PDA

View Full Version : Random Extension

Ardem
August 2nd, 2012, 14:50
This is a thread for the Random Extension.

The purpose of this extension is to provide a quick way for certain GM Random rolls, to be done efficiently and transfer this to the players. Please add ideas or bugs to this thread.

Tested with: RMC

Version 0.91

Includes;
Random Weather Generator - Which is impact on by the current weather e.g. dry days encourage more dry days, wet days encourage more wet days. The weather is influence by season, region and then wind that should bring realistic rolls.
Random Encounter Generator - Random encounter generator based on location and includes number in the encounter.
Campaign Date
Name Generator
Occupation Generator
Treasure Generator

Current Version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3ygmm08ivr6mq5/FGRandom.ext?dl=1

0.8https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_8/FGRandom.ext
0.72https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_72/FGRandom.ext
0.71https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_71/FGRandom.ext
0.7https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_7/FGRandom.ext
0.6https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_6/FGRandom.ext
0.4https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_4/FGRandom.ext
0.3https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnf0_3/FGRandom.ext
0.2https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnf0_2/FGRandom.ext
0.1https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd0_1/RMC%20Random.ext

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/FRP/randomclient2.JPG
Client View

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd1.png https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd2.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FG/RND/rnd3.png
Host View

JohnD
August 2nd, 2012, 15:39
Looks good. I like the fact that it appears we can enter our own custom calendar dates.

Speaking of which, that would be a good idea to bring across from the 3.5e rules.

Dakadin
August 2nd, 2012, 15:44
It looks good Ardem! I can't wait to try it out. :)

Speaking of which, that would be a good idea to bring across from the 3.5e rules.

I am actually working on that right now.

Roncorps
August 3rd, 2012, 04:45
Oh sweet ! I was going to create a custom table (using the way Fumble & Crit work in 2.9.1) but waited before looking here if there wasn't already any weather generator.

Glad I did it !

Great job =)

Ardem
August 3rd, 2012, 07:48

That is good I will not put anymore work into that side of things, but use the fields when your finished. My next job is to create random creature generator, not using the RMC tables, so I can share it. However similar concepts.

I will also be creating a custom made list, so you can put a list together as a player. I will start off with a single list. (easy to do) but maybe able to progress to building your own lists and saving them and then selecting them. (That is good in theory, but may need the code ability of a great person then I).

Dakadin
August 3rd, 2012, 15:12
Sorry about that Ardem. Right now I am trying to add the features from the 3.5E/4E rulesets that are missing from the RMC ruleset. That includes the calendar, party sheet, and a few other minor things. I've got a prototype of the calendar working. It just needs some cosmetic changes. If you start up a 4E campaign and setup a calendar, you should be able to see how it is stored in the campaign db.xml. You could add an option to your extension to add the weather information as part of the log that can be created for each day.

Ardem
August 3rd, 2012, 18:34
Sorry about that Ardem. Right now I am trying to add the features from the 3.5E/4E rulesets that are missing from the RMC ruleset. That includes the calendar, party sheet, and a few other minor things. I've got a prototype of the calendar working. It just needs some cosmetic changes. If you start up a 4E campaign and setup a calendar, you should be able to see how it is stored in the campaign db.xml. You could add an option to your extension to add the weather information as part of the log that can be created for each day.

Don't be sorry that is a good thing, it was not sarcasm I am glad you porting it across. It mean I can concentrate on the main reason the random tools.

Dakadin
August 3rd, 2012, 18:51
Don't be sorry that is a good thing, it was not sarcasm I am glad you porting it across. It mean I can concentrate on the main reason the random tools.

Don't worry. I didn't see it as sarcasm or anything like that. I just know I've been making you jump through hoops lately. :o

bennis1980
August 3rd, 2012, 19:40
I really see a use for this calendar and weather generator, considering I'm starting a campaign concentrating on the day to day lives of the characters (and not grand scale epic stuff). It will also be nice to produce custom tables (I have a lot of random stories going around my head, so to have random events which link to a story or adventure that would be nice).

