PDA

View Full Version : Test Release v2.9.2

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:30
FG v2.9.2 will be a combination of smaller feature improvements and bug fixes. If you have feature requests, please add them to our wish list in my sig.

As always, we're a small company so we rely on our community to help sound out each new release. Thanks in advance to all those who pitch in.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:31
Updates

Speed improvements through script loading optimizations.
UI scaling available between 50% and 200%
Added built-in "/scaleui #" chat command
[UPDATER] Add setting for default UI scale
[UPDATER] Add option to clear login
[DEV] formattedtextcontrol: Add widget support
[DEV] tokeninstance: Add widget support
[DEV] widgetbase: Add getName and setName functions
[DEV] windowcontrol: Add findWidget and getWidgets functions
Chat window graphical glitch occassionally occurs. Potentially fixed.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:34
If you are having errors on move or copy of the UpdaterEngine.exe file when updating, please give me any information you have on the configuration of the machine having the issue.

* OS
* User account rights (admin, minimal, somewhere between)
* Permissions popup when running updater from FG?
* Permissions popup when running updater from Start Menu?
* Does problem go away when running updater from Start Menu?
* Does problem go away when running updater as administrator (from Start Menu)?
* Any other information you can think of.

If you need to run the installer directly to bypass the updaterengine overwrite issue, you can find it at:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/beta/FGWebInstall.exe

Regards,
JPG

Dakadin
August 7th, 2012, 15:56
1. OS
2. User account rights (admin, minimal, somewhere between)
3. Permissions popup when running updater from FG?
4. Permissions popup when running updater from Start Menu?
5. Does problem go away when running updater from Start Menu?
6. Does problem go away when running updater as administrator (from Start Menu)?
7. Any other information you can think of.

1. Windows 7 Profession 64-bit with SP1
2. Administrator
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. It works if I run the updater manually after renaming the file to something else. My guess is it can’t write the new copy because it sees the current one in use.

Zeus
August 7th, 2012, 18:55
Updates

Speed improvements through script loading optimizations.
UI scaling available between 50% and 200%
Added built-in "/scaleui #" chat command
[UPDATER] Add setting for default UI scale
[UPDATER] Add option to clear login
[DEV] formattedtextcontrol: Add widget support
[DEV] tokeninstance: Add widget support
[DEV] widgetbase: Add getName and setName functions
[DEV] windowcontrol: Add findWidget and getWidgets functions
Chat window graphical glitch occassionally occurs. Potentially fixed.

Woohoo - token widgets and UI scaling. To the code mobile ...

Data, data, data, I cannot make bricks without clay! ;) moon - can I assume the standard widget methods now apply to token instances? Or are there new methods specific to this release?

Thanx Z.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 19:09
Standard widgetcontainer functions are now available on tokeninstance objects.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/widgetcontainer.xcp

Also, there are a couple new functions. Widgets have a getName and setName function. Widget containers have a findWidget (by name, if availble) and getWidgets (gets all widgets).

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
August 7th, 2012, 19:33
On Mac OSX 10.7.4 running under Wine 1.4.1 on an iMac running in 2560x1440, the new /scaleui command only works correctly when values of 100-200% are used. Values which decrease the scaling factor below 100% i.e. 50-99% result in blacked out graphics within part if the FGII window. e.g. if I scale down to 50% it results in the lower/right region of the FGII user interface window to be blacked out.

see attached image.

Regardless, at 50% the text and windowcontrols are rendered very small on the above resolution - would probably be microscopic on the newer Pro Books with Retina displays - and given I have a high resolution desktop already I doubt I will ever use lower than 100% but other users on laptops might so though you would want to know.

Scaling above 100% works fine.

Griogre
August 7th, 2012, 19:40
If you are having errors on move or copy of the UpdaterEngine.exe file when updating, please give me any information you have on the configuration of the machine having the issue.

* OS
* User account rights (admin, minimal, somewhere between)
* Permissions popup when running updater from FG?
* Permissions popup when running updater from Start Menu?
* Does problem go away when running updater from Start Menu?
* Does problem go away when running updater as administrator (from Start Menu)?
* Any other information you can think of.

If you need to run the installer directly to bypass the updaterengine overwrite issue, you can find it at:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/beta/FGWebInstall.exe

Regards,
JPG

I had some time and rolled back to the Dev version. I was able to reproduce the HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe) error.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Service Pack 1
Admin account
When I run the updater from the launcher I get the UAC permission pop-up.
When I run the updater from the Start Menu a console window pops and I get the UAC permission pop-up.
I get the same error when running from the start button updater.
When I run the updater from the Start button as Admin I still get the File Handle error.
I can't think of anything really strange about the computer other than its a development machine with VS 2008 and 2010 on it.

Dakadin
August 7th, 2012, 20:35
I can't think of anything really strange about the computer other than its a development machine with VS 2008 and 2010 on it.

I also have VS2008 and 2010 on my computer.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 20:56
Griogre/Dakadin,

Can you update to the Dev mode slot using the web installer? Then, turn on Debug mode, try to update back to Test mode slot, then send me the update.log file that is generated. ([email protected])

I just added some more debug data for that specific error to the updater in the Debug slot.

Thanks,
JPG

Dakadin
August 7th, 2012, 21:22
I get the same error. The update.log shows:

File error = Permission denied
I sent you the complete update.log.

Griogre
August 7th, 2012, 21:34
Sent you the update.log file. Got the Permission denied, as well.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 23:32
The updater was performing a case-sensitive comparison between the process name, the specified app path, and the file name on FG server. When there was a case-sensitive difference, the updater was trying to overwrite itself instead of using a temporary file.

Updates

[UPDATER] File overwrite error when updating updater in some situations. Fixed.

Regards,
JPG

Dakadin
August 7th, 2012, 23:36
Thanks JPG!

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2012, 23:38
Updates

Data from clients sometimes not updating on host when creating new records. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Public campaign records not visible if players open before GM in new campaign. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Item identification incorrect when adding campaign items to character sheet. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Armor table headers cut off. Fixed.
[DEV] Unique icons defined for every radial menu option.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2012, 00:31
Updates

Crash occurs when same formattedtext field edited by more than one person. Fixed.

JPG

GeneralChaos
August 9th, 2012, 07:21
On Mac OSX 10.7.4 running under Wine 1.4.1 on an iMac running in 2560x1440, the new /scaleui command only works correctly when values of 100-200% are used. Values which decrease the scaling factor below 100% i.e. 50-99% result in blacked out graphics within part if the FGII window. e.g. if I scale down to 50% it results in the lower/right region of the FGII user interface window to be blacked out.

I have a similar issue. The Background and windows are all fine, but the dice are not visible below a certain level (equal to the % of the ui) - 50% means dice are not visible in the bottom half of the FG window.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2012, 22:04
Yeah, the UI scaling is not quite working right for scaling < 100%. I need to fine-tune the system, and work out a few more items. I've mainly been using it for scaling up, since most people that are looking for scaling are scaling up to larger displays. (for desktop machines at least).

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2012, 23:40
Updates

Another crash condition located when multiple users edit the same formattedtextcontrol field. Fixed.
Dice displaying incorrectly while tabletop scaled when right clicking while dragging dice. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Radial menu appeared in wrong location while tabletop scaled when left clicking on CT menu button. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2012, 03:28
Updates

[DEV] registerMenuItem will now override system menus in any ruleset set to 2.9 compatibility mode or higher.
Dice not visible when UI scaling set to values less than 100. Fixed.
[DEV] widget.getName not working. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2012, 10:53
Updates

registerMenuItem override feature causing crashes, so reverting for now.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 21st, 2012, 22:47
Updates

Resizing FG window did not correctly update subwindow positions for panels. Fixed.
When Windows resets DirectX (i.e. UAC dialogs), FG stopped updating display. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 29th, 2012, 20:59
Updates

Add more diangostic info to log file during alias resolution and connection tests
[UPDATER] Cleaned up a few minor updater issues.
[LAUNCHER] Loading campaign via double-click on campaign name would not refresh alias.

JPG

GeneralChaos
September 3rd, 2012, 12:09
I found a cool error:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:230: bad argument #1 to 'sub' (string expected, got table)

Grabbed damage dice from a monster, right clicked for an extra die, held shift for critical, and dropped in the dice in the chat.

Edit: Extra dice from right-clicking did not appear in the results.

