PDA

View Full Version : How to Convert PDF to FG

Djmaxx
September 3rd, 2012, 00:05
Hi guys i was wanting to know how to convert my pdf's that i have to work with FG system.

Zeus
September 3rd, 2012, 00:33
Assuming the PDF is OCR reference-able. Simply open the PDF, select the text you want and then copy. In FGII, open the entry you want the data to be copied into and paste it. For entry types which support formatting of text, you can then optionally format your text as per the PDF e.g. titles, paragraph text, lists, italicised or bolded text. For images, export the images you require from the PDF and then place the image files in the FGII campaign images folder.

Once you have compiled all your data you can then use the /export command in FGII to export the data into a module (for campaign portability).

Which ruleset are you using?

Djmaxx
September 3rd, 2012, 00:39
Im actually trying to convert a game i made to work in FGII. I was wondering how to convert it into its own ruleset so that i can use it in FGII.

I'm completely new to makeing rulesets and the sort and i could really use the help

JohnD
September 4th, 2012, 01:27
What you said in your second post is a heck of a lot different than what you said in your first.

Valarian
September 4th, 2012, 08:15
Library modules are a lot more involved than creating Adventure modules. You have to modify the XML file directly to get the text in to the correct format for display. The needs some familiarity with how XML or HTML works in terms of the tags that denote sections and formatting.

Building a ruleset, the code that specifies how the character sheet, npc sheet, combat tracker, etc. will look, is even more involved. It requires XML and Lua (script) code to be written.

Djmaxx
September 4th, 2012, 16:05
Library modules are a lot more involved than creating Adventure modules. You have to modify the XML file directly to get the text in to the correct format for display. The needs some familiarity with how XML or HTML works in terms of the tags that denote sections and formatting.

Building a ruleset, the code that specifies how the character sheet, npc sheet, combat tracker, etc. will look, is even more involved. It requires XML and Lua (script) code to be written.

Well is there some were i can look to try to get this started cause if i can do it i would be willing to post it so everyone could get it and try it.
Is there any programs that i will need to have? I have a little coding experience using C++ VS2008/2010. I havent tried XML or Lua but im willing to give it a go.

Valarian
September 4th, 2012, 18:01
I use JEdit, a text editor with highlighting for XML and Lua. Delving in to the existing rulesets is useful to learn how stuff works, as is the Anatomy of a ruleset series on the fGWiki. The library has ruleset reference material as well. The Lua reference on the web helps with syntax.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2012, 18:47
Generally, I suggest to people looking to build a ruleset to start with an existing ruleset that is close to the system they want (d20, etc.). Then, start making minor changes to get your hands dirty, and learn the way the code works.

Regards,
JPG

Djmaxx
September 5th, 2012, 08:30
Thanks guys ill try that first and maybe here soon i can shear it with everyone

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 14:45
What's up a post from five years ago. Does anyone have a good method of combatting the ligature problem when copying text from a PDF. i.e., words with combos like "fi" "fl" "ff" etc. being JACKED!

fighter becomes ighter

Anyone know a good PDF program that eliminates this?

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 15:35
Anyone know a good PDF program that eliminates this?
Open the PDF in Microsoft Edge Web Browser and copy from there - this eliminates the "f l" etc. issues I've seen. It also usually gives you a paragraph all in one - i.e. what you selected comes as a single paragraph, no need to join lines together.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2017, 15:43
Open the PDF in Microsoft Edge Web Browser and copy from there - this eliminates the "f l" etc. issues I've seen. It also usually gives you a paragraph all in one - i.e. what you selected comes as a single paragraph, no need to join lines together.
Good news! Thanks for the insight :)

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 21:48

I still get ligatures albeit differently. Instead of "The" becoming " e" it now becomes "Th e". Instead of the letters "fl" "fi" etc. disappearing, they now show up but are still separated from words. "flat" becomes "fl at" etc. So it makes the problem a LITTLE better, but it doesn't solve it.

Any other ideas?

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2017, 21:59
In my experience there are variations in the quality of pdf's and I've never found a perfect solution to any such problems. Once you are aware of it you can wait until you finish and then do a search replace for any problem text like the thing you mention with fi

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 22:03
Try converting the PDF to word and see if that works better for you. I've used Nuance Power PDF Standard for converting the Pathfinder Bestiary PDFs, but it costs $100. It works pretty well for me in the Paizo PDFs. If you're willing to splash the cash to find a solution maybe try the trial version...

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:03
In my experience there are variations in the quality of pdf's and I've never found a perfect solution to any such problems. Once you are aware of it you can wait until you finish and then do a search replace for any problem text like the thing you mention with fi

I am converting from a(nother's) PDF so I can't search and replace until after I copy the text. I use Notepad++ macros to accomplish fixes, but it's a pain in the ***. Copy text, paste text, run macros, copy text, paste text. It's crazy, but it's what I do.

