PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Characters and Campaigns

NEPHiLiX
July 28th, 2012, 09:12
After a long hiatus of about 6 months, I'm finally about to get started again with RM. The group is considering going back to an older campaign that I ran from my laptop but I've encountered a couple of problems. First, I can't figure out how to transfer characters from my laptop to my desktop instance of FGII. Second, for whatever reason when I copy all the campaign files from my laptop to my desktop instance of FGII then load FGII, it says that that particular campaign.xml is empty, even though I know it isn't (and it doesn't appear on the load campaign window list). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

NEPHiLiX
July 28th, 2012, 09:39
BTW, for whatever reason I get the same "campaign.xml is empty" error when I load up the original campaign on my laptop (where it should work)...

bennis1980
July 28th, 2012, 10:41
Have you tried the /export function which will export your campaign. Also the /exportchar function works the same but for characters.

Move the created .xml or .mod files to the corresponding folder on the other computer in the appdata folder.

Then /import and /importchar should work.

Let me know how you get on

NEPHiLiX
July 28th, 2012, 11:35
I'd love to try that but the problem is that immediately after pressing the "Load Campaign" button I get this error: "Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file campaigns/Night Below/campaign.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty", which prevents me from selecting/loading that campaign to enable me to use the /export or /exportchar functions...

Thanks for the quick reply, btw!

lachancery
July 28th, 2012, 13:37
Are you able to load the old campaign on your laptop? (Couldn't figure out from your previous messages if you are seeing these errors on your new desktop or the old laptop.

The way I would suggest to proceed is A) load the Extend RMC on your old laptop and launch the campaign. B) run /exportchar to save the characters into its own XML. C) create a new campaign on the desktop. D) load Extend RMC on your new desktop and run /importchar on the new campaign.

These steps assume of course you can load your old campaign on your laptop. Another way would be to try to do it by hand by manipulating the XML files directly. Dakadin is the best person to do this, but it's not my place to nominate him for the job... ;)

bennis1980
July 28th, 2012, 14:29
Lachancery,
If you nominate him, I'll second that :)

NEPHiLiX,
I was also thinking that if you were missing for some time, could the updated version of FG not be compatible with your campaign files. That is of course assuming you have 1) updated the software and 2) that campaign files can indeed be uncompatible with the FG software version. (answer is with greater minds than mine)

That's my tu'pence worth!

NEPHiLiX
July 28th, 2012, 15:32
Unfortunately for me, Lachancery, the odd thing is that I can't load it (and a few other campaign.xmls) on my desktop (FGII v.2.9.1) or on my laptop (FGII v.2.8.1). Bennis1980: I haven't updated my laptop version of FGII for fear that there would be the kind of conflict you suggested (that might prevent me from using my campaign files), so that's likely not the issue.

In case you can spot a missed step/mistake (assuming a dependent file isn't corrupted), here's what I did:
(1) copied the entire "Night Below" campaign folder into the ".../AppData/Roaming/FGII/Campaigns" folder;
(2) copied and replaced the RolemasterClassic.xml file in the ".../FGII/Characters" folder (after backing up the one I replaced in a different area);
(3) copied the campaign.dat file and its containing folder to the ".../FGII/cache" folder (in case that was necessary...I did this only after receiving the error that prompted the initial post).

Did I miss (or screw) something (up)?

Ardem
July 28th, 2012, 15:52
Dakadin is a busy man (or should be he has heaps more extend RMC changes to make <wink>), if you want send me your campaign db folder I could probably figure out your error or at the very least export your data.

You can delete the cache, it is not needed(also a good starting point for issue, if not delete atleast move away temp). however the campaign folder is. The real data of your chars and info is in db.xml. My guess is your version of db.xml is not matching up with many of the new changes.

It should be a relative easy process to compare a blank db.xml and yours to locate the missing xml info.

Dakadin
July 28th, 2012, 22:12
Dakadin is a busy man (or should be he has heaps more extend RMC changes to make <wink>), if you want send me your campaign db folder I could probably figure out your error or at the very least export your data.

LOL. Thanks Ardem. Lately, I've been working on a couple other things which is why you haven't seen as many updates for Extend RMC.

NEPHiLiX, a couple quick things you can try:
1. Send it to Ardem and let him do it. ;)
2. Try opening the db.xml in an XML editor to see if it is just missing a tag somewhere.
3. See if you have any db.backup.*.xml files. These occur when FG crashes and they tend to be good copies to go back to.
4. You can create a new campaign and open the old and new db.xml file. Copy just the things you want. This can be a bit tedious though.

Please let me know if you have any trouble. If there is any data in the db.xml, I can likely get you that data.

Ardem
July 29th, 2012, 04:56
Ok try this it has worked for me.

On your new computer running 2.9.1, create a new campaign called Night Below.