Blackfoot
September 6th, 2012, 02:15
In the PF/3.5 ruleset...
Damage for spell actions is not looking at effects when attempting calculating damage in some cases.
If I build a spell with:
#d# + 1xINT + #
Then add an effect to the character that improves INT by 4 (this should give an [EFFECTS +2] result) it does not add any effect bonus to the rolled damage. The effect works properly for skills but is not adding to damage for the spell.

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2012, 23:50
Note: I had to make a change to the network subsystem to support larger text fields. I would appreciate if you have a few minutes, if you can run a host and a client instance through a few paces on your local machine to make sure everything is running smoothly with the networking.

Updates

[3.5E] Ability effects will adjust spell save DC values when save vs. spell action activated.
[DEV] registerMenuItem functions will now override any menu, including system generated menus.
[DEV] Menu items will be built from top-down (control then window), instead of bottom-up (window then control), for rulesets with compatibility setting of v2.9 or higher.
Crash occurs when text fields exceed 8000 characters. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Clients unable to delete notes they own. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Script error when dropping dragged rolls with effects that add dice to the roll. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Script error or crash when advancing turn in CT and CT is empty. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error when automatic stabilization rolls enabled and current actor deleted in CT. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error when dropping dragged damage roll on chat window and SHIFT key pressed. Fixed.
[3.5E] Ability effects not adjusting spell damage rolls. Fixed.
[4E] Death saving throws not automatically rolled for PCs when automatic saving throws enabled for all actors. Fixed.
[DEV] Window list controls that are not read only and allow deletion wound not allow clients to delete records they own. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

GeneralChaos
September 10th, 2012, 00:45
No obvious problems running both on my own computer, have a sess tonight which should give it a better run.
Get text from client: portrait_id00001_chat when trying to enter over 8000 characters in a single line. GM gets portrait_gm_token. :)

I see you've cleared the error with the extra dice, but the extra dice aren't counted in the result, though they are rolled. (right-click extra dice + Crit damage)

Edit: Share Image button seems to be missing. @_@

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2012, 19:40
GeneralChaos,

I'm not sure I understand your comment on the 8000 characters.

Also, I was able to fix the script error for the damage dice, but including the extra dice in the damage roll is a fix for another version I think.

Working on the image share menu issue.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2012, 19:43
Updates

Share Sheet menu option missing from Image Sharing radial menu. Fixed.

I'm going to be running my game session tomorrow evening, and another one in 2 weeks. If everything goes well, I plan to release v2.9.2 after that.

Regards,
JPG

GeneralChaos
September 14th, 2012, 04:24
I was just reporting what happened when I tried to enter over 8000 characters. No crash, but the chat would say <player>: <player_portrait_number>. Not an issue, IMO.

I can live without right-click for extra dice. Shortcut to a DMG: 1dn in its place for vital strike (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final) attacks. If you're not familiar; they're helpful for offsetting the need for fighters (and other high BAB characters) to stand still to get off all of their attacks.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2012, 18:45
Didn't test the over 8000 characters in chat, so good to know. I was focused on the text fields and formattedtext fields, which are much easier to get over 8000 in a RP game.

JPG

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2012, 18:58
Updates

[UPDATER] More minor updater fixes
[3.5E] Spell sheet will switch to Standard mode when spell or spell class added.
Tokens not displayed correctly in token bags when scrolling. Fixed.
Navigating formattedtext fields with cursor keys did not scroll correctly. Fixed.

JPG

daumnation
September 17th, 2012, 16:32
The Last Update I did this morning completely wiped out all of my personal data from the roaming App Data folder, all my campaigns, all my assets everything. It is completely stock at this point. This represents an enormous set back for me...
All I did was open the program like any other time, select update as usual and with the same parameters I've been using since the launch of the updater I selected update. Now I literally have nothing that I created. Help?!:D

daumnation
September 17th, 2012, 17:58
Update, I have managed to restore my content from a previous backup but when I launch FG2.exe it doesn't show any of my created campaigns to load.

Moon Wizard
September 18th, 2012, 23:53
My guess is that the application or data directory paths got changed for some reason.

* What do the Settings say for your application and data directories?
* Also, what OS are you running?

My guess is that the FG content is still on your machine, but in a different directory. The updater will only remove files if you use it specifically to "uninstall".

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 18th, 2012, 23:54
Updates

[DEV] Drawing radial menu icon can be customized separately from other radial menu icons ("drawingmenu").
Crash on client when ruleset attempts to set value of database node owned by host. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Script error on player client in calendar window for new campaigns. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Incorrect Reset Calendar menu option in player calendar window. Fixed.

JPG

daumnation
September 21st, 2012, 00:36
You got it...it was a directory issue. Somehow my updater wasn't directed at my custom appdata location. So it recreated everything where it is supposed to go and my desktop icon was pointing to that default directory instead of my custom one. Thanks again.

Trenloe
September 24th, 2012, 04:29
A minor cosmetic issue with the 3.5E character sheet - one of the PF CMD fields isn't hidden when in 3.5E mode. Details and resolution here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17391

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2012, 03:40
Pretty good-sized update this time, since I fleshed out the token widget support by implementing token overlays in the 3.5E and 4E rulesets.

Updates

Support added for portraits in modules.
[3.5E/4E] Token overlays for name, health and effects.
[3.5E/4E] Add options to specify token overlays to apply.
[4E] In standard power display mode, checkboxes grayed out for Channel Divinity powers when limit reached.
[4E] Added fake die to hidden GM rolls for fixed NPC damage.
[DEV] DB - Add functions: addHandler, removeHandler
[DEV] tokeninstance - Add function: getSize
[DEV] widget - Add function: getPosition, setTooltipText
Bottom row of tokens in token bag drawing over quick bar. Fixed.
Chat frame incorrectly offset when player initiated vote. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Name tooltips of tokens in order tab not updating in party sheet when character names changed. Fixed.
[3.5E] CMD dodge field incorrectly displaying in 3.5E system mode. Fixed.
[4E] DMG effects were not applying to minion damage. Fixed.
[4E] SAVE rolls from chat window could no longer be dropped on specific effects in the CT. Fixed.
[DEV] onHoverUpdate event x and y parameters were not correct for tokens. Fixed.
[DEV] Crash occurred when hovering over tokens after reload. Fixed.
[DEV] widget.destroy not causing redraw event. Fixed.
[CHAR CONVERT] Damage reduction field in PCGen output sheet has incorrect field type for DR. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2012, 03:49
Also, if anyone is feeling graphically inspired, the condition overlays for the tokens could use some finesse. Graphic design is not my forte.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
October 5th, 2012, 08:27
Really cool update moon_wizard. Latest update clashes slightly with the Additional Wounds extension from Griogre and my Enhanced Token extension which introduces direction markers. So current versions will have to be updated for 2.9.2.

Here's a screenshot of the latest Token changes introduced by moon_wizard in 2.9.2. Screenshot shows Token Name Plates, Condition and Health status (Dot mode). Looks pretty good to me but might lead to overcrowded images when lots of conditions are in effect (pardon the pun).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/8055945607_4381aa9dcb_o.png

EDIT: Some more comments.
- At 12x12px - the available canvas limits the condition/effect widgets to 8bit style graphics (moon_wizard - I think improving on yours will be quite challenging)
- Using higher resolutions for the desktop forces DM/players to have to zoom in (or use /scaleui) in order to make out the conditions/effects
- I prefer the older token tooltips for names rather than the plates; whilst I am sure some may prefer them, conditions/effects and direction indicators are more important to me.
- I like the health bars but I think the dot mode works best as it leads to less clutter when tokens are closely positioned.
- Healthbar/dot and token/condition widgets shift relative position when the token is orientated to non NWSE directions i.e. NE, NW, SE and SW. This becomes worse if the token is irregular in dimensions.

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 10:11
Hey guys I was trying to test out 2.9.2 and FG2 crashes every time I open a game.
Anyone have any idea why that is?

damned
October 5th, 2012, 10:14
disable all extensions.
what ruleset?
loading an existing campaign or a new one?

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 10:31
disable all extensions.
what ruleset?
loading an existing campaign or a new one?

All extensions were off and ruleset was PFRPG/3.5E and new campain

Zeus
October 5th, 2012, 11:22
All extensions were off and ruleset was PFRPG/3.5E and new campain
I just fired up a new 3.5E/Pathfinder campaign using 2.9.2. I have one extension enabled (custom Pathfinder theme). All works well for me, no crashes.

Try re-updating to 2.9.2.

