PDA

View Full Version : Prepping on one computer, playing on another

Erdrix
July 30th, 2012, 17:53
This Sunday I'll be doing a face to face game (first one in a while) and I want to use FG as a campaign manager.

I normally use my desktop, but I'm going to be using my wife's laptop for the game (we're playing at my buddy's house).

My question is, will I have any problems prepping on the desktop and then running on the laptop, offline? I know I need to move the appropriate files over and I have the ultimate license on the desktop. Will it shut me out and self-destruct or anything?

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 18:21
When you say "running on the laptop offline" will this be without an Internet connection? You have an ultimate licence which needs to connect to the Fantasy Grounds server to validate when you start your game - so, if you don't have an internet connection you won't be able to run the game on your laptop.

Other than that, it is relatively straightforward to move a campaign from one computer to another. Make sure you copy over:

You campaign directory under <app data>\campaigns
Any modules you will use - from <app data>\modules
Any extensions you will use - from <app data>\extensions

<app data> is your Fantasy Grounds application data directory - accessed from Windows Start -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder

Erdrix
July 30th, 2012, 18:46
Yea, they just moved and don't even have an internet connection yet. So, FG won't start up without an internet connection, then I take it?

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 18:55
Yea, they just moved and don't even have an internet connection yet. So, FG won't start up without an internet connection, then I take it?
An ultimate license won't start up without an internet connection - a full license will.

But, the initial connection is just for validation (small data transfer) - once running very little (if any) data is passed over the internet. So - if one of you have a mobile phone with data that you could tether to your computer for the validation then that should work.

Erdrix
July 30th, 2012, 19:12
So, i could start it up at home and just leave it up and hope I don't have to close the program during the session.

Next thing is, how do I handle the licensing? Like I said before I have the ultimate license on my desktop, but the laptop is just the unregistered version. I assume I have to register the laptop with my ultimate license and only one computer can have that license at a time.

Do I have to uninstall FG off the desktop or just make sure FG is not running on it before I fire up FG on the laptop?

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 19:20
So, i could start it up at home and just leave it up and hope I don't have to close the program during the session.

Next thing is, how do I handle the licensing? Like I said before I have the ultimate license on my desktop, but the laptop is just the unregistered version. I assume I have to register the laptop with my ultimate license and only one computer can have that license at a time.

Do I have to uninstall FG off the desktop or just make sure FG is not running on it before I fire up FG on the laptop?
See post #6 of this thread where Doug Davison (from Smiteworks) mentions that developing on one PC and running on another is acceptable.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16902

You will need to register your laptop with the ultimate licence.

Griogre
July 30th, 2012, 19:24
You can only have one computer *running* the license at once. So you don't need to worry about the desktop other than to make sure FG isn't being run. For the laptop you will need to install the ultimate license. If you are a little paranoid you probably should uninstall the unregistered license first.

Edit: Out typed by Trenloe.... ;)

Erdrix
July 30th, 2012, 19:26
Thanks guys, I think you've answered all my questions.