PDA

View Full Version : Mohican's Suggestions List

Mohican
September 2nd, 2012, 11:00
To FGII's devs,
I will start compiling here a list of things that would improve game experience for our group of players.

Bugs:
- Combat Tracker: FGII crashes if next turn is pressed when there are no units in the tracker.

Small Improvements:
- Tokens Panel: Add search by name button and scrollbar on the right (these would help when there are hundreds of tokens in a bag).
- Library: Allow DMs to link tokens with Monster entries in the Library books (to save time when generating random encounters, currently the DM must drag the monster onto the Combat Tracker, and then drag a Token as well).

Big Improvements:
- Mapping: Add ability to quickly generate dungeons and outdoor maps from "Tile sets". FGII would let you import "Tile Sets" and define the tile size for each set (for instance 3x3 or 4x4 grid spaces), then let you drag and drop from the tile library onto an empty grid. The software should automatically adjust the pixel size of the textures to the current size of the grid.

We will come up with more suggestions, but thanks in advance for considering these.

Zeus
September 2nd, 2012, 11:15
Which ruleset are you using?

I ask as some of the suggestions you have made (including resizable and moveable grids, Library NPC linked tokens and Layered/Tiled Maps) are already implemented and available with some rulesets including D&D 4E, 3.5E and Pathfinder coupled with community extensions like my 4E Enhanced Images extension (enables tiled based maps).

Also the official wish/feature request list is managed here (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com). Take a look, you can vote for existing requests or add new requests.

Mohican
September 3rd, 2012, 12:17
Hi DrZeus!

Thanks for your help, I have now found the icon to resize and move the grid!
I also made some small changes to your Enhanced Images extension to make it run with 3.5e/PFRPG (attached).

I am impressed with your contributions to 4e, tis a shame that we play only PFRPG...

Mohican
September 3rd, 2012, 12:19
Library NPC linked tokens are already implemented and available

I can't figure out how this works???

Zeus
September 3rd, 2012, 14:11
I can't figure out how this works???

In 4E/3.5E or Pathfinder

1. Create an NPC
2. Assign a Token
3. Create a new Encounter
4. Add the NPC to the Encounter and adjust the quantity (note the additional tokens for the NPC instances that get created)
5. Open a Map
6. Enable and set your grid
7. Drag the NPC token instances (from step 4) to the map (note how the token instances
change to a tick icon - this indicates the position on the map has been recorded.
8. Close the Encounter - all tokens from the image should disappear
9. Now add the encounter to the Combat Tracker - note how the tokens will automatically be added to the map image in their respective positions.

Done.

Optionally: You can use /export to export the NPCs, Tokens and Encounters to a module to enable portability between campaigns.

Mohican
September 3rd, 2012, 15:30
Ah, well I already knew you could do that.

What I wanna do is different: bestiary entries shown a ? token placeholder.
But it is not possible to drag a token into it.

If it could be done, I could drag NPCs directly from the bestiary into the combat tracker, and then drag the Token onto the Map: That's 2 steps instead of 9!!!

Zeus
September 4th, 2012, 07:05
Ah, well I already knew you could do that.

What I wanna do is different: bestiary entries shown a ? token placeholder.
But it is not possible to drag a token into it.

If it could be done, I could drag NPCs directly from the bestiary into the combat tracker, and then drag the Token onto the Map: That's 2 steps instead of 9!!!

Modules are read only (hence why you cannot drag a token to the entries directly). You would need to re-compile your Bestiary Module to include the Tokens OR drag the Bestiary entries you require to the Campaign Personalities list (right side of desktop). Once copied to the campaign Personalities list, you should then be able to add your tokens as required.

Mohican
September 4th, 2012, 08:35
Ok, I understand the problem.

Regarding your Enhanced Images extension, it is really sweet for making Tiled maps.

There is one problem however: After setting the initial grid, it is not possible to pan the map any further than the space occupied by the image at the time of setting the grid.
It would nice if an option was available to extend the map beyond that original area (and then zoom in/out to place the tiles).

Zeus
September 4th, 2012, 19:26
Ok, I understand the problem.

Regarding your Enhanced Images extension, it is really sweet for making Tiled maps.

There is one problem however: After setting the initial grid, it is not possible to pan the map any further than the space occupied by the image at the time of setting the grid.
It would nice if an option was available to extend the map beyond that original area (and then zoom in/out to place the tiles).

Hmmm, for enhanced images there are two scenarios to consider;

i) Using a JPG/PNG image from the campaign images list as the base or bottom layer - in this scenario the drawing size of the middle and top layers are fixed to that that of the dimensions of the base image
ii) Using an empty drawing as the base or bottom layer - in this scenario the drawing size (of the canvas) of the middle and top layers are again scaled to the dimensions of the base drawing; however to increase the canvas you simply increase the drawing size (using the radial menu controls) of the base or bottom layer - the extension takes care of re-syncing the other layers

I am not aware of a way to resize the middle and top layers when the base layer is a proper image; this as canvas re-sizing can only be applied when the base image is a drawing and not a JPG or PNG image. Therefore to do what your asking would require a change (I believe) to the way FGII handles JPG/PNG based images. I hope that makes sense.