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 11:45
I just fired up a new 3.5E/Pathfinder campaign using 2.9.2. I have one extension enabled (custom Pathfinder theme). All works well for me, no crashes.

Try re-updating to 2.9.2.

Hey thanks i tried it with the dungeon theme on and no crashes.

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2012, 18:47
Djmaxx,

I was unable to recreate the crash on new campaign. Any chance you could create a campaign that crashes FG, then zip the campaign directory up and send to me at [email protected]?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2012, 18:57
DrZ,

Some response to your comments:

My retro-graphics style icons are okay, but someone with ideas for alternate icons for hard to see effects or just better looking graphics (shapes instead of pixels) would be great (even if just a few are replaced). Wanted to throw that out since I was not completely happy with the icons, but as you say, canvas is limited.
The widgets are only 12x12 in order to show about 3 on a 50x50 token or 4 on a 70x70 token. I tried 14,16,20, but they were too big relative to token.
One change I thought about after I made icons is to remove black border to gain 2 pixels in each direction for more space to work with when making condition markers. I haven't tried it yet, so not sure if that would look better or not.
No good solution on zooming in to see widgets better. If you make widgets bigger, the token is covered. I think the long term solution is to allow token "selection" or hover, which will display a token detail overlay or window.
The token name plates can be disabled in the options, and it will use the old style when disabled. (i.e. token tooltip for name)
Health bars and health dots are optional. I chose default options to match what I felt most GMs would want, but I'm open to discussion.
The token widgets are defined relative to token edges in order to position correctly for all tokens. When a token is rotated diagonally, it is technically a bigger image, which is what is used for widget layout. Not sure what the alternative would be unless widgets were oriented with the token also, which would seem strange if token upside down.

Regards,
JPG

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 22:02
i can try to.

what exactly do you need me to send this is my first time doing this.

[edit] I tried to get it to crash but no go i think that when i went from (test) to (live) that it might have fixed it because everything worked fine.

Torgaard
October 5th, 2012, 23:25
My retro-graphics style icons are okay, but someone with ideas for alternate icons for hard to see effects or just better looking graphics (shapes instead of pixels) would be great (even if just a few are replaced). Wanted to throw that out since I was not completely happy with the icons, but as you say, canvas is limited.
The widgets are only 12x12 in order to show about 3 on a 50x50 token or 4 on a 70x70 token. I tried 14,16,20, but they were too big relative to token.
One change I thought about after I made icons is to remove black border to gain 2 pixels in each direction for more space to work with when making condition markers. I haven't tried it yet, so not sure if that would look better or not.
No good solution on zooming in to see widgets better. If you make widgets bigger, the token is covered. I think the long term solution is to allow token "selection" or hover, which will display a token detail overlay or window.
The token name plates can be disabled in the options, and it will use the old style when disabled. (i.e. token tooltip for name)
Health bars and health dots are optional. I chose default options to match what I felt most GMs would want, but I'm open to discussion.
The token widgets are defined relative to token edges in order to position correctly for all tokens. When a token is rotated diagonally, it is technically a bigger image, which is what is used for widget layout. Not sure what the alternative would be unless widgets were oriented with the token also, which would seem strange if token upside down.

Couple things:

Are the 12x12 icon graphics just regular .png files?

and

I guess (in my mind) the ideal solution to the health "bar or dot" thing is to sorta go around the problem: have the semi-transparent green (ally) or red (enemy) background of the token squares be the thing that changes color.

Which of course brings up the natural reaction: well how would you know who's a good guy (green) and who's a bad guy (red)? I guess I want to respond with some food for thought in a couple directions:

Why should you know who's a good guy and who's a bad guy by the colored background? You can't tell just by lookin' at 'em? Important safety tip: the bad guy is the one trying stick his sword in yer brain. I dunno, I guess the background really isn't needed.
Maybe the thought is that the coloring is there to help people more easily identify who's friend or foe "at a glance"? I'd argue that's definitely not necessary. The guy with the portrait that looks suspiciously like a screenshot of Viggo Mortenson from LoTR, that you've been adventuring with for the past few months; he's the good guy. The portrait of the snarling red dragon: bad guy. :p

It occurs to be as I finish writing this that it's probably not even possible to do this (programatically) or would take too much time, so I'm probably yappin' away for nuttin. :)

Trenloe
October 5th, 2012, 23:32
Maybe the thought is that the coloring is there to help people more easily identify who's friend or foe "at a glance"? I'd argue that's definitely not necessary. The guy with the portrait that looks suspiciously like a screenshot of Viggo Mortenson from LoTR, that you've been adventuring with for the past few months; he's the good guy. The portrait of the snarling red dragon: bad guy. :p

The Faction colour (friendly, neutral, foe, no faction) is not just there to help identify friend or foe - which is a very useful piece of functionality when playing a one-shot game and you're not familiar with everyone's token picture by the way. :) It also adds functionality (depending on the ruleset) such as the "target all foes" or "target all allies" button, etc..

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2012, 00:15
Yes, the condition graphics are 12x12 PNG files. You can unzip the 3.5E.pak and/or 4E.pak rulesets to see them all (/graphics/token directory).

The current implementation of the faction underlays did darken the underlay for each stage of health for each token. However, due to the requirement that the underlays stay red, yellow or green to match their faction, the differences were too subtle for people to notice. My players never knew until I pointed it out, and even them they complained that it wasn't useful do to the subtleness.

Cheers,
JPG

Torgaard
October 6th, 2012, 02:58
Yes, the condition graphics are 12x12 PNG files. You can unzip the 3.5E.pak and/or 4E.pak rulesets to see them all (/graphics/token directory).

The current implementation of the faction underlays did darken the underlay for each stage of health for each token. However, due to the requirement that the underlays stay red, yellow or green to match their faction, the differences were too subtle for people to notice. My players never knew until I pointed it out, and even them they complained that it wasn't useful do to the subtleness.

Cheers,
JPG

Cool, thanks. I'll kinda poke around with it a little.

As to the faction underlays; I guess I'm proposing you eliminate faction coloring completely. I don't really see the point of it. It's overkill. I dunno, I guess in the games I've DM'd, I'm happy to report that none of my players are so out of tune with the narrative, with what's going on in the session, that they don't know who's a bad guy and who's not.

Let me put it this way: millions of RPG nerds (for decades) have managed to figure out which miniatures on their tabletop are the bad guys, and which are the good guys, without a colored underlay. Granted, we only have 2d images as opposed to 3d miniatures, but I can't see how that's relevant. Heck, with the updates in this thread; we now have the advantage of labels on our VTT.

No underlay: Full Health.
Blue underlay: 99% - 75% health.
Orange underlay: 74% - 50% health.
Red underlay: 49% - 25% health.
Black = Zero or Less than zero.

Edit: did my color chart wrong. Long day. :p

For selecting multiple tokens, or similar functionality; you could use like purple or white, or some color that isn't being used for health.

I dunno, just an idea. Just kinda lookin' to help free up some room around the edges of the token (for icons).

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2012, 08:54
Well, right now, the faction underlay is also a clear indicator of whether the token is linked to the combat tracker. So, I probably won't change it for this release.

There's a whole class of token specific changes I want to make that have been piling up. My original plan was to do a big release of token and map stuff, but it's a large project and there have always been other medium sized things that seem more important at the time. (like ruleset layering). So, I decided to start adding bits to the token and maps with each release to break the logjam.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
October 6th, 2012, 09:02
I was wondering if maybe all the conditions should go on the tooltip and have just a generic good/bad condition (or maybe just the best/worst) on the actual token to tell you to look at the tool tip. I'm really worried I'm going to end up with a lot of conditions on high level characters and they aren't going to fit. I like the dot color for health instead of the temperature line.

Edit, edit: I agree with DrZ. I think the name on the token *isn't* necessary.

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2012, 23:48
Well, the status icons are limited to 6 or whatever fits in the lower left bottom two-thirds of icon. After that, the effect "More" icon is added instead.

Based on your feedback so far, thinking of making dots the default for PCs and NPCs, and name plate off by default.

In my game, the names are actually very useful to help quickly identify which creature they are targeting. Of course, now that I think about it, this was in part caused by them trying to figure out which one is wounded or affected by others by using name to look up on CT. With the health and effect indicators, perhaps it's unnecessary.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
October 7th, 2012, 01:10
Unfortunately I normally use a 25 pixel grid map grid and when you add the second effect it just goes to multiple conditions. That's why I was suggesting you put all the condition icons in the token tooltip. My guys don't usually have a problem with monster names since I usually put a random number at the end them (I didn't do that for the sample combat in the test campaign) and I think they just use the tool tips to check who's who.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/TokenCondition.png

damned
October 7th, 2012, 01:22
No underlay: Full Health.
Blue underlay: 99% - 75% health.
Orange underlay: 74% - 50% health.
Red underlay: 49% - 25% health.
Black = Zero or Less than zero.

