PDA

View Full Version : New Pathfinder Game, Ereiasis, Sunday Evening Central

mgholson
July 27th, 2012, 01:06
Looking for around 6 players for a new Pathfinder game. Before you jump on board and sign up read on and see if its the kind of game you wish to play.

No voice, I won't use voice. Pathfinder core rules, 1st level, which means no ninjas, gun slingers, just the basics. Expect about 60% RP and 40% combat on the whole, there will may be extended times crawling around dark tunnels, and there may be extended times role playing, politics, and the like. I like RPGs for the story so that will play a large role in this game.

I'll be scheduling a weekly game on Sunday evening around 7-8 central and planning on playing no longer then 3-4 hours. I'd like to have 6 players and I hope that at least 5 of them can make every game, if you have to miss a game that is completely understandable, but don't expect to get XP when you're not there. Characters won't all level at the same time because I give bonus XP out and some people make all the games while others miss. IF the thought of some player being a level higher then you for a week or two turns your stomach this won't be the game for you.

Setting: homebrew, Ereiasis. The back-story (short version) is as follows, There is an old Empire (think Rome) which is begining to come apart. Wizardly Magic was outlawed hundreds of years ago and those who wish to practice the banned arts must do so at the peril of death. Clerical magic is tightly controlled by a hierarchical church.

Barbarians from the cold Northern hinterlands raid and plunder the North Empire, while an uneasy truce with the dwarves to the South threatens to unravel.

Ereiasis lies across the ocean to the West, few people have set foot on the island and returned for it said to be a paradise. The knights of Ereiasis are said to have no equal in the entire world and magic abounds, the high standard of living and power if the island is all made possible by the benevolent power of the Fae.

The Emperor has sent an envoy to the legendary island kingdom of Ereiasis seeking an alliance. The envoy includes military ministers, trade ministers, a priest, security and sailors to man the ship, and it is led by the Emperor's youngest son. The envoy also includes you.

Perhaps you're a stowaway, a sailor, a soldier, an explorer, a priest, or even a secret sorcerer but all party members will be on the ship for uncharted territory.

If you're interested reply with a short character sketch or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Gwaihir Scout
July 27th, 2012, 15:19
I might be interested in your game. It would be nice to get a little more RP than you can get from PFS.

I'd like to ask you a few questions:

1) You say being a wizard carries the death penalty. You also say that a player could be a secret sorcerer. Does the restriction apply to all arcane casters, including bards? How hard is it to hide that your magic isn't divine?

2) On a related note, when you say that clerical magic is controlled, does that simply mean that clerics who can use magic are monitored and evaluated by the authorities, or are there strict guidelines on the use of the spells themselves?

3) How are druids and rangers affected by the magic restrictions?

4) How do you handle paladins? Are you strict to the letter of the code in the CRB? Do you allow paladins to chose pragmatism over personal honor when greater things are at stake? Do the Empire's paladins have a different code than the standard one?

5) Barbarians and dwarves are at odds with the empire. Is there anything about playing a barbarian or dwarf (or any non-human race) we should know ahead of time?

6) Really, no XP for missing a game, even with advance notice and letting someone play my character? Doesn't that just make things harder for you?

7) Any significant house rules?

I've been wanting to try a wizard in a campaign, but I'd like to know more about the situation first. I may wait and see what the party needs before I decide what to play.

mgholson
July 27th, 2012, 16:04
Thank you for the questions, deffinitly give me some things to consider. I played one game of PFS and it wasn't for me, good game, but not my style.

I want to stress that the game is not actually goint to take place in The Empire or at least the first adventure, so much of this is just back story.

1. Arcane magic is outlawed, but there are several people who practice it in secret, this is more of a historical precident and less then a modern reality. It dates back to a great purge when arcane magic users were exiled at pain of death from the Empire. Today the Empire lacks the strength to enforce its own borders and the ban on magic is not a high prioroty, therefore scattered groups of arcane magic users have sprung up and keep a low profile. Basically this just explains the low magic setting of the empire.

2. Let me think on this one a bit, I'm still thinking about religion in The Empire, but in short it will have little effect on the use of a cleric, just that they will be initially loyal to the motherchurch.

3. Druids and Rangers are not going affected in anyway by the magic ban or the church, other then to say that neither is well liked or trusted by the Empire and if they do live in the Empire it would be on the frontiers. Or they could be travelers from other lands.

4. I tend to be pragmatic in general, but in general the Empire is lawful/good or at least is supposed to be and the Paladins in it are standard issue.

5. Dwarves are rare in the Empire, in fact all non human races are rare there, but they all do exist. Dwarves would have two options, they have left their homelands for reason, or they are an official diplomatic Envoy of the dwarven kingdom which has been sent as a gesture of friendship with the humans. A Barbarian on the other hand would not be allowed on the boat openly, they would have to be stowaways or keeping their heritage secret.

6. OK I had some difficulty with this the last time I ran 3.5 Players were angry because I gave out small amounts of bonus XP for good role play, bright ideas, ect. every game and didn't reward XP for missing games. Therefore the players that made every game advanced faster then others. Advanced notice for missing games is nice, but it doesn't change the core of the matter, you weren't there. If someone else controlled that character that's different, the character was there even if you weren't so they would get XP. I'm not going to play missing characters and then give them XP.

I played alot of 2nd edition and when I did it was customary for our group to keep our character details secret. We didn't walk up and say, hi, I'm a 2nd level fighter with 24 hit points, what are you? Of course we'd figure it out pretty quickly, but it made the game alot more interesting. We weren't that worried about balance, but I know things are different now, everyone is supposed to be exactly balanced, so I make sure that no character lags behind for usually more then one game or two.