Thanks for the hard work

bennis1980
August 3rd, 2012, 19:41
EDIT: Strange - That's the second time my "smart" phone has posted a duplicate reply! Not smart at all.

lachancery
August 4th, 2012, 02:33
EDIT: Strange - That's the second time my "smart" phone has posted a duplicate reply! Not smart at all.
You sure it's not an error code 18? (grin, duck & run)

bennis1980
August 4th, 2012, 06:05
You sure it's not an error code 18? (grin, duck & run)
No,that's when there's a feature for posting here on the RM ruleset. Then I'll come looking for you guys :)

JohnD
August 26th, 2012, 08:23

How is it coming along? :)

Crossfireue
August 27th, 2012, 17:50
I'm running a PF game right now that is somewhat sandbox and gives the players 60 days to accomplish various tasks. A weather generator would be a fantastic addition to my game!

Ardem
August 28th, 2012, 02:17
I'm running a PF game right now that is somewhat sandbox and gives the players 60 days to accomplish various tasks. A weather generator would be a fantastic addition to my game!

I might be able to port what I have across to work with Pathfinder is it a free ruleset, i can't see myself spending money thought just to port something I would not play. majority of the code is independent of RM Ruleset.

I am working on a quick name generator at the moment. But be a little while as I am time senstive atm.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2012, 02:33
I might be able to port what I have across to work with Pathfinder is it a free ruleset.
Yes, it's the 3.5E ruleset that comes with FG - with the PFRPG option set.

Ardem
August 28th, 2012, 04:39
Alright will look into it.

Ardem
August 30th, 2012, 08:50
Ok I am now renaming RMC Random to FG Random.

Version 0.2
- I found a major bug in it and it goes to show noone is using the client side otherwise they would of seen it did not working. I had not added a holder for each player that logged in. This affected Client data not parsing.

- Polar and Tundra were coming up with Error on random roll sometimes, and fix this.

- The extension is now self contained, meaning it should run on any ruleset. I have tested it with 3.5E/Pathfinder and it works (or atleast seems too)

Download is on the first post, you can delete the old RMCrandom, the extension name is now FGRandom.ext

Crossfireue
August 30th, 2012, 14:22
Thanks for your work, Ardem.

Ardem
August 30th, 2012, 15:19
My pleasure let me know if there is any issues. Perhaps post if you like it post a link in the PF section to let them know.

Ardem
August 30th, 2012, 16:19
Version 0.3

Added a name generator - Currently only English male and female name.

If you have a name list you wish me to add please provide on a comma delimited list.

Ardem
August 31st, 2012, 12:27
Version 0.4

I got a burst of energy to work <smile>

- Added Celtic Names
- Added African Names
- Added Japanese Names
- Added Random Occupation Generator

Ardem
September 24th, 2012, 15:00
Version 0.6

- Started Random Encounter Generator
- Included Rolemaster Animals

Tiqon
September 24th, 2012, 18:51
This is very nice :). Thanks. I plan to use it for RM. I noticed in RM that I cant close the form with the top right X. I have to right click and choose close. It not big deal, just though I would mention it if you havent noticed it yourself. :). Keep it comming!

Harbinger
January 8th, 2013, 14:48
Thank you for all the hard work on making this for us all.

Ardem
January 19th, 2013, 06:37
Version 0.7

This is to work with the new 1.4.6 RMC, however their is the start of a random treasure generator, I just need to populate the data in arrays so it can be used I will welcome ideas if you have some about it.

I have been slack around this extension I hope to do some more work soon.

Ardem
January 24th, 2013, 10:41
Version 0.71

Populated Random Treasure for RMC includes

-Weapons
-Armour
-Herbs
-Money/Gems
-Armour

Magical, Mundane and well made.

For special magical properties these are up to the GM.

Using it as a Herb finder for people looking for herbs you do the roll for the herb and the type and abundance, check what pops up and compare if it is expected in the area, if it in the right zone for growing they find it if not move onto the next herb.