Edit: did my color chart wrong. Long day. :p

I think it might still be wrong :)
what happens if I have 20% health?
Also maybe that gives too much assistance to players - Maybe 75-100%, 50-74%, < 49%?

Moon Wizard
October 7th, 2012, 09:04
Updates

[3.5E] Added PFRPG core magic items module.

JPG

Moon Wizard
October 7th, 2012, 09:21
Griogre,

I knew that the token size issue was going to be an issue, since everyone runs their tokens with different sizes (32x32, 50x50 and 70x70; and that's just for Medium size creatures in D&D). That's why I chose a method that can dynamically adapt. Of course, 25x25 was a bit smaller than I anticipated. ;)

At first, I thought you wanted the effect text in the token tooltip, but that didn't seem right. I can hide the condition markers until you hover over token, but that doesn't solve the problem for 25x25 tokens. Right now, token tooltips only support text. In the short term, the only option I can think of is to include the effect text in the token tooltip along with the name as a possible campaign option.

Just brainstorming, it seems like there are a few things that can be looked at long term:
* Token widget scaling separate from tokens. The challenge would be in how to present interface to control feature.
* A separate "unit" detail window. This would only appear on hover, until "selection" is added. If overlay on map, it would disappear when you stopped hovering. So, you could see effect graphics, but not get details. If implemented as separate window it could remember last hover. (not great either, since tokens could be clustered causing frustration when it changes as you mouse over other tokens.) Thinking this will have to wait until token "selection" feature built.

A token "selection" feature is something we've been thinking heavily about for short term improvement in order to better support touch interfaces. (i.e. no hover option)

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
October 7th, 2012, 18:13
Moon_Wizard, just brainstorming, but the PC Portraits on the desktop never change in size and are easily visible to all players. I'm not sure what to do on the monsters. I do think that, unfortunately, to keep map file sizes down that most grids are actually smaller than token sizes. I do use a 32x32 tokens but use a 25 pixel grid and I'm pretty sure there are people with 50x50 that use a 30 or 40 pixel grid.

What I was thinking about the tooltip was that instead of just saying multiple the tool tip would say all the effects. The only one effect is really a problem because just with their resistances a fair amount of PCs aways have several effects on them

Blackfoot
October 7th, 2012, 18:19
He does have a good point.. with map scaling being controlled by everyone independently ... (a really cool feature by the way) ... maps are all over the place scale wise.

Moon Wizard
October 7th, 2012, 19:21
I actually run with my grids at 20, and tokens at 70x70 in my games. Since the scale can be set between them, I save transfer size on the maps, but allow extra detail in the tokens.

Griogre, are you thinking something like the following for a tootltip? Or did you have a suggestion for the text format of the tooltip? It seems like it would get overwhelming fast in a 4E game.

Rot Slinger Decayer
IMMUNE: disease; IMMUNE: poison; RESIST: 10 necrotic
Prone
Marked
ATK: -2; DMG: -2

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
October 8th, 2012, 05:46
Griogre, are you thinking something like the following for a tootltip? Or did you have a suggestion for the text format of the tooltip? It seems like it would get overwhelming fast in a 4E game.

Rot Slinger Decayer
IMMUNE: disease; IMMUNE: poison; RESIST: 10 necrotic
Prone
Marked
ATK: -2; DMG: -2

Yes, that was what I was thinking. It might be clunky but I've seen paragraph sized tooltips that aren't really a problem. I pretty sure you would very rarely see more than about nine effects and if you could get about 2.5 lines in the height of a cursor I think it might work out. The vertical stacking of effects is easy to see at a glance.

I think just making the bottom left corner of the token the "condition" hotspot when there are effects on the token, instead of making individual effects icons hotspots might be a bit more intuitive as well and a bit less fiddly. I didn't realize at first that each condition icon had a separate tooltip.

Moon Wizard
October 8th, 2012, 06:39
OK, I already started refactoring the code to allow tooltip support for the token information.

I originally had each component of an effect be it's own unique icon, but it was way too many icons (which is essentially the same problem you are presenting but at another level).

I like your idea of a single icon with a tooltip showing all effects. I'll have to see if I can work that in easily.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2012, 06:25
At this point, I am considering this release feature complete. Please let me know if you run a game with the test version (or perform any in-depth testing) and which ruleset you used.

I have a game this Wednesday evening, and will be testing 3.5E (PFRPG).

Updates

[3.5E/4E] Refactored options to support more use cases
[3.5E/4E] Grouped token options into their own section of the options window
[3.5E/4E] Tooltip setting added to all token options
[3.5E/4E] Single icon setting added to token effects display which will display all effects in a tooltip when hovering over icon.

Thanks,
JPG

GeneralChaos
October 11th, 2012, 01:49
I ran a session last night, Pathfinder ruleset.

Got an error when accessing the Combat page of any character sheet:
Script Error: [string "charsheet/scripts/charsheet_tabcombat.lua"]:48: attempt to call field 'setvisible' (a nil value)

Something to do with the Dodge field, which I can see fine.

Played around with the new token options...
I've found rotating tokens can cause problems being able to further rotate or click on them (I'm using figure tokens, not round ones) and haven't had this level of trouble before.

Players: health bar + tooltip effects
Enemies: health dot + status icons

The health bar variant impedes the visibility of the tooltip function. I noticed it's linked to token size, so a tall thin token might be almost totally covered - and mousing over the health bar gives (healthy/wounded/etc. - replacing effects which I'm more interested in. One player's token who has a back banner has a much longer health bar than other players. I suspect this is a "can't please everyone" thing, but I think I'd like the health point linked to the size of the creature (5', 10', 15', etc. - based on the tracker) - so that it always sits in the corner of the square.

The title name plate I also found was unforgiving of name length. Seems to only fit about 6 characters. I'd use it if it could fit more (somehow!)

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2012, 02:13
Thanks for the feedback. I already located the script error issue.

One challenge of using top-down tokens with no background is that FG currently does not treat transparent space as a token hit when determining whether an action (click, wheel) is performed on a token. It has always been this way, since I took over the code. I always thought this was strange, since it could be very easy to "miss" the non-transparent regions on some tokens. Maybe I'll try changing to including transparent regions in token detection for next iteration.

On the tokens, it really is a challenge, since everyone uses different token types and sizes. The widget to token scale is 1 to 1; and the widgets are 12x12 for effects, 20x200 for health bar and 20x20 for health dot. Currently, the widgets are placed to look good with 50x50 or 70x70 tokens. How big are the tokens you are using? I might need to get a screenshot to truly understand. I'm assuming that your tokens are smaller than 50x50, which could make it seem that the widgets are dominating the tokens. If you scale your tokens using CTRL+mouse wheel, do the widgets look better?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 11th, 2012, 02:15
EDIT: :bandit: Ninja'd by MW! :)

Got an error when accessing the Combat page of any character sheet:
Script Error: [string "charsheet/scripts/charsheet_tabcombat.lua"]:48: attempt to call field 'setvisible' (a nil value)

Something to do with the Dodge field, which I can see fine.
Code was added to do with the CMD dodge field still being visible in 3.5E mode: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17391

However, the code at line 48 has a typo - it should be

cmdacdodge.setVisible(bPFMode);
But it is:

cmdacdodge.setvisible(bPFMode);
Change the "v" to upper case and it works

GeneralChaos
October 11th, 2012, 05:48
Screenshot (https://general-chaos.com/image.png)

I don't use square or circle tokens (I guess I'm a bit special?) - but I keep the tokens to scale, a human being approximately 55-60pix tall, with room for a weapon. Some characters quite thin, others wider (such as the druid with a staff). A'nieka is taller than others, thanks to her banner, and has a like taller HP bar. Could be just something I have to live with. :)

The titles are wonkier than I recalled during my earlier post, but appear to be related to the width of the token - title width being as wide as the token or name, whichever is smaller.
Gildon is quite thin, and only gets 3 visible letters.
Aryssa is wide thanks to her staff gets all 6.
Abyss Hound again quite wide gets 7 out of 12.

