PDA

View Full Version : FantasyGrounds and Upstream?

Hitcher
August 4th, 2012, 17:58
Hi

I am running a campaign of Fantasy Grounds via Teamspeak, and we had just a session, where seemingly no one could unterstand me.

It seems, regarding to NetBalancer, that FantasyGrounds was constantly uploading stuff from my computer - but I do not know what, or where to.

To reduce potential problem I have even cleared the Tokens and images folder for my specific campaign, but it did not solve the issue.

The problem seems to have happened after we updated to the most current version. 4 weeks ago it did work out nicely.

What is my Fantasy Grounds transmitting and why?

I am using Win7 Home 64 Bit
Avast Antivirus

Any Idea?

Addition:
The main problem starts after connecting of the characters, once they have selected their character and show up on the top side of Fantasy Grounds as portraits.

Griogre
August 4th, 2012, 23:23
Generally speaking, if you are hosting a FG game you should not host a VOIP server. VOIP servers are bandwidth hogs. Usually the problem is on non-commercial Internet connections is your up bandwidth is only a quarter to one third of your total bandwidth. You should get a player to run the VOIP server. With Teamspeak servers you can greatly reduce the required bandwith by lowering the codex down.

Like VOIP servers, FG can also be a bandwidth hog primarily when you are sharing images or pushing out rulesets or common modules to clients. On data being send from the host, typically the biggest data you have to push out is your images/maps. How big are you images? You want them 300K or less. The other thing is in long running campaigns your players can go back and look at old shared images and other data so you might have a lot of data flowing to update these old things you don't care about anymore. You can see if this was the problem by typing in /flushdb in FG chat which will basically unshare all the old stuff to the clients.

Hitcher
August 5th, 2012, 08:19
Hi - this is sadly not the problem, as we use an external voip server (teamspeak).

Thanks for the flushdb command, I will try it.

Regarding the pictures: If the old shared images will synchronize - this will explain my problem.

Hitcher
August 5th, 2012, 10:47
But is there any option to limit the upstream, that Fantasy Grounds uses, so that enough traffic stays available for my upstream to the Teamspeak server?

Griogre
August 5th, 2012, 12:36
No, there isn't. FG is a directX app and assumes it gets everything. The best thing you can do is just not push much data. After ruleset transfers, which usually is a one time transfer, maps/images are the bandwith hogs. Keep the files small. If you are using a wireless connection try plugging in a cable to the router and see if it makes a difference.

One of the nice things about TeamSpeak servers is that you can also lower the codex being used so it needs less bandwith. You might try that. Most VOIP servers crank the codex up to max by default.

You might also check one more thing. See if you have QoS turned off on your router and computer.

Hitcher
August 5th, 2012, 14:41
Thank you.

I will try to get the stuff into modules for the next time, so that we have less transfer traffic. Nevertheless its kind of weird that it tries to get that much upstream bandwith.

Well, will have to check then if I can limit the Traffic of FG via my Firewall or by using a Packetfilter.

Thanks,

Hitcher