PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Actual Play via YouTube

Crossfireue
August 29th, 2012, 15:43
By using a combination of Fantasy Grounds and Google Hangouts, my Pathfinder group broadcast our game live to Google+ last night, which also recorded the game to YouTube. I've made our game available here;

https://youtu.be/XntIfIjqk9k

This is the second session of Conquest of the Bloodsworn Vale. We're supplementing our regular gaming with some online gaming, and it worked out rather well. Have a look!

wbcreighton
August 29th, 2012, 20:27
That's very interesting. Always interested to learn about the capabilities of technology. Too bad the resolution is a little on the low side.

My group is most likely going to be starting the Bloodsworn Vale soon. I'd be interested on hearing your take on the module. The party is close to finishing The Isle of Golden Death, then on to Bloodsworn Vale then perhaps moving to Korvosa and partaking of some of the Curse of the Crimson Throne AP.

Crossfireue
August 29th, 2012, 21:27
The interface is small in the video window because I have screenshared my FG2 window and have it stretched across two monitors. Perhaps next time I do this I'll only have it on one monitor in order to make it look larger in the video.

I've only played 2 sessions of CotBV, and it's going well. It's pretty sandbox in the regard that while there are events that will happen, the PCs can go about their business however they want in the time they have (60 days game time). After the initial outing requested of them, they are presented with multiple options and no particular order in which to take them on.

I find the encounters a little on the light side so far, but I also have a group of players who are operating 1 level above what is called for, and who, since level 1, been spending a lot of time thinking about their character builds. Hint - a sorcerer who has maximized as a conjurer can wreak all kinds of havoc on that encounter you thought was going to terrify them.

JohnD
August 31st, 2012, 18:18
This is good, although the suggestions you've received thus far would make it even better.

One thing I'd like to see is a video that just focuses on the game play (and this is a general observation not necessarily directed towards your video) - none of the pre-session talk about "how do I do this", re-sizing issues etc.... Just a video which shows straight game play as 90% of what's shown.

The reason I bring this forward is; I've linked a number of the videos available to a few solid players I've tried to attract to FG and the response has been negative due to the perceived "extra garbage - everyone stumbling around trying to configure their speakers, microphones, re-sizing maps, fiddling with colours, talking about outside issues, technical challenges, re-starting and re-joining, etc...". This comes across as a big negative, although everyone instinctively understands that the first (few) times you use a new program there are going to be challenges.

Therefore I'd like to see an hour video which cuts all that out and just shows what your 'in-game' experience is like.

wbcreighton
August 31st, 2012, 18:27
You mean he has to edit it ? *shudders* :D

Crossfireue
September 3rd, 2012, 15:56
I probably hit the "start broadcast" too soon. Editing directly in YouTube is a pain. Its a fair point, not wanting to listen to all that setup garbage. I'll remember that for next time!

Crossfireue
September 7th, 2012, 14:29
Our next session is live, and available here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A4Iojvy-2o

I didn't start the broadcast until we started playing, so all the manky set-up foolishness has been left out. There is some stumbling around with a new player who's never played in FG before, but for the most part it went very well.