PDA

View Full Version : Player cannot select character

Draeus
August 8th, 2012, 19:29
Hi,

FGII 2.9.1
Ruleset = BRP

Bit of a wierd one here...

Had a player try to enter the game on Monday for our regular Fantasy session. She announced that she could not see her character. This was fine, so I told her to log out I cleared ownership.

She re-entered and could see her character. She selected the character and Myself as GM and the other players could see her character at the top of the screen as normal. BUT her computer just seemed to hang in the character selection screen and was unable to play.

So she turns up for our BRP supers game on Wednesday and enters game fine.. no troubles at all.

Se we opened the Fantasy campaign and she still was unable to enter. So I had her delete the Cache for the fantasy game and she re-downloads the files and re-enters the game for a test run. She re-selects her character, I could see it on the screen but she still hung in the character selection window?

I dont know how to fix this .. she can enter one BRP game but not the other? All teh other players dont have troubles.

She has not altered any FGII files her side at all.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Draeus

Trenloe
August 8th, 2012, 19:52
I'd suggest initially trying a different character in the campaign where she has problems - perhaps make a basic one first.

If this works, then it will suggest that the character is the issue. If a basic one doesn't work then it might be something to do with their install locally. At least this will point towards where the issue is.

Also, check that the player has selected a "server" character and not a local one - there can sometimes be a local and server character with the same name.

Draeus
August 8th, 2012, 23:36
we havent tried the new character .. will give that a go. thx

Draeus
August 10th, 2012, 14:53
Ok,

She has tried to get into the game and create a new character within the campaign that she is having prolems getting into.

Results are the same.. her computer just hangs there. This is odd as getting into the supers game she is instantly in. and in the past she has had no troubles getting into the fantasy game.

We are now attempting for her to do a total re-install.. Drastic but at least we will see what happens.

The only other significant change on my behalf is that I upgraded to the full license a month ago.

Draeus
August 10th, 2012, 15:15
Ok she has re-installed and tried again.

She got an error saying:

Database Error: AXML parse error occured bla bla bla.. didnt get the rest of the message.

So I have a character who used to get in and now cant .. odd.. Is this a BRP problem? or a Fantasy Grounds II Problem.. Both cost me a lot of money. :(

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2012, 18:43
Try having her delete the "cache" subfolder within the FG Application Data Folder (available via the FG Start Menu group).

The XML parse error is thrown by FG when it attempts to process an XML file and the built-in XML parser fails. There is usually a file name, line number and error description with that error message as well.

If no one else gets the error, my guess is that there might be a corrupted cache file.

Regards,
JPG

Draeus
August 10th, 2012, 18:54
She has deleted the cache file in the appdata folder.

This made no difference. It was one of the first things we did :(

Trenloe
August 10th, 2012, 20:32
She has deleted the cache file in the appdata folder.

This made no difference. It was one of the first things we did :(
Try typing /flushdb as the gm in the chat window. This releases all players ownership on every object in your campaign. I'm thinking that just one player having the issue may be related to a corrupt object they own.

Then get the player to login and try again - after /flushdb has been executed.

Draeus
August 11th, 2012, 18:34
Hi,

Ok .. All fixed.

This is what the problem is.

The character seemed to have too many notes on their notes page of their character sheet. After she transfered them to notes in the notes button along right hand side of screen and redeuced the ammount of notes in her charcter sheet all was well.

Pretty lame bug .. but at least all is well. Off to post on BRP section as I believe this is BRP related only.

Didnt try the /flushdb .. wasn't sure if all teh players in the campaign would loose connection to their notes they have made through out the game.

Thank you to every one for you support and aid.