PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of Esteren

daddystabz
September 3rd, 2012, 07:36
I saw on the official website for Shadows of Esteren that there is an officially sanctioned SoE rule set for FG but it is in French. Would anyone out there be up for translating it to English for those of us English speaking fans that want to play on here? I would gladly pay someone to.

Any interest?

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2012, 19:12
I have too much on my plate already, but replacing French text should be a simple replace operation using a good text editor. All of the code should be untouched.

Just search for the word in the interface that you want to replace, find translation on Google, search in the files for all instances of the word (i.e. I use Notepad++) and replace.

After a few iterations of this, you would have a mostly English version.

Regards,
JPG

daddystabz
September 5th, 2012, 11:59
The only issue is that A) I do not have the French ruleset for FG and have no clue where to get it and B) even if I did have it I have no idea what files to access/how to view them so I could edit the French.

rule of three
September 5th, 2012, 22:42
I will talk to the creator of the ruleset. If he's not to busy, I'm sure he can help you.

daddystabz
September 6th, 2012, 01:38
Thanks!! I appreciate your assistance.

I will talk to the creator of the ruleset. If he's not to busy, I'm sure he can help you.

heedio
September 6th, 2012, 18:11
Hi,
The translation is in progress. It was asked by the creators of the game.

vyruxx
February 15th, 2014, 22:06
at end is possible download in english?

Blacky
February 18th, 2014, 02:02
Hi,
The translation is in progress. It was asked by the creators of the game.
To specify, Heedio is the author of said ruleset :)

vyruxx
February 18th, 2014, 11:07
but ruleset is in french and dont work correctly in fg3

cscase
February 28th, 2014, 22:53
I, too, would be interested in any news about the status of the Esteren ruleset. I was able to find the French version on the website, and it does load in FG3 and looks like a beautifully done ruleset. But it's obviously written for FG2 and throws errors when you try to use certain parts of the interface in FG3. Does the author have plans to update it for FG3?

Blacky
February 28th, 2014, 23:41
Since the publisher has asked for an English version, I'm guessing there some update (either from the ruleset or from FG) as to compatibility along with it. But only heedio can state that for sure.

cscase
March 1st, 2014, 00:20
Cool, well I guess we can just be patient and keep an eye out for any further news. I just asked though because that last post from Heedio is dated Sept. 2012, so I wondered if the ruleset was still being actively worked on at all, and thought someone might've heard something more recent from the game's French community concerning updates to the ruleset for FG3.

Blacky
March 1st, 2014, 00:52
Totally missed that date! My bad!

So no, I don't know at all. I can ask him.

Columbcille
May 7th, 2017, 18:59
there is english in the file, but i dont know how to pull it up... id like run a game with this i have alll the PDF books but i dont know to to edit or make it english!

Trenloe
May 7th, 2017, 20:08
there is english in the file, but i dont know how to pull it up...
First, get the ruleset working in French.

Then, edit scripts\langue.lua in the ruleset, comment out the line local langue = "french"; and enable the line local langue = "english"; at the top of the file.

Columbcille
May 7th, 2017, 21:17
YAY!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Is there any way to get the fonts any larger?

Trenloe
May 7th, 2017, 22:35
Is there any way to get the fonts any larger?
It's not simple to change the font size - as the fonts are fixed size and also a lot of the interface will be designed with a specific size in mind - changing it can mess up the interface.

A simple solution is to use the /scalueui <percent scale> chat command to scale the whole interface. Try something like /scaleui 125 to scale the whole UI 125%.

If you want to change a specific font, then you'll need to find where it's used in the code, and change the <font> definition - info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/font.xcp The fonts are defined in the ruleset in bmpfonts.xml.

Columbcille
May 7th, 2017, 22:48
That would actually be perfect! Everything seems a bit small for me! I'll try that thanks!

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 00:28
I'll try that thanks!
No worries.

And a belated welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the FG forums! :)

Brotherkelly
March 18th, 2020, 15:24
there is english in the file, but i dont know how to pull it up... id like run a game with this i have alll the PDF books but i dont know to to edit or make it english!

Hi Columbcille, I know this is from a few years ago but your message indicates you have a copy of the ruleset for SoE (in French). Can you tell me where you got it from so I can have a look at it. I am a huge fan of Shadows of Esteren and would love to run this online with my group.

