PDA

View Full Version : v2.9.1 Issue with Formatted Text Fields Causing FG2 To Close

neilgfoster
July 30th, 2012, 11:31
Hi, hoping JPG can answer this one.

I am observing an issue with formattedtextfields which is causing FG2 to force close. Initially I thought it was something that I was doing in my ruleset but as I have stripped that functionality out the issue persists. I have also been able to recreate this issue in another of my rulesets which uses a formatted text fields on a character sheet.

Basically, what I am observing is that a change to a formatted text field on a character sheet by a player is causing the host to crash. In addition, if the GM changes a formatted text fields on a players character sheet then the players instance of FG2 crashes.

I have run FG2 with the network debugging enabled and the last message in the console log is the send or recieve of the formatted text field node that has just been changed.

This worked fine in v2.8.1 and v2.9.0 so appears to have been introduced in v2.9.1.

As mentioned, this is occurring in a couple of rulesets, one of which is so basic there is very little scripting going on.

Unfortunatly this is making FG2 unusable at the moment as it crashes whenever a player changes their character sheet, so any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Skellan
July 30th, 2012, 12:43
I am having this problem at the moment and it means I cant use Fantasy Grounds.....help! hehe

neilgfoster
July 30th, 2012, 13:10
Here's some details on how to recreate the issue. I have recreated it in both my WFRP 3rd edition and WFRP 1st edition rulesets but I believe that it may affect any ruleset that uses a formatted text fields on the character sheet.

Heres the steps to recreate it using my WFRP 1st edition ruleset - which is a very basic ruleset that contains little scripting

1) Download the ruleset from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wfrpv1/files/
2) Start FG2 and create a new campaign
3) Start FG2 again and connect to the host as a player
4) In the player session, create a new character. Enter some text into the 'Background' section on the first tab of the character sheet. Close the character sheet
5) On the host session, open the same character sheet. Observe that the background information is the same as entered on the player session. Change the text in the background. Close the character sheet
6) Observe that the player session now crashes.

phantomwhale
July 30th, 2012, 14:46
Yep, I can recreate that (set to use latest test version, but I think now 2.9.1 is released, I'm on that).

Worth noting there is no formatted text field on any PC sheet in SW (which are the only nodes where player's can be node owners), therefore this is why I've probably not seen this behaviour. I'm not a 4E player, but dare say this might also be the case there.

It's always been a bit of a "problem" field with slightly non-standard behaviour, formatted text. I feel it was probably a bit of a "kludge" when first added (before JPGs reign).

Still, if this is a new crash behaviour, maybe there is a chance of a patch. Otherwise the workaround is plain-text background only, which would be a shame (thoughts of upgrading the SW background panel to be a bit prettier coming to mind now...)

Skellan
July 30th, 2012, 19:31
It might be worth noting that I get this bug if any of the fields are changed not just text fields and only either the player or gm needs to make the changes for FG2 to close. I was considering buying an ultimate license as I have friends who want to play, but it is unplayable at the moment

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 19:45
It might be worth noting that I get this bug if any of the fields are changed not just text fields and only either the player or gm needs to make the changes for FG2 to close.
I've tried to recreate this and can't. Could you provide us with steps on how to reproduce the problem? Include which ruleset and any extensions you may be using. Thanks!

Skellan
July 30th, 2012, 19:57
I am using the wfrp 3rd ed ruleset from https://www.theforbiddentome.com/fantasygrounds/warhammerfantasyroleplayv3

Whenever either the host or client creates/modifies a character sheet and then closes the character sheet, it crashes the the other client or host.

This has been sending errors to look for a solution and I got a solution back saying that Windows data execution prevention has closed the program (FG2). Windows won't let me turn off DEP for FG2.

It is worth noting that others in my group don't seem to be having this problem. I am running vista 64 bit, so it could be that it doesn't like this operating system?

Library items and map sharing seems to work fine, its just the character sheets as far as I can tell.

I haven't been able to reproduce this problem with the 4E and 3.5E rulesets, but the posts above note problems with it

Thanks a lot for looking into this, if you need any more info, just let me know

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:04
I'm looking into it.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2012, 01:32
Well, I'm having problems recreating the issue. I downloaded the latest version of the ruleset, and removed the disable code in baseformattedtextfield.lua.

Here are the steps I took:

* Create new campaign with "WFRP v3" ruleset
* Log second instance of FG as client into new campaign
* Create a new character on the client side. (open char selection, select create)
* Change the name field.
* Change the notes field on front tab of character sheet.
* Close sheet.

I also tried opening the character sheet on the host side after initial character creation, and watched the changes to the sheet replicated on the host.

Can someone help walk me through steps to reproduce?

Thanks,
JPG

neilgfoster
August 8th, 2012, 08:50
Hi JPG,

In post #3 of this thread I give recreation steps using my WFRP v1 ruleset - which is a very simple ruleset with little scripting going on.

The issue is not changing formatted text values on the charsheet and seeing the changes on the host, but it is if the host then makes some further changes to the same formatted text field afterwards.

In the description of the steps that you went through, you mention only that you viewed the character sheet on the host - after some changes that I made to the WFRP v3 ruleset this will no longer cause the issue to manifest. Basically, the baseformattedtextfield template used to peform some text replacement in the onClose event of the control, even if it didn't need to. I changed the code to only apply these changes if required.

I think thats why you wont be seeing the issue with the steps that you went through. If you simple follow the same steps again but try editing the field on the host after the client has edited it, then you should experience the problem.

If you need anymore information then just PM me

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2012, 00:32
OK, I found a place in the code where a remote update was not updating some of the FTC structures correctly which could cause a crash.

Can you try the v2.9.2 test version to see if you still have the issue?

Thanks,
JPG

neilgfoster
August 9th, 2012, 09:07
Hi JPG,

I updated to v2.9.2 but am still getting the same issue of the client crashing after the host edits a formatted text field.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2012, 23:38
Just pushed another v2.9.2 test version with another patch for the FT fields.

JPG

neilgfoster
August 10th, 2012, 09:35
Hi JPG,

I think thats fixed it. I updated to the latest v2.9.2 and I cannot recreate the issue now. I will try the same steps in my other ruleset just to confirm.

Great work!