Griogre
October 11th, 2012, 20:51
One challenge of using top-down tokens with no background is that FG currently does not treat transparent space as a token hit when determining whether an action (click, wheel) is performed on a token. It has always been this way, since I took over the code. I always thought this was strange, since it could be very easy to "miss" the non-transparent regions on some tokens. Maybe I'll try changing to including transparent regions in token detection for next iteration.
The original owners did the pass through on clicking for tokens because of tokens like GeneralChaos' where you can have several overlapping tokens and you could not click the a PC one because it would be under a GM token like that large troll in his screen shot. It also allows you to do area effect tokens like the blue and green boxes:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/TransparentTokens2.png

These are 50x50 scale tokens with all tokens square. The Carrion Crawler, Dragon and Earth Titan are 3x3 and the Angel is 2x2. For example that PC token by the carrion crawler and angel is overlapped by both monsters. A player could not move that token and even a GM would have a difficult time if transparent click through was not allowed. That fighter would have a problem in the AoE square would have a problem unless he was lowest in the Z order.

Edited for Angle, er Angel :p

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2012, 21:47
GeneralChaos,

Thanks for the picture, that helps me understand.

Based on Griogre's information, I think the best approach is to have you square off your tokens with transparent regions, this should help with the name plates as well as the health bar overlap.

The challenge is that the tokens that you are using are thin rectangular shapes (tall and narrow). The widgets are currently limited to full behavior (i.e. tooltips) when they are over the token, so they need to overlap the base token dimensions (which is why the name plate is limited to token width, also so that multiple creature numbering can be positioned and displayed consistently). Also, this is to prevent widgets from overlapping and obscuring other tokens when they are closely packed. Even going forward, I think that this is the best approach given that most tokens are squared or wider rectangles.

I will also hold off on the transparency change, since this will negatively impact transparent token users in other ways. In fact, I'm not sure what the best approach is given these competing priorities (determining "hit" minus transparency vs. accessibility of overlapping tokens).

Regards,
JPG

GeneralChaos
October 12th, 2012, 03:38
I'd say access to overlapping tokens is way more important than tokens that rotate properly. I mostly use rotation to show prone anyway, and there's an icon for that now. :)

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2012, 20:56
Updates

[3.5E/4E] When using token effect icons and the effects exceed token width, the More effects icon will now provide a list of effects in the tooltip.
[3.5E] Script error on character combat tab. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Health bar positioning wrong on tokens larger than 200 pixels. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2012, 20:58
Also, I took another take on the condition icons without the border, and thus slightly bigger graphics with the extra 2 pixels I gained in each dimension.

What do you think?

I am also attaching an extension that will let you try the alternate icons with your own campaign on v2.9.2.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
October 13th, 2012, 03:50
Cleaner looking with the border... but that might just be the graphics you are working with. There are ways to make small icons look a bit more flashy so they stand out cleanly without adding borders. Highlights and shadows will have a similar effect and feel like they are more part of the image... making the graphic feel bigger. It likely still absorbs a couple pixels all the way around the image... but probably incorporates the image color. I'm not really sure if it would look 'better' or not without mocking some up.

adminwheel3
October 13th, 2012, 04:33
I agree for what it's worth. The border is a cleaner option, even if you do lose 2 px on the graphic.

JohnD
October 13th, 2012, 05:40
Also, I took another take on the condition icons without the border, and thus slightly bigger graphics with the extra 2 pixels I gained in each dimension.

What do you think?

I am also attaching an extension that will let you try the alternate icons with your own campaign on v2.9.2.

Regards,
JPG

Off topic question but which token pack do those ones you're using in this latest attachment come from?

I like the look and would consider forking out more for further tokens in a similar style.

Griogre
October 13th, 2012, 18:42
Those are Fiery Dragon Tokens, I use them for my games. You can look at some more samples here - Its a PDF for use in face to face games but the art is the same. https://www.rpgnow.com/product/56039/H1---Castle-Of-Shadows?cPath=50_4889
For VTTs you want the digital images though, which are what Smiteworks has in its store. I don't use the flame bordered ones myself though.

Moon Wizard
October 13th, 2012, 20:20
Yeah, those are the Fiery Dragon token packs that we sell in the store.

It sounds like people prefer the borders on the condition icons. I was torn between the 2, since even a couple pixels added more detail to the icons but I liked having the borders.

Blackfoot, I agree about the other alternatives. There are other methods but they eat up just as many pixels (if not more) than borders at that size (12x12).

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
October 14th, 2012, 13:13
Not sure if this has been reported earlier, but in the current test version I can't seem to remove damage dice from a weapon. I seem to recall that I could do this earlier, but now the only solution seems to be deleting and recreating the weapon.

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2012, 19:39
Updates

Removed portrait module support; Added portrait pack support (.ppk files in portraits folder, just image files in archive, ZIP format)
Portrait directories support added.
[3.5E/4E] Portrait directory and pack support added.
[3.5E/4E] Minor token condition graphic changes.
[DEV] Controls can now delete themselves or close their parent windows on mouse actions.
[DEV] diebox - Added font.modifier, font.total and font.dieresult tags
[DEV] portraitselectioncontrol - setFile function no longer strips directory information
[DEV] windowcontrol - Added getTooltipText function; Added tooltip.nodelay tag
[DEV] widgetbase - Added getTooltipText function
[3.5E/4E] Unable to clear dice fields within powers and spells. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] When creating custom skills, they would be marked as non-custom on next load if same name as standard skill. Fixed.
[3.5E] When creating sub-skills, the skill would not show up correctly on other machines with same sheet open. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error when setting duration modifier to ability score on NPC sheet. Fixed.
[4E] Script error when trying to show health bars. Fixed.
[DEV] All onClickRelease events not returning correct button value when 4th and 5th mouse buttons clicked. Fixed.

JPG

daumnation
October 17th, 2012, 00:24
Since the Last update, well...not today's but the one before I have been having FGII crash to desktop often when in the process of rotating a token using the mouse to do so. Doesn't happen every time but very often.

daumnation
October 17th, 2012, 00:36
Just happened again...went to rotate a stirge a Devin Knight overhead token and the program just blew up. Window pops up and says FGII has stopped working please wait while windows doesn't find a solution.

9:10 just turned (rotated stirge) just one turn and FG blew up. Seems I just can't rotate tokens.

9:28 went to rotate a rug and it done crashed.

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2012, 01:51
Thanks for the report. I haven't rotated a token since I added the condition icons. ;)

I'll probably be able to recreate, but what ruleset and extensions are you using just in case?

Thanks,
JPG

Iceman
October 17th, 2012, 13:06
Since I cannot create a map link that goes to an external PDF or Word doc I would request that you add two features to the NOTE function:

First allow us to add tabs at the bottom like we can with images so it can be better organized. Would be nice if a 'tooltip' appeared on that tab just like it does when you hover your mouse over a pushpin on the map.

Secondly allow us to ID flavortext within the note so a section of it can be easily dragged and dropped onto the chatbox. Would be a great help in organizing large campaigns, like mine!

**optionally I could just email you the several hundred pages I have and you could enter it for me??**
:D

Trenloe
October 17th, 2012, 13:16
Since I cannot create a map link that goes to an external PDF or Word doc I would request that you add two features to the NOTE function:

First allow us to add tabs at the bottom like we can with images so it can be better organized. Would be nice if a 'tooltip' appeared on that tab just like it does when you hover your mouse over a pushpin on the map.

Secondly allow us to ID flavortext within the note so a section of it can be easily dragged and dropped onto the chatbox. Would be a great help in organizing large campaigns, like mine!

**optionally I could just email you the several hundred pages I have and you could enter it for me??**
:D
Is this player or GM functionality?

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2012, 20:49
You can do this right now with the story entries as a GM. As Trenloe asked, is this something for players? Can you give me a couple examples?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to tabs in images. Are you talking about the hot keys (F1-F12) on the bottom, or something else?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2012, 20:59
Has anyone else seen the token mouse wheel crash issue?

Daumnation,

I wasn't able to recreate the mouse wheel crash, nor spot any obvious situations where it crashes. So, I would like to gather more information.

Which ruleset and extensions are you using?
What action were you trying to perform? (rotate token, scale token, or something else?)
Were you holding any modifier keys (SHIFT, ALT, CTRL) when you used the mouse wheel on the token?
Was this token linked to the combat tracker? Or stand alone?

Thanks,
JPG

GeneralChaos
October 17th, 2012, 22:45
One of my players had a crash last night when I rotated his token early in the session (happened within 5 seconds) but did not occur again, despite further rotations during the next few hours.

