PDA

View Full Version : Any better how to guides?

Pontificus
August 25th, 2012, 20:00
Hello!

I just got the software, installed it properly (I'm using wine bottler) and am very eager to get started. Only one problem though, I have no idea how to get started and the guides given on the site are less than helpful! I'm primarily interested in bringing in information from my past campaign, but I'm not trying to change the rules or anything, so no special coding right? This includes pictures and maps, info on deities continents etc., I originally thought there would be an import option or something but no luck there :( Though I still need to know how to run it as a whole...

At the moment the official guide is written as if the reader already has a good idea on the subject, kinda like a refresher, and not an instruction manual.

If someone has made a better how to guide direct me to that one, 'cause I have a LOT of work to do on this thing and, as I said, haven't the slightest an idea of where to start!

-Pontificus

Griogre
August 25th, 2012, 20:50
Generally the video guides are the most helpful to beginners. They are in the Downloads section: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ Scroll down and look on the right.

However, my first bit of advice to you is *don't* input anything into FG if you don't have to. You do want to put the maps in and you do want to learn how to build modules by exporting but if you are going to use voice in your game and you already have large amounts of campaign info written somewhere you can just read it without inputting it again - you will save yourself a *lot* of work and can start gaming sooner. :)

After you look at the video tutorials make sure you ask any questions you have. You might also find it useful to look at the included Well Met in Kith'takharos module to get a feel for how information can be arranged.

Edit: I forgot to mention that adding maps is just a matter of dropping them in the right folder so it's easy.

JohnD
August 25th, 2012, 20:53
Griogre is right - just input what you need to run the game - using voice communication saves a huge amount.

For the rest, if necessary you can throw the files on a Dropbox account and send your players links to access.

Pontificus
August 25th, 2012, 21:30
Thanks, didn't even see the video tutorial! I'll get right on that, though one last thing, you mentioned putting maps into files for use in the game, can I still do that with wine bottler?

Griogre
August 25th, 2012, 21:36
Yes you can. You just have to chase down where they are, it's the last bullet on the linked thread. I don't have a Mac but the subject has come up several times. You can see the sticky here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16755

Pontificus
August 25th, 2012, 21:54
Thanks again!

dberkompas
August 26th, 2012, 05:11
Search on FGGM1 (2, 3, 4, etc).

They're by user: Keith Hershey Jr.

I found them invaluable in learning FGII.

BoomerET

damned
August 26th, 2012, 10:58
how would your import tool work? there is an infinite number of ways you could have your data stored currently so it would be nigh impossible to import any unstructured data. but you can copy and paste chunks of text quite easily and apply formatting etc without too much difficulty - just time involved.
as others suggest - you have all your info already - if using voice - import maps and other images, create your monsters, add tokens, create encounters (make sure tokens stick) and that is enough to get you started.... maybe nPCs too.