PDA

View Full Version : Any games for tweens or teens?

Emrak
September 13th, 2012, 21:32
My son recently attended the Kids Track games during GenCon and loved them! He would like to play in a PFS game, but our area is pretty remote and we don't have any groups nearby. Are there any tween/teen games running here?

Thanks

Gwaihir Scout
September 13th, 2012, 21:58
Hi, Emrak.

How old is your son, exactly? I'm getting conflicting indications from your post. I don't know the target age for Kids Track, but I would have thought preteens. Paizo is pretty good at keeping PFS material relatively family-friendly, although individual GMs differ. Blackfoot and I are running a couple of First Steps scenarios this Saturday, which are a great introduction to PFS. You can sign up here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=888), and the discussion thread is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17285).

Now, I'd imagine that the Kids Track games used the Beginner Box rules, which are only a subset of the full rules. So your son may not know about things like Combat Maneuvers. Everything you need for the core rules is here (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/), and PFS-specific stuff (like how to register and make a character) is here (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety).

We will need the character ASAP, so we can check it over and make sure it loads up fine.

Emrak
September 13th, 2012, 22:09
Awesome!

He's 12. Yeah, the age groups in Kids Tracks fluctuated pretty wildly. There were parents there at the table with toddlers. I'm sure the parents thought it was cute, but the toddlers were more interested in eating the dice than rolling them... On the other end of the spectrum there were some kids who looked to be about 15 or so.

Yup, they used the BB.

He is specifically looking for a younger (i.e., non-adult...besides the GM) group. Is that the group consistency? Barring that, he's in like Flynn! Just let me know.

Thanks

Gwaihir Scout
September 14th, 2012, 01:18
If there are enough people in that age bracket to make a group, they haven't identified themselves as far as I've seen.

Blackfoot
September 14th, 2012, 01:21
There will be at least one 13 year old in my game on Saturday... so it will definitely be youth friendly.

Emrak
September 14th, 2012, 16:00
There will be at least one 13 year old in my game on Saturday... so it will definitely be youth friendly.

Awesome. I've applied to the Saturday game just to reserve the slot until we can get him set up with an account. He spoke regarding interest in being a Cleric. It's hard to tell from that list who is in whose group. Blackfoot, do you have a class list of current party members?

Thanks!

Blackfoot
September 14th, 2012, 16:06
I know I have an Oracle, a Cleric, and an Alchemist at least... I'm not quite sure what the rest of the mix is yet although you can see if you take a look at the game thread. If he wants to play... I NEED to have a character today. If you aren't up to speed with FG exports I can deal with any sort of format. (pdf, jpg.. whatever.. as long as I can read the file) You should also do a post to the game thread.

Emrak
September 14th, 2012, 16:09
I'm at work now, but he'll create a char (and an FG account) and get it to you this evening.

avro5731
September 14th, 2012, 20:29
I'm at work now, but he'll create a char (and an FG account) and get it to you this evening.

I have a couple of kids that may be interested in playing also (although not in tomorrows game.) If there is something going for that age group I will see if they want in... remembering that youngers get whiny late at night so it would depend on the time too. :pirate:

Blackfoot
September 14th, 2012, 21:45
I have 2 PFS members that I run with regularly (ages 12 & 13)... and another 15 year old who is very excited about playing.
So I definitely will be running kid friendly games in the future.

gaara6666
September 15th, 2012, 07:46
I wanna say one word "PRIDE". I am so proud of this community. it isnt about being elitist or "rules savy" its definitely not monte cook.....may he get poked by pitchforks.

But I am so proud how well the tabletop community inducts and helps new people. for the most part it is one of the most socially accepting phenomenons in hobbies or sports and I love it. grat going guys. many kudos

Blackfoot
September 15th, 2012, 14:48
Awesome. I've applied to the Saturday game just to reserve the slot until we can get him set up with an account. He spoke regarding interest in being a Cleric. It's hard to tell from that list who is in whose group. Blackfoot, do you have a class list of current party members?

Thanks!
No character?

