September 20th, 2012, 16:15
Yeah, same here. The funny part is that I prefer sci-fi to traditional fantasy (though I like High Fantasy and Alternative Fantasy), but that's what I play and run more than anything else.

Draeus
September 24th, 2012, 23:45
BRP can be used for sci-fi games.

But dont forget one of my old favs from the past Star Ace.. which I think there is a D20 Future version of it called blood and space. Correct me if Im wrong :)

Star Trek or Prime Directive I think it is now called is another.

D20 DragonSpace but think this is out of print now. Also I migt have the title wrong .. not at home at mo out on holiday :)

heyhogan
September 26th, 2012, 03:18
I have actually been working on this problem myself recently. I decided to go with Savage Worlds and purchased another a rule extension from Storyweaver called "High Space". The rules are Beta, so they leave a little bit to be desired. However, they gave me enough to work with and I got inspired to make some home brew. My setting is actually an extension of the Star Gate Universe, taking over where season 2 left off. I have 3 adventures started to get folks warmed up (and sort of learn the rules a bit myself as I am new to Savage Worlds). I like using cards for initative, and I like the fact that there are a whole lot less stats and things to track. Making ships is sort of the same as making characters. I am going to be looking for volunteers to play test this a bit, so let me know if you are interested. I am a bit crazy about making a lot of COOL looking maps and stuff, so it should be fun.

Insanity
September 26th, 2012, 03:21
Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century, www.ssdc.com
CthulhuTech, www.cthulhutech.com

DancerTheBrave
September 26th, 2012, 05:06
Sounds interesting,something new count me in and i will keep my self updated on your posts!

ddavison
September 27th, 2012, 05:21
Check out Slipstream for Savage Worlds. It's kind of like Flash Gordon from what I remember, but I haven't actually ran a game of it yet.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=PEG10008FG2

I believe I saw a Buck Rogers rules conversion floating around at one point too (not for FG, but general RPG-wise.)
Ahhh, here it is:
https://www.waynesbooks.com/BuckRogers.html

There are a couple similar Computer RPG Buck Rogers games available on Dosbox in the old SSI style. Those are based on AD&D but they had lots of neat modifications to skills, professions and equipment that did a good job of delivering a sci-fi theme.

Mgrancey
September 27th, 2012, 05:28
Yep, played Slipstream. Very much Flash Gordon, Barbarella, etc kinda game. You use Rocketships, specifically rocketships life in Robert Heinlein sci-fi rocketships.

Valarian
September 27th, 2012, 11:24
I have actually been working on this problem myself recently. I decided to go with Savage Worlds and purchased another a rule extension from Storyweaver called "High Space". The rules are Beta, so they leave a little bit to be desired. However, they gave me enough to work with and I got inspired to make some home brew. My setting is actually an extension of the Star Gate Universe, taking over where season 2 left off. I have 3 adventures started to get folks warmed up (and sort of learn the rules a bit myself as I am new to Savage Worlds).
If you need inspiration, there's a Stargate SG-1 game from AEG. It's d20, but the background information in the book is good. Out of print now, but it's still available in PDF form on DriveThruRPG.

mgholson
September 27th, 2012, 13:07
This sounds very interesting, if it happens when I'm available count me in. It took me 2 seasons to really start liking Stargate Universe then they canceled it.

All this talk of Space based RPGs got me curious about Traveller. I've been interested in RPGs on and off for 20 years and I always heard about Traveller but I've never played and until recently never seen the books.

Saw there was a Classic Traveller ruleset so I've been reading the books. Can you believe in the future we will finially be able to throw away our cassette tapes and replace them with holo crystals that can record up to 2 hours of video and fit in the palm of your hand, amazing!

Anyone interested in traveller.

DarkStar
September 27th, 2012, 14:10
Fading Suns (bought the rulebook a couple weeks ago) - there's a Savage Worlds conversion available, too if you fancy SW rules.

cdjensen99
September 30th, 2012, 14:38
There is space opera.

cdjensen99
September 30th, 2012, 14:55
This sounds very interesting, if it happens when I'm available count me in. It took me 2 seasons to really start liking Stargate Universe then they canceled it.

All this talk of Space based RPGs got me curious about Traveller. I've been interested in RPGs on and off for 20 years and I always heard about Traveller but I've never played and until recently never seen the books.

Saw there was a Classic Traveller ruleset so I've been reading the books. Can you believe in the future we will finially be able to throw away our cassette tapes and replace them with holo crystals that can record up to 2 hours of video and fit in the palm of your hand, amazing!

Anyone interested in traveller.

Mongoose traveller is a good place to start. I have all of the rules for it. The character creation is a bit clunky and one bad role of the dice during character generation and you messed it up for good and may as well start over with a different character.

If the GM isn't on top of things it is easy for a player to manipulate the system and start the game extremely powerful. So you should have a clear set of restrictions in mind before strating the game (such as limited to 4 terms of service, No PC's with psionics, etc...).

I have tried several times to get a traveller game together and after the long drawn out character creation and backstory the game never launched as the players lost interest. That was mainly due to the Play by post system on Myth-weavers (It took weeks to get everyone to post and then they lost interest before launch). In a table top (real or vertual) setting the character creation is much faster and the game would go better.

I wonder how hard it would be to do a ruleset for FG that used the traveller system?

Trenloe
September 30th, 2012, 20:25
I wonder how hard it would be to do a ruleset for FG that used the traveller system?
See this thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15006 It looks like there may be a Mongoose Traveller ruleset being developed - although the thread doesn't mention the status of this.

Also, a classic traveller community ruleset is available from the fgwiki: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Rulesets

cdjensen99
September 30th, 2012, 20:51
Thanks but I cant dload the classic ruleset and the other one has gone dead (or it looks like it).

Trenloe
September 30th, 2012, 20:58
Thanks but I cant dload the classic ruleset
I can download it (tried just now) - what problems are you having?

and the other one has gone dead (or it looks like it).
Have you read the last page of the thread (page 4)?

cdjensen99
October 1st, 2012, 01:46
Ok now the link works. I was getting file not found error before.

Yes I read page 4 and I see that IamGrays has started to try and revive the project. I hope he can do it and I will help with what I can. I don't know programming but I do know the rules for Mongoose Traveller.