PDA

View Full Version : PC Power Effects

Blackfoot
September 7th, 2012, 05:24
I was reading through the effects docs and I came across this one in the examples. Can anyone explain what exactly this does?

Willot
September 7th, 2012, 10:25
I was reading through the effects docs and I came across this one in the examples. Can anyone explain what exactly this does?

Wouldnt this have to do with 4E powers?

Blackfoot
September 7th, 2012, 13:17
I suppose it would, (it looks like this part of the 3.5 docs are just a mirror of the 4 docs) but what does it do? How does it work? It didn't seem to work as listed in the Examples... at least not in 3.5

Mgrancey
September 7th, 2012, 14:48
Which effect, or do you mean effects in general?

Blackfoot
September 7th, 2012, 15:27
*Pointing at the Thread Title*
'PC Power Effects'

Mgrancey
September 7th, 2012, 18:11
Do you mean the subheading on the page?

PC Power Effect Examples

RESIST: 2 [WIS]
ATK: [-DEX]
DMG: 2d6+1 [CON]

Those are just examples for effects that you would put on powers, if you check Effects -> Label: Modifier, they somewhat explain the breakdown of the code.

goota go right now can explian more later

Blackfoot
September 7th, 2012, 18:27
So this is a 4e only thing and it has no effect at all in 3.5? Because when I try the example code in 3.5 it doesn't seem to do anything.
There are some cases where what this 'appears' to do would be handy in 3.5.. some effect that takes away the target's stat bonus in certain situations. Similar to the flatfooted effect but more general.
on a similar note...
Last night I was trying to build a poison effect last night and could not seem to find one that did the proper activity. I looked at DMG: 2d6+1 [CON] and thought it might apply 2d6+1 damage to CON.. thinking the same might work for ODMG

I was really just trying to figure out how this specific [STAT] piece worked.. and if it worked at all.

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2012, 21:37
The ability tags will only work when applied/dragged from the spells sheet in the character window or an NPC record window.

Regards,
JPG

Mgrancey
September 8th, 2012, 03:57
Sorry that's what I meant to say, is "spells".

To add effects to a spell:

If it is already reparsed (having the small d20 before the drag/link icon.) GOTO 2. Right click and there will be a button with a list symbol select that will reparse it. Once it is reparsed, GOTO 2.
Click on the small d20 icon and the spell will expand.
You can right click in the space underneath and use the right icon "Ädd Spell Action" (an arrow pointing down and right) to add either a Spell Action: CAST, DAMAGE, HEAL, or EFFECT. Effects are where you type in the stuff you were asking about. The other three should be pretty obvious.

You can use "spells" for spells, magical item powers, maneuvers, etc. You can setup a fighter with various maneuvers that if they succeed can be applied to the target. You could setup a "spell" that would put the effect 'Prone' on them. A good way to learn about them is to find someone that has effects on a character of theirs and then look thru it, and then start experimenting.

A few key notes:

Case is important
all effects need a semi-colon at the end
You can place multiple effects at the same time (ie. Bungle (ATK: -20; SAVE:-20; ABIL: -20;)
CAST can be removed if you don't need it, such as if you were to have the maneuver Trip setup, you could setup it up to just apply damage

If you want a bit of a demo, I have tomorrow off, though I will be doing various things. Message me on skype (to see if I'm home and free), and I can walk you through and help answers any questions for a bit. I have a lot of stuff to do, so I would like to keep it within 30 mins though, I have a convention next weekend and I need to get classwork done in advance as, internet connections can be a bit iffy.
If you use the mini sheet, each different Spell Action is represented individually, so Heal Spells have CAST and HEAL.