PDA

View Full Version : Look for extensive fumble table

Claybot
July 31st, 2012, 03:39
Hey guys,
So during the con I got the chance to play a rolemasters game. This got me infatuated with crits/fumbles. So naturally I want incorporate a new crit/fumble table into my 4e game. I found "Critical Matters by FRP" and its amazing I love it. Unfortunately they don't have one out for fumbles. I was wondering if someone had a extensive fumble chart out their somewhere. I don't need it to have every type of damage(Although that'd obviously be awesome!) but I would like one for spells and one for weapons. I have a super relaxed group so balancing isn't something I'm too worried about. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

lachancery
July 31st, 2012, 03:44
Hey guys,
So during the con I got the chance to play a rolemasters game. This got me infatuated with crits/fumbles. So naturally I want incorporate a new crit/fumble table into my 4e game. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
You could always switch your game to Rolemaster? :p

We didn't see a lot of them, but one shot kills can be epic (when delivered by the players, of course)!

Claybot
July 31st, 2012, 03:55
It's all your fault!! If it wasn't for your game of rolemasters I wouldn't be on this search right now...

JohnD
August 3rd, 2012, 23:26
Just make the switch; RM is a superior system IMO.

Seriously... it doesn't take long before all the complexity dissolves into routine.

Dakadin
August 3rd, 2012, 23:54
Yeah. I don't know of any other game that has critical or fumble tables that can come close to Rolemaster. If you want I will give you a run down of some of the critical and fumble results we've had in my game over the last few months. Send me a PM and I will discuss the situaions that occurred. They definitely make things memorable.

If you have any questions about Rolemaster, there are a lot of people willing to help you get up to speed. In fact you might consider joining a regular game to see if it is a system you would like to play long term. bennis1980 is starting up a couple games that you can find information about here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16917.

Ardem
August 7th, 2012, 03:57
Talk about one shot epics. Had a mage last game failing at every spell getting close to 0 damage on a Wight. The group was doing badly, as only half had magical weapons. The mage then uses his magic staff and get behind to slam the Wight in the back. 203 roll. 16EK critical, then rolls a 90 odd to get the kill.

Everyone breaks out in laughter as he tanks the wight, rather then destroys it by magic.

bennis1980
August 7th, 2012, 09:45
We had some epic rolls in Dakadin's Spacemaster game. I love killing baddies at 200 metres away :)

Trenloe
August 7th, 2012, 17:10
Talk about one shot epics. Had a mage last game failing at every spell getting close to 0 damage on a Wight. The group was doing badly, as only half had magical weapons. The mage then uses his magic staff and get behind to slam the Wight in the back. 203 roll. 16EK critical, then rolls a 90 odd to get the kill.

Everyone breaks out in laughter as he tanks the wight, rather then destroys it by magic.
Nice to know the "fizz-bang" mage performances in your group continue Ardem. :D

dr_venture
August 9th, 2012, 02:27
We're still using a pretty extensive list of criticals and fumbles posted in Dragon magazine for the first ed. of AD&D. I believe there was Blade crits, missile crits, crushing crits, crits vs. animals, and a fairly extensive fumble table. We always augmented extreme rolls by using the Arduin critical table (which is pretty randomly violent from virtually nothing bad happens to something supremely spectacular). Later a dearly departed player created a fake 'Arduin' fumble table that is equally random.

Still, with all those tables and possibilities, there are a surprising number of characters walking around without their right ears due to bow fumbles. Then again, the campaign has been going since the mid 1980's (still in AD&D 1e), so that's a long time to accumulate scars.