PDA

View Full Version : RMC Version 1.3.1 is now available in the store

ddavison
July 29th, 2012, 19:31
If you purchased through RPGNow/DriveThruRPG or through the FG store, you should have received an update announcement via email. You can re-download the updated version through your Order History (visible at the bottom of the Store page.)

Thanks to Dakadin and Lachancery for their support and for Lee Rice for his support up to this point.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGA080

Be sure to check out the user manual that is linked at the top of the product description on the link above. If you have any screenshots you'd like to share for the ruelset, please send them to [email protected] and we may add them to the product page.

-Doug

dr_venture
July 29th, 2012, 19:43
I just downloaded & installed the latest version via the download link in teh email I received from y'all. Everything looked like it went as it should, but when I launch FG and go to create a new campaign, the only Rolemaster option I see is for "RolemasterClassic." Selecting that brings up the ruleset detail below, which shows the version as 1.3. Also, All of the old extensions (I think) including "Extended RMC" are still there.

Does that all seem correct? For some reason, I expected there to either be 2 rulesets - which is what happened with the last (hopefully not literally) Castles & Crusades upgrade - or to not see the "Extended RMC" extension. I also expected to see the version reading "1.3.1" and not "1.3." Thanks for the update, tho! And thanks to the contributors who put in all that hard work!!!

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 20:01
Left me confused though, after this update. I might have gone blind, as I don't see where the frames and icons folders are now.

I seem to remember the Rolemaster folder was found under "rulesets", after the installation of this update, the "rulesets" folder of FG2

*edit: found out what happened after the update, the RM ruleset was installed as a .pak file in the root x86 folder*

Arion
July 29th, 2012, 21:10
It might just be me, but i can't get the lighting, colour, combat tracker, character or library buttons (top right to work). The attack resolver, tables and modifier buttons do work.

FG is updated to the latest version, and this is a newly created campaign

EDIT: Fixed it. Turns out i had the extend RMC option ticked. Works fine without

lachancery
July 29th, 2012, 21:42
For clarity's sake, the latest version of the ruleset includes all the functionality of Extend RMC plus the many updates to the library modules. Extend RMC is thus no longer needed when you have updated to v1.3.

Arion
July 29th, 2012, 21:54
I am very impressed with all the extra features! Might be worth mentioning that somewhere at the top of the user manual pdf though, as i am sure others will do what i did, which is start a new campaign and click smoothed stats and extend rmc

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 21:57
As lachancery points out, you don't need Extend RMC for version 1.3 of the ruleset. It includes everything from Extend RMC plus some things that we couldn't share because of copyright reasons. In fact if you enable Extend RMC you will actually be losing functionality so delete it so you won't have any trouble.

Arion
July 29th, 2012, 22:05
Sorry, i typed that quickly, and i didn't get it right!

What i meant was that i am extremely impressed with the features of 1.3!

dr_venture
July 29th, 2012, 22:09
Ok, so just to be clear, even though teh email said the new version is 1.3.1, it's actually 1.3... correct?

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 22:12
Sorry, i typed that quickly, and i didn't get it right!

What i meant was that i am extremely impressed with the features of 1.3!

Thanks. Let me know if you think of anything else. I maintain an list of things to work on for it and I am always looking for new ideas. Also let me know if you encounter any issues, I want this ruleset to run smoothly so you can focus on your games and not have to worry about the ruleset.

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 22:14
Ok, so just to be clear, even though teh email said the new version is 1.3.1, it's actually 1.3... correct?

Yes, as long as you have version 1.3 of any type you should be fine. You just don't want versions 1.1 or 1.2.

Also how is it running for you dr_venture? I know you were having a few problems in the past and I am curious if they still exist with this new version.

lachancery
July 29th, 2012, 22:43
Might be worth mentioning that somewhere at the top of the user manual pdf though, as i am sure others will do what i did, which is start a new campaign and click smoothed stats and extend rmc
Good suggestion. I'll add a section at the beginning of the docs about extensions, and I'll start a thread in the forum to track extension with a status of their compatibility.

Willot
July 29th, 2012, 23:46
Boy its been awhile since I played Rolemaster. Goin havta get the ol books out me thinks...

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 01:23

I just downloaded the pak version. It should show up as 1.3 in the ruleset list when creating a new campaign. After loading a campaign the first line of the chat will show version 1.3.11.

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 01:32
NPC Tables!!!!

