PDA

View Full Version : synching FG via DropBox + PbP ?

Blue Alchemist
September 14th, 2012, 07:04
hey! I'm fresh, just downloaded the free version to check out my interest in this program. it looks cool enough, for sure.

I installed the program on my PC and chose the Data Folder to be inside my DrobBox folder, which is synching between my PC and my laptop.
if I installs FG on my laptop and choose the Data Folder to be the same synched folder, will I be able to use both my PC and my laptop to play (obviously not at the same time)? or will there be some problem with registration and stuff?

I don't need to play on both machines simultaneously, but I would love to have the option to sign in and play on either of them.

and another question: I understand FG supports live sessions mostly. does it support Play by Post as well?

thnks!

Valarian
September 14th, 2012, 08:47
The dropbox thing would probably work to keep the folders in sync. Not sure what effect that would have on performance. Using a SD card or USB drive would probably be better.

FG is geared toward running a game session online, rather than play-by-post. You could use it for that, but it would have to be running constantly and the longer your PC is online then the more risk of being hacked - especially if frequently online and unattended. That isn't a Fantasy Grounds thing, it would be true even if FG2 is not running. Safer options for play-by-post would be a bulletin board allowing that style of play or even just a shared document in Google docs.

Griogre
September 14th, 2012, 18:36
I agree with Valarian that for pure play by post there are probably better options than FG including groups and message boards dedicated to play by post. If you play a normal game with FG and also just leave FG up for play by post between sessions I can see a small benefit since you would just carry on at you live game where you left off on the play per post between sessions. Play by post usually moves so slowly compared to a live session I'm just not seeming much benefit to leaving an FG server up all the time.

Personally I have a different group for each of my online groups and we use the message board for any between session role playing.

bnason
September 16th, 2012, 02:52
Hi Blue,

I use FG2 on my laptop and home PC. It works fine with DropBox. I'd recommend creating symbolic links / junctions to the folders in Dropbox. Works best that way - essentially, you do the two installs separately, then delete the folders in your appdata directory, and create symbolic links to them on your dropbox folder (got to copy them there first).

Let me know and I can provide more detailed instructions if the above doesn't make sense.