Make sure to have the herb table open next to the window for fast checking, numbers are included for fast look up.

Harbinger
January 24th, 2013, 13:23
Nice! thanks for the improvements.

Ardem
January 25th, 2013, 09:50
Version 0.72

Sorry this is a quick patch Dakadin found a minor bug where RM table scroll bars would not slide, but you could click. I have fixed this issue.

Harbinger
January 25th, 2013, 15:39
wow that was a quick response.

Tiqon
January 25th, 2013, 15:41
Really glad you still work on this Ardem :). Very much appreciated.

JohnD
January 25th, 2013, 16:44
Agreed - excellent little add on.

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 14:29
I dropped this extension into the extensions file, and fired up FG, but don't see any of the content. Is there something I need to do to get them to work?

Trenloe
August 8th, 2013, 15:56
I dropped this extension into the extensions file, and fired up FG, but don't see any of the content. Is there something I need to do to get them to work?
Select the "FGRandom" extension from the extensions list in the "Campaign Details" section of the Load Campaign screen. When you load up our campaign you'll see a "RND" button in the top right corner of the desktop.

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 16:36
Pretty much what I figured, it was a nut that connects the keyboard to the chair problem ;)

Ardem
August 9th, 2013, 10:21
I been slack on this extension, as I been working on a new ruleset, but hopefully it helps a little.

But if you need something special let me know.

Bidmaron
February 10th, 2014, 03:52
I take it this works fully on FG 3.0.x?

Jwguy
February 28th, 2014, 07:13
I take it this works fully on FG 3.0.x?

Unfortunately, the extension no longer appears to be up-to-date. Using it with the latest version of Fantasy Grounds II (3.0) results menu with no background, and the rolls are no longer functional, as they just result in errors. =(

Ardem
March 1st, 2014, 07:49
Sorry been working on my Extinction Event Ruleset I will fix up the background issue now.

Ardem
March 1st, 2014, 10:06
Version 0.8
Works with Core, RM, 3.5 3.0 now.

Cleaned up some code
- Added German Male and Female names to the random list
- Added Modern Occupations

After I finishing Extinction Event which I am almost there I spend some time fleshing more details into this if people have requests I will do them first.

Jwguy
March 2nd, 2014, 12:35
Version 0.8
Works with Core, RM, 3.5 3.0 now.

Cleaned up some code
- Added German Male and Female names to the random list
- Added Modern Occupations

After I finishing Extinction Event which I am almost there I spend some time fleshing more details into this if people have requests I will do them first.

Thanks for the quick update! I've been making use of the plugin extensively, for the time being.

Just as a notice, though, I don't think the Treasure Generator is working properly for DND. The Rolemaster version seems to work well enough, but the DND version seems as though it never produces treasure.

sukEEt
June 23rd, 2014, 17:07
how do i make this zip work?

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2014, 17:32
how do i make this zip work?
Download the .ext file from post #1 then follow these instructions: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Extensions The it should appear as an extension to select when you are on the "Load Campaign" screen - you need to restart FG if it was already running to see any new extensions.

Once in your campaign, click on the RND button in the toolbar in the top right of the desktop.

Ardem
June 24th, 2014, 01:16
Beat me to it Trenloe.

Any issues with the extension please free to let me know.

swest
February 3rd, 2015, 09:42
Greetings Ardem,

Should your Random extension work with 3.0.10? I've tried it under CoreRPG and 3.5E, and it only gives incomplete windows and errors...

Thanks.

- s.west

Ardem
February 4th, 2015, 14:45
No worries, I will update it this weekend. Perhaps add a new name list.

swest
February 4th, 2015, 15:20
Cool! Thanks, a lot.

- s.west

Ardem
February 9th, 2015, 09:20
I tested it works with 3.0.10, not sure where the error was but I found one in Treasure section, any other error make sure you have all the dropboxes for a section filled.