Part 2:
Dominic-Rogue
MorQuesse-Cleric
Erulissë-Witch
Sierra-Paladin
Nithrang-Rogue

Part 1:
Kara-Oracle
Banic-Cleric
Kirsa-Ranger
Emrak?
Krixis Kal'dori-Alchemist

Elya-Sorcerer

Blackfoot
September 15th, 2012, 14:54
But I am so proud how well the tabletop community inducts and helps new people. for the most part it is one of the most socially accepting phenomenons in hobbies or sports and I love it. great going guys. many kudos
Gaming is about sharing one of the things we have a passion for... isn't it?
I have met really cool folks in this community and a very limited number of freaks. It is probably helpful that we don't have to actually see or smell each other. :D

Emrak
September 15th, 2012, 16:43
No character?

I'm so sorry Blackfoot! I thought I responded to this post last night. I was on my ipad though, so I probably fat-fingered it and it didn't send. Regardless...my boy already had plans to spend the night at a lock-in party (I forgot) and thus couldn't make a char.

He'll have to pass on tonight's game, but DEFINITELY count him in for any future youth PFS session.

Thanks

Blackfoot
September 23rd, 2012, 01:31
I'm looking at running Godsmouth Heresy sometime in the near future with a group that has at least 3 kids (12-15) in it. Looks like there might be 2 slots available.
This is a 'Sanctioned Module' so it runs in at least 3 sessions... scheduling will be a bit tricky as the players will need to commit to at least 3, 4 hour sessions.
I've run this one once before and there is a lot of meat to it, we had a very hard time getting through it all in 4 sessions... let alone 3.
I will have more information about it when I get the schedule straight on my end... but it will very likely be a 'kid friendly' game based on the crew I have so far.

Emrak
September 24th, 2012, 21:26
I'm looking at running Godsmouth Heresy sometime in the near future with a group that has at least 3 kids (12-15) in it. Looks like there might be 2 slots available.
This is a 'Sanctioned Module' so it runs in at least 3 sessions... scheduling will be a bit tricky as the players will need to commit to at least 3, 4 hour sessions.
I've run this one once before and there is a lot of meat to it, we had a very hard time getting through it all in 4 sessions... let alone 3.
I will have more information about it when I get the schedule straight on my end... but it will very likely be a 'kid friendly' game based on the crew I have so far.

Fantastic! Keep me posted please!

avro5731
September 24th, 2012, 21:34
have 2 here that would like to play... say when (remembering they are in school of course)

Blackfoot
December 17th, 2012, 16:25
I will be looking to put together a run of 'Godsmouth Heresy' for a kids group over the Christmas Break... I'm still trying to work out the dates... maybe the weekend BEFORE Christmas.. although I still need to get a bunch of shopping done... we'll have to see how that plays out.

Oh.. this will be a 'Kid' game... primarily for teens/tweens/and their parents.

avro5731
December 17th, 2012, 17:28
Sweet!!! Thanks for doing this! Pending the day I will be in with one or two of my daughters.

Blackfoot
December 17th, 2012, 17:50
My girls will both be playing so that gives us pretty much a full crew right off... on that basis we just need to work out the 2 schedules and it will be really simple.

Trueshots
December 17th, 2012, 22:03
Blackfoot,

Not sure when your next "kids" game is, but I have a 12 year old that may be interested in playing (more, I would like him to be interested and see someone that knows what they are doing run a game). I bought a bunch of books and am going do a lot of reading this month to try and learn how to DM for some family run games with my wife and 3 kids. But him pretty positive with my knowledge and storytelling skills combined.....it could be a massive failure LOL!

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 03:14
Depending on how many show up with avro5731 and if we can get a date/time that works for everyone... it looks like we have our 6 for this one. (including Trueshot's son.)
My girls will be bringing:
Fran - Ranger 1
Everia - Oracle 1 (I think.. unless she plays her new Summoner)

Who else are we looking at?

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 03:23
Who else are we looking at?

Hey man, I'm the last to chime in so I'll take the low initiative roll on this one. But If you have a spot my 12 year old son said he would like to try it out. I assume I would need to get him a separate PFS account? would I have to do a separate FG subscription? I can make the character on hero lab no problem, but good Lord he's more indecisive than I am, you better schedule this thing in the summer of 2016, LOL. Just let me know and I'll make sure he has everything set.

Also I assume there will be no foul language and such? Its been nice for me, even the adults I've been playing with haven't used foul language, refreshing tbh!

avro5731
December 18th, 2012, 04:02
Daughter #1 will be playing a bard type and #2 decided to be a preteen and wont be playing.

