PDA

View Full Version : Character Challenge: The Binder

Crossfireue
August 22nd, 2012, 15:26
So, I have a challenge. My face-to-face gaming group has recently decided to supplement our games with some online play using FG2. Most of the players are standard classes (bard, sorcerer, ranger), but I have one that has been playing the binder class. For those who don't know, the binder has the ability to bind with a vestige (a spirit), which gives them abilities beyond what they normally have. These abilities are temporary (for the day, or unless the binder releases it), and are different depending on which vestige they bind with.

So, I'm left trying to build this in FG2. I'm thinking that I might be able to somehow set up a module which contains the different vestiges, and the abilities that those vestiges give the binder. This would be kind of like spells. The abilities can be anywhere from physical attack modifiers, magical or supernatural abilities, different feats and skill modifiers.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2012, 15:35
Before you start building a module see what you can accomplish using the spell class on the actions tab. Many people use these for much more than spells as the "spell" entry can contain attack and damage stats; and (more importantly) effects. If you're familiar with effects you will know what you can do - if you're not familiar check out the effects entry 3.5E User Guide in the library: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

Scroll down and click through the various sub-menus under "Effects" in the left hand column.

Effects can be used for all sorts of things: Rangers favoured enemies, Inquisitors Judgements, feat bonuses, and the list goes on...

Callum
August 22nd, 2012, 15:35
I'm not familiar with the binder, but your proposal sounds sensible. I have a warlock in my group, and I created an "Extra Spells" module that has all his invocations in, treated like spells.

Crossfireue
August 22nd, 2012, 16:14
Before you start building a module see what you can accomplish using the spell class on the actions tab.
I was just thinking about this, shortly after posting. I guess the way it would work is that the Binder targets themselves, then "casts the spell" (applies the vestige), and the length of the effect(s) could just be set to one day (or until we manually remove it). I'm not clear on what all the vestige effects are, but I'm sure that it can all be done in this manner. I'll check it out and report back with what I find out.

Mgrancey
August 22nd, 2012, 19:28
Yep, I would agree from a quick look in the Tome of Magic, everything you need can either be done as a "spell" or weapon. To customize effect you want to reparse any custom spells so you then can put in the various effects and such.
If you can provide some specifics it would be easier to provide examples and such of what you want.

Crossfireue
August 22nd, 2012, 20:56
This would be a huge job, looking now through the Consolidate Binder Handbook that has been posted on WotC's forums. However, if I'm correct, the Binder only has a few vestiges they can choose from, so once I get my hands on the particulars, I'll be able to whittle it down so I only have to set up exactly what's available, and no more.

Here's an example of a 2nd level vestige and it's granted abilities;

Dahlver-Nar - Mad Soul, Maddening Moan*, Natural Armor, Shield Self

Mad Soul; (I don't know what this means)

Maddening Moan; daze all in 30' radius, will negates, 1/5 rnds.

Natural Armor; Enhancement equal to 1/2 Con bonus

Shield Self; Another creature within 70' shares damage with you. Will negates for unwilling creatures.

So this vestige would need to be able to grant all of these abilities on the Binder until the day is up or the vestige is dropped.

Mgrancey
August 22nd, 2012, 22:21
Mad soul is immunity to Wisdom stat damage, drain, madness, and confusion. No real need to do anything outside of remember and keep track of it.

Maddening moan:
Create spell -> Will save
Add effect-> Dazed; duration 1 RND

Natural armor: if constant just add into armor in Combat Tab (what it sounds like)
if not: Add Spell; Add effect -> AC: (add in 1/2 con mod) Natural; set duration

Shield self: no effect that can do that I think so would:
Create Spell -> Will Save, Add effect -> Shared Dmg w/ (Character name);

Two I would just keep track of without having to make spells abilities, Mad Soul and Nat Armor.

Callum
August 23rd, 2012, 16:09
Although you can just build the "spells" directly in the Actions tab of the character sheet, if you're comfortable with editing an xml document, I'd recommend taking the time to make a "spells" module. This would mean you have all of the abilities neatly packaged in a module, from which you can then drag the "spells" into the Actions tab - and the built-in spells parser will automatically create spell actions for effects it can understand. You can then go in and modify these, or add new actions for more unusual effects. This will also mean that the dragon symbol at the right of the spell summary in the Actions tab will link to the full "spell" description. It appears that several of the vestige granted abilities are "as the X spell", so you can make copies of these for your module.

I'd make "spells" for all the abilities, even those that don't function like a spell, so that the player can peruse them all in one place in the character sheet. However, I'd only create them for the vestiges that the character currently has access to - you can then gradually build up the module as the character gains access to more vestiges.

Crossfireue
August 23rd, 2012, 21:58
Although you can just build the "spells" directly in the Actions tab of the character sheet, if you're comfortable with editing an xml document, I'd recommend taking the time to make a "spells" module.
I've never edited XML before, but I've worked in HTML and PHP for years I can see some similarities, but it's not exactly the same.

I think this is definitely the way to go, so multiple spell effects can be loaded into each vestige, and then that can be loaded into the character sheet easily from the module. I'll have to look at the module I have for Pathfinder spells and see what I can make out from there.

Callum
August 24th, 2012, 15:26
Just to be clear: you can't put effects in spell modules; these exist only in the Action tab of the character sheet. When a spell is dragged into the Action tab, FG tries to parse the text and create effects from it. You can also add your own effects to it in here.

Mgrancey
August 24th, 2012, 16:43
Not sure on that, becuase I know some spells come setup with them already. I'm not sure if its just putting the information in right or if you can include actions info in modules, I've been planning on testing it out but haven't yet.

Crossfireue
August 25th, 2012, 14:14
I'll try it out and see what I come up with. I'm going to try it out with multiple effects in each "spell", so I only have to apply a single "spell" for each vestige, instead of having multiple "spells" per vestige. It'll just make things simpler in the long run.

Mgrancey
August 25th, 2012, 17:12
That is possible but will be confusing, I would suggest doing a vestige as all the spells on a level. All level 0 spells are for 1 vestige ( I would suggest the one he uses most often) all of another vestige as Level 1 spells, etc.