PDA

View Full Version : Custom Professions

mPicart
August 13th, 2012, 21:21
Is it possible to add a profession in FG?
I'd like to add the Paladin profession from Rolemaster Companion I book.
I guess you would also need to be able to add into FG a whole new spell list (needed for the Paladin, or any other new Profession that you add that has new spells).

Thanks,
Michael

Dakadin
August 13th, 2012, 23:03
You can do it if you don't mind doing some manual entry. If you do it as you go it won't be too bad. Here is an overview:

* Enter the Profession
* Add the Skills
* Add the Spell Lists, if needed

Here are the more detailed steps:
Enter the Profession
Just type the profession name in the Profession field on the Main tab. This field really is just used by the system to look up skill costs. Since it won't have the new profession, skill costs won't be automatically entered.

Add the Skills
Drag the skills to the Skills tab. The skill costs won't be automatically filled in because the system won't recognize the profession. So you will have to manual enter the costs for each skill. Just type them in like you see them in the chart for the profession.

Add the Spell Lists
On the Spells tab, right click in the middle of the sheet. Select the bottom radial option which will be Create List. This will create a custom spell list. Click the link icon (a grey square) for the new custom spell list entry that appears. This will open a window for the spell list.
Click just to the right of the link icon (a grey square) and type in the name of the spell list. For each spell just click the line for the spell level and a window will open for that spell level.
Click just to the right of the link icon (a grey square) and type in the name of the spell. Fill in the Area, Duration, Range, Type and Description. You don't need to fill in the table. Close the spell window and continue adding spells as needed.

I would only add the spells as you need them to keep it more manageable. Please let me know if you have any questions.

mPicart
August 13th, 2012, 23:44
Oh, Ok. Thank you.
I like the style of FG's character sheet for Rolemaster. Is it possible to print out blank character sheets from the program?
When the printed sheet is used in actual face-to-face gaming, then it would make contiuing the game virtually easier as everyone knows where all their info would be.

Dakadin
August 14th, 2012, 04:38
There isn't an option to print out blank character sheets. The best you could do is to take screenshots and use those but I don't know if that would work very well.

If you have access to a couple computers during your face to face games you can always do what I do and just use FG whlie playing face to face. It works very well since we get the benefits of both.

DHKnecht
August 15th, 2012, 01:39
On the character sheets, I have worked on a spreadsheet based on RMSS characters that automates practically everything for you, and includes all character classes, tons of races, etc. It automatically calculates all stats, development costs, looks up spell lists, talents, flaws, weapon costs, even spell list costs based on the realm and level being developed. Then, it takes everything and prints it on a character sheet showing main info on page 1 and all skills/categories on subsequent pages. It is geared for MERP, but can be changed to a more standard RMFRP pretty easily. PM me and I'll send a copy to anyone who can read Excel format.

Dakadin
August 15th, 2012, 04:57
That's great DHKnecht! I would like to take a look at it. :)

If you feel comfortable writing VBA macros for Excel you could always setup the spreadsheet have the ability to create an FG character export from the spreadsheet. You could even have it import in a character export. Then maintenance could happen in either system.

If you need help doing it let me know.

mPicart
August 16th, 2012, 03:10
Yes, thank you.
I'd like to take a look, as well.