So True, we are looking forward to you and your son playing. This weekend isn't good but other than that we can talk.

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 04:05
Sounds good. My brother and his family are coming in for Christmas from I think the 23-27th so I won't be around on those days at all but anytime before or after is good. Pretty much anytime of days is good within reason of bedtimes :) were est.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 04:18
I was looking at maybe sometime Saturday as a first session... but that sounds like that might be a problem... as I've said.. this takes several sessions to get through... I estimate 3-5 especially with some newbies. We can run one of them long if everyone is up for it and having fun... it kinda depends on the dynamic and we definitely have the flexibility to play the module any way that works for everyone. My girls are pretty experienced now so they should be able to help... it will be really interesting to see how this goes.

As far as 'keeping it clean' .. that would absolutely be the expectation.

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 04:23
I never asked, are parents playing too or is this just for the kids. I can do whatever is expected. I'll be there anyway just to help my son, this will be his 1st time ever playing a role playing game. For some reason kids today think video games are better :)

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 04:42
As parents, it is our job to educate our children.
The idea behind this game is parents and kids... certainly 'I' wouldn't want my girls playing in some game with some strange guy on the internet that I wasn't somehow involved in... so I wouldn't ask anyone to do otherwise.

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 04:45
As parents, it is our job to educate our children.
The idea behind this game is parents and kids... certainly 'I' wouldn't want my girls playing in some game with some strange guy on the internet that I wasn't somehow involved in... so I wouldn't ask anyone to do otherwise.

More directly. Do i play a character and he plays one also. Or do I just help him play his? sorry if I wasn't clear.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 05:06
I'm sorry.. I thought I said 'yes, you can play too.' Your 12 year old doesn't want you to help him play... :) (he will take some help as the game goes along though.. and will probably need it.)

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 05:17
Crap last question do I need separate PFS accounts and FG accounts? Or is it possible to load 2 characters into FGs? Thanks

avro5731
December 18th, 2012, 05:37
I know you need a diff pfs number but not sure if we need 2 fg. My daughter will be sitting next to me on my box so I hope not.

FYI my daughter has played twice so no expert but I will be helping so mechanics should be aok. As far as rping she wants to be an actress so she can rp just fine.

This Saturday isn't good for us. My daughter is going across the state to family and I don't know what time they will be back but it will be late. We have time in the evenings or next week (break starts next week for my kids)

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 05:49
Yea my sons pretty shy don't think there Wil be much Rp outta him. On the other hand he likes killing imaginary things.....
We have 6 computers in the house so he has his own. My kids are schooled from home so we can rearrange anything to suit your schedule. Well work on creating him a character tomorrow.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 13:20
Yea my sons pretty shy don't think there Wil be much Rp outta him. On the other hand he likes killing imaginary things.....
We have 6 computers in the house so he has his own. My kids are schooled from home so we can rearrange anything to suit your schedule. Well work on creating him a character tomorrow.
Hopefully, he'll find his way and become comfortable with roleplaying to whatever level.. which is fine... that is kinda the point of playing with a whole group of kids.

And yes.. you need 2 different Paizo accounts/PFS numbers.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 13:22
My kids are home on Monday and Thursday night next week... although Monday is out...

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 15:05
I created a calendar entry where we can sort out the scheduling and invited you guys.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2012, 16:00
We have 6 computers in the house so he has his own.
FYI - Blackfoot has a full FG licence, so each instance of Fantasy Grounds connecting will need a lite FG licence - even if they are in the same house. So, if you each have a separate computer running, you will need 2 lite licences - you can't use the same licence across multiple computers.

Blackfoot - sorry for butting in... :)

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 16:07
FYI - Blackfoot has a full FG licence, so each instance of Fantasy Grounds connecting will need a lite FG licence - even if they are in the same house. So, if you each have a separate computer running, you will need 2 lite licences - you can't use the same licence across multiple computers.

Blackfoot - sorry for butting in... :)

Can I load my character and his character in from my computer and we use just 1 computer? I'd hate do buy him a licence and he not enjoy this and never play again. Wanted to use this as a trial.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2012, 16:52
That's perfectly fine... we'll work it out.

