PDA

View Full Version : Effects and Modifiers

Hecklerus Prime
August 13th, 2012, 22:20
After a year of using FG2 my group has finally started to explore the effects and modifiers options. We've puzzled out a lot of things on our own, but we're still running into some questions. For now, I'm posting a list of all the effects we have found for future players that may have difficulty figuring it out. But first, a few rules we've found.

First off, almost all of the defined effects in the Players Handbook will work normally. This means that creating an effect and simply putting "Sickened" or "Cowering" on the description line will suffice.

Second, most effects can be entered manually using an abbreviated form of the ability to be modified. So STR for Strength, DMG for Damage, ATK for attacks, AC for heal and so on.

Third, there is a general formula for most effects that must be followed. It goes like this:

[Effect Name]; [Ability to be Modified]: [Amount] [Type]

Note the placement of semicolons (;) and colons (:), as this is very important to get the correct results. Some modifiers can be set to specific qualities via the [Type] addition, but note that not all effect require a type. For example, the Mage Armor spell generates an armor bonus and so it does not apply to touch attacks. Then the effect would look like this:

Mage Armor; AC: 4 armor

Note the 'armor' after the 4 will direct the effect to only be applied to normal and flat-footed armor classes, not touch. This same idea is used for Regeneration, Resistance, and any other effects that may focus on a certain type.

Finally, if there is an effect that you want to duplicate see if there is a monster pre-loaded in FG2 that has that effect. Ask your DM to load that monster in the Combat Tracker and it should be laid out nice and neat for you to copy.

Sample Effects

Blinded
Charging; ATK: 2; AC: -2 melee
Combat Expertise; ATK: [Amount]; AC: [Amount] melee
Cowering
Damage Reduction; DR: [Amount] [Type]
Damage Type; DMGTYPE: [Type]
Dazzled
Entangled
Exhausted
Fascinated
Fast Healing; FHEAL: [Amount]
Fatigued
Flat-footed
Frightened
Grappled
Helpless
Incorporeal
Immunity; IMMUNE: [Type]
Mage Armor; AC: 4 armor
Panicked
Paralyzed
Power Attack; ATK: -[Amount]; DMG: [Amount] melee
Prone
Rage; STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 morale will; AC: -2
Regeneration; REGEN: [Amount] [Type]
Resistance; RESIST: [Amount] [Type]
Shaken
Sickened
Squeezing
Stunned

Glossary

AC : Armor Class
ATK : Attack rolls. Will apply to all rolls (Ranged/melee, touch/normal)
[Amount] : Enter a numerical amount, such as 4 or -2
CHA : Charisma. Applies to all Charisma-based skills and checks
CON : Constitution. Applies to all Constitution-based skills and checks. DOES NOT automatically increase/decrease hit points
DEX : Dexterity. Applies to all Dexterity-based skills and checks, as well as ranged attack rolls and Armor Class
DMG : Damage. Applies to all damage rolls. A [Type] can be added to specify a certain damage type. For example, DMG: 2 ranged adds 2 to all ranged damage rolls but adds none to any melee damage rolls.
DMGTYPE : Used to specify a type of damage. For example, an angel would have DMGTYPE: good epic and a demon would have DMGTYPE: evil chaotic
DR : Damage Reduction. A type is added afterwards to show what damage type will be ignored. For example, an angel would have DR: 15 epic and evil. Note that the weapons and spells on the character sheets must have the correct type listed, otherwise the program will treat that attack as a non-epic and non-evil spell or attack.
FHEAL : Fast Healing. Enter a numerical value and each round the character will heal that amount in both lethal and nonlethal damage.
INT : Intelligence. Applies to all Intelligence-based skills and checks
IMMUNE : Immunity. A type is added afterwards to show what damage type will be ignored. For example, a celestial would have IMMUNE: Poison. Note that the weapons and spells on the character sheets must have the correct type listed, otherwise the program will treat that attack as a non-poison spell or attack.
REGEN : Regeneration. A type is added afterwards to show what damage type will deal actual damage, rather than nonlethal. For example, a troll would have REGEN: 5 fire. Note that the weapons and spells on the character sheets must have the correct type listed, otherwise the program will treat that attack as a non-fire spell or attack.
RESIST : Resistance. Usually used for a magical energy type. A type is added afterwards to show what damage type will be ignored, rather than nonlethal. For example, a demon would have RESIST: 5 fire. Note that the weapons and spells on the character sheets must have the correct type listed, otherwise the program will treat that attack as a non-fire spell or attack.
SAVE : Applies to all saves. A [Type] can be added to specify a certain save, bonus type, or effect to save against, such as Reflex, morale, or Fear
STR : Strength. Applies to all Strength-based skills and checks, as well as melee attack and melee damage
[Type] : Enter a form of bonus or type, such as "armor" or "fire". Multiple types can be added as such: "fire or acid" or "cold iron and good'
WIS : Wisdom. Applies to all Wisdom-based skills and checks