Just look ing to know if anyone's found a solution. See what I did there? Look ing.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2017, 22:10
I wasn't suggesting you replace text in the PDF. I mean once you have all the text into notepad. Then do a search replace. I do this all the time to find and replace the millions of extra hyphens that I get amongst other things.

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:12
I wasn't suggesting you replace text in the PDF. I mean once you have all the text into notepad. Then do a search replace. I do this all the time to find and replace the millions of extra hyphens that I get amongst other things.

YEah but I'm trying to find a soluton where I can copy DIRECTLY from the PDF into Fantasy Grounds without having to edit.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2017, 22:14
YEah but I'm trying to find a soluton where I can copy DIRECTLY from the PDF into Fantasy Grounds without having to edit.

Never going to happen ��

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:15
Never going to happen ��

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! !

LMAO

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 22:19
Or, check post #15...

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:21
Try converting the PDF to word and see if that works better for you. I've used Nuance Power PDF Standard for converting the Pathfinder Bestiary PDFs, but it costs $100. It works pretty well for me in the Paizo PDFs. If you're willing to splash the cash to find a solution maybe try the trial version...

It's only 90.00 now, checking the trial, I don't have Word, but i'll try the same principle with Google Docs.

Maasq
August 8th, 2017, 22:37
Rob, NPC Engineer deals with the three most common ligatures and a swathe of other common errors if (a) you can be bothered copy-pasting into it and (b) if it is an NPC you're dealing with.
Ligatures were a PITA to sort out but I nailed them eventually.

Maasq

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:41
Rob, NPC Engineer deals with the three most common ligatures and a swathe of other common errors if (a) you can be bothered copy-pasting into it and (b) if it is an NPC you're dealing with.
Ligatures were a PITA to sort out but I nailed them eventually.

Maasq

NPC Engineer what is this sorcery?

Maasq
August 8th, 2017, 22:49
Link in my sig - I've been developing it quietly (OK, noisily) over the past couple of months. Its goal is to take all the info from a statblock, recognise/tag/format it, then have it ready for par5e or KP9911's parser.
I found a significant issue with it though - clicking 'new NPC' doesn't clear all fields on the extended tabs (first tab is fine) so just tread carefully with the 2nd and subsequent NPCs until I get my fix done.

It's a 'rebuild the GUI from the ground up using different code' type of issue, unfortunately, and is taking longer than I hoped. I am free of kids for the whole day tomorrow though, and I plan to fill those hours with the joy of bug-hunting :)

Certainly you could look at the current version and see if its witchcraft suits your needs. I've attached a manual to the zip file, and I *think* it's decent. Hard to tell when you are so close to a project :)

Happy to hear suggestions and requests too :)

Maasq

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 22:56
It's only 90.00 now, checking the trial, I don't have Word, but i'll try the same principle with Google Docs.
And, I've found that using the direct convert sometimes has issues. Open your PDF then use File -> Save As and select the output format. I use Word .docx, but I'd recommend experimenting with options to see what works for you and the applications you use.

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 22:58
And, I've found that using the direct convert sometimes has issues. Open your PDF then use File -> Save As and select the output format. I use Word .docx, but I'd recommend experimenting with options to see what works for you and the applications you use.

I am saving to word now to see what i get

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 23:00
I am saving to word now to see what i get
If it's a large file it can take a while. And can spend a lot of time on 99% - as this is where it compiles the output file. You can check on the output file to see it slowly growing, so you know something's happening even though it may look like it's stuck at 99%.

rob2e
August 8th, 2017, 23:01
If it's a large file it can take a while. And can spend a lot of time on 99% - as this is where it compiles the output file. You can check on the output file to see it slowly growing, so you know something's happening even though it may look like it's stuck at 99%.

I'm using adobe acrobat to export it and it's lockinh up sometimes.

Patience!

Varsuuk
August 11th, 2017, 03:44
I still get ligatures albeit differently. Instead of "The" becoming " e" it now becomes "Th e". Instead of the letters "fl" "fi" etc. disappearing, they now show up but are still separated from words. "flat" becomes "fl at" etc. So it makes the problem a LITTLE better, but it doesn't solve it.

Any other ideas?

Haven't been on forums much - work/family/vacations taking all my time except Wed nights ;) (/wave Myrddin) - but while this is likely not much help - wanted to toss out that when I was tr4ying to copy/paste from pdfs on macbook ctrlc/v issues a plenty then some folks explained a nice app that basically runs and stays on taskbar, fixes the pasting AND side-effect pastes paras together and seems to also improve funky splits I used to see.

Since it probably is of no use unless also can work on Mac (I used to do both, preferring Win because of notepad++, now kinda feel mac easier for ONCE) won't go fire it up to check b/c just got home and sleepy. Can if anyone can use and no one answered by tomorrow.