Then overwrite your db.xml with the one in the campaign folder. Make sure no extension are attached for now.

For me it displayed the characters and story etc. No images yet, I will copy them from the campaign folder, in a second.

But it works with only the db.xml copied in that directory so far.

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 04:58
Nice job! I am curious what file is causing the error. Would you mind adding one at a time until you get the error so we can find out?

Ardem
July 29th, 2012, 05:01
I have now copied your User settings folder, the images folder, portraits, drawings, moduledb, temp and still no error. So these can be used.

However in your image folder your have subfolders ofcourse you know these images will not display in your campaign. RMC will only look into the flat folder for 'images' not within subfolders.

@dakadin actually that was my plan <smile>. I am still a techie at heart.

Ardem
July 29th, 2012, 05:07
Located your issue the Campaign.xml is corrupted everything else is fine. If you do as I say above. As they are really the only files you need, FG will create a new campaign.xml

Opening the campaign.xml you will see what I mean a series of squares where the code should be 3-4 lines of legible text.

Easy peezy.

NEPHiLiX
July 29th, 2012, 05:19
Brilliant Ardem, it worked! You just saved me from having to scrap a huge campaign!

(Thanks also to Dakadin for offering to take a look at the issue as well).

Great support, boys!

NEPHiLiX
August 3rd, 2012, 23:48
I was wondering if you tech gurus could solve another quick issue. One of my friends is visiting from Canada (I'm in Korea) and brought a new laptop along. We're getting ready to fire up this campaign but, as you might expect, he can't take ownership of his character for the campaign because he's using a completely new laptop that has never, until now, had FG installed on it. His character is perfectly visible and accessible on my host instance of FG, though (he can't see any of the characters except new ones that I created since my fresh install of this campaign via this thread). Is there anything I can do that will allow him to use his old character, or does he basically just have to manually re-input it in his PC?

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2012, 23:51
I was wondering if you tech gurus could solve another quick issue. One of my friends is visiting from Canada (I'm in Korea) and brought a new laptop along. We're getting ready to fire up this campaign but, as you might expect, he can't take ownership of his character for the campaign because he's using a completely new laptop that has never, until now, had FG installed on it. His character is perfectly visible and accessible on my host instance of FG, though (he can't see any of the characters except new ones that I created since my fresh install of this campaign via this thread). Is there anything I can do that will allow him to use his old character, or does he basically just have to manually re-input it in his PC?
Character ownership is tied to the player name entered when joining the session - so I'm guessing your friend is not joining with the same player name. This is shown as the "owned by" label in character selection.

One option is as GM, right-click on his character and select "clear owner" - then your friend will be able to select the character.

However, if they have other items in the campaign - such as personal notes, they will need to join with the original player name so that they can see all of those things.

Dakadin
August 3rd, 2012, 23:52
As the GM on the character list window, right click on the characters you want him to see and select the Clear Owner option. He should be able to see them after that.

EDIT: Trenloe beat me too it. :p

NEPHiLiX
August 3rd, 2012, 23:54
By the Tech Gods! Brilliant and fast as lightning, haha!

Thanks guys!

lachancery
August 4th, 2012, 02:38
Another comment in this thread that had me scratching my head at the beginning: the owner ID is case-sensitive. To quote my player's original issue, the user "lopan" is different than "LoPan". :(

Dakadin
August 4th, 2012, 02:58
Another comment in this thread that had me scratching my head at the beginning: the owner ID is case-sensitive. To quote my player's original issue, the user "lopan" is different than "LoPan". :(

Ownership is case sensitive so FG sees those two names as different users.

NEPHiLiX
August 10th, 2012, 09:05
Nice...I would never have thought to consider that.

On another note, none of my tokens are visible in the recovered campaign, although they are for any other campaign. Any ideas?

Dakadin
August 10th, 2012, 17:53
When you say the tokens aren't visible, do you mean they aren't visible in the token box or they aren't visible for NPCs that you previously created?

NEPHiLiX
August 10th, 2012, 22:28
When you say the tokens aren't visible, do you mean they aren't visible in the token box or they aren't visible for NPCs that you previously created?

They aren't visible in either case!

Trenloe
August 10th, 2012, 22:34
Check to see where your tokens are actually located. Go to <FG Application data folder> and look in tokens\host or the <campaign name>\tokens directory for each campaign.

See where the tokens are for the campaigns you can see them in - if they are in one or more of the <campaign name>\tokens directories and you use them a lot then I would suggest copying them to tokens\host so that all campaigns will have access to them.

Dakadin
August 10th, 2012, 22:35
Would you mind zipping up the campaign and sending it to me so I can try to replicate it?

NEPHiLiX
August 10th, 2012, 22:42
That worked Trenloe--I had to copy them to a tokens folder in the specific campaign.