PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands question: Where are my Guts!

bislab
August 20th, 2012, 03:39
Attention getting title aside, really, where do I find the Guts skill to drag onto a character sheet? As far as I can tell, the deadlands modules do not have a skill list and instead refer you to the SWEX module...which of course doesn't have the Guts skill as it is campaign specific. Do I just add this by hand or am I missing it in the library files somewhere?

phantomwhale
August 20th, 2012, 06:23
SWEX is missing guts because... it's a bug :(

It has been fixed for 3.3 so should reappear in your module then.

Somewhat ironically, 3.3 is also the release that will support the new SWD module - which will of course NOT have guts as they moved it out by then !

It's a funny one, as officially there is no DL:R published release that contains Guts as a DL:R specific skill (as DL:R was published before SWD). So to strictly keep the modules in line with the published books, neither the SWD or DL:R modules should actually HAVE the guts skill.

Was thinking of putting one in an updated DL:R players guide module, but just with the SWEX description (as I have no official Pinnacle text to describe a DL:R Guts skill !)

Of course, as a workaround, my players just type it in rather than dragging and dropping it.

bislab
August 20th, 2012, 09:20
SWEX is missing guts because... it's a bug :(

It has been fixed for 3.3 so should reappear in your module then.

Somewhat ironically, 3.3 is also the release that will support the new SWD module - which will of course NOT have guts as they moved it out by then !

It's a funny one, as officially there is no DL:R published release that contains Guts as a DL:R specific skill (as DL:R was published before SWD). So to strictly keep the modules in line with the published books, neither the SWD or DL:R modules should actually HAVE the guts skill.

Was thinking of putting one in an updated DL:R players guide module, but just with the SWEX description (as I have no official Pinnacle text to describe a DL:R Guts skill !)

Of course, as a workaround, my players just type it in rather than dragging and dropping it.

Wow, that is a pickle. Considering that 'Grit' is included and Grit directly adds a bonus to a skill that doesn't appear. Guts IS mentioned in your DL:R GM module but it's just part of the canned text and not something you can drag out. Well, I guess I'll just make sure my players all know that it's a write in skill. Any suggestions on how I can get Grit to factor into their Guts roll? Also, on the DL: Deluxe-ified! document that is available on PEG's website, it does list Guts(Spirit) as a setting rule for DL.

phantomwhale
August 20th, 2012, 11:09
Well, to be clear, drag-and-drop skills give you a link back to the library entry for that skill. They do not give you any automated treatment of skills adjustments yet (although it IS second on the wishlist : https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=22466)

So currently, however you get Guts onto your character sheet, what is commonly done is to right-click the skill die, select "bonuses" from the menu, and add a bonus called Grit onto the skill, set to +X, where X is the Grit score.

Of course, this needs to be manually updated whenever your Grit changes - which shouldn't be TOO often.

Finally - ah yes, was at work earlier and forgot about the DL: Deluxe-ified document ! Thanks for the reminder - I'll probably turn that into a freebie FG module when 3.3 goes out to give people both the guts skill, and the new SWD powers in "Deadlands trapping" format.