Another player got a series of script errors.
Once~ [string "charsheet/scripts/charsheet_skillist.lua"]:17: attempt to call field 'addHandler' (a nil value)
Repeatedly [string "scripts/manager_token.lua"]:827: attempt to call field 'findWidget' (a nil value)
Also same error with line 407.
Only affected one player, so it might have been just his computer failing somewhere.

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2012, 23:03
I had a player that got the same kind of script errors, until I forced him to go update again. Once he updated to the latest v2.9.2 version, the issues went away.

Regards,
JPG

daumnation
October 18th, 2012, 01:13
4e was the Ruleset
Only extension is Languages
I was rotating a token
there were no modifiers
tokens that caused crash were both part of Combat Tracker and not

I have another session tonight so I'll let you know how that goes.

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2012, 04:26
Hmm, still can't reproduce with 3.5E or 4E. Maybe I'm not following the same steps you are. If it happens again, can one of you guys try and remember what you were doing right before and see if you can recreate?

Here's what I have tried
* Tried with and without a player connected and viewing map
* Tried with a standard image map and a drawing only map
* Tried with tokens linked to CT (with widgets) and unlinked tokens
* Tried rotating from player and GM

Maybe some more questions will help tease out the condition:
* Were they trying to rotate the same token at same time?
* Which token set are you using? Or did you make your own?
* How big is the token file you were using when it crashed?
* Are you using the new token widgets options? Which option settings?
* Was the token targeted? (Colored circle around token)
* Was the token the active entry in the CT?

Thanks,
JPG

daumnation
October 18th, 2012, 05:49
Ok game ended with a crash for the only combat of the night. It was an unexpected combat so I started creating a map from scratch.
Here are the steps leading up to it.
I went to MM2 module to grab the sycthclaw drake. Dropped him into a new encount er and sent it to the Combat tracker. I grabbed the 3 PCs from their portraits in the upper left corner and dragged them into the combat tracker. Then I created a new map and just made a grid and placed 4 standard Letter Tokens, D, V, S and T. Then I dragged those tokens onto the corresponding characters in the tracker. I then adjusted the size of a couple with control mouse wheel action and locked the tokens and size. At that point I went to move a token and I think I accidentally rotated it at which point the program crashed. It is worth noting that I used a different campaign this time and it still happened. Also, I used no map background only had a grid and 4 stock Letter Tokens. No extensions...nothing. I'm gonna roll back to normal instead of test mode tomorrow and see if continues.

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2012, 08:17
Thanks for the detailed reply. I just tried to recreate the issue by following your steps with one of my campaigns, but no luck. I need to think about it a bit, to see if I can brainstorm what might cause the issue.

Also, it might be useful to get a copy of your campaign directory zipped up and sent to me ([email protected]). Then, I can use the exact same information as you have.

Thanks again,
JPG

Blackfoot
October 18th, 2012, 15:51
Minor typo in the PFRPG Basic Rules (they may have changed this recently.. I dunno) the cost of a 'Buckler' is listed as 15 gp and it should be 5 gp according to the Paizo PRD.

Zeus
October 20th, 2012, 01:02
Not a problem with 4E under 2.9.2 strictly speaking as this is also true for 2.9.1.

Players no longer have access to the 4E Tables window list (button is missing) thus previously shared 4E Tables are not accessible to view by players unless re-shared by the DM.

I meant to highlight this a while back but forgot.

GeneralChaos
October 22nd, 2012, 11:06
Still getting that script error... It's more often than not, but not always: The players (two now, up from 1) do not see the health bars/dots.
Got them both to update again, no change. It did work for both of them earlier in the night.

Blackfoot
October 24th, 2012, 23:47
I don't know if this one has been reported yet or not...
In the PF/3.5 Ruleset
When you change increase your stats, the DCs for spells do not change unless you go into the spell modifier bucket and click through the stats on the actions tab.

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2012, 21:13
DrZ,

I haven't specifically tested to see if tables work correctly for players once shared, since the my assumption was that they are GM only. Not sure that I should enable at this point, given that consideration.

GeneralChaos,

I'm not clear what is causing the script error at this point, unless the user is not on the latest test version. Those error messages indicate that those functions do not exist. The script functions mentioned in the errors exist in v2.9.2, but not in v2.9.1; which would cause those errors. If he has double and triple checked the version number on the launcher screen is correct, I would try deleting his cache folder next.

Blackfoot,

Thanks for the report. I'll look into it.

JPG

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2012, 21:14
For everyone, I am still trying to track down what might be causing the token crash issue reported by a couple people. If you have encountered this issue, please let me know. This is really the only thing I am holding up v2.9.2 release at this point.

Thanks,
JPG

Bidmaron
November 1st, 2012, 02:47
JPG, it seems like whenever someone makes an extension to add new capability, the rulesets have to be modified to permit exporting the new node type into a module. What if we had an attribute for any db first level node that is something like 'exportable,' that, when set True, causes the rulesets to put a selection box in the export window for that node, thus allowing rulesets to export new material without knowing what it is by simply checking 1st level nodes to see if they are 'exportable?'

unerwünscht
November 1st, 2012, 08:37
Ok Moon. Using the 3.5 Ruleset with no extensions at all, I can reliably cause FG to crash by opening a new image file, creating a 50 point square grid, placing a token on the image and then left shift + mouse wheel over the token. It doesn't always crash right away, but always crashes for me within a full spin of the mouse wheel. Done it roughly 30 times now.

daumnation
November 2nd, 2012, 18:15
Also for my Token rotation crash issue I sent you a personal email with the files you requested.

unerwünscht
November 2nd, 2012, 21:22
I have had a chance to test this on 3 computers now. One Win XP, one Win7 32bit and one Win7 64. I get the same results on all of them. Using different tokens every time so I don't think it has anything to do with the tokens themselves. However I did realize while posting this that all tokens in question were .png with transparency. If I remember to later I will check with square .jpg tokens.

Moon Wizard
November 9th, 2012, 23:47
Thanks guys, I have been on a crazy travel schedule, and did not have Internet access for a while. I think I have found the issue. I'm not sure why this has not always been an issue, but reorganizing the code near the token rotation code must have changed some sort of instruction ordering.

I plan to post an update shortly to address. Please check it out and let me know if you are still seeing issue.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2012, 01:11
Updates

Crash occurred when rotating tokens with transparency. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E] Added tables button to player desktop.
[3.5E] Spell DCs not updating when ability score bonus changed. Fixed.
[3.5E] Buckler cost wrong in PFRPG Basic Rules module. Fixed.

JPG

Bidmaron
November 10th, 2012, 04:55
JPG, did you notice my recommendation a few posts up?

Also, is it too late to request a way to find the topmost window in z order (or is there some trick to do this)?

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2012, 19:09
I saw your suggestion. Unfortunately, all the export window code for defining how records are exported is actually written in the ruleset code, not in the FG client code. Most of the newer rulesets have been written to allow registration of exportable record types relevant to the game system. Even if I added some sort of internal support, the older rulesets would still have to be rewritten to take advantage.

I'm trying not to add anything at this point, only squash bugs, given that I wanted to push this release last month. My travel schedule plus some bugs I felt required attention are what is holding it up. There is a class of features that are on my internal feature list for managing windows better, but you should add to wish list too.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2012, 20:00
Updates

Sharing windows would not reopen minimized (or soft closed) windows on target machines. Fixed.
[DEV] Crash could occur after self-deletion in databasenode script events. Fixed.

JPG

Blackfoot
November 10th, 2012, 20:39
We are seeing a lot of crashes involved in sharing with 2.9.1 (primarly in the PF ruleset.. can't speak as much for the others)... has this been addressed in the new rev? I thought I'd seen some discussion about it previously so I haven't really mentioned it.

Unfortunately I don't have any files or specifics... I can try and come up with something next time I see it...

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2012, 22:55
Blackfoot,

Just did some searches on the forum. There were a couple reports of crash situations in June and August, just prior to 2.9.1. Also, neither of the posters provided any details to follow up.

So, I'm not sure if the issues you are seeing are fixed or not, since I have not gotten any information.

If you can get me any information on what you were doing at the time of the crashes (sharing window via radial menu, manipulating shared window, closing shared window, moving tokens on shared image, etc.) as well as the ruleset/extensions used and the window type causing the crash; I will hopefully be able to recreate and turn around a fix shortly.