Changes for 0.90
Included Russian and Spanish Names.

seycyrus
February 10th, 2015, 01:00
I really like this extension, but is there w way to make it so it is only available to me as the DM and not to my players?

Ardem
February 10th, 2015, 02:15
As far as I am aware, it only show the weather in a easy to view format and date to the players none of the other random details are shown. But I am sure I can add an option so this is not displayed.

seycyrus
February 10th, 2015, 22:03
You are correct, I was in error. I was confused because one of players asked "what's this rnd button?" I verified that it is the way you said it is, by opening up a player instance. I like the way they can see the weather result. Please don't change it.

Ardem
February 10th, 2015, 22:26
Curiosity, what ruleset are you using this for.

seycyrus
February 12th, 2015, 01:19
GURPS ruleset.

LordEntrails
June 5th, 2015, 19:55
Would this extension (an update or mod of it) be the way to go for creating random encounters?

I'm not too far into learning FG yet, but that's one thing I haven't see or heard mention of. How would one go about not only creating random encvounter tables (I happen to be doing 5E) but to them be able to add those results into a combat tracker/map/etc.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 21:09
Would this extension (an update or mod of it) be the way to go for creating random encounters?

I'm not too far into learning FG yet, but that's one thing I haven't see or heard mention of. How would one go about not only creating random encvounter tables (I happen to be doing 5E) but to them be able to add those results into a combat tracker/map/etc.

The usual way (perhaps not the only way) to do it is to use the FG tables functionality (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables) for the random encounter tables themselves, then link in FG encounters (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters) with NPCs and tokens already assigned to each relevant entry in the table. The only gotcha with this is that any random number of creatures encountered either needs to be rolled manually (and the number of creatures in the encounter changed - which is pretty quick), or some people have gone to great lengths to have secondary linked tables that contain all of the encounter possibilities - for example, if there were 1d6 bandits, the secondary table would have an encounter entry for 1 bandit, 2 bandits, ... 6 bandits. But this is a huge amount of work for anything other than simple tables.

Ardem
June 11th, 2015, 06:33
There is a section on random animal encounters, but the extension does not populate into the encounter or combat screen. This area has been vary uncomplete in this area. But trenloe way is better, but does require a bit of work. Because make your own table functionality was included, I have not really progressed with this Random Extension, other then add some extra names options.

LordEntrails
June 11th, 2015, 17:12
Trenloe & Ardem, thanks for the info.

Jwguy
August 25th, 2015, 14:54
I'm not sure if it was ever corrected, but the Random Treasure Generator for DND still doesn't produce any results. If it was corrected since my last post in the thread, it may be a conflict with Fantasy Grounds 3.1.2

zarlor
September 7th, 2015, 00:59
Fun extension, but as an FYI it seems to have some issues with the Savage Worlds ruleset. Particularly I was trying it conjunction with the NPC Maker (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20807-SW-NPC-Maker-extension) extension and when trying to copy in a new NPC I get the following error:

Script Error: [string "npcs/parser_statblock.lua"]:313: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

I was getting a similar error even without the NPC Maker extension, though, whenever simply creating an NPC and modifying the Damage role. I'm guessing there is something about the way Savage Worlds uses that "pairs" function to parse through attributes that is causing the problem, if that means anything.

Ikael
September 12th, 2015, 12:22
Fun extension, but as an FYI it seems to have some issues with the Savage Worlds ruleset. Particularly I was trying it conjunction with the NPC Maker (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20807-SW-NPC-Maker-extension) extension and when trying to copy in a new NPC I get the following error:

I was getting a similar error even without the NPC Maker extension, though, whenever simply creating an NPC and modifying the Damage role. I'm guessing there is something about the way Savage Worlds uses that "pairs" function to parse through attributes that is causing the problem, if that means anything.

