PDA

View Full Version : I blame you all! But mostly Dakadin! ;)

Tiqon
September 5th, 2012, 19:58
Hi.

I didn't want to clutter Dakadins video thread with more posts about my RM vs PF considerations, so I made a new thread...

Dont know what Im talking about? Here let me guide you to that video thread.... just go and read it, Ill wait... no really, its ok..... go https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17264

You see, after all that, I couldn't stop thinking about it... so at dinner I just hinted that playing RM could be really cool. My wife said to me "Well I always liked Rolemaster best".

*Picture a fork halfway in my mouth slowly, theatrically falling in slowmotion from my hand, spinning all the way down to my lap, where it smothers my trousers and continuing down to the floor wher it finally lies still. My mouth open, in pure wonder"

Me: "You tried Rolemaster?"

Wife: "Sure. It was the first system (*muttering while eyerolling* of many) you introduced me to. I liked it best. Don't you remember hon? I mean sure its exacly 20 years ago tonight that we met, Its a lot of years and I even think that you waited like 14 days from the day we met until you tried to convice me you were a K'Ta'Viir. It was proberbly even longer until you asked me the ultimate question "Will you play some fantasy roleplaying with me". I know you have a REALLY bad memory hon, but I thought you had a sublime memory when it came to Roleplaying....

Me: "But, but, but....I totally forgot! so you would be ok with us changing the system to RM?".

Wife: "Sure. If the other guys are ok with it off course".

(I love my wife very much..)

*Grab phone. Dial.*

Me: "Yoooooooooooo! dude, you know how I always have told you that you have a brilliant mind and have that super aditude "Adapt and overcome" right?"

Friend1: "Sigh! Now what."

Me: *Sweettalk*

Friend1: "If my converted character sucks, Ill kill you in RL"

Me: "Sure, I can live with that or... anyway, cool thanks, have to go, talk to you later mate" (he totally could actually...well he wouldn't, hes gentle as a butterfly, but he could break me in half if he wanted ;)).

*dials again*

Me: "Hey old friend whom I played Rolemaster with in the 80'ies. So you wanna have a go at RM in FG".

Friends2: "Sure".

Mission completed.

Now to get the module and convert the adventurepath and characters to RM...

Pheeeew! So you guys have any good ideas for program and other kind of help in that regard? I think what we made so long ago with our very advanced houserules might not be compatible with FG2....Or do I have to make it all manually... I actually would like that hmmm but the sheer amount of work to be done makes me tired allready!

JohnD
September 6th, 2012, 03:11
First; just wanted to say that you are amazingly lucky to have such a cool wife.

Second; I've done a bit of conversion from D&D to RM in the past.

I'd say don't look for an exact translation because you probably won't find it, easily at least. Look to capture the essence of what you're converting - just doing the conversion will lend everything the RM "feel".

Don't worry if you loose some NPC abilities when a Wiz/Rog 8/4 becomes a Magician 10 (or something else entirely... perhaps a Rogue with Essence spell capabilities). In the end, your new environment will mesh together in the RM way - some things will be different, just a matter of adjustment.

For PCs, look to guide your players on how to get more or less what they have in D&D duplicated in RM... this certainly will include pointing out skill selection, but might also include suggesting what class to take.

Dakadin
September 6th, 2012, 04:35
LOL! I'll take credit for my part. :p

Welcome aboard! :D

Tiqon
September 6th, 2012, 07:58
@Dakadin: You can have the credit ;) you deserve it! but all these wonderful people who haunt the forum is to blame too ;)

@JohnD: You are one of those mentioned above ;). Thanks for the advice. I also have done my share of conversion from D&D to RM over the years and I do/did just like you advised. I think I have like 60 issues of Dungeon magazine in the basement, and have used them a lot in my time as GM in RM (since the 80'ies). So this is not new to me. Maybe I should have been more specific in my question, but I was torn between wanting to tell you about this amazing event and getting to try the module! :D.

What I meant to ask was: what tools do you use in managing the game and creating the characters BESIDE FG2. Some kind of tool for character creation would be a boon as I'm VERY rusty on making characters, especially because we used our own house rules for many years.