Hecklerus Prime
August 13th, 2012, 22:24
Now, I have a question for anyone that may know more than me. Is there a way to make an effect that deals persistent damage to the character automatically? For example, say the character is in a situation that deals them a persistent 4 damage per round for three rounds.

Going further, can we make that damage nonlethal? For example, a Frenzied Berserker takes 1 point of nonlethal damage every round she is in a frenzy. How can we make the program do this automatically?

We've figured out that Fast Healing is FHEAL: [Amount] and Regeneration is REGEN: [Amount][Type] and we thought that making the amount negative would work, but it does not.

Trenloe
August 13th, 2012, 22:32
This is for 3.5E right?

Nice list - it's great that you've gone to the effort to produce this.

Did you work this out yourself or get it from the 3.5E User Guide? (This is available under the "Library" link at the top of this page)

The user guide already has a lot of this documented, but most of it is hiding under the "Effects" menu item way down in the bottom left of the guide - clicking this menu appears to give very little information, but it does expand the sub-menu on the left (under "Effects") which gives a lot more information on conditions, modifiers, etc.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp Scroll down to the bottom-left of the menu to see the effects sub-menu.

Hecklerus Prime
August 13th, 2012, 22:41
Nope. Definitely did not see that. We've been playing a game of guess and check for a while, using the pre-loaded monsters as guidelines. And yes, this is for 3.5E, but I wasn't aware the effect changed for 4E

Trenloe
August 13th, 2012, 22:42
Now, I have a question for anyone that may know more than me. Is there a way to make an effect that deals persistent damage to the character automatically? For example, say the character is in a situation that deals them a persistent 4 damage per round for three rounds.
See the DMGO modifier in the 'Effects" -> "Label: Modifiers" section of the 3.5E user guide.

This lists the DMGO can have a die type or a number for the amount of ongoing damage, also an energy type.

So, DMGO: 2 would do 2 point of damage each round (on whichever initiative step the effect was set to trigger).

Going further, can we make that damage nonlethal? For example, a Frenzied Berserker takes 1 point of nonlethal damage every round she is in a frenzy. How can we make the program do this automatically?
DMGO: 1 nonlethal

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2012, 22:49
Can you make that persistent damage random?

Trenloe
August 13th, 2012, 23:01
Can you make that persistent damage random?
Yep, as mentioned above, the entry in the user guide indicates that DMGO support dice phrases and number values.

e.g.:

DMGO: 1d4 nonlethal

Blackfoot
August 14th, 2012, 04:00
Interesting. I had thought I was pretty well up to speed on these but clearly there were some that I was missing... actually.. it makes for a pretty nice Rogue effect to do:
Flanking;ATK:2;DMG:1d6
to deal with sneak attack... hrm.. gotta test to see if it gets doubled on crits...
Cool! It does not! That actually works really well... the dice show up in a different color!