This extension is conflicting badly with Savage Worlds ruleset. However it can be fixed by using unique script and template names. Biggest issues are with Global named script and Dropdown templates, if those are named differently this extension would be SW compatible

Ikael
September 12th, 2015, 12:22

This extension is conflicting badly with Savage Worlds ruleset. However it can be fixed by using unique script and template names. Biggest issues are with Global named script and Dropdown templates, if those are named differently this extension would be SW compatible

Ardem
September 17th, 2015, 03:46
My apologies guys been without internet at home for a month now, I will have a look at this and get some repairs in, sorry for the lack of response. Cannot tell you when but sometime in the next week I reckon I get this fixed.

zarlor
September 17th, 2015, 20:34
No rush. :) I certainly appreciate the work you've already put in on such a useful tool and I don't currently have a pressing need for it, it's just something that might be nice to add in eventually, is all.

Underdoge411
September 20th, 2016, 17:15
I am getting blanks when I select D&D rule sets, specifically in the random treasure tab. Any assistance is appreciated.

Ardem
September 21st, 2016, 00:44
I will look into it and see why that is.

christophersons
January 15th, 2017, 11:31
Could put an option of automatic watch. Would help a lot. During the description of an event, the marking and show players the real-time clock.

Rilmarion
April 25th, 2017, 23:56
Okay, just installed this last night and went to get random treasure and when i select the D&D ruleset, I get blanks. Was this ever looked into as I see two posts above it was stated that Ardem would look into it. Thanks.

Ardem
April 26th, 2017, 05:19
No sorry I never got to it work and life usual stuff, mainly since tables came into being for Core, the random extension was not needed having said that, I could change all the extension into a table mod. If you feel it worth it. That would be far more useful and will nto require so many update each time core is updated, which at the moment is all the time.

Zuger
November 29th, 2017, 10:15
Hello, the link of your ext is broken. Is the ext still available ?

Ardem
November 29th, 2017, 23:35
Hi Zuger, the extension is available however it been a long while since I worked on it, I am not even sure it compatible with Core and currently do no have the bandwidth to update it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60vgxp6avylhfaz/FGRandom.ext?dl=0

Mac77
July 28th, 2018, 22:34
Awesome, love it thank you very much.

Ardem
February 7th, 2019, 04:38
Updated to fix a couple of bugs with 1.7.6.

seycyrus
October 17th, 2020, 13:56
Is there a chance that this extension would be updated to FGU?

Or is there something else that provides similar functionality (within FGU)?
Thanks

Ardem
October 27th, 2020, 10:44
Tell you the truth I am not sure if I will, I a current working on a bunch of tables that can be used in a mod, I will see if I can covert this to a mod rather then an extension.

Garethpr
January 12th, 2023, 13:32
Hi I get this error using Win 10 FGU Starfinder [1/12/2023 12:05:20 PM] [ERROR] Error loading extension XML file. [FGRandom] [fgrandom_treasure.xml]: An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 413, position 45.
that refferes to this block of code
413: <pressed>d100_base</pressed> <!-- --Treasuren1, Treasures1, Treasuren2, Treasures2, Treasuren3, Treasures3, Treasuren4, Treasures4, Treasuren5, Treasures5, Treasuren6, Treasures6 = window.treasureRND(window.treasuredrop.getValue(), window.treasuretype.getValue(),window.treasuremagi cal.getValue());
--window.treasurenumber1.setValue(Treasuren1);
--window.treasure1.setValue(Treasures1);
--window.treasurenumber2.setValue(Treasuren2);
--window.treasure2.setValue(Treasures2);
--window.treasurenumber3.setValue(Treasuren3);
--window.treasure3.setValue(Treasures3);
--window.treasurenumber4.setValue(Treasuren4);
-- window.treasure4.setValue(Treasures4);
--window.treasurenumber5.setValue(Treasuren5);
--window.treasure5.setValue(Treasures5);
--window.treasurenumber6.setValue(Treasuren6);
--window.treasure6.setValue(Treasures6);
-->
I'm new to Lua but shouldn't a long comment be --[[]]?
Please let me know I may be able to fix it directly at this end.