PDA

View Full Version : Magic Trait: Gifted Adept

CraziFuzzy
August 5th, 2012, 08:32
Is there any way to modify an effective caster level in FGII? I've attempted to utilize a sorcerer I've got who has this trait (for shocking grasp, in this case). It adds +1 to the caster level for the selected spell (which in this case, adds an extra d6 damage). I have scoured through the XML in hopes of a back-door way to force the caster level for this particular spell, but it looks like it is just a single entry that affects all spells.

Is there any other way you guys can think of to implement this change?

Mgrancey
August 5th, 2012, 15:56
Only solution I know how to handle this is to go into the spell effects and casting for it and to simply modify it there. Turning off the 1d6 per CL and set it for how many d6's it should have and adding the +1 to level check for spell resistance, then reset it when you change spells.

If this isn't enough information on how to fix, post how familiar you are and I'll provide a more detailed explanation.

Gwaihir Scout
August 5th, 2012, 16:35
I have to do the same thing for all evocation spells as a Tattooed sorcerer. What I'm going to do is create a separate spell class for evocation spells and set that class at the higher caster level. This does make it a little trickier to manage spells cast per day, though.

Since you only have the one boosted spell, controlling it manually like Mgrancey suggested is probably the way to go. Just remember to bump it up when you level.

CraziFuzzy
August 5th, 2012, 19:04
Yeah, that sounds about right. We're pretty new to FG, but learning as we go. I just wish there was a tabletop that had as good a scripting/character management system as HeroLab. It already has all the math needed for this type of change, just needs a tabletop addon...

JohnD
August 5th, 2012, 23:36
Yeah, that sounds about right. We're pretty new to FG, but learning as we go. I just wish there was a tabletop that had as good a scripting/character management system as HeroLab. It already has all the math needed for this type of change, just needs a tabletop addon...
I doubt it's as easy as all that. Probably would take at least a week to program. :bandit:

Blackfoot
August 6th, 2012, 00:14
Hero Lab doesn't get all the stuff right... it does a very nice job mind you... but there are plenty of little things it doesn't have code for. (example: Furious Focus) There are so many little nuances to PF rules... cut them a bit of slack.

balrik
August 6th, 2012, 01:36
and I am pretty sure the point to FG is to keep it as close to pen and paper feel...there would be a fine line

CraziFuzzy
August 6th, 2012, 03:16
Hero Lab doesn't get all the stuff right... it does a very nice job mind you... but there are plenty of little things it doesn't have code for. (example: Furious Focus) There are so many little nuances to PF rules... cut them a bit of slack.

Right, of course there are things missing. But the key feature of HL is it's scripting, and relative ease of tweaking/expansion. The reason Furious Focus isn't in there is because it is time sensetive. As primarily a character generator, it doesn't really have a frame of reference about changing stats during a round of combat, as it really doens't have much info on the existence of combat rounds. My point was that if it DID have that info, adding in something like furious focus would be relatively easy (it would remove the penalty if the incoming attack was the first that character received in the round). It's just a matter of the right if's and then's.

I'm certainly not trying to knock Fantasy Grounds. I wouldn't own the Ultimate license if i felt it was insufficient. It IS great for duplicating the tabletop experience, but personally, the constant number crunching and tweaking aren't the part of the tabletop experience I prefer to replicate. The more you can remove the number crunching, the more it becomes a great storytelling tool.