Hecklerus Prime
August 15th, 2012, 22:40
Any ideas on adding Temporary hit points? This would be a great help for when our barbarian goes into a rage.

Trenloe
August 15th, 2012, 23:32
Any ideas on adding Temporary hit points?
There isn't a specific effect for temporary hit points - just add them to the PC on their character sheet, or PCs/NPCs on the combat tracker.

This would be a great help for when our barbarian goes into a rage.
FYI: HPs gained by raging Barbarians aren't strictly temporary hit-points - they are actual hit points (which you lose when coming out of rage). I'm not aware of any effect that increases hit points directly.

Callum
August 16th, 2012, 21:38
As discussed in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=122981), there isn't currently a way of using an effect to add the barbarian's bonus hit points from raging. In fact, I'm not sure it will ever be possible in a straightforward way, because (as Trenloe notes) they aren't temporary hp, they're real ones - and they don't stack on top, like most bonuses do; instead, they go on the bottom. So you'd need some way to subtract the same amount of hp when the barbarian stops raging.

Currently, the best way to handle it is just to add the bonus hp directly, and then remove the same amount at the end of the rage. In my games, I don't even bother with this - I just let barbarian characters operate into the appropriate number of negative hit points (if they get that low) and then apply any appropriate consequences when the rage ends.

Incidentally, you can add temporary hit points by using a heal spell action and setting the type to TEMP.

Blackfoot
August 16th, 2012, 22:20
It might me good if HP could be mouse wheel bonused like many of the other items on the main page. Then it would track the bonus HP separately from the character's HP and they could be removed when the rage was over putting the character into the proper situation for that point in time.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2012, 04:53
The challenge is that the hit points field is an editable field, so supports mouse wheel directly as an edit to the number of hit points. Every field that allows a mouse-wheel bonus is a calculated field that can not be edited directly.

Basically, that has been the challenge with barbarians since the beginning of my implementation of 3.5E.
* Bonus hit points from CON boosts have a very unique behavior.
* I think the best solution would be to add/remove hit points directly when a CON boost effect is added/expires or is turned on/off.
* Currently, there is no code that triggers on effect application and expiration to perform any actions, so it would be a new effect feature.

If I did it, the barbarian in my party would thank you. ;)

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 17th, 2012, 04:58
The mouse wheel option isn't an 'ideal' one anyway.. since it goes outside the 'effects' area and so can't happen directly as the result of a spell.
Anything that increases or lowers CON (spell or otherwise) usually has this type of effect attached to it.

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2012, 07:09
I found this note at the bottom of the effects documentation... what does this mean and how would one make use of it?

T = Effects can be targeted to only apply to modifiers against certain opponents

Trenloe
August 19th, 2012, 15:26
I found this note at the bottom of the effects documentation... what does this mean and how would one make use of it?
It means you can target an effect. In the CT the GM can use the small target icon ("Drag onto new effect target") to apply the effect against certain targets.

This could be used for things like Rangers favoured enemies, cover/concealment against only some combatants, etc..

larzz48
December 12th, 2012, 17:43
Posted by Trenloe
It means you can target an effect. In the CT the GM can use the small target icon ("Drag onto new effect target") to apply the effect against certain targets.

This could be used for things like Rangers favoured enemies, cover/concealment against only some combatants, etc..

Would someone be so kind as to illustrate how this would work? Specifically, the Ranger's favored enemy. Assume the bonus is +2 and the favored enemy is Goblinoid (just to make it interesting).

I would start with "Favored Enemy; DMG: 2; SKILL: 2 bluff, 2 listen, 2 sense motive, 2 spot, 2 survival". Where do I put the reference to target?

EDIT: I accidently used ATK instead of DMG in the orignial post.