Trueshots
December 18th, 2012, 17:01
LOL, In the process of sitting down with son to make his character, his attention span is about as short as I am fat! He keep saying he wants a healing class with a sword and shield. He has semi picked a Druid with scimitar and shield (he liked the pets). I would assume If he wants to be a mighty healer, then Cleric or Druid correct? I doubt bard, pally, other would be as hefty in the heal department? I have never had a ton of interest myself in heal classes but have basic knowledge but that's about it. Looks as if I'll be doing more reading.......

avro5731
December 18th, 2012, 17:16
Actually, if you lose the pet, Pallys heal rather well and have Lay on Hands plus they get smite. Problem is its a lot rules for a new player much less a younger one.

Isamill
December 18th, 2012, 19:44
This is awesome guys and gals, I remember my first english teacher in high school at the tender age of 12, he went through the FF book "Warlock of Firetop Mountain" with the class, and from then on I was hooked with RPGs and about 5 of that class formed a group playing basic DnD until I changed schools a couple of years later.
This is a great platform (from what I have seen - being a newbie) to get the next generation of kids into RPGs in a setting that they are familiar with (computers etc)
I think it would be an awesome idea if there are any teachers out there to utilise this system and it will help teach a multitude of things - acting, maths, storytelling, morals (helping those in need ie rescue the princess, save the town from evil etc)
If a small country school in the middle of nowhere can get 5 players loving RPG just imagine how many we could get from larger towns, cities and more importantly the remote areas like where I live 1800km to the nearest gaming store!
keep up the good work and I love this awesome community!!!

avro5731
December 20th, 2012, 01:25
Girls toons

Fergie - Animal Speaking Bard - 54573-1 (Range Based)
Romas (and Wolf pet) - Wolf Shaman (Druid) - 54488-1 (Range Based)

I will make a new toon based on what the group needs when others post.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2012, 01:29
I'm sitting here right now crunching out my son's toon, after going from druid to cleric to pally to fighter.....we are now at a Half Orc Barbarian with a hunting cat....still working out details, i'll update ya when im finished :) and for me, No telling lol maybe inquisitor, been liking the looks of those!

Peanut
December 20th, 2012, 03:13
I'll be playing my Tengu Ranger.. she's good with fighting and bow.

avro5731
December 20th, 2012, 04:18
LOL pets and bows and one raging orc

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2012, 21:05
Sounds that way.

avro5731
December 20th, 2012, 21:11
Black, what was your other daughter playing?

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2012, 21:13
She's playing her new Summoner of course.
Rakashan-Tiefling with a Kittycat Eidelon.

Because you can't have too many pets.
Can we go for filling the entire top bar with PCs and friends?

Blackfoot
December 21st, 2012, 22:20
Girls toons

Fergie - Animal Speaking Bard - 54573-1 (Range Based)
Romas (and Wolf pet) - Wolf Shaman (Druid) - 54488-1 (Range Based)

I will make a new toon based on what the group needs when others post.
Checking these characters over.. Fergie doesn't seem to have any spells.
Is she supposed to have some sort of cat or something?

Trueshots
December 21st, 2012, 22:22
Checking these characters over..
Sorry man I'm in a game right now, wont be done til 9ish EST. Ill spend rest of night completing our characters and have them loaded on here before I go to bed, or that's my plan :).

avro5731
December 21st, 2012, 22:49
Checking these characters over.. Fergie doesn't seem to have any spells.
Is she supposed to have some sort of cat or something?

She should have spells listed, I will reconvert and no she "talks" to them like a Psychiatrist or Dr Do Little.

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 06:46
OK finally finished this mess.....

Barb and Fighter we ought to make a nice 1-2 punch on the front lines, hope we got healing LOL!

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2012, 14:41
OK finally finished this mess.....

Barb and Fighter we ought to make a nice 1-2 punch on the front lines, hope we got healing LOL!
A couple of minor issues... HeroLab seems to allow 'stone' on any item..
the actual rules read:

Stone

Stone Age weapons almost always utilize stone in some way. From rocks lashed to wooden hafts to create early maces and axes, to flint knives and stone arrowheads, these primitive weapons are still deadly.

Stone weapons cost a quarter of what base items of their type do, and weigh 75% of what base items of their type do.

Weapons: Light and one-handed bludgeoning weapons, spears, and arrowheads can all be made of stone.

Weapons made of stone have half the hardness of their base weapons, and have the fragile condition.