(need I say more)

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 02:36
Yeah, I really like that feature. It is a big time saver for the GM. You can thank JohnD for recommending it.

For those that aren't aware of what we are talking about, the NPCs in the NPC table in Character Law can now be dragged to the campaign NPC list or opened by the GM. The specific weapons need to be added and spell lists need to be picked but the skills and most of the other details are already filled in.

Ardem
July 30th, 2012, 03:23
Oh crap looks like lots of changes to my extension to be had, oh well nothing better to do I guess.

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 06:25
Is there any other juicy extras that are different in this version?

Thanks to everyone involved

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 07:14
Is there any other juicy extras that are different in this version?
In comparison with Extend RMC you mean? It's all in the library module, as the rest of the features were being tested via Extend RMC. I would label the following "juicy" (it's in the release notes):

- All situational modifiers (not already automated) from the three core books are found in the modifiers icon. For quick reference during game, you can use the filter option in the lower left of the modifiers window.

- Base spell casting attack table and resistance roll tables include in list of tables in top right. By dragging the Base Spell Attack (from the new table at the root of the Spell Law) to the weapons section on the character sheet, non-elemental spells can be resolved as easily as a weapon attack.

- As was mentioned before, the NPC table and the animal/monster tables from Arms Law provide more quick drag options to create encounters.

I think that sums it up for "juicy", although there were a ton of other fixes made on the library modules, such as attack tables with wrong results, incomplete or missing tables, wrong information on primary or secondary skills, etc.

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 07:24
I was looking for those situational modifiers (I noticed them in your game in the FGcon). That's great. It's also great about the spells.

I also noticed there is a new section of unskilled actions in Charactes Law. Do I need to access them here or are these items that are in the combat tracker / elsewhere already?

Great work on the User Guide. Exactly what new users need.

Thanks again, the whole thing is very juicy. yahm..yahm..mm..yahm! Delicious.

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 07:44
Oh crap looks like lots of changes to my extension to be had, oh well nothing better to do I guess.

Sorry about the Ardem. :o I don't think I made many changes that should touch many of the same files that you were using but it probably will take awhile to verify that. Please let me know if you need any help.

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 07:58
As lachancery pointed out most of the juicy changes are module related because we couldn't share them without an official release. Some of the missing information in Creatures and Treasures chapters 10 and 11 has been added. We also fixed a lot of critical table results that didn't match the text. There might be a few more so let us know if you see any.

It was made compatible with FG v2.9. One nice thing about that you can resize some of the windows just by moving to the edge of the window. A resize arrow will appear and you can just click and drag without using Ctrl.

craggles
July 30th, 2012, 08:14
It's great that all the hard work of community members went into a new official release!

While going through the list of goodies Dakadin's Extend RMC did on top of RMC 1.2, I'd wondered why these weren't part of the official package.

Or was that always the idea and Dakadin's extension was merely a beta test of the features for 1.3?

As you can see, I'm very new to the forums and not entirely clear on the hierarchy - I actually bought FG & RMC 1.2 on Sat :D

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 08:26
It's great that all the hard work of community members went into a new official release!

While going through the list of goodies Dakadin's Extend RMC did on top of RMC 1.2, I'd wondered why these weren't part of the official package.

Or was that always the idea and Dakadin's extension was merely a beta test of the features for 1.3?

As you can see, I'm very new to the forums and not entirely clear on the hierarchy - I actually bought FG & RMC 1.2 on Sat :D

Welcome to FG craggles! :D

Actually Extend RMC started out with me just trying to provide some additional functionality that I saw in some of the other rulesets. Then I started making changes that would help a GM run a game a bit smoother. When lachancery and I started adding module information that we couldn't share without an official release, we started working to get things updated in the official RMC ruleset. Extend RMC was a beta test for some of that time but the last couple months there weren't many updates because I had already merged it with the RMC ruleset. So my game became the alpha testers and lachancery's game was the beta testers.

I hope you enjoy it.:)

Please let us know if you have any ideas.

craggles
July 30th, 2012, 09:10
Welcome to FG craggles! :D

I hope you enjoy it.:)

Please let us know if you have any ideas.

