PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Edge of Empire

Emrak
September 9th, 2012, 16:39
Anyone out there in FG-land get a copy of the beta?

Emrak
September 10th, 2012, 21:44
P.S.---woot! I got a copy!

Definitely going to try to mock up a very, very rudimentary new ruleset that simply supports rolling the new SW:EotE dice pool. If anyone has any advice in that regards, please chime in! :)

Trenloe
September 10th, 2012, 21:46
Look at the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3 ruleset for a good example of how to use FFGs funky dice and dice pools.

Emrak
September 10th, 2012, 22:08
Will do. Thanks for the tip Trenloe.

Hopefully I can just comment out everything I don't need leaving just the dice...but we shall see. I'm a total ruleset-building-n00b but I do have a bit of a programmatic background, so we shall see.

daddystabz
September 25th, 2012, 03:36
I really, really need this for my beta group. Anyone working on this?

Emrak
September 25th, 2012, 14:26
I'm working on it. Putting in currently about 1-3 hours a week. In the research/learning phase right now. Projected completion date is early/mid November. I'm doing it because I have to...if anyone else wants to take up the mantle, that'd be fantastic. lol

AMonkeyWithAFez
September 26th, 2012, 04:30
I'm working on it. Putting in currently about 1-3 hours a week. In the research/learning phase right now. Projected completion date is early/mid November. I'm doing it because I have to...if anyone else wants to take up the mantle, that'd be fantastic. lol

I currently have a working dice roller, but I need to modify a couple of things like the image files for one...they are currently too hard to read the dice outcome. I used Neil's version 1 ruleset for WFRP 3... I figured the less Warhammer stuff I needed to contend with the better...

I don't have a working character sheet, that is in process as I to am learning how to work with the programming language... A drag and drop interface would sure be nice right about now...

It takes some time, but I am able to slowly figure out how it works by looking at the code and using my limited understanding of programming logic to Frankenstein something useable.

The dice work nice, just need to fix the image files.

Monkey

P.S. I don't have the rules yet, so I am working off my knowledge of how WFRP 3 functions, reading the FFG forums and using the character sheet as inspiration...

neilgfoster
September 26th, 2012, 09:01
I currently have a working dice roller, but I need to modify a couple of things like the image files for one...they are currently too hard to read the dice outcome. I used Neil's version 1 ruleset for WFRP 3... I figured the less Warhammer stuff I needed to contend with the better...

If you need any help understanding how the dice work in my WFRP 3rd Edition ruleset, then feel free to ask away.

AMonkeyWithAFez
September 26th, 2012, 12:45
If you need any help understanding how the dice work in my WFRP 3rd Edition ruleset, then feel free to ask away.

Thank you Neil! The dice rolling works, I can drop the custom dice into the dice box to build a pool. Can grab the pool and drop them into the chat window and it lists out the results and generates the successes/failures as well as the advantages/threats and the threat/despair. I just need to go back and rework the image files to make them more readable.

The character sheet is my next attempt. If I can ask you questions about that, that would be great?!

Monkey

neilgfoster
September 26th, 2012, 12:48
No problem. I have sent a PM with my personal email address so you can ask any questions you like.

Emrak
September 27th, 2012, 01:15
Thank you AMonkey! Great news! :D

Good thing too, because I'm only on chapter 3 of the Ruleset anatomy guide (part of my perfectionist streak is I have to understand something in totality before I begin work lol)...

AMonkeyWithAFez
September 27th, 2012, 21:49
Thank you AMonkey! Great news! :D

Good thing too, because I'm only on chapter 3 of the Ruleset anatomy guide (part of my perfectionist streak is I have to understand something in totality before I begin work lol)...

My friend who is a lawyer and a gamer said don't touch anything with SW on it with a ten foot pole... Too much trouble. So I'm not gonna be able to send anything out. Sorry... Hopefully you can figure it out on your own.

Emrak
September 28th, 2012, 03:50
I'm sure others can chime in with more info, but it seems to me that by providing a Ruleset, you're not distributing anything that infinges on a copyright. Heck, if you go to the FFG Star Wars forums, you'll see lots of user generated crib sheets/docs/excel files/etc. being distributed that go far beyond anything a Ruleset would provide.