Armor: Armor cannot usually be constructed from stone, but advanced, often alchemically enhanced stone armor made by dwarves or other stone-working cultures does exist.So not surprisingly, you cannot make a stone composite longbow. Stone is not 'bendable'.. the primary element of bows in general. :)

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 17:47
I changed it, I was trying to keep him light encumbered so I used stone to reduce weight. problem was he had 100 arrows, deleted them all and gave him a few darts for the occasional range attack and hes good to go.

Have you notice that imports from hero lab don't add in HP gained from CON modifier? I had to add that and the HP from toughness feat. Another problem I'm scared were going to have is when he rages, he'll get +4 con, which is 2 HP. The HP aren't going to show up. So I added an effect called "Rage" and manually added all the plus/minus stats in. My command was as follows [Rage; STR: +4; CON: +4; WILL SAVE: +2; AC: -2: HP: +2] I have no idea if its going to work, lol.

Nevertheless, going to try and load this on a test server to test out, but 1st I have to figure out how to make a grid and some bad guys lol

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2012, 19:21
The best way to reduce the weight on wooden items is to buy the darkwood version. Tough to do for a starting character... but...

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2012, 19:40
The HP thing has to be done manually... effects won't tweak his HP.
Based on the description of 'stone weapons' I'd say you couldn't do a precise blade like a nodachi either.

Light and one-handed bludgeoning weapons, spears, and arrowheads can all be made of stone.Sorry.

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2012, 19:44
I do have my server up if you want to go over anything.

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2012, 22:10
Have you notice that imports from hero lab don't add in HP gained from CON modifier? I had to add that and the HP from toughness feat.
I haven't noticed any problems with that before. I've just done a quick test:

Fighter 1st level, CON 16, Toughness feat, favoured class +1 HP = 17 HP total.
Save Custom Output - Fantasy Grounds, to export .hlfg file.
Used the latest Character Converter (V2.9.2a) to import the .hlfg file (PFRPG input mode) to "local import".
Started FG - Manage Characters for the 3.5E ruleset and checked the character.

I followed the steps above and the full 17 HP came across correctly.

What process are you following? What version of the character converter are you using?

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 22:12

Used the latest Character Converter (V2.9.2a) to import the .hlfg file (PFRPG input mode) to "local import".

What process are you following? What version of the character converter are you using?

when i go into FG i pick the other one not 3.5e, think its PFS**, is this my problem?

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2012, 22:17
when i go into FG i pick the other one not 3.5e, think its PFS**, is this my problem?
Yeah, that's the problem. That is a read only version of your character from that specific game you played - it is accessing it from the campaign cache you would have downloaded from the GM as part of that game.

The Character Converter loads into the "ruleset" manage characters section - select the correct ruleset (3.5E in this case) and off you go.

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 22:19
Yeah, that's the problem. That is a read only version of your character from that specific game you played - it is accessing it from the campaign cache you would have downloaded from the GM as part of that game.

The Character Converter loads into the "ruleset" manage characters section - select the correct ruleset (3.5E in this case) and off you go.

excellent, thanks!

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2012, 22:28
I've never had that problem before either.

avro5731
December 23rd, 2012, 09:43
Oracle and Mount

Trueshots
December 23rd, 2012, 16:42

hey man I was just messing around in Hero Lab, I think the problem is in Hero Lab before it's ever even converted to FG's. Take a look at the pic I included, Should have 10 HP +3 con mod = 13HP. But it never changes.

avro5731
December 23rd, 2012, 19:12
Starting GP

Orie:14 gp
Fregie: 8745gp
Romas: 600gp

Trueshots
December 23rd, 2012, 22:41
8745 gold, is Fregie a Wall Street investor as her day job?

avro5731
December 23rd, 2012, 22:44
PFS is reviewing her taxes.... :D

ok really its 875gp

Blackfoot
December 23rd, 2012, 22:44
hey man I was just messing around in Hero Lab, I think the problem is in Hero Lab before it's ever even converted to FG's. Take a look at the pic I included, Should have 10 HP +3 con mod = 13HP. But it never changes.
Umm.. what is this 'Vigor' thing? You have something set wrong in HL.

Yeah.. click off all the Ultimate Combat stuff except the first one.

Trenloe
December 24th, 2012, 04:00
Umm.. what is this 'Vigor' thing? You have something set wrong in HL.