If I can't get info or reproduce in the next week or two, I'll probably push to a v2.9.3 fix.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
November 11th, 2012, 01:00
I will see what I can get the next time it happens.
It is definitely an issue in 2.9.1 in 3.5/PF .. I know it has occurred when multiple users (specifically the host and a player) are accessing a shared item. I've seen it with shared NPCs and with shared Items... maps and images seem to be more stable.
I know we had it in a game where I was sharing an NPC with a player, I'd drop the NPC on the player and he would crash... I've also seen it where the GM was allowing edit access to an Item and the whole server would crash.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 05:01
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a shared editing issue, versus an share/open/close issue.

Any information on which fields were being edited, and whether both the host and the player were both viewing/editing at the same time would be very useful as well.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
November 11th, 2012, 05:57
The NPC that was being shared was pulled from the PF bestiary and loaded into the campaign NPCs then dragged to the PC it worked fine for part of the time but it got closed and had to be reshared.. after that it would cause the player's client to crash when it was shared...

The Item editing.. was a separate issue... but also a sharing crash... an item was being edited on the PC/client side... I think the description field... the GM/host was probably viewing it at the same time.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 06:05
Awesome detail. Let me try to reproduce here.
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 09:44
Updates

[UPDATER] Added automatic retry for failed file downloads.
Crash could occur when quick drawing pointer with both mouse buttons while in mask removal mode. Fixed.
[UPDATER] Unable to enter text longer than text field in the Settings screen. Fixed.
[DEV] Right edge of frame definition using Y value for left edge for drawing. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 21:03
Blackfoot,

Just tested the items you mentioned for the crashes, but I was unable to recreate. If there is any way to see if you can recreate using the same campaign in a repeatable manner, please let me know.

Also, if you want to send me the campaign directory from the GM machine ([email protected]), and tell me which windows in particular crashed, I can try again using your data.

Here's what I did using 2 instances on same machine:

NPC window
* Opened NPC from campaign list on GM machine
* Dragged link to character portrait to share with player
* Player was unable to edit, since it is a read-only node.
* I edited both the string fields on the main tab, and the formattedtext field on the other tab.
* Closed window on GM (which closed on player screen also, since NPC is not normally a sharable record)
* Opened same NPC
* Dragged link onto character portrait again to reshare
* Tried more edits to fields on Main and Other tabs

Item window
* Shared item record from campaign list using radial menu share option
* Edited string and formattedtext fields.
* Closed and reopened on both GM and client
* Edited more fields

Item window 2
* Opened item record from character sheet inventory
* Set item to allow PCs to edit
* Edited string and formattedtext fields on both client and GM while viewing on the other

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
November 12th, 2012, 01:24
Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to try and recreate it. I have seen it in a few games and heard about it in a few others, I know the details about the 2 cases I mentioned because they related to me specifically, the NPC being in a game I hosted.
As far as that goes.. I know the NPC was in the tracker, on a map, and had been renamed...
I haven't seen this occur in my last few sessions... I will try and force it to happen as soon as I get a chance.

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 03:56
This has happened to me quite a lot. It happens with sharing npc sheets and items with players. There is also a similar issue when sharing story items occasionally.
This also happens with the wfrp 3 ruleset but also affects text fields on character sheets, so if they are modified, crashes occur.
I will recreate this and send you the campaign file when i get back to my pc if it helps. I get back up db files after the crashes.

Moon Wizard
November 12th, 2012, 04:06
That would be great. Also, the steps you follow to recreate the issue are key to figuring out, since the campaign files will only give me the campaign info since the last load/auto-backup.

Thanks,
JPG

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 17:20
Ok, I have sent an email with the campaign files etc. If you need any more info, just let me know :)

Blackfoot
November 12th, 2012, 22:22
Attempted to recreate and succeeded on my first attempt... and it seems to happen every time... with a variety of NPCs and PCs. Doesn't matter whether the NPC is set to friendly or not.

Here are the steps I went through:

Load host.
Join host from separate computer and select PC.
Host shares NPC with PC... (by dragging NPC to PC icon)
Drag NPC and PC to tracker. (This can happen before or after the NPC is shared.. same result)
Close NPC.
Drag NPC from tracker to PC to reshare.
BOOM.. client crashes.

JohnD
November 12th, 2012, 22:42
Had this happen once as well a while ago... didn't realize it until Blackfoot just posted his 7 steps.

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2012, 01:43
Hmm. I'll be glad when I catch this one. It's slippery.

I can't get those steps to recreate in an empty campaign. I also tried using the Prindlemire PC and Zombie Bugbear NPC from the Black Waters campaign. Skellan mentioned that he was editing a field during his crash.

* Shared NPC by dragging onto portrait.
* Opened CT
* Dragged NPC and PC onto CT
* Closed NPC on client (also tried closing on host)
* Re-shared NPC by dragging onto portrait from CT (also tried dragging from campaign list)

If you are using a campaign other then Black Waters to reproduce using your steps above, can you send me a copy of the campaign folder? If Black Waters, which PC and NPC?

Going to try the editing steps Skellan mentioned in his email later tonight.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 03:34
I tried it again with a blank campaign... same results.. V2.9.1 PF ruleset.

GM created a blank character...
Player joined.
Dragged player to tracker from desktop.
Added monster from PFRPG Bestiary to campaign NPCs
Dragged NPC to tracker.
Dragged NPC to from tracker to player.
Closed NPC.
Dragged NPC to from tracker to player again.
BOOM... the client crashes.

Could this issue already be fixed in 2.9.2?

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2012, 06:35
Heh, I thought we were already talking about v2.9.2, so I've been trying to test with that version. Apparently, it's already fixed, since I quickly recreated with v2.9.1.

Cheers,
JPG

Dakadin
November 13th, 2012, 07:03
The latest update seems to have impacted control frames. The upper right corner gets shown twice. One is at the normal position. The other is slightly below it. I saw the issue in Rolemaster Classic, Savage Worlds, Castles & Crusades, and Mutants & Masterminds. I didn't see it in 3.5E, Pathfinder or 4E. It is easiest to see on the character sheet in the container frames. I've included a screenshot from Savage Worlds.

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2012, 18:12
Interestingly enough, it's actually correct based on the SW frame definition for sheetgroup. Because of the long-running bug regarding the right edge of the frames, it was using a different value than what was defined for the right edge Y offset in the ruleset.

For the framedef for "sheetgroup", change

<right rect="530,0,17,512" />

to

<right rect="530,18,17,512" />

I'll report it to PhantomWhale.

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
November 13th, 2012, 21:43
Good thing we're already looking at a v3.3.1 patch - I've added this fix in.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 22:19
Interestingly enough, it's actually correct based on the SW frame definition for sheetgroup. Because of the long-running bug regarding the right edge of the frames, it was using a different value than what was defined for the right edge Y offset in the ruleset.
Regards,
JPG
Not to poke in where I don't really know what I'm talking about... but if it's a problem with Savage Worlds, why would it effect the other Rulesets that Dakadin reported (like Rolemaster for example)...

Griogre
November 13th, 2012, 23:01
Gotta love history. Most likely because SW's ancestor is the same ancestor as the other rulesets and it was wrong in the d20 ruleset. Almost *all* current rulesets were based off of FG1's d20 one. Things are changing with that but its still more true than not in the non game mechanics parts of any of the older rulesets.

Moon Wizard
November 14th, 2012, 01:54
Yeah, I see equal cases to leave alone, or to fix to allow frames to work correctly. The only reason not to fix is due to the inertia of the old rulesets.

I'll talk to Doug and see what we want to do.

Thanks,
JPG

unerwünscht
November 14th, 2012, 02:46
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is a perfect example of why I was pushing for extra extension layers, and modular rulesets. It would appear (to me at least) that the need for that change over grows larger by the day.

Moon Wizard
November 14th, 2012, 04:35
I've actually already started work on the layering for next big version, but it's a very large project. The great thing about doing it is that it will become much easier to import new features into our older rulesets and for community developers to leverage what we have done.

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
November 14th, 2012, 04:55
I was, ironically, finally giving SW a complete overhaul of frames / graphics for v3.4 (scrollbars pretty much made me need to do it). I had just spotted the odd frame, but as I was changing it anyway, I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Funny how it turned round to bite a few days later :)

Moon Wizard
November 14th, 2012, 05:02
Updates

Right edge Y offset framedef fix now only applies to rulesets with compatibility version 2.9 or higher.

