PDA

View Full Version : L5R Theme/Ruleset Extension (D20 edition)

Roncorps
July 30th, 2012, 22:26
Hi,

I'm doing a theme/ruleset extension for Legend of the Five Rings, but using D20/PF rule. I play the setting, but not the rule and it would be a total loss of time to do the real thing because SmiteWork got the license to do the ruleset of L5R. So, here I am doing the 3.5/PF one. I contacted AEG customer service and they say that the use of images from L5R is permitted on non profit project, so I will certaintly be able to share it after.

I'm planning to redo all the graphic to a more oriental style and to add in the charsheet info about honor, taint, clan, etc. So, it's a updated version of the ruleset via extension for the one playing it in this way.

Here my first try, going slowly (and thanks for everyone helping me with my questions !). Just updated to 2.9.1, so more work to come snif. Surely a calendar coming too.

Zeus
July 31st, 2012, 00:03
Looking nice Roncorps, keep up the good work.

Dakadin
July 31st, 2012, 05:51
Good job! It looks very nice.

Blue Haven
July 31st, 2012, 12:45
I love the chat box with the Tori Gate :)
Nice work ;)

Roncorps
July 31st, 2012, 23:29
Thanks all !

@Blue Haven : Thanks :) That chatbox gotten me tinkering a lot in FG files ! But it was a good thing, but I wanted that the top of the tori gate to be larger and I don't know right now how to do it, but maybe it's good enough like that, because I can't take all the space just for a chatbox !

Now, I'm working on the character selection/modifiers/CT/effect/etc. frame. Right now in FG, there like 4 different design. I'm planning to keep only one for uniformity (and japanese are like that, harmony and uniformity). I'm doing like the chat box, redwood corner with a transparent "rice panel" style at the center.

Something that bothering me, but I keep for later, is what will I do with the sidebar icons. I think maybe ofuda or japanese wall scroll. I'm planning to add a design of a tsuba somewhere, maybe a transparent one like the bamboo on the background of the NPC/Item/Image/etc. frame.

Spikenog
August 2nd, 2012, 20:53
This is fantastic! While I would prefer to play L5R with its traditional rule set, this is a good step forward for those of us looking to use FG to play L5R.

You could use Clan Mons for the sidebar buttons perhaps.

Roncorps
August 2nd, 2012, 21:48
While I would prefer to play L5R with its traditional rule set

SmiteWorks aka FG got the license for doing a traditional (4th) ruleset for L5R, so that's why I'm going into the 3.5/D20 edition of L5R.

You could use Clan Mons for the sidebar buttons perhaps.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Clan or the 5 elements (library would be a book and token something else).

Spikenog
August 2nd, 2012, 22:14
That's a better idea, the icons for the rings. Perhaps you could use a Go board or a Japanese puzzle box of the token box.

I had read that Smiteworks was going to be doing the 4th Edition L5R ruleset but I've seen or heard nothing new about its development so sort of stopped hoping. Fingers are still crossed.

Roncorps
August 2nd, 2012, 22:17
I had read that Smiteworks was going to be doing the 4th Edition L5R ruleset but I've seen or heard nothing new about its development so sort of stopped hoping. Fingers are still crossed.

I've read in march (? around that time) that it was going slowly, but they were working on it.

Perhaps you could use a Go board or a Japanese puzzle box of the token box.

Good idea, maybe Shogi too. And I could do the token too, so that way players could play it into FG ... hmmm .... and could release it as a module for anyone. Maybe do a Go board too, no that hard.

Roncorps
August 6th, 2012, 23:30
New version, with added icons and frame. The 5 elements rings for the sidebar change color when click.

I'm working on more icons and frame. Have to do the Story--> Note frame. The top sidebar buttons too. A lot more too.

Also, I got everything to build a Shogi and Go game. I will probably release them as a separate module too, to be played with any ruleset.

JohnD
August 9th, 2012, 05:45
This looks really nice.

One comment to perhaps consider; a white background will cause eye strain a lot quicker than a darker colour, especially if you're going to be looking at it continually.

I don't know the effect you're going for, but I assume white isn't there by accident... maybe offer two versions; the white and a darker background for those that want it (?).

Roncorps
August 9th, 2012, 05:47
I was trying to emulate the "rice door" effect. I'll try to darken it a little more.

Zeus
August 9th, 2012, 14:14
Thats really nice Roncorp, very nice indeed.

One additional comment to the white background; you may want to consider adjusting the transparency of window backgrounds to include a blur effect. This will help distinguish foreground window content from being masked (potentially) by content in the background. This will be particularly noticeable when windows with text are arranged or overlapped on top of other windows with text. The blur effect should help the foreground pop out, making it easier on the eye with busy screens. I use a similar effect on my transparent window desktop on my iMac.

One thought. JPG is currently active in development on 2.9.2 and has recently been working on adding UI improvements (scaling for one), it might be worthwhile requesting an 'Invert Desktop Color option' or adding a second desktop png framedef to the ruleset and allowing the user to select between the two in Game Options.

Roncorps
August 9th, 2012, 15:50
Ok, I'm gonna work on both issue :

1. White background
2. Transparent window. --> I was looking for another effect for them because everything seem the same/have the same feeling and a little disparity would be welcome.

Roncorps
August 10th, 2012, 22:24
1. I've darken the background a little bit more, around the same as the 3.5 PF Theme. I must admit that I don't want to go into the "darkside" of theme, but It could be a version I could do. I've tried with a invert design and the japanese word on the right look very cool in white on dark gray.

2. No more transparent background. I've added a "paper" effect into them and made it a little more grayish.

3. The wood border are thinner. The slender effect is more attractive I find.

Roncorps
August 11th, 2012, 01:24
@JohnD and DrZeuss : Thinking about it more, I think you are right. The background should be a lot more darker than what it is right now. I think that the foreground window will blend too much into the background as of now.

Roncorps
August 11th, 2012, 02:38
More like that ?

JohnD
August 11th, 2012, 16:42
This grey one makes things "pop" much more IMO... looks very nice.

Roncorps
August 11th, 2012, 19:53
This grey one makes things "pop" much more IMO... looks very nice.

Yes and it will be easier to play with the brightness and do more "lightning'" effect with a darker background. I think too that it is very nice.

Thanks JohnD for the comment that brought this =)

Roncorps
August 28th, 2012, 18:32
I've paused the project for 2-3 weeks because I'm a new dad and work is starting, but I'll be sure to restart and finish it for October.

Blahness98
August 28th, 2012, 23:26
I've paused the project for 2-3 weeks because I'm a new dad and work is starting, but I'll be sure to restart and finish it for October.

Congrats and enjoy the little one. And remember, sleep is your friend..

JohnD
September 1st, 2012, 17:27
Congrats on the new child and doubly so for having your priorities ordered properly! :D

Roncorps
November 10th, 2012, 22:54
Ok, baby born, work taking lot of time (I'm a teacher at college level) and baby too. I'm pretty happy, but didn't have time to finish ANYTHING ! =( Even painting my miniatures got in the way but eh, that's how a family work !

So, I'm going into a paternity leave and I will try my best to finish this project. I've buy a house too at the same moment, so crazy moment going on, but all for the better =)