PDA

View Full Version : Situational power tickbox question

Xross
August 25th, 2012, 18:17
I was wondering if there is a way turn this:
https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/Xross2/2efcc394.jpg

into this:
https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/Xross2/c7890793.jpg

for the benefit of clicking on the star and logging the ability on the chat screen.This star appears on the At-will powers.

Griogre
August 25th, 2012, 19:25
The short answer is no. Why don't you just click the name "Battlerager Vigor & Extra damage"? Is it because you don't want the text? The longer answer is why don't you move it to the at wills?

I have a battlerager in one of my games and we use the notification in chat of temps being added to log the ability. My other players will get on the Battlerager player if he doesn't add his temps.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/BattleragerTemps.png

Xross
August 26th, 2012, 09:21
This is for a new player, both to 4e and FG2. I think dropping them in the at-wills might be counter-intuitive.

I know I could just have him click on the power name itself and summon the wall of text in the description. I was curious, since I often use the "Situational" category to reference effects that should not be ticked away.

Griogre
August 26th, 2012, 17:44
Yeah, I use the Situational category the same way. I don't think I have ever checked anything in there.

gmkieran
August 27th, 2012, 16:31
As a player who's recently come up against this, part of the confusion stems from the fact that it *used* to be possible to click the Use check box on "situational" powers (before there was a Situational recharge category in the 4e ruleset) and not have them disappear from the mini sheet. Now that Situational is added as a recharge option, I no longer have access to my once-per-round Ranger feat Hunter's Quarry every round, I get it only once per encounter. I wasn't aware, until reading this, that there might be the option to change the recharge on a power to make it At-Will - is that possible?

I realize the complexity of making any given power automatically behave according to whatever situational requirements its description mandates, but it would be helpful to be able to distinguish powers that can be used multiple times during an encounter from those that *should* go away as soon as they're used. Something for the wishlist?

Griogre
August 27th, 2012, 18:44
I started to answer this but I have to go do some work. I'll post that answer later when I get a chance to finish it. In a nutshell there are two existing ways to solve the problem.

The easiest is just to make the situational power an At-will power. You do this by putting At-will in the recharge box of the situational power.

The other way is to use an effect. Effect drops are displayed in chat and are also shown on the creature dropped on which is usually what you want.

Xross
August 27th, 2012, 18:56
Now that Situational is added as a recharge option, I no longer have access to my once-per-round Ranger feat Hunter's Quarry every round, I get it only once per encounter. I wasn't aware, until reading this, that there might be the option to change the recharge on a power to make it At-Will - is that possible?

Yes, you can type the keyword At-will on the recharge box (reveal it with the magnifying glass), it will pass from the Situational category to the At-will category, same thing for Encounter and Daily.

Even so, you can use any power's effects over and over, just don't hit the tickbox. If you want to let everyone know you are using X power, click on the name of the power and it shows up on the chat screen - along with whatever (often lengthy) description it may have.