PDA

View Full Version : Newb

rgmadd7
August 17th, 2012, 04:41
I was wondering if FG is good for a group at a table. I want to play RMC with my group but we all sit at the table and play. I want to know if FG would speed up play and give me visuals for my players if I had it on just one computer. Can i make there characters on my pc and use the FG RMC software to make there roles for them, allocate actions, track there PCs on my maps and level up, etc? The main reason i want to know is because a friend of mine moved away and i thought this way he and his wife could play with us online while the rest of us played here at my house at the table.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2012, 05:01
I run most of my games online, but I use FG for my annual face-to-face gaming session. We've played 3.5E, Pathfinder, 4E and Savage Worlds in this way. I find that it enhances the experience for my players, since it provides a place to share images, handouts, combat tracker with players easily. Also, it helps me as a GM to manage all the campaign data (creatures, items, story boxes) as well as track tactical encounters (initiative, health, effects, info lookup).

Technically, you could have the full characters for the remote people set up in the game and they could interact directly with the tabletop. For players around the table, they would either need to have a machine to enter their movement and actions in the game, or you, as GM, can replicate their actions on the FG map and combat tracker.

I think that one of the nice things about using FG locally at the table would be the automation of table lookups for RM. You might try asking around in the RM forum as well, to see if they have any ideas or suggestions for your scenario.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
August 17th, 2012, 05:08
FG most certainly does help do away with all the table lookups that you need constantly in RM... well worth the price for that alone.

Dakadin
August 17th, 2012, 07:20
I've been using the RMC ruleset for my face to face game since the beginning of the year and I can't imagine doing it without it. It definitely speeds things up. My group started out with more than one PC but it would even help with one PC. Like JohnD mentioned the table look ups alone will speed things up tremendously.

Here is how it could work. Even if you have your players roll their dice the old fashioned way you can drag the appropriate table from the tables list into the table resolver. Then just enter their roll and the modifiers. The table resolver will select the appropriate roll on the table and you just have to select the AT. Right click the result and it will allow you to open the appropriate result table whether it is a critical, fumble or the resistance roll table.

The only issue I see with you using just one PC would be if you only had one screen since they could potentially see things that you might want to keep hidden when you are showing them other things.

Ardem
August 17th, 2012, 08:49
Even dragging in the numbers into the combat window would make combat a huge speed increase. Not to just mention GM tracking and story telling.

Also consider two laptops, one for you and one for the players, that way you can provide map information and tracking and everyone can see it on the client PC which is on the opposite side to your laptop.

I not done F2F with FG yet but if I did I would do it this way.

Griogre
August 17th, 2012, 08:57
You could also get by in the face to face game with two monitors one facing you, and the other facing the players. You would then start a second instance of FG as a client and put it and the PC only stuff on the second monitor.

Tiqon
August 17th, 2012, 10:40
I read somewhere on this forum that they used one pc for the gm and one for the players, but used the TV as the screen for the players. I think this is an excellent idea and plan to do it like this when Im gonna play with my wife and our two kids...

Tiqon
August 17th, 2012, 11:56
Forgot to say this: try the demo! There is almost nothing you cant try in the demo, you cant save what you do though ;). I did that alot to see if FG2 could do the things I wanted with it.
ofc do take your time to get to know FG2, that is: read the manual at the library here on this site and play around with it so you get to know the "hidden gold" of the program, because there are ALOT. I still find neat things about this program, so much in fact my wife has started to say "No I do NOT want to hear about any more" when I mumble "cool!" to my self looking at the monitor...

craggles
August 17th, 2012, 14:25
Forgot to say this: try the demo! ... Do take your time to get to know FG2, that is: read the manual at the library here on this site and play around with it so you get to know the "hidden gold" of the program, because there are ALOT.

You definitely need to look at the manual and tutorials on this site before you make your final decision as FG isn't the sort of app you can just play around with and work everything out.

Also, there's a walkthrough that Lachancery did which is specific to the RMC install (but you won't get to play with those features until you buy that ruleset) and a lot of other info on the RMC Ruleset can be found out or asked about in FG's official RMC Ruleset forum - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

As mentioned, it would be a great benefit if there were another laptop present at a F2F session or another monitor or TV as your players can use the FG dice so you won't have to type in dice rolls manually and you can also decide what portions of the map and NPCs you show the players without resorting to covering up all the GM info on your screen with your hands when you show them portions of your screen.

JohnD
August 17th, 2012, 14:58
I read somewhere on this forum that they used one pc for the gm and one for the players, but used the TV as the screen for the players. I think this is an excellent idea and plan to do it like this when Im gonna play with my wife and our two kids...
Apologies for the OT but man are you ever lucky.

Tiqon
August 17th, 2012, 15:39
Apologies for the OT but man are you ever lucky.

I know :). Though they are all what I call "passive players" in that they would never pick up an rpg book, make just a bit backgrund about their char and such, but they alle seem to enjoy themselves when we play, and ask when we can play again, so... Lets se how long that holds with my 14 year old daughter hehe... Beside all players pour different amount of time and energy into rpg, and thats ok :).

rgmadd7
August 18th, 2012, 01:29
Wow, lotta feed back! Quick too! Thanks for the help! The idea of using a tv monitor sounds good and we have other laptops, however the my face to face players are not going to want to buy FG or the RMC software. Can we pull it off just using my laptop and a tv monitor? Then my friend in Florida can buy what he needs to join in online.

Griogre
August 18th, 2012, 01:43
Yes, you would just treat the TV as a second Monitor. You will want to extent your desktop and start a second instance of FG there. Normally in this type of use there is no reason to show the chat screen so you can cover it up with maps and other images. That's good because the only real problem is TV's tend to have very low resolution unless they are large, HiDef or a projector.

Make sure you try it with the demo to see how it will work for you.

craggles
August 18th, 2012, 01:47
Only the GM needs to buy the RMC ruleset.

And to GM, you need a Full or an Unlimited License.

Players need a Lite License if the GM has a Full License but the players can have the free unregistered version if the GM has the Unlimited License. (I should clarify that - players who are using FG on a separate computer/laptop need a Lite License if the GM has a Full License)

There are bundle deals for FG with the more you buy at one time. Just add more Full or Lite Licenses to your cart at the same time and the discounts are added automatically. Getting several Full's and multiple Lite's at one time ends up being still cheaper than getting 1 Ultimate License.

But for your F2F sittings, I'm not 100% certain of this and someone will be sure to correct this after me but you as the GM runs the FG as a GM and run a second instance of FG as a client to use for the Players - but still only 1 Full License. They'll need to hijack your mouse to make rolls but that's it. :)

damned
August 18th, 2012, 09:35
Graphic Designer & Illustrator based it Wales (UK). Feel free to have a look at my Illustration Portfolio - Craig's Sketchpad
some nice images there craggles.

craggles
August 18th, 2012, 10:18
some nice images there craggles.

Why thank you! :D

...only 'some'? :p