PDA

View Full Version : Roslar's Coffer

Crossfireue
August 25th, 2012, 19:16
Roslar's Coffer is mentioned in passing in a few Pathfinder publications, but AFAIK there has been no published maps of the place. It sits near the Fangwood in Lastwall, and is essentially an abandoned location that has been taken over by a powerful Red Reaver.

In my campaign, Roslar's Coffer is the target of my PCs, who wish to clear it out, claim it for their own and rebuild it as a trade outpost. They essentially want to become land barons and add this type of land management to our game.

I've put together a map of Roslar's Coffer for our game, presented below. It is a small outpost surrounded by a wooden palisade. To the south runs a wide river, to the north small batches of forest and stone outcroppings. It contains a chapel, tavern, warehouse, some small cottages and an ancient watchtower from forgotten times. Atop a natural hill rests the main outpost of Roslar's Coffer.

Let me know what you think!

https://i.imgur.com/vHKvi.jpg

JohnD
August 25th, 2012, 21:02
Nicely done! :)

NeoFax
August 26th, 2012, 17:07
Very good! Do you have a version without the dead animals and humans?

JohnD
August 26th, 2012, 19:14
Yes a version without the bodies would be great.

I'd suggest mixing in a very light layer of "light beige sand" or something to break up the uniform appearance of the grass.

Crossfireue
August 27th, 2012, 16:07
Yes a version without the bodies would be great.

I'd suggest mixing in a very light layer of "light beige sand" or something to break up the uniform appearance of the grass.

I don't have a version without the dead creatures, but that would be easy enough to create. If I have some time this evening I'll do a version without them. I pointedly did not include a grid because I find matching up a grid already existing on a map with FG2 is such a royal pain in the butt.

I put together this map in Dundjinni (obviously), but I suppose the best way to put in a mixture of light beige sand would be to do so in Photoshop. I also want to try to do something a little nicer with the shoreline... it's too stark a break between the grass and the water.

Crossfireue
August 27th, 2012, 16:08
Oh - also, I plan on mapping out the inside of some of the buildings, like the tavern and the main outpost building on the hill, and perhaps the warehouse.

gmkieran
August 27th, 2012, 16:54
Excellent work and thanks for sharing! Would also like to see a version without the corpses as well as your interior maps, if you feel like sharing those when you get 'em done. :D

I do have a tactical question, though, with no intent to offend. The main building has a stone wall around it *inside* the palisade and a break in the palisade on the outside, leaving it open to direct assault. Is that intentional? If I were building the outpost and going to the trouble of building that stone wall around the "safe" sections of that building, I'd think it reasonable to extend it all the way around and have the palisade come up to it on both sides. Or, if materials are short, I'd build that wall of the building double-thick, making it part of the outer defenses, and not bother with the wall around the interior sides.

Also, does the palisade really extend out into the river?

cheers!
GMK

Crossfireue
August 27th, 2012, 17:30
The palisade does extend into the river, the posts driven down into the riverbed. The idea was that it would act as a bit of a breakwall against the current and help hold back any land-born invaders. There is no real defense against a water-born attack, however that has never really been a concern as the invaders they are most concerned about are not known for their love of water.

As for where the palisade breaks at the main building, it was not done perfectly well on this map but the hill that the outpost is on has a sharp drop-off on the north side covered in scrub and loose shale. Anybody coming from the north will be met by palisades on the sides of the hill, and a sharp rise ending at a stone wall (the foundations of the building). The stone wall around the building on the inside of the fort is low and fence-like, perhaps 4'-5' high. From the north edge of the rise outside to the top of the outpost you'd be looking at something closer to 30'.

I have no problem sharing the interior maps, once they're done!

Crossfireue
August 28th, 2012, 00:36
Here's the map without dead things! Tomorrow, when I have access to my tablet, I'll spend some time fancying it up with some textures to break up the monotony of the grass.

https://i.imgur.com/pOocz.jpg

gmkieran
August 28th, 2012, 15:56
Excellent! And thanks for the clarification on the tactical situation. Makes much more sense, now that I understand the contours of the area better.

Cheers!
GMK