BUT LO AND BEHOLD! I found that FG2 RM helps me already with character creation! I frankly had no idea before!

But still... do you use any others tools?

Dakadin
September 8th, 2012, 02:25
When running my games, I use PDF, Windows Calculator, a set of images/maps and a web browser besides FG.

The PDFs have setting and rule information for when I need to look up something quickly or to save me prep time.

Windows calculator is useful for figuring out pace and activity percentage during combat. The next version of the RMC ruleset will handle this better within FG.

The images and maps are graphics that aren't in my campaign or modules that I might need to add quickly when things happen that I wasn't expecting. It is great being able to copy an image into the images folder and start using it immediately. I've been able to ad lib situations without my players realizing it at times because of this feature of FG.

The web browser is rare but does allow me to look up things on the fly that I wasn't expecting. One time I forgot to bring a book with me that I was going to need for my game. I purchased and downloaded a copy from ICE and was able to keep my game running smoothly.

Ardem
September 8th, 2012, 02:50
I will not take any blame, as of course your using RMC and not RMFRP. <smile>

Also when they die in the first game by 'lucky' or 'unlucky rolls' and cry to you again not my fault. In this case implement a fate point system '3 fate points' which take this can use instead of taking a critical.

Not my fault even if you decide to use the Goblin Module and people die, by accidently falling off a roof they climbed onto get shot with an arrow and take a D critical.

And in noway has any my posts encouraged the use of Rolemaster Classic. <well I didn't want to lie>

Tiqon
September 8th, 2012, 07:35
Thanks Dakadin for the advice :). Running a couple of sessions in PF I did almost like that too :).

@Ardem: Hehehe, you know, the fact that ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE really fast is one of the points I was carefull to explain to the guy who have never heard of RM... I have seen it all to often to ignore :D. So many fun memories from that actually.. and I understand from your post someone had a "fun" memory too ;).

One short story from the days of old. 2 players. One Elementalist and one ranger, both low lvl. They were poor, so they decided to rob some people in the park of the big city they were in. A nice looking man comes along. I carefully decribe his rich looking clothes and the fact you can see he's wearing a chain shirt under his clothes. Now they did not want to hurt anyone, just wanted to scare them to give them money, lacking a real weapon the elementalist borrowed the rangers bow. The ranger would wave his Boradsword...

Stepping out of the bushes on either side of the man, the man just looked at the elementalist and said "Shoot your friend". They had decided to rob a high level mentalist..... Elementalist failed his RR. They players were not worried, the elementalist have no skill in Missile...so he rolled his dice and.... Openeded, twice! The ranger was down for the count (not dead though). The Mentalist just walked away.
Now the Elementalist dragged his friends to a healer and sweettalked her into fixing the Ranger. The ranger had just woken still on the table where the healer was working on him, his friend, the elementalist, by his side, when they heard the frontdoor opened and a voice said "Honey Im home! Guess what happened, I was mugged by two idiots in the park".......

I have never seen my players look at me like that before ;).

I handled it so the the ranger was healed and the mentalist send them on an asignment, no payment. That was an interesting way to send them on an adventure I think :).

dr_venture
September 8th, 2012, 08:55
Ah, Rolemaster... such fond memories. A very long story made short: a main Dwarven character, moderate level, is face to face with a medium sized dragon west of Mirkwood. He's tough, but he's not nearly *that* tough. Can't remember the circumstances, but remember thinking, "He's dead, unless he can sweet talk his way out of this somehow." The two talk briefly before the dragon says something haughty, which they do, of course. The Dwarf makes a short dramatic speech and suddenly *throws* his magic short sword (attacks as a 2-handed sword) at the dragon. (!?!) "Holy mackerel, he's *really* dead!" think I. Then, before my very eyes, the guy open ends 4 times, rolls a great crit roll, and slays it in 1 shot, all totally legit. (!?!?!?!)

That's Rolemaster to me :D

Willot
September 9th, 2012, 00:49
the guy open ends 4 times, rolls a great crit roll, and slays it in 1 shot, all totally legit.

That...ROCKS!