Griogre
September 28th, 2012, 07:53
It's generally agreed that a character sheet only ruleset is legal presuming you don't add any copyrighted art (I'm not a lawyer though!). Character sheet only means no automation of the rules. However, the problem is that even if it is legal most people wouldn't want any legal hassels with Lucas. Generally its wise to get permission even if something is legal. Some companies have policies for fan created material. Lucas is known for aggressively going after infringment of their intelectual property which is probably what AMonkeyWithAFez's friend was worried about.

Valarian
September 28th, 2012, 11:48
Publishers will rarely give permission for a ruleset (even a community one) where there are licensing restrictions and other online content licensees (e.g. https://www.swtor.com/). This is because the legal types see virtual tabletops as "computer game". Ironic when you consider the feedback from the Steam community. So, you are "facilitating the playing of a role-playing game online" - which can infringe on the rights given to another party.

Emrak
September 28th, 2012, 22:15
@neilgfoster - Just want to say that, as I'm churning through your WHFRP ruleset, you really went above and beyond the call of duty! Good job!

Ceodryn
November 25th, 2012, 18:56
Emrak, MonkeyWithAFez,

If you end up creating a ruleset for SWEotE and need help coding a library for it, I'd be willing. I am also willing to help coding the ruleset, albeit I have never done any ruleset.

I however created a library for WFRP3rd edition, that is complementary to Neil's WFRP3 ruleset. Regarding copyright infringement, I wanted to mention that FFG has been very comprehensive about the coding of the library, and Games Workshop is know to be as stringent as Lucasfilm.

I think the most important is not to code how the rules work nor make them available publicly in an help module. A ruleset with dice pool, character sheet, and even talents, weapon qualities etc has not been a problem.

Anyway, as I said, I'd be very interested to help you with the SWEotE ruleset. Basically, I am happy to help code a library for it (talents, weapon qualities, NPCs, starships etc...) as I did for WFRP3, or help with the ruleset if needed.

Let me know, and in any case, I'd love to see your SWEotE rulesets. I was thinking to create one myself using Neil's latest WFRP3 work, but if someone is already working on it, I'd prefer to help those persons.

Cheers
Ceodryn

PS: If you are interested in my library for WFRP3, come and join the WFRP3 Virtual Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/wfrp3-virtual-rpg) and you can download it there, as well as other mods for WFRP3 FG2.

daddystabz
December 3rd, 2012, 05:59
I'd buy this ruleset and any extras for it in a heartbeat.

Ceodryn
January 22nd, 2013, 15:57
I just wanted to resurrect this thread, and see if anyone has worked on a SWEotE ruleset, and would be able to share it?

Thanks in advance
Ceodryn

radekg
January 22nd, 2013, 21:30
+1.

There is basic "ruleset" for maptool available.. but I don't like maptool ;). If anyone has done any job coding this for Fantasy Grounds - please share!

Thanks,
Radek.

Emrak
January 22nd, 2013, 21:36
After a hiatus, I'm reworking this. Hopefully I can get a stripped down version of WHFRP from Neil, but we'll see. I'll post back shortly with more info.

Ceodryn
February 18th, 2013, 14:19
Good luck Emrak! It would be a great addition to the community of you get a ruleset working. I know many people are waiting for one.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Emrak
February 19th, 2013, 21:59
ALCON,
I am not the proper one to organize this effort. I simply have too many projects ongoing at this time. That said, this wisdom may be helpful. The rather esteemed neilgfoster recommends utilizing the AFF2E ruleset as the starting point for a conversion:

May I suggest that instead of starting with my WFRP ruleset, you start with my AFF2E ruleset instead. The AFF2E ruleset is a very basic ruleset but I used my WFRP 3rd Edition as the starting point and stripped out all of WFRP 'Stuff'. I kept the custom dice rolling mechanism as the AFF2E ruleset uses an additional D6 for calculating damage so the code is still all there - you will just need to add the custom SW:EotE dice and logic for determining success or failure (which you could base on the WFRP ruleset)