PDA

View Full Version : Town Gates Battlemap (Square)

Yospeck
July 27th, 2012, 10:34
(sorry for using a direct link, every time I tried to add it as an extension it was telling me the .jpg was an invalid file)

Made this for the start of my Forgotten Realms D&D 4E Campaign that's about to start, going off the lore from 4E the town of Glister was overrun by a horde of assembled orcs, goblins, ogres et al. My party will be part of the defenses of this historic moment.

The map itself is completely hand drawn and is actually my first steps into purely illustrative maps (previously I've always gone for a more photoshoppy/realistic look using items from RPGMap Share/Dundjinni, etc. for items and furniture). Very happy with the final outcome and this is definitely the style I will be persuing.

Clicky for map (will probably minimize to your browser window so you can zoom in for more detail) (https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46904&d=1343264262)

Rainy version from my DA site (the map is the same size as the one above if you download it) - This is the map I'm using for my own encounter (https://yospeck.deviantart.com/art/DnD-Battlemap-The-Town-of-Glister-317266280)

Map Synopsis: The party are called to defend the main gate and assemble on the on the walls trying to kill mobs making their way to the city gates (the white block under the wall). The gate itself has hit points, enough damage on it from the invaders and the gates bust open. The defenders need to hold out for 25 turns until the town Archmage appears to rain down some mighty destruction.

As it's primarily caster/ranged focused, my melee guys will be fighting off random mobs that do get up onto the ramparts further down the wall (appearing from the East/West side of the map randomly) but the pary's melee characters can also drop rocks through the machicolations (little holes in the ramparts) on any mobs that make it adjacent to the wall, mobs within two squares of the wall are out of of LOS for ranged. Ranged characters can lean over the wall to gain another square LOS (not those adjacent to the wall though) but forfeit their cover, which is dangerous as there's a higher level Archer popping in and out of the heavy rain cover taking shots.

As there is heavy rain the viewing distance is 5 squares and so the Archer keeps moving back into cover.

On turn 10 a level 6 Ogre appears (my guys are level 1, but he has no melee contact with them) who starts doing major damage on the doors. Due to this, in the event that the Ogre does break down the door, they will have to fight him on the other side of the wall as minions pour in.

This map is useable for FG, I've held back the high quality print version as I intend to release all the maps of this Campaign (set in Thar) as a larger Adventure Campaign, hopefully for sale (though dont know the in's and out's of player contributed content when it comes to WOTC :P ). But hopefully this is useable for you folks.

Zeus
July 27th, 2012, 12:45
Very nice Yospeck, I really like hand drawn/painted maps. I like the nice soft colour palette you have used as well.

I am sure I will find a use for the map very soon. Cheers.

Griogre
July 27th, 2012, 22:20
Nice map, thanks for posting it - I think I'll find a place for it in either my Pirates or D&D game soon. :)

damned
July 28th, 2012, 05:06
yeah me too - nice job.

Claybot
July 28th, 2012, 06:26
Great map, looks really good.

Yospeck
July 28th, 2012, 14:30
Cheers guys, glad you like :) Working on a bigger project already *gulp*

Torgaard
August 2nd, 2012, 02:00
Outstanding! Love the map, dig your style.