PDA

View Full Version : Need Help export/importing local characters

Ramid
September 1st, 2012, 19:28
Long story short.

The server running our FG game crashed taking out a couple of disks with it and corrupting all data to badly that a rescue recovery was impossible.

my players can see their characters in the manage character section of their clients but
once they log into the new server they cannot import them

we are playing shadowrun using the most recent ruleset for the system. My question is how to export / import them into the new game.

We have checked to see if there is a way to import the new characters from the manage character tool but cannot find any button to do so any ideas ?

Griogre
September 1st, 2012, 21:03
They are seeing their old character data from the dat file on their computers. It will stay there as long as you don't start a new campaign with the same name. In the Shadowrun runset, I don't believe there is a way to import and export characters.

Here's what I would suggest, first start a new campaign with a *different* name than the old campaign and have them log into the new game. Then have the players start a second instance of FG and go into Manage Characters and bring up their characters and use them as reference to re-enter their characters into the new campaign. Since they have the old character right in front of them, they should be able re-enter it it in 5-6 minutes.

Ramid
September 1st, 2012, 22:31
ok bugger. Is there no way to extract them from the dat files ?

Griogre
September 2nd, 2012, 03:45
No, they are encrypted.