Thank you! I'm sure I will enjoy it - but first, I'm going to be having fun as a player in bennis1980 game. :D

I do have some ideas but I think some of them aren't covered in FG at all yet. (I've been looking at the feature request page for FG 3 and added my votes there) but they include:

Player facing with suggested flank and rear bonuses to apply for the GM. I'm not sure when a player/NPC wouldn't get a rear and/or flank bonus from those positions but having it as an option popup would keep the overall control with the GM but also make sure he doesn't miss them. :)

Automatic range modifiers for missile/thrown/directed spells to the attack roll. I suppose this will need to be taken from the character sheet as superior/magical/spell mastery could mean the ranges were different from the original RMC tables.

Automatic 'pace' suggestions for distance moved for full, 75%, half and 25% activity. So if you wanted to move from 'a' to 'b', which is a distance of 'x', it would popup with 4 suggested paces you'd need to cover the distance for the % activity you want to use for movement based on your character's Move.

I'm not sure where I read it as I'd read loads of forum threads in the last few weeks (and my memory is abysmal), but at one time the tokens weren't able to lock to a hex grid as they do with a square one. For the automatic facing penalties and bonuses, a hex grid is the easiest to see it on. Someone on the forum was shot down when they said that Rolemaster uses a Hex grid by default so I'm not going to say that but ICE did always have a hex grid in the back of the books to photocopy and in the section on facing penalties, to illustrate it, they showed a player on a hex grid so whenever I GM, a hex grid is used and I intend to use the same for FG games as well. Having tokens locked to the grid would be needed for that (or a toggle so the GM can decide not to have them locked to the centre if he preferred or for certain situations).

There were more that I can't remember but will come back to me in the coming weeks of playing. Also, in the player demo at the FG Con, I mentioned some to lachancery as well. :D

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 09:29

You would want to get the hierarchy right or your risk execution, or even worse, banishment!!! :D

You are very welcome on board my campaign, I'm quite new to all thir myself. It will be great to try the new version of RMC (especially the NPC table, I'm fond of NPC enemies and this will make it a doddle). I agree with your suggestions. Maybe you should put as many of them as you can think of in Dakadin's Idea Informer (https://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/proj/) which he set up recently and I've been meaning to use myself.

craggles
July 30th, 2012, 09:44
I agree with your suggestions. Maybe you should put as many of them as you can think of in Dakadin's Idea Informer (https://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/proj/) which he set up recently and I've been meaning to use myself.

I've added the first 2 ideas but I seem to be unable to add more. :(

I am the first it seems though - but the update only came yesterday. :P

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 10:16
I just added two myself (one was a variation on your pace idea above)

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 14:50
I'm not sure where I read it as I'd read loads of forum threads in the last few weeks (and my memory is abysmal), but at one time the tokens weren't able to lock to a hex grid as they do with a square one.
Last I checked (it was during my Friday tutorial you attended I believe), the token snapping on the hex grids was fixed, and the distance calculated were right. Let us know if you encounter any problem with hex grids.

I agree with your suggestions (hadn't thought of your pacing idea though), they also rank high on my wish list.

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 15:02
I also noticed there is a new section of unskilled actions in Charactes Law. Do I need to access them here or are these items that are in the combat tracker / elsewhere already?
There are four unskilled actions left in the table:

The Base Casting Roll is used to cast non-attack spells. In the base rules, these spells always succeed on a roll above 01-02. A player could simply roll a straight D100. It becomes useful to drag over to the character sheet when using extraordinary spell casting optional rules, as there might be other modifiers that provide bonus to these rolls.

Dodge and Movement can be rolled directly from the combat tracker by dragging/double-clicking the shadow dice under the Move rate. That roll is locked to using Ag/Qu modifier only though. These become useful to drag over to the character sheet when a character has special abilities or modifiers for these situations, as they would need to be manually set as modifiers for every roll.

When making maneuvers while stunned, the SD stat bonus is used to reduce the penalty from being stunned. This is automated, but locked. Again, if the character has special abilities or modifiers that increase this bonus, it could be tracked here. (But since it's not normally a roll, this is less useful, unless the character's special ability allows a roll.)

craggles
July 30th, 2012, 15:24
Last I checked (it was during my Friday tutorial you attended I believe), the token snapping on the hex grids was fixed, as the distance calculated were right. Let us know if you encounter any problem with hex grids.

I agree with your suggestions (hadn't thought of your pacing idea though), they also rank high on my wish list.

Well if snapping on the hex grid works, all is well. Is it an option to do that as our tokens weren't central to the hexes in the little dummy test we did with Brian after creating our characters.

