PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to make my own rule sets, where should I start?

bislab
August 21st, 2012, 08:57
As the title says. I have programming experience, just not with Lua. I've used perl, C, C++ and java and have some experience with XML. Can anyone recommend a book, website or tutorial that will get me up to speed with Lua? In particular focus to FG2 creations?

Trenloe
August 21st, 2012, 15:01
Click the "Library" link at the top of this page, then "Ruleset Modification Guide". Step through the different pages from the index on the left. The "Scripting" page includes some links to online LUA resources.

Valarian
August 21st, 2012, 19:12
I would start with the Foundation Core that Joshuha and phantomwhale have put together. This is a solid, and up to date, base on which to build. Grab a copy of the "Anatomy of a ruleset" written by Foen from the FGWiki.

bislab
August 22nd, 2012, 02:02
Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a total newbie. Let me restate what I meant. I have read the resources here, but was looking for personal opinions on a good book on Lua in general and maybe one specifically on xml integration that might be helpful for FG2 programming. If the answer is still 'look at these things HERE' no worries, and thanks for the replies already received :)

Moon Wizard
August 22nd, 2012, 03:18
Here is the book I used for learning Lua. It's available for free online, and also available in print via Amazon.

https://www.lua.org/pil/

Cheers,
JPG

Valarian
August 22nd, 2012, 07:13
The best method, IMO, is to look at a ruleset and see what it's doing. The Lua book moonwizard is recommending helps with the syntax and structure. The library says what can be done in FG, the anatomy tells you how stuff hangs together. So, yes, do all of it :)

bislab
August 22nd, 2012, 09:42
Thanks very much guys. Now to lock myself away for a month and come back as an FG2 coder ;)