This means that all older community and SmiteWorks rulesets based off of d20 should be fine. We'll just need to update the newer rulesets (RMC, SW, M&M), and PhantomWhale is already planning a patch for SW. Plus, with the new updater system, if you provide your login in the settings, it should update automatically when the patch is ready.

JPG

Dakadin
November 14th, 2012, 05:43
I've already put the fix in my development version of RMC. I can put a fix in current live version which could be released before FG v2.9.2 goes live so there aren't any issues.

Bidmaron
November 15th, 2012, 03:56
Since we're talking framedefs, I have to ask something that's been bugging me for a long time. The offset tag in there seems to me to specify everything you need for a frame, so, unless you were omitting a component (say the right side or something like that), you would never need to specify the other 9 parts. Or is this doing something I don't understand?

Moon Wizard
November 15th, 2012, 10:30
The "offset" tag was only recently added to the framedef object in v2.9.

Before that, each corner and edge had to be explicitly defined which led to a lot of fiddly errors when implementing new frames. The new offset tag works better for 95% of frames defined, but the individual tags are still available for complex frame graphic definition.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 15th, 2012, 10:32
Updates

Moved framedef bug fix to 3.0 with ruleset compatibility of 3.0 or higher. This will allow rulesets to be fixed before making the change, due to the sheetgroup frame being incorrectly defined in almost every ruleset ever built.
[3.5E/4E] Middle clicking on desktop sidebar items caused them to disappear. Fixed.

Also, I had an excellent session tonight without any issues at all. As of right now, I am not aware of any bugs that would prevent me from releasing v2.9.2 and no more changes planned. Please give it a good shake over the next week or so.

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
November 16th, 2012, 01:33
The "offset" tag was only recently added to the framedef object in v2.9.

Before that, each corner and edge had to be explicitly defined which led to a lot of fiddly errors when implementing new frames. The new offset tag works better for 95% of frames defined, but the individual tags are still available for complex frame graphic definition.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the answer. Good to know I guessed something right for a change. Perhaps you can fix the docs for formattedtextcontrol on this rev (and confirm that Get/SetValue, Get/SetSelectionPosition, Get/SetCursorPosition, and Get/SetText do or don't work on it, as they aren't documented in the unlinked formattedtextcontrol in the library and it doesn't appear to inherit from textbasecontrol or textfield as you might expect).

Moon Wizard
November 16th, 2012, 11:47
It definitely does not inherit from textcontrol, as the underlying data structures are vastly different. For example, instead of tracking a simple numeric value for cursor position, the formattedtextcontrol uses a paragraph index and a cursor position. And that's just one of the differences; there are more.

The unlinked formattedtextcontrol reference page is correct. However, you can call getDatabaseNode() to get the databasenode object pointed to by the control, and you can call getValue/setValue/getText on the databasenode. The formatting of getValue/setValue is required to be valid a valid FG internal formattedtext representation; so changing the values to do a setValue will take coding to add all the appropriate XML tags.

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
November 16th, 2012, 23:00
Not to belabor the point, but if the unlinked documentation is correct, the control doesn't support Get/SetCursorPosition or Get/SetSelectionPosition. I was hoping those functions would work so you could examine what text the user has selected within a formatted text field (of course, this would be in the as-represented, tag-stripped text form that appears to the user and not the tag-laden form that appears in the database).

Moon Wizard
November 16th, 2012, 23:30
No, those features are not available, and I have no way of building support in the short term. I would suggest adding to the wish list, but I think you've already done that.

The original formattedtextcontrol that I inherited was a black box, and completely inaccessible from the ruleset. The current set of functions and access to the underlying databasenode object have all been slowly added by me to increase accessibility, and allow at least basic copying of formattedtext data.

The formattedtextcontrol's primary purpose is still for rules display and story tracking; so it hasn't needed more developer functionality. Thus, there are no current plans to change the developer access for this object. In fact, almost all the feature requests for the formattedtextcontrols up to this point have to do with enhancing the functionality from the user perspective.

The highest priority item on my list for formattedtextcontrols is to remove the "edit mode" component. I want to make the control instantly editable when it has the focus, and is not read only. (just like every other control) I feel that this is one of the most confusing parts about the FG interface.

In the long term, I would like to overhaul or replace the formattedtextcontrol with something more standard or a rich text engine of some sort to add all the features we would like to have. The challenge is finding a rich text engine with a rendering component that can be completely customized by each ruleset developer and each user. The existing rich text controls and engines have not met our requirements to date, so it requires more research and definition as well.

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
November 16th, 2012, 23:40
I don't want to seem ungracious, JPG. Since ddavidson and you have taken over, FG2 has gone amazing places. You have visions for the control way beyond what I could ever hope for, so I will patiently wait. Now that you have implemented the export and import functions, I can finally get my handshaking program with FG2 to work, and the reason I've been asking for this functionality is honestly so a person can click on an underlined portion of a templated formattedtextcontrol. This would then link to my background .NET task (I have this working already), which would take the underlined text and try to treat it as a web url and display the page (assuming it exists) in its own browser.

This would allow GMs to link their modules to web pages. In my own campaign, I frequently want to access my own campaign wikipedia, and this web page linking would be a great thing.

To implement such a thing, I need to be able to query the control to see where the cursor is, determine if the cursor is within underlined text, and, if so, to export that underlined text to an xml node. My background task (which monitors a folder for file changes and fires off when the xml node is written to the monitored directory) then reads that node and tries to access the given web page.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the wonderful work you have done with FG2. I hope you guys will charge us something for the 3.x upgrade so you guys can earn some more revenue for the wonderful work you've done.

Thanks, JPG!

Moon Wizard
November 17th, 2012, 07:29
Thanks for all the feedback. I usually don't go into much detail about decisions and limitations, unless someone asks for the gritty details.

I think the better solution is to build support for URLs into FG (both chat window and story). My players have been asking for that for over a year now (chat window URL support). They like to share URLs during the session, and they have to use the copy to clipboard option now.

Cheers,
JPG

unerwünscht
November 17th, 2012, 09:21
If you are going to go to the extent of having it correctly parse and link URLS might I suggest a built in open source browser. I think Chrome can be embedded into programs free of charge. I suggest this based on the knowledge that many people run into crashes when alt tabbing in and out of FG. I have not thought about nor evaluated any security risks this may or may not involve.

Silveras
November 25th, 2012, 16:46
It looks like there's an issue with the party sheet and the Lighting effect. It looks fine using the "daylight" selection, but the others all color the individual character regions.

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2012, 20:27
Well, if the general lack of posts about problems is any indication, v2.9.2 is looking good, and I will plan to release next week.

If you've run a game in the last 2 weeks with the latest update, please chime in and let me know which ruleset you used.

If you are a ruleset developer, please give this version another once over with your ruleset.

Thanks,
JPG

unerwünscht
November 26th, 2012, 21:05
I have ran a 3.5 game and encountered no issues at least none that I noticed. I think I had the same issue with the CT and the lighting effects, but I didn't notice it at the time.

daumnation
November 28th, 2012, 04:56
I have run 3 sessions since the token rotation crash issues and that seems to have been cleared up as well.

Moon Wizard
December 7th, 2012, 19:38
Pushing v2.9.2 live now.
JPG

Skellan
December 8th, 2012, 05:34
I just ran a scenario using 2.9.2 and everything went very smoothly. I havent tested all the features but I love the icons on the tokens :)

JohnD
December 8th, 2012, 05:43
I just ran a scenario using 2.9.2 and everything went very smoothly. I havent tested all the features but I love the icons on the tokens :)
Same here - 3 hour game with 5 players; no issues. :)

Griogre
December 8th, 2012, 19:02
Yeah, I ran a 5E game using the 4E ruleset for 5 hours last night and didn't notice any problems. The effects tooltip description was a big hit. I was using just the dots for health and the players thought the health dots were very large relative to the tokens.

Blackfoot
December 9th, 2012, 08:15
A bit of a problem with the effects tooltip, when it is set on, it does not seem to check to see if the effect is visible only to the GM or visible to ALL.

kdietri
December 13th, 2012, 17:24
Just ran 2.9.2 for the first time. It seems to be limiting how far I can stretch the window now.

When I stretch the window beyond a certain point, anything beyond that point is just blurry.

Works fine on my new computer, just my older desktop has the problem.

PS, was working fine last week on 2.9.1

Griogre
December 13th, 2012, 19:08
There have been some reports in the House of Healing about video card settings causing blurriness. Try changing the anti-aliasing settings on your old computer's video card.