I'm glad you liked the pacing idea - I noticed you trying to do the mental arithmetic in the FG Con demo trying to work out what pace would be needed to move 'x' distance. And then needing to adjust it as someone wanted to do an action that round as well as move or vice versa which is what gave me the idea of displaying multiple options based on several % activities. :)

I mentioned several on that Friday night but I can't remember what all of them were - but I'm sure they'll come to me after we play a few more sessions.

JohnD
July 30th, 2012, 15:29
Haven't looked at the new version yet, but on the surface this looks like a good step forward. So glad I choose FG when I was looking for a VTT to play on-line.

Dakadin
July 30th, 2012, 15:33
Well if snapping on the hex grid works, all is well. Is it an option to do that as our tokens weren't central to the hexes in the little dummy test we did with Brian after creating our characters.

They won't be in the right spot if you change from a square to a hex grid. If you move them though they will snap to the center or points of the hexes. I used a hex grid in my SpaceMaster 2 game for the convention and it worked very well.

I'm glad you liked the pacing idea - I noticed you trying to do the mental arithmetic in the FG Con demo trying to work out what pace would be needed to move 'x' distance. And then needing to adjust it as someone wanted to do an action that round as well as move or vice versa which is what gave me the idea of displaying multiple options based on several % activities. :)

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while now but gotten to it yet. It would definitely speed up things in my game.

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 15:40
Bear in mind that in FG (by design), tokens can snap to the center of the square/hex, or one of its corners. With a hex grid, there are two more corners to snap to, and if the grid is small (like I had it in the test), it's easy to miss the center. (That just made me think an option toggle to turn off snapping to corners might be useful...)

If you're wondering, I believe there are two ideas behind snapping on edges: 1) to align creatures that are larger than one square/hex; and 2) for finer positioning, especially useful when using a larger grid size allowing more than one person in a single square/hex.

bennis1980
July 30th, 2012, 15:42
I can clarify the mistake I made:

I drew the grid after placing the tokens down. I wasn't really concentrating on the map as I had everyone's character open during the creation session.

The hex grid normally works perfectly when I set up a test player on the laptop using my lite licence. I will also have all the maps set up before sharing it during proper sessions.

Apologies for causing confusion (It's great to learn these things early on though)

JohnD
July 31st, 2012, 05:11
OK so took a cursory look... very nice.

Especially those NPC Tables that I requested... they are making a band of brigands quite easy to generate. ;)

Speaking of the NPCs from the table, is there any way to edit say their initiative modifier? Right now the number is pre-populated (good), but greyed out so I can't modify up/down.

Dakadin
July 31st, 2012, 05:49
OK so took a cursory look... very nice.

Especially those NPC Tables that I requested... they are making a band of brigands quite easy to generate. ;)

Speaking of the NPCs from the table, is there any way to edit say their initiative modifier? Right now the number is pre-populated (good), but greyed out so I can't modify up/down.

Yes you can. Initiative bonus is based on the way Creatures & Treasures does it so if you want to change it just click the Attack Quickness field to change the attack quickness and the Init Mod will automatically change. Right now you need to click to cycle through the attack quicknesses.

JohnD
August 1st, 2012, 01:08
Sweet - thanks.

Ardem
August 2nd, 2012, 10:38
Hi guys, is it just me or is the resolve table now taking a little longer, with this version.

Even the latest Extend RMC was not delaying on resolve. I am waiting on average 4-7 seconds, in the past it was about 2-3 seconds.

This is not to do with critical but standard hits. Also had one C2D on resolve as well.

Not a huge deal but may affect a little on flow in combat.

Edit: I just figured it out You loading all tables on Resolve window. So it is faster if you do not close resolve window, a habit I will need to change. Is there a GM preference around this, cause I am not sure if I will be able to break the habit

lachancery
August 2nd, 2012, 11:25
I also noticed more latency. I had a hunch it could be because the ruleset was in PAK format, but I haven't tested this idea yet.

Ardem
August 2nd, 2012, 13:25
Give the man a cigar it cuts a full second or two.

From 'noticeable' to 'thats ok'.

I unpak the pak file into ruleset and removed the pak file.

Easy peezy.

Dakadin
August 2nd, 2012, 15:42
Good catch. I didn't notice anything because when developing I always have it in folder format.

Also you don't have to delete the pak file. If you have a folder in the rulesets which contains the same ruleset it will take precedence. The same is true of extensions. It speeds things up if you are working on them since you don't have to zip them up every time you are ready to test.

