PDA

View Full Version : New Rulesets

Arion
August 27th, 2012, 11:33
I have been pondering this a lot recently, as most of my gaming now takes place over FG.

I have a load of games i would love to play over FG, but the lack of rulesets puts me off starting an new game. I don't even really need automation, just a character sheet. That at least would replicate the tabletop experience.

So i was thinking that what Smiteworks really needs to develop is a WYSIWYG character sheet creator. I would quite happily pay hard cash for that if it let me add stat boxes, text, etc. That way i could play Maelstrom, Harnmaster, ASoIF, Pendragon, Dying Earth and loads more.

It would obviously bring in extra cash for SW, and would also encourage many more users who want to play their favourite game but are put off by the lack of ruleset and lack of coding skills.

To those who know about this sort of thing, how hard would it be to create this sort of application?

EDIT: A bit of searching shows that there are xml editors out there. Would their output be compatible with FG?

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 12:02
It's been mooted as a Kickstarter idea. A WYSIWYG character/NPC sheet builder would be a great benefit to the community and, I agree, would open up a world of possibilities in the games run.

I'd hope for a complete developer tool (IDE) that would allow the developers to also make use of the functionality in developing rulesets. It would need a solid, supported by Smiteworks, base ruleset to start from. It would need XML generation based on the objects dragged on to the sheet from the toolbar, with the ability to add in Lua scripting as event trigger code or separate files that can be referenced. It could be done as a plugin to an existing IDE such as Eclipse.

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 12:04
You can edit XML in Notepad, it's just a text file. XML editors will add colour highlighting to the XML code, making it easier to read. They won't generate the XML for you or help you with the syntax, as there's no XSL file to work from.

Arion
August 27th, 2012, 12:28
It's been mooted as a Kickstarter idea. A WYSIWYG character/NPC sheet builder would be a great benefit to the community and, I agree, would open up a world of possibilities in the games run.

I'd hope for a complete developer tool (IDE) that would allow the developers to also make use of the functionality in developing rulesets. It would need a solid, supported by Smiteworks, base ruleset to start from. It would need XML generation based on the objects dragged on to the sheet from the toolbar, with the ability to add in Lua scripting as event trigger code or separate files that can be referenced. It could be done as a plugin to an existing IDE such as Eclipse.

I hadn't seen the kickstarter idea. I would certainly support that. What was the official Smiteworks response?

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 12:43
The official response a while ago was in favour of tackling that sort of thing first
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124245&postcount=45

The thread has gone on to discuss an iPad/Android version of FG2 though
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124245