Columbcille
March 20th, 2020, 14:37
Hi Columbcille, I know this is from a few years ago but your message indicates you have a copy of the ruleset for SoE (in French). Can you tell me where you got it from so I can have a look at it. I am a huge fan of Shadows of Esteren and would love to run this online with my group.

No my rules are in English, I got during the Kickstarter

Brotherkelly
March 21st, 2020, 09:48
I saw on the official website for Shadows of Esteren that there is an officially sanctioned SoE rule set for FG but it is in French. Would anyone out there be up for translating it to English for those of us English speaking fans that want to play on here? I would gladly pay someone to.

Any interest?

Columbcille,, I think you may have missed the point of my previous post. I was referring to the rule set for FG, not the actual SoE books (I have these as well). So does anyone have a copy of the 'officially sacnctioned rule set' mentioned in the first post of this thread? Are they willing to share or let me know where to obtain a copy from?

Thanks.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2020, 10:14
It's from quite a few years ago, but try here: https://www.esteren.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=377

I'm having issues downloading the file - it doesn't appear to be a valid ZIP file when I try to open it.

This is a copy I have from a few years ago: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwwpzr1uoodkhdv/esteren_rulsetfg2_officiel.zip?dl=0 I've made the language change mentioned in post #15 (to English).

This ZIP file contains the ruleset, a Univers module and some portraits. Unzip the "Les ombres d'Esteren" directory to your <FG App data>\rulesets directory, the modules\OdE-Univers.mod file to the <FG App data>\modules directory and the portrait files to the <FG App data>\portraits directory.

Note that this is from Fantasy Grounds 2 - so a lot of things you're used to in FG CoreRPG based rulesets won't be here. Right-click is your friend!

Brotherkelly
March 21st, 2020, 12:05
Trenloe, many thanks for this. I will check it all out and see what works.

Brotherkelly
March 21st, 2020, 17:26
Initial check seems okay. The module is visible but cannot get it to load. Not a problem at the moment, I could always copy the data into the db.xml if necessary.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2020, 18:23
The module is visible but cannot get it to load.
In the "Book Activation" screen (the grey books icon in the top right of the sidebar) click-and-drag to the left on the book icon to open the book icon, or double-click on the thumbnail.

Oh, and another gotcha, right-click and select close on the nice splash screen (or move it out of the way) - otherwise you'll never see the chat window!

Brotherkelly
March 22nd, 2020, 00:05
In the "Book Activation" screen (the grey books icon in the top right of the sidebar) click-and-drag to the left on the book icon to open the book icon, or double-click on the thumbnail.

Oh, and another gotcha, right-click and select close on the nice splash screen (or move it out of the way) - otherwise you'll never see the chat window!

Thanks, all working now.

Will do some more testing of it during the week.

Brotherkelly
March 29th, 2020, 14:49
Hi, I have done a bit of testing and would like to know how the targeting works in this version. Usually you can do Control and left mouse click on a target to select it. However, in this version that does not work. Any thoughts?

As it is for FG 2 I may have to look at the FG 3 code for this process and import it in.

Columbcille
May 23rd, 2020, 12:36
sorry! i diditn know what you meant hahaha, im glad trenloe helped, i didnt even look at the thread haha

Columbcille
May 23rd, 2020, 12:39
Let me know hoe it goes! i also have FG Unity... i wish this was a supported ruleset already! lol

looks like for FGUnity the ruleset is broke

"[5/23/2020 7:47:12 AM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-05-20)
[5/23/2020 7:47:12 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[5/23/2020 7:47:12 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Ruleset Info Load (Les ombres d'Esteren): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 2, position 3."

every file has "_" LOL

Brotherkelly
May 27th, 2020, 18:17
Let me know hoe it goes! i also have FG Unity... i wish this was a supported ruleset already! lol

It is going to take a lot more work to get this extension working properly in FG3. Unfortunately it has taken a back seat at the moment as I am still working on another extension - BattleTech: A Time of War.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21178-BATTLETECH-A-Time-of-War-(FASA-Mechwarrior-RPG-Redux)

When I get a chance I will post an update for Esteren.