PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary Modules...

Blackfoot
August 11th, 2012, 18:13
Is it possible to create sub windows in Bestiary Modules for 3.5/PF or do they need to be straight lists?

I've been building Modules for the various Summon Monster spells and I would rather tuck them all into one module rather than build a separate one for each Spell Level. I've tinkered with it a bit but don't seem to be getting anywhere as far as consolidating them.

Griogre
August 11th, 2012, 21:00
There's no technical reason you couldn't put all the summon monsters spells in one module or even in with the spell lists if you wanted. Practicably, you probably don't want to fight the Pathfinder Parser though since it is likely a big time saver. So you would likely be better off having them in one separate module.

Blackfoot
August 11th, 2012, 21:07
I'm doing fairly heavy editing to the parser output anyway, so making it a bit more polished isn't a big deal. I'll try and explain a bit more clearly.

I want my module to open up to a list of levels. When you click the level I want it to open up to the list of monsters appropriate for that level.

I'm looking for a window class that will let me display the list of class 'npc' windows. Suggestions?

Griogre
August 11th, 2012, 22:03
Let me make sure I am following the structure you want. You want to click the library book to populate a list of levels in the right library list pane, then you want to click on that list of levels in the right pane to open a list of summon monsters at that level, then you want to click on a monster on that list to actually open a monster window? IE Complete SRD Monsters (on left pane) -> Monsters (on the right pane) -> Monster listing -> NPC window.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/LibList01.png

I would personally just arrange the right library pane to display the ncps by summon level and then alphabetically since there doesn't seem to be a reason to go through a summary list of monsters per level? IE just skip the extra window with a list of monsters and do the list in the right library pane.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/LibList02.png

IE Chapter 6 would become Summon Monster 1 and you could put a link to the list of summon 1 monsters if you wanted or just not make it a link just have it as a seperator. "Running the game" would become the first monster for Summon monster 1, "Allies" would be the second one, ect. Chapter Seven would become Summon monster 2 and so on. Generally, its considered good style to not make people drill down though extra windows if possible.

Getting back to your original post, the intermediate window doesn't need to display monsters - you just need to display a list of links and there are plenty that will do that.

Blackfoot
August 11th, 2012, 22:47
The idea is to have the module be dual purpose.
A list of available monsters to summon at the appropriate spell level, and then the actual monsters once that list has been determined.
I agree that multiple layers of windows are a pain but it actually would simplify the current situation where I have 5 separate modules in the module listing.. making for a very cluttered list.
1 module that lists levels.
1 list of monsters for that level.
1 monster file.
(basically just like the first image you displayed above)
Thanks for the help.. I need to see if I can find that old d20 monster module.

The problem witht he second image setup is that there are large numbers of critters in the list and it would involve a lot of scrolling to get to what you want. A worse problem to having too many windows.

Griogre
August 12th, 2012, 00:41
The long lists can be a problem. But because you can search on the library pane you can do some things to make it easier like putting 01 in front of the names on the list so if someone just wants the Summon 1 monsters they just type 01 and you just see the first level monsters.

I do that for my monsters books because I hate drilling down to find monsters and I can rapidly scan different books for just Ogres or just shorten the list if I want to see 6 level ones. There isn't that type of advantage in Summon monster lists though.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/LibList03.png

Just show 6th level

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/LibList04.png

You should make them send you beer for making those modules. ;) That's such a thankless task - you'll setup 120ish monsters and no more than about a 12 max will be commonly used. :( My last high level 3.5 character run up from first was a evoker / summoner and I doubt I summoned more than 6 or 8 monster types.

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2012, 00:52
I hear ya on the usage...

Anyway... any idea which windowclass would work for this?
I tried 'referencetext', 'referencetextwide' and 'referenceindex'... none of those worked.
The window comes up but none of the monsters are listed on it.

My code looks like this:
<root>
<library>
<SummonableMonsters static="true">
<name type="string">Summonable Monsters</name>
<entries>
<LevelV>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referencetext</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Level 5 Summonable Monsters</name>
<entries>

Griogre
August 12th, 2012, 02:36
Looks like you are getting a bit mixed up in your embedding. I've linked to a sample module below, but here's some sample code (I just used a dog instead of a celestial one).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.8">
<library>
<PFSummonableMonsters>
<name type="string">PF Summonable Monsters</name>
<categoryname type="string">PFRPG Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<Level01>
<class>referenceindex</class>
<recordname>refPFL01Summon@PF Summonable Monsters</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Level 01 Summonable Monsters</name>
</Level01>
<Level02>
<class>referenceindex</class>
<recordname>refPFL02Summon@PF Summonable Monsters</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Level 02 Summonable Monsters</name>
</Level02>
</entries>
</PFSummonableMonsters>
</library>

