PDA

View Full Version : Map format and file type

Prophecy
September 10th, 2012, 02:50
Good evening,

could you tell me what image type you are using for maps ... JPG ?
PNG files does not allow tokens to be targeted when clicking on those, what other types are used mostly ?

What is your preference as a standard dungeon map size in pixels to fit in the window with all the other apps around.

Thanks for your time !

Alex

Griogre
September 10th, 2012, 05:10
Pngs should allow you to target tokens but only if the tokens are dragged from the combat tracker. Hopefully that is the problem. First drag a personality onto the combat tracker put a token on the personality on the tracker if there is not already one on it and then drag the token onto the map.

I personally use Pngs for maps 200K or less. I'll use Jpgs for bigger file sizes. Pixel size for maps obviously vary with the size of you players screen resolution, but you are almost always OK with 600x600 even for guys with a laptop. However, you can resize the image frame so you should not really feel contained by the 600 x 600 for image size. So the 600 x 600 is really the display size. To set the frame size I usually just drag the image frame down/up so it matches the chat window length when you first start FG and then make it square.

Griogre
September 10th, 2012, 05:17
Forgot to mention. The pixel size you choose for your medium monsters will drive the size of the grid on the map which will in turn drive the size of you map in pixels. I use 32 pixels square for medium monsters but a lot of people use 50 pixels. You usually want your map grid smaller than you medium size creature in pixels like 1/2 to 2/3rds.

So for me my maps have a 25 pixel grid which means in a 600 x 600 pixel window I can show 24x24 squares. The basic trade off is "pretty" tokens vs. showing more map squares at once.

damned
September 10th, 2012, 14:29
png is good where your image has lots of block colours and no gradients while jpg works best if there are lots of gradients and few block colours... by works best i mean has the smaller image size.

Torgaard
September 12th, 2012, 20:30
I rarely make small maps, so I pretty much make all mine (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15833) jpg's, due to the typically smaller file size.