Here is a list of enemies for discussion:

Goblin_1, Goblin_2, Hobgoblin_1, Gnoll_1, Gnoll_2, Orc_1

EDIT: I also discovered the answer to my own question. For any other who are confused, if you click on the Effects icon to reveal the list of effects on the character with "Favored Enemy", you will see a little Target icon to the far right. Drag this icon to each of the favored enemies and the effect is only applied to those targets. Genius!

Trenloe
December 14th, 2012, 09:05
EDIT: I also discovered the answer to my own question. For any other who are confused, if you click on the Effects icon to reveal the list of effects on the character with "Favored Enemy", you will see a little Target icon to the far right. Drag this icon to each of the favored enemies and the effect is only applied to those targets. Genius!
Yep, what you mention is a nice piece of GM functionality in the Combat Tracker (CT).

For the example of favoured enemy: players would either control this themselves (by applying effects to themselves only when they were targeting a favoured enemy) or add the relevant effects targeted to themselves and ask the GM to drag this effect target icon in the CT to the relevant NPCs which favoured enemy would have an effect on. It is much cleaner (and less subject to player error) to ask the GM to apply effects such as this to the specific targets rather than relying on players to juggle their effects - especially as the GM would have to remove effects a player applies if they were not longer relevant (such as the player applies it then changes their mind) as players can't delete effects once applied.

damned
December 24th, 2012, 20:51
could someone show me how the syntax would work in Castles&Crusades for the following examples:
Bless: allies gain +1 to hit and +1 on saves against fear, lasts 10 combat rounds/level
Intimidate: failure to save vs charisma suffers -2 on all rolls, lasts till end of combat
Charge: +2 to hit, -4 AC duration 1 round
I have been playing with a few combinations but haven't got it quite right yet...

Trenloe
December 24th, 2012, 23:54
could someone show me how the syntax would work in Castles&Crusades for the following examples:
Bless: allies gain +1 to hit and +1 on saves against fear, lasts 10 combat rounds/level
Intimidate: failure to save vs charisma suffers -2 on all rolls, lasts till end of combat
Charge: +2 to hit, -4 AC duration 1 round
I have been playing with a few combinations but haven't got it quite right yet...
I'm not sure exactly how effects have been implemented in C&C, but try these:

Bless; ATK:1 Then put 10 in the yellow box and -1 in the white box. This means lasts for 10 rounds, reduce duration by 1 each round. I don't think you can specify fear saves only for the save bonus.
Intimidate; ATK:-2; SAVE:-2; DMG:-2; Apply this effect when a target fails the charisma save. I'm not sure about any other rolls this might apply to in C&C and what the effect label would be.
Charge; ATK:2; AC:-4; Then apply the duration as mentioned above - 1 i the yellow box, -1 in the white.

The thing with the effects duration is that they are tied to the initiative count when they are applied - that is when the decrement in the white box is applied to the duration. So, make sure the current actor indicator arrow is on the right PC (initiative count) when you apply the effect - you'll see this in the "Update on..." entry under the effect in the CT.

damned
January 6th, 2013, 01:52
i still couldnt get the effect: ATK:1 to actually apply anything in the game...
Used:
Bless;ATK:1;
Bless; ATK:1;
Bless;ATK:1
Bless; ATK:1
Bless;atk:1;
Bless; atk:1;
Bless;atk:1
Bless; atk:1
Yet none seemed to actually apply the bonus...

Trenloe
January 6th, 2013, 02:27
I can't get it to work now either... :(

I tried this on my work PC originally and I could have sworn it worked. I won't be able to check it again for a while though as I won't be in the office for a few days.

I've looked through the ruleset code and the only actual effects I can find are DMG (ongoing damage at the beginning of the PCs turn) and HEAL (healing at the beginning of the PC's turn).

The license mentioned that these were the only 2 effects added in V2 - "apart from the standard effects seen in v1.0, 2 predefined 'special' effects have been provided DMG: # and HEAL: #"

So, were the original "effects" added in V1.0 just label effects that were simply a prompt to remember that you had certain bonuses? Perhaps they were...