<refPFL01Summon static="true">
<name type="string">Level 01 Summonable Monsters</name>
<index>
<CelestialDog>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Dog Example 1</name>
<type type="string">N Small animal</type>
<hd type="string">1d8+2</hd>
<speed type="string">40 ft.</speed>
<ac type="string">13, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +1 size)</ac>
<babgrp type="string">Base Atk +0; CMB +0; CMD 11 (15 vs. trip)</babgrp>
<atk type="string">bite +2 (1d4+1)</atk>
<fullatk type="string">bite +2 (1d4+1)</fullatk>
<spacereach type="string">5 ft./5 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string"></specialattacks>
<senses type="string">low-light vision, scent; Perception +8</senses>
<specialqualities type="string"></specialqualities>
<skills type="string">Acrobatics +1 (+9 jumping), Perception +8, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking)</skills>
<feats type="string">Skill Focus (Perception)</feats>
<environment type="string">any</environment>
<organization type="string">solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)</organization>
<treasure type="string">none</treasure>
<alignment type="string">N</alignment>
<leveladjustment type="string"> - </leveladjustment>
<strength type="number">13</strength>
<dexterity type="number">13</dexterity>
<constitution type="number">15</constitution>
<intelligence type="number">2</intelligence>
<wisdom type="number">12</wisdom>
<charisma type="number">6</charisma>
<fortitudesave type="number">+4</fortitudesave>
<reflexsave type="number">+3</reflexsave>
<willsave type="number">+1</willsave>
<hp type="number">6</hp>
<init type="number">+1</init>
<cr type="number">
</cr>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>This small dog has a rough coat and a hungry look in its dark brown eyes.</p>
<p>Racial Modifiers: +4 Acrobatics when jumping, +4 Survival when tracking by scent</p>
</text>
</CelestialDog>
</index>
</refPFL01Summon>
<refPFL02Summon static="true">
<name type="string">Level 02 Summonable Monsters</name>
<index>
<CelestialDog2>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Dog Example 2</name>
<type type="string">N Small animal</type>
<hd type="string">1d8+2</hd>
<speed type="string">40 ft.</speed>
<ac type="string">13, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +1 size)</ac>
<babgrp type="string">Base Atk +0; CMB +0; CMD 11 (15 vs. trip)</babgrp>
<atk type="string">bite +2 (1d4+1)</atk>
<fullatk type="string">bite +2 (1d4+1)</fullatk>
<spacereach type="string">5 ft./5 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string"></specialattacks>
<senses type="string">low-light vision, scent; Perception +8</senses>
<specialqualities type="string"></specialqualities>
<skills type="string">Acrobatics +1 (+9 jumping), Perception +8, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking)</skills>
<feats type="string">Skill Focus (Perception)</feats>
<environment type="string">any</environment>
<organization type="string">solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)</organization>
<treasure type="string">none</treasure>
<alignment type="string">N</alignment>
<leveladjustment type="string"> - </leveladjustment>
<strength type="number">13</strength>
<dexterity type="number">13</dexterity>
<constitution type="number">15</constitution>
<intelligence type="number">2</intelligence>
<wisdom type="number">12</wisdom>
<charisma type="number">6</charisma>
<fortitudesave type="number">+4</fortitudesave>
<reflexsave type="number">+3</reflexsave>
<willsave type="number">+1</willsave>
<hp type="number">6</hp>
<init type="number">+1</init>
<cr type="number">
</cr>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>This small dog has a rough coat and a hungry look in its dark brown eyes.</p>
<p>Racial Modifiers: +4 Acrobatics when jumping, +4 Survival when tracking by scent</p>
</text>
</CelestialDog2>
</index>
</refPFL02Summon>
</root>

Module https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16650435/PFRPG%20Summons.mod

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2012, 02:41
To use an index would involve a pretty radical departure from the parser output.. I'm trying to look for another way.
I guess I can't use entries within entries.
Hmm... maybe not.. hrm.

Griogre
August 12th, 2012, 03:00
It's because you want to use that intermediate window. The bestiary doesn't use one. Those lists by level of summon monsters means you need another level of depth. The embedding doesn't matter (entries with entries) because you can always combine or pull that stuff out, but once you start nesting that stuff past one level its very easy to make a mistake. You are getting confused on that because you need a entry within an entry inside of another entry.

I glanced at the PF Bestiary but I didn't see the summoned monsters in it or I would have just linked over to them. I was thinking though another approach would be to link to the monster from the spell it self. Put a link by each monster name in the spell itself and just pop the monster when they click on it. That way the spell is also the listing of monsters too.

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2012, 03:05
I think I have it now. The light came on somewhere halfway through my last post.

You're right that it would be great if it were built right into the spell.... but that involves changing a few things around specifically for these types of spells... there are a few of them.. but it involves the spells having a whole different structure from the others.

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2012, 06:28
BTW. Thanks a lot for the help. :)