Yeah.. click off all the Ultimate Combat stuff except the first one.
Yep - and if you're making a PFS character, make sure you also select "Pathfinder Society Organized Play Character" this will help to tell you what is legal and what isn't for PFS - always check the red "!" icon in the top right had corner - this will tell you things that aren't complete are aren't legal - like vigor and wounds, for example.

Trueshots
December 24th, 2012, 04:03
Yea I just pretty much click "organized play" then I add all the packs in I bought (which is all of em) then move to character creation.....

Trenloe
December 24th, 2012, 04:09
Yea I just pretty much click "organized play" then I add all the packs in I bought (which is all of em) then move to character creation.....
Well keep an eye for the red "I" icon in the top right and click on it if it is red, this will tell you what is incorrect with your character as a first step. But, this is not a complete replacement for you knowing what is legal and what is not legal - always research a character that you are building in the PFS guide to organized play and resources page to see what is allowed and what isn't.

Trueshots
December 24th, 2012, 04:13
Black, Lil info fro son and I for ya.

Wasabi (71518-3
Fame: 0 (Taldor)
PP:0
Starting Gold: 79
xp:0

Coledaddy (71992-1)
Fame:0 (Taldor)
PP:0
Starting Gold:39
xp:0

Trueshots
December 27th, 2012, 22:30
Black, looks like my game starts at 2pm est instead of 12, so that will give us 2 more hours, 5 hours should be good.

avro5731
December 27th, 2012, 22:41
If there are no issues we could leave the tanks out for the 3 or 4 hrs while True does his getting to know you meeting.

or

We ca break till 6 or 7 p

Trueshots
December 27th, 2012, 22:55
Will 9am-2pm not be enough time for us?

avro5731
December 28th, 2012, 00:41
The 5th was going to be our long day; I believe we talked about this a few times. Playing the evening of the 31 and then Sat the 5th was a long day to try to finish the module.

Blackfoot
December 28th, 2012, 00:44
We can play it by ear and see how things go... if we have to go to a 4th session.. we'll have to deal from there... but it's great that we'll have some extra time Trueshots, good news.

Trueshots
December 31st, 2012, 00:16
What time are we playing tomorrow? I lost the pad I had it written on.

avro5731
December 31st, 2012, 00:35
7p I believe

Blackfoot
December 31st, 2012, 01:51
The game calendar is your friend.

avro5731
December 31st, 2012, 01:53
lol I heard it was evil!!!:p

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 03:20
As the starter of this Ye Olde Thread, I'd love to know if there are any groups available yet? I had a couple PMs but the games never occurred, unfortunately. :-/

Thanks!

Trueshots
January 28th, 2013, 03:26
I'm running one this coming Thursday. If your needing it to be kid friendly just say the word and it will be done. I've met a lot if people on this site and most everyone keeps a pretty clean discussion. But they alway do when a child is around or asked to keep it clean! My 12 year old has played and loves it now and I'm hoping at getting my soon to be 7 year old to play. If you have questions please let me know!

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2013, 05:22
As the starter of this Ye Olde Thread, I'd love to know if there are any groups available yet? I had a couple PMs but the games never occurred, unfortunately. :-/

Thanks!
Unfortunately you missed my run of Godsmouth Heresy over Christmas break. It went really well and the kids seemed to have a great time. We did end up being a bit player heavy though.

This seems like an area where more GMs could step up and run games, there is definitely an audience out there.

My daughter 'may' be stepping up to run a kid only game sometime in the near future... so that may be a possibility.

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 14:45
Thanks for the replies!

@Trueshots That would be great, but unfortunately my son can't play on school nights. It would have to be a Friday or Saturday.

@Blackfoot I hear ya. How about this, could you (or perhaps someone very familiar with modules) give a couple modules that are relatively "kid friendly?" I can probably run a game or two. :)

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2013, 15:49
One issue I ran into with this sort of game was that I really felt it was a good idea to have a parent present for the game, but since players in pairs add up really fast.. you end up filling the table very quickly.

Maybe it's 'good enough' to operate like the Scouts and require 2 adults to be present. That should hopefully avoid concerns about adults and kids playing together over the internet. There was nothing even close to anything to be concerned about in my game (except for a little bit of adult content which I glossed over) so maybe this is no big deal... but I know I, for one, don't want my kids playing these games unsupervised. Plus I really enjoy the opportunity to get to play the games WITH them.