JohnD
August 2nd, 2012, 15:53
So is there something we should do with the new version to speed things up? I may not have understood these last few posts correctly.

Dakadin
August 2nd, 2012, 16:24
This is not to do with critical but standard hits. Also had one C2D on resolve as well.

Was the C2D a result on an attack table? Can you tell me which table it is on so I can fix it?

Dakadin
August 2nd, 2012, 16:27
So is there something we should do with the new version to speed things up? I may not have understood these last few posts correctly.

I sent you a private message explaining it. I want to do more tests and work with Doug before I start showing people how to change it. It wouldn't be an issue right now but would potentially cause problems when the next update is released.

Ardem
August 2nd, 2012, 16:47
Quarterstaff. But it hasn't happen again, since unpaked

ddavison
August 4th, 2012, 22:41
The PAK format is mostly to simplify installs and updates and it *should* improve connection speeds for players. This slow-down of activity when comparing a PAK version and an un-pak'd version has probably always been there but was not noticed until now. I'll float it by Moon_wizard to see if there are any changes we can make globally to address it.

Dakadin
August 4th, 2012, 23:05
Thanks Doug.

Ardem
August 5th, 2012, 07:29
Interesting bug and it can be replicated

If a character is deleted and readded during a share combat window, they are then unable to roll using the Attack OB. No error message however there is a message in chat that says 'Attack table missing'.

If I close the combat window then reshare, without making changes to who is included then the player is able to roll. Adding new attacks does not fix the issue either you must reshare.

However the host version is not impacted whatsoever in anything you do within the combat window. This is a client side only bug.

(RMC only no extensions)

bennis1980
August 5th, 2012, 07:38
Ardem,

I too encountered that bug, I just wasn't able to report on it as effectively as you have and assumed it was something I was doing wrong. It was exactly as you described above.

Dakadin
August 5th, 2012, 22:11
Thanks for reporting it. I will look into it.

bennis1980
August 5th, 2012, 23:41
I've noticed another bug. We had a bar room brawl (in the game, not a real one) and I had the brawling attack set up for all of the NPCs. Their attacks went fine, loading on the Resolver. When I right clicked and clicked on the critical, nothing came up (no brawling critical table :( ). The crits work fine for other attacks.

Dakadin
August 6th, 2012, 00:12
I've noticed another bug. We had a bar room brawl (in the game, not a real one) and I had the brawling attack set up for all of the NPCs. Their attacks went fine, loading on the Resolver. When I right clicked and clicked on the critical, nothing came up (no brawling critical table :( ). The crits work fine for other attacks.
Good catch. I looked through my copies of RMC Arms Law and I don't see it in there either. In fact the attack table just says to use the critical table appropriate for the item used to attack. RMSS Arms Law has a brawling critical table but I don't know if I am allowed to add it to the RMC ruleset.

If I can't add it which of the existing criticals would you suggest as the default critical? MA Strikes? Krush? Impact? Something else?

A way to work around it is to use the Add Critical #1 and Add Critical #2 fields. Just drag the appropriate critical table to the field. Then when you right click an attack result with a critical there will be radial menu options for the criticals you setup. They should be straight down and down to the left.

JohnD
August 6th, 2012, 00:15
Granted, I don't understand all the issues with the different iterations of essentially the same ruleset, but the RMSS table would be the optimal choice IMO.

There were a few times I had to use it when GMing in the past and the table was quite appropriate to what was going on in game.

bennis1980
August 6th, 2012, 00:21
I agree. The last thing I want is my party in trouble with the guards for killing someone while partaking in a friendly bar room brawl.

I wouldn't mind even if I had to enter all of the results by hand (if it's a legal issue).

Dakadin
August 6th, 2012, 00:33
I agree. The last thing I want is my party in trouble with the guards for killing someone while partaking in a friendly bar room brawl.

I wouldn't mind even if I had to enter all of the results by hand (if it's a legal issue).

The RMSS Brawling critical table does have some deadly results so they still might be in trouble.

bennis1980
August 6th, 2012, 00:41
They are deadly (that's irish for great, so is "lethal")

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:47
Just pushed a test version (v2.9.2) with some speed optimizations around loading script files from disk (folder or PAK).

When Dakadin mentioned this to me, I remembered that the original developers had set up class scripts to load from disk every time a new instance was instantiated. Great for debugging scripts, not so good for speed. So, I worked up a patch for the next version.

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,
JPG