PDA

View Full Version : NPC Chat

pjrake
August 27th, 2012, 17:51
Is there a way you can show when an NPC speaks (and rolls) and his icon shows on the game chat log? I like how it shows the Players (and GM icons), but I can't seem to get the NPCs I created (and added the token image to their character sheet) to show up on the game chat.

Sorry, I'm new to this. Thanks!

PJ

Tiqon
August 27th, 2012, 18:04
Have you read this?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_identitymanage.xcp

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 18:10
The portrait token will only show the GM token for NPCs. There's nothing that will dynamically change the portrait.

pauljmendoza
January 14th, 2013, 09:56
Is there any way to enable clicking on the bottom left GM Identity tab?

Tiqon
January 14th, 2013, 10:25
I have no problems clicking on the buttons that show up when you eg open an npc and click his speech-bubble. I do remember having some problems clicking then earlier though, like they were a bit off.

Edited: Just realized that you proberbly meant the left most one only. I can click that one too...

pauljmendoza
January 14th, 2013, 17:12
Edited: Just realized that you proberbly meant the left most one only. I can click that one too...[/QUOTE]

Precisely, the leftmost tab (GM) is unclickable for me...

dr_venture
January 14th, 2013, 17:51
FWIW, I got tired of seeing the GM's icon on all of the NPC's speech entries. The unique icons make reading through the log much clearer to me, so I didn't like the NPCs icon being the same as the GM. So I may not be much of a programmer, but I figured out how to update the C&C ruleset to at least show a generic "other person" silhouette when an NPC is speaking - see attached image. Dunno why more rulesets don't do this.

Griogre
January 14th, 2013, 18:29
Its because you are *the man,* dr_venture. :) A more serious response is I don't use icons in chat so what the GM/CK icon is doesn't matter to me. I don't use chat icons because they take up too much vertical space and honestly I almost never used the GM id since if I need to say something as a GM I just say it over VoIP.

I do type out NPC conversations in chat and because a generic icon for NPCs is never going to vary I felt a generic icon broke immersion more than it helped but clearly YMWV.

Tiqon
January 14th, 2013, 18:44
I have tried this is Rolemaster and 3.5 ruleset now and have no problem clicking the GM tab after selecting a npc tab. Sorry I have no idea why its not working for you pauljmendoza. What ruleset? and what version do you run?

Griogre
January 14th, 2013, 18:47
I found that the 4E, 3.5 and SW rulesets I tested worked. The old DA version of C&C I have and the Generic Ruleset do not work so it would appear to be something that only effects some rulesets.

Dakadin
January 15th, 2013, 03:39
Actually I had to fix that in the Rolemaster ruleset. It was caused because the modifier panel was overlapping the identity list panel. If you let me know what ruleset it is for I will make an extension to fix it for you.

pauljmendoza
January 15th, 2013, 06:30
I went through all of my rulesets, from Rolemaster to Pathfinder, to NWOD (which was being played this week) and it is the same, can the overall location of the modifier panel be changed?

Dakadin
January 15th, 2013, 08:08
I couldn't recreate it in Pathfinder but I find a work around that you can use in the meantime for Rolemaster and nWOD. You just need to click the GM identity on the left side of it where it extends out past the modifier box.

It is fixed in Rolemaster Classic v1.4 which should be released once Doug can get the updater working again.

pauljmendoza
January 15th, 2013, 09:08
Thank you so much! It seems to work for all of them. I feel silly. Well more than usual. :)

Tiqon
January 15th, 2013, 09:25
Good to know you found a solution :). I was beginning to wonder if it was an extension that made fun of you.. I do remember I had some similar problems earlier (having to click a bit off what I thought I should), but I think I pushed that in the back of my mind as I was learning at the time, and figured I was doing something wrong, like so many other things ;). Who said silly is bad by the way. EMBRACE YOUR SILLINESS! and join the club :P.

Dakadin
January 15th, 2013, 19:08
Thank you so much! It seems to work for all of them. I feel silly. Well more than usual. :)

It's a bug so there's no reason to feel silly. ;)