What do you folks think?

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 15:52
What do you folks think?

I've done quite a bit of podcasting/audio editing in my time and I may have a solution (at least for my games). I can record the sessions and make them available online. Even better, I can live stream them, so that parents can listen in as is their wont w/o taking up a game slot.

EDIT: I missed the part about playing with kids. True that. I would never turn away a parent who wanted to play, but, having said that, what kind of drove this whole initiative (at least for me) was the PF Kids Tracks games at last Gen Con. It's a delight for a child to play in a child-only game, and then be able to interact with their team outside of the event. Aka, my son has kept in touch with a couple of the other kids he met at Gen Con and plans to hook up with them again this year. I think it'd be phenomenal to create those kinds of kid-connections on FG as well. These are players he may end up knowing his entire life! :)

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2013, 16:01
The alternative option to this whole concept is just to sign them up (depending on the age group we are actually talking about) for regular games. This is what I have done with my girls in the past and it has gone fine.
They are perhaps a bit more distracted than your standard adult player but that really happens with many PCs who aren't in the limelight. The kids tend to be a little intimidated by the adults and are less inclined to make suggestions. Our group in Godsmouth did better and better as the game moved along... since it is a module the multiple sessions gave them a chance to get to know each other and come out of their shells a lot. The younger kids definitely were less focused than the older ones.. but that may have more to do with the kid than the actual age.
They do seem to like having the adult player resource and having an adult player who is happy to take a support position is probably a 'good thing'.

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 16:24
The alternative option to this whole concept is just to sign them up (depending on the age group we are actually talking about) for regular games.

For myself, I've ruled this out, I'm afraid. I've tried it, but ultimately both the kids (and the adults) have more fun when they're grouped with peers of a similar age range. Also (ideally) one or more of the kids will have the urge to GM and having a familiar group of peers will help to encourage that, IMHO. Very few adult groups would go along with a minor experimenting as a GM, I suspect.

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2013, 17:47
Very few adult groups would go along with a minor experimenting as a GM, I suspect.
I think that is very dependent on what sort of parent/player they are. Those with a supportive, nurturing sort of attitude do fine with it and are very helpful .. just like with any other sort of novice GM.

avro5731
January 28th, 2013, 18:49
Thanks for offering to run some games Emrak, I'm sure our kids will have fun.

The whole streaming is cool but I agree with Blackfoot I would still want a couple of adults, like we did in his game (support types healer and what not). Sometimes the game needs to be poked to keep them going on track or to stop side conversations that are out of hand. (Like more games)

Other than some kids (mine specifically) going off on a bunny trail and needing to be rerouted to the mission (then again I know lots of adults who do this in games too) some kids don't have a grasp on the rules. This was another big issue that slowed us down and another reason to have very patient people (adults/parents)in the game. Also I was looking to play with my kids and enjoy the time with them just as others are (with there kids). Unlike Black's kids mine need more experience playing before they do any games where over 18 is the majority.

As far as kids GMing - if they know the rules enough to try, I'm game. I'm pretty sure my oldest would love to GM once she gets into it (god complex hehe). Blackfoot if your little one wants to do a game I am sure one of my kids if not more (3rd one now wants to start) would love to play it.

avro5731
January 28th, 2013, 18:56
I think that is very dependent on what sort of parent/player they are. Those with a supportive, nurturing sort of attitude do fine with it and are very helpful .. just like with any other sort of novice GM.

Yeppers! I have played with lots of new GMs. Most ppl here are cool with helping.

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 19:18

Oh of course, if the adult players are parents of the child experimenting, then I would expect them to be supportive. I thought we were talking about a child trying to GM a regular adult group of gamers (with perhaps 1 parent involved).

Emrak
January 28th, 2013, 19:21
Let me see if I can come up with a good game to run. :) I'll keep everyone posted.

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2013, 21:09
Oh of course, if the adult players are parents of the child experimenting, then I would expect them to be supportive. I thought we were talking about a child trying to GM a regular adult group of gamers (with perhaps 1 parent involved).
No.. I don't think so. I was talking, at one point, about kids playing in regular games... which is fine as long as everyone involved is cool with it. I know that my kid will be much more comfortable running for a group of kids or kids and parents... especially if the group is familiar to her.