PDA

View Full Version : Calling all GMs - old and new!

Trenloe
August 7th, 2012, 05:52
Games since the FGCon has been quite light, with only Mgrancey, Blackfoot and Macgreine stepping up to run, or promise to run PFS games.

All it takes is for us to have 8 GMs who run at least 1 game each month to give us 2 or more games a week. If we spread the load around it will be good for all of us.

Reasons to be a GM:

The community here is great. Even if you've never GM'd a game in Fantasy Grounds before there are plenty of people around willing to help you out.
You get a GM chronicle when you run a PFS adventure* - this can be applied against one of your PFS characters as if you had played that character in the game. Your characters can level faster, or you can have more than 1 or 2 first level PCs in your PFS stable. *You only get a GM chronicle the first time you run an adventure - unless it is one of the scenarios/modules that has special rules.
GM "star" credit. The more games you run, the more stars you will get against your name on the Paizo PFS site and forums.
It's fun - and it will help spread the GMing load and hopefully bring more players/prospective GMs into the mix.
Most low tier games will fill up quickly - so you should never be short of players wanting to play your games.
The more games we run, we will get higher level characters and we can play some games at higher tiers (where the real fun starts).

So, if you think you can help out as a GM, please post here or PM me and we can help get you organised to a point where you're ready to go!

Thanks very much!

Claybot
August 8th, 2012, 21:22
I'd like to GM, but I don't have any experience with Pathfinders. I've DM'd quite a bit for D&D, I'd like to get a couple games of pathfinder under my belt first.

Blahness98
August 9th, 2012, 14:39
I would GM more, I just don't have the time. I would love to be a society GM, if I could add a few more hours to the day.

Blahness98
August 9th, 2012, 14:39
I would GM more, I just don't have the time. I would love to be a society GM, if I could add a few more hours to the day. And if I knew for sure how to actually run a PFS campaign.

Blackfoot
August 9th, 2012, 18:34
I would GM more, I just don't have the time. I would love to be a society GM, if I could add a few more hours to the day. And if I knew for sure how to actually run a PFS campaign.
It's not that different than running any other sort of game... you just need to follow the 'rules' as laid out in the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play (https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4).

Trenloe
August 23rd, 2012, 02:35
I'll be away for 4-5 weeks now, so won't be able to run any games for a while.

Keep the games going while I'm away! :-)

lachancery
August 23rd, 2012, 03:24
I've been reading up on PFS and I'll eventually like to run a game once a month. I like the PFS idea as it's not as committing as a never-ending campaign.

I would like to experience one or two PFS games as a player first though, to "get it". Just haven't been lucky with the scheduling of PFS games; they have always been in conflict with other games or real life. :(

Trenloe
August 23rd, 2012, 03:29
I've been reading up on PFS and I'll eventually like to run a game once a month. I like the PFS idea as it's not as committing as a never-ending campaign.

I would like to experience one or two PFS games as a player first though, to "get it". Just haven't been lucky with the scheduling of PFS games; they have always been in conflict with other games or real life. :(
No worries - we'll make sure you get some playing time sometime soon! :-)

Bronsonortiz
August 26th, 2012, 04:16
I'd like to Dm a PFS every month or so. I've GMed a few Pathfinder games via FGII and played in one PFS game using FGII, It's been been about a year and I forget all the ins and outs of PFS but am willing to DM as long as the players are willing to play with a not so experienced DM. Also I prefer being a silent DM, as Im not a skilled speaker and prefer just using txt and letting the players use ventrilo or skype.

Trenloe
August 26th, 2012, 04:25
I'd like to Dm a PFS every month or so. I've GMed a few Pathfinder games via FGII and played in one PFS game using FGII, It's been been about a year and I forget all the ins and outs of PFS but am willing to DM as long as the players are willing to play with a not so experienced DM. Also I prefer being a silent DM, as Im not a skilled speaker and prefer just using txt and letting the players use ventrilo or skype.
Cool - that would be great! :)

One word of warning - if you are using text then you will not complete a PFS scenario in 4-5 hours. So, perhaps think of running it over 2 sessions - which then might be difficult to get the same players again. Using text would also require more preparation on your part - as I would recommend getting a lot of the text you will use prepared ahead of time.

Anyway - it would be great if you could GM a game once a month or so. That's all we ask from our PFS GMs. :-)

Any questions just ask - people are usually helpful around here.

Bronsonortiz
August 26th, 2012, 16:15
Thanks. I might reconsider using voice, but I think as long as the players are using voice and if I prepare most of the txt before hand It doesn't slow things down too much. I was able to complete Paizo's Hollows 'Last Hope' in two sessions and most of the 1st dungeon in 'Crown of the Kobold King' in two sessions before I had to suspend my Gaming for a season. It may drag out an adventure an extra hr, where I might have to do as you suggested and run two 3-4 hr sessions per adventure or one longer 6hr sesson. But anyhow, I think DMing a few PFS games would be right up my alley as I always find it difficult to commit to long campaigns as much as I'd love to be able to, usually do to work and family obligations.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2012, 02:02
I think DMing a few PFS games would be right up my alley as I always find it difficult to commit to long campaigns as much as I'd love to be able to, usually do to work and family obligations.
Great - ask any questions you may have here in the forum.

Bronsonortiz
August 27th, 2012, 04:10
what ruleset are you using now to run PF games? Last time I GMed it was with JPG_d20. Is that still the norm or is the PFRRG setting of the 3.5E Ruleset the way to go?

Trenloe
August 27th, 2012, 04:34
what ruleset are you using now to run PF games? Last time I GMed it was with JPG_d20. Is that still the norm or is the PFRRG setting of the 3.5E Ruleset the way to go?
3.5E with the PFRPG setting is completely the way to go - much more functionality in the base ruleset, recent modules and extensions are written for this ruleset as well as the creature parser (which is invaluable for preparing PFS scenarios).

Bronsonortiz
August 29th, 2012, 21:39
OK, so where do I start to run a PFS game?

Trenloe
August 29th, 2012, 22:05
OK, so where do I start to run a PFS game?
Read the "sticked" threads in this forum (particularly this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17107 and https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17108), the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play (download from Paizo) give you all the guidelines for playing and running a PFS game.

Manium
September 1st, 2012, 13:46
Saving up for a full license (and eventually ultimate).
Loving Fantasy Grounds so far and would love to GM a game.

EDIT:
By the time I can GM on FG2 I'll probably just be hosting Numenera games ^^.
Hopefully that system will get some love when it comes out.

inuroku842
September 15th, 2012, 01:16
I'd like to GM, but I don't have any experience with Pathfinders. I've DM'd quite a bit for D&D, I'd like to get a couple games of pathfinder under my belt first.
If you've DM'ed for D&D (especially 3.5) then you've DM'ed for Pathfinder. Pathfinder is very similar to 3.5 and is almost a direct copy in all but name (and publishing rights..). There are few subtle changes here and there, but nothing that can't be gotten used to within a few hours.

lachancery
September 18th, 2012, 05:24
Alright, now that I've played my first PFS scenario, I'll be looking into GMing one in October. Is there a popular scenario that hasn't been getting run recently/ever?