PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Modules for PF

Mohican
August 27th, 2012, 10:05
Hey Guys,

I just bought a license of FGII, and plan to have a warm-up session with my players using Tales of Dinor and PF game rules.
But beyond that, I found that there are very few "ready-made" adventure modules for OGL/PF.

All I found was:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store: 12 fantasy adventures by Expedious Retreat, 1 fantasy campaign (BaneWarrens), 5 Kith'takaros adventures

https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs: a dozen converted scenario (don't include images/maps).

Are there more "ready-made" PF adventures/campaigns available for FGII?
In particular, I would love to see a commercial conversion of "Way of the Wicked"!!!

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 10:42
There won't be official ready-made Pathfinder adventures as Smiteworks don't have an agreement with Paizo to convert and sell them. The ones in the store are from 3rd party OGL adventure publishers.

You can create your own fairly easily if you have a PDF version of the adventure from Paizo. However, you can not legally distribute the material - it would be for your own use only. Even passing the prepared module (from export menu) to another of your group to GM would be against fair use. You can do it for your own games as the copyrighted material wouldn't leave your machine in a readable form - classing as personal use.

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 10:47
Create a new campaign for working - give it the name of the adventure

Create Story items for the text
Create NPC stat blocks for the NPCs
Create Item stat blocks for any special items
Cut & paste maps and images to the images folder (in the Application folder from the Start menu)

Do /export when done and follow the menu instructions to create a module file (.mod).
Copy the .mod file to the modules folder (in the Application folder from the Start menu)

When running the adventure, create your campaign as normal and open up the module by dragging the module book open. You should then see the exported story, NPCs, items and images.

Mohican
August 27th, 2012, 11:02
Create Story items for the text
Create NPC stat blocks for the NPCs
Create Item stat blocks for any special items
Cut & paste maps and images to the images folder (in the Application folder from the Start menu)

It sounds easy, but between work and family I am so tight for time...
Shame about the lack of agreement, let's hope they work something out.

Valarian
August 27th, 2012, 11:21
I know the problem of lack of time.

Blahness98
August 27th, 2012, 16:23
As long as you get the prep work done ahead of time, the rest is just data entry and doesn't take too long at all to do. The prep work is just the pain. Last PF module I converted took a few hours, most of it was prep work.

If you can find them, Xorne had some nice videos on how to make adventure modules. He takes you step by step through the process of creating the module.

Crossfireue
August 27th, 2012, 17:42
I'm currently running Conquest of the Bloodsworn Vale with my group. With a PDF of the adventure, you can screencap any visual using some kind of screen capture tool and then load those images into your campaign folder. With the various Bestiary modules available for PF, you can quickly build the necessary Encounters (with only a couple of custom entries for the new content published in the adventure).

There have been only a few things that I have had to enter manually because it was necessary (as mentioned above - custom creatures, traps or items). There is a wizard's keep that needs to be invaded at one point, and I built that entire section because I had the time, not because I had to. I also made sure I had token PNGs for all of the major encounters the players would have, but with the TokenTool application and a Google image search, that doesn't take long.

If you grab those Bestiary modules and activate them in your campaign, you can create most encounters on the fly. Add some generic tokens with letters or numbers, and you really don't even need tokens for specific creatures.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2012, 22:36
If you're interested in Pathfinder in particular, there are a few steps outlined here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17108

In particular, take a look at the creature parser - this will really help you getting custom NPCs from the scenario PDF into Fantasy Grounds.

Mohican
August 28th, 2012, 02:26
Thanks for the link, the creature parser sounds like a real time saver.