PDA

View Full Version : The sound of crickets

dr_venture
August 25th, 2012, 04:11
C&C just goes to show how vital it is to have an active coder for a ruleset. When Sorcerer disappeared, the traffic & discussion in this forum all but disappeared with him. I sure wish there was something to talk about in here :(

damned
August 25th, 2012, 10:23
i was thinking that there had been no activity in here lately too...
im still actively running my game every second saturday...
i also ran a session in the fg2con however i advertised it as AD&D as the vast majority of ppl just dont know what c&c is

such a shame - its just such an easy ruleset to learn, to play, to gm.
maybe its the $10 price for the ruleset? whenever i have been in the irc channel and mentioned c&c for that old school feel everyone keeps suggesting all the free rulesets like osric and 2e etc... such a shame on that front too - the $10 ruleset comes with full equipment, spell and class lists and full monsters and great game mechanics and automation.

so drV - perhaps you have tiem to learn some LUA?

dr_venture
August 25th, 2012, 17:05
C&C is a great game system - old school but with a lot of great upgrades. I had a player in my Old West game (which is basically C&C with different items and classes, and more skills/abilities) who really, really disliked D20 games. We wound up agreeing that my game wasn't a great match for him, but he was very kind about pointing out that I had made changed to D20 that he really appreciated. I *think* what he was getting at was the SIEGE engine that he felt opened up a lot more game play possibilities than he was used to.

If game systems were described as cars, the I'd say AD&D is an '69 mustang, OSRIC is the same '60 Mustang except built with a lot of modern components, and C&C is a great 'restomod' of a '60 Mustang - it definitely looks very nostalgically similar to an original, but has been lowered, has modern paint job and an an air scoop on the hood, all digital gauges, and an awesome modern stereo inside. Both the original and the restomod are appealing, but while the original's strength is being cool and nostalgic, restomod's strength is that it just plain runs and drives better, and will appeal to a broader modern audience.

Now I'll probably have car enthusiasts disagreeing with my analogy or it's premise!

As far as learning LUA (as well as learning the XML structure & what it really does, as opposed to just messing with stuff until it works), I've definitely thought about it. I'm quite sure I could do it, but I'm most daunted by the whole FG development environment. Every little change requires reloading the ruleset, so small jobs become big ones and it's very time consuming and for me isn't very condusive to getting into a "groove" for development work. The lack of any development tools (like form layout tools), and restarting to commit changes for me has to be measured against the likelihood I'll make any money. I'm living below the poverty line (can't stomach any more big Silicon Valley companies... long story), so I have to always balance the needs for income against my dev time. That said, our financial needs are much more modest than many, but from what I've seen from the yearly numbers for FG, I don't think the dev time on C&C would contribute much to my yearly income. That said, I'd love to hear otherwise from the FG guys...

Griogre
August 25th, 2012, 18:27
Dev work for FG is should be for fun, IMO. You'll never make a living wage from it the market - its far too small - even for the most popular games. FG defines the term niche of a niche. Ruleset building, time wise, has the least payback and requires the most knowledge.

On a more cheerful note Troll Lord is having a sale: https://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?&manufacturers_id=86

ddavison
August 26th, 2012, 04:59
Unfortunately Griogre is correct. I wish the story was different, but it makes the most sense when you want to do it just to add to your own and fellow gamers' experience and for the hobby of it. In return you end up with some money to further fund your hobby.

dr_venture
August 26th, 2012, 07:42
Oh well, that's what I figured. It could happen at some point, as I'd love to be able to mod to my heart's content, but I'm a ways away from the more complicated subjects like the combat tracker or draggable items, etc. I tried to just hack in a few changes from the latest Sorcerer dev build I have into an extension, but it just wasn't working well. Most of the functionality seems much more complex than an extension is going to handle. Maybe someday.

damned
August 26th, 2012, 10:48
ha - best to make sure you and your family have food on the table before learning LUA!
i'd also consider learning LUA but have way too many competing priorities.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2012, 19:17
I found that it is best to just start small and chip away at the little things that you want to change. That's how I got started. I didn't know a lick of Lua before I started tinkering with FG rulesets.

Regards,
JPG