Hope none of that turns you off the game.

Gwaihir Scout
July 27th, 2012, 17:30
Sounds fine so far. Consider me signed up. I'll PM you more character-specific questions once I have a better idea of what I want to play.

Vishera
July 28th, 2012, 08:47
Sounds good to me, as long as they dont run too too long I should be good. Its funny it starts on a ship, this is how my PF campaign starts ;) Is there a calendar entry?

Lyconius
July 28th, 2012, 08:55
I'm interested, but would like to know more of what we can and cant be.... your story doesn't mention elves, and what alignments can we do? I have been looking in to making a chaotic good elf cleric, which i think could be cool for your story....pls let me know... been dying for a good pathfinder game for a while.

Dr_Babylon
July 28th, 2012, 09:44
I'm in, boss. Count on me for a female human Fighter with a distinctly mercenary background. Which is to say, a peculiar moral compass and less-than-sympathetic priorities but by no means an evil character.

B

lachancery
July 28th, 2012, 11:40
After swapping a few PMs with mgholson, I confirm the halfling people will be represented in this historic mission. I, Hushett Goldentongue, diplomat for my people, will help the big people reach this momentous alliance that will pave the path for future generations.

(Class will vary based on other characters in the group.)

mgholson
July 28th, 2012, 11:58
I've been working on a short guide to the setting and hopefully will have it done later today. I also sketched out a map

Haven't set up a game calander page yet because wasn't sure if I was going to start this Sunday night?

Dr_Babylon
July 28th, 2012, 21:33
Just sort of spit-balling here but I sort of imagined the less-offensive magic-users (bards, druids, unaffiliated priests) would be strictly regulated by any governing body.

"How long will you be practicing the arcane within our borders? Are you carrying any relics, scrolls, or enchantments on your person? If you draw spiritual potency from any Strange Gods (as described in article D12) please indicate which on the attached 241-B form. Failure to do so could result in censorship up to and including imprisonment, exile or nullification. Thank you and have a pleasant stay."

The idea being that there is still a state of fear regarding the largely unquantifiable powers and unthinkable motivations of these individuals. The average peasant understands that there are unusual forces at play in the world, but sleeps better knowing their benevolent government keeps putting the boots to 'em.

Just sayin'.

Gwaihir Scout
July 28th, 2012, 21:46
If anyone was wanting to know the party makeup, I might be playing a sneaky character. Can't say for sure until I get a couple of answers back from el jefe.

Ryde
July 28th, 2012, 22:19
I'm planning on playing Bard, already spoke to mgholson :)

lachancery
July 28th, 2012, 23:31
Old Empire, strong church, anti-magic... Somehow, I envisioned something less... "refined". More like the mob thing "MAGIC! BURN THE HERETIC!!" ;)

Just sort of spit-balling here but I sort of imagined the less-offensive magic-users (bards, druids, unaffiliated priests) would be strictly regulated by any governing body.

"How long will you be practicing the arcane within our borders? Are you carrying any relics, scrolls, or enchantments on your person? If you draw spiritual potency from any Strange Gods (as described in article D12) please indicate which on the attached 241-B form. Failure to do so could result in censorship up to and including imprisonment, exile or nullification. Thank you and have a pleasant stay."

The idea being that there is still a state of fear regarding the largely unquantifiable powers and unthinkable motivations of these individuals. The average peasant understands that there are unusual forces at play in the world, but sleeps better knowing their benevolent government keeps putting the boots to 'em.

Just sayin'.

mgholson
July 28th, 2012, 23:46
Here's the campaign guide v1.0

Expressed interest so far

Ryde: +
Doctor Babylon +
Wrathof42 +
lacancery +
gaara6666
Gwaihair Scout +
Lyconious
Tassadar

+ expressed character ideas

So for now consider the game closed until we see who is in. I think six players is plenty, but depending on how many regularly miss we could have a max of seven regular players.

If you have sent me a PM and I haven't responded my apologies.

I plan on putting up the server Sunday night 7/29 for character creation, if we have enough people we'll have a little adventure.

mgholson
July 29th, 2012, 19:52
Game calander is up

Character creation tonight 8 Central Time. IF we have enough players we'll start the game. If you can't make it that is fine.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=862

Dr_Babylon
July 30th, 2012, 05:48
Good start this evening, I thought. A pleasure to be involved on this project with the lot of you. I look forward to big things.

dr_Babylon (Sarx)

deepdweller
July 30th, 2012, 16:14
My apologies for missing the session last night. I signed up for the game via the calendar and missed this thread entirely. I hope I'm not to late to be involved. What sort of character does the party need? I'll work something up ASAP.

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 18:50
My apologies for missing the session last night. I signed up for the game via the calendar and missed this thread entirely. I hope I'm not to late to be involved. What sort of character does the party need? I'll work something up ASAP.
There was no group discussion to make up the party roles. So far, there's a confirmed fighter and rogue. The class of the other players (Garion and Hushett) are "unconfirmed".

We did a good amount of role-play on the boat yesterday (we didn't reach land). And of course, Hushett managed to get into trouble on the first night... Ahhh, them halflings. ;)

deepdweller
July 30th, 2012, 19:05
There was no group discussion to make up the party roles. So far, there's a confirmed fighter and rogue. The class of the other players (Garion and Hushett) are "unconfirmed".

We did a good amount of role-play on the boat yesterday (we didn't reach land). And of course, Hushett managed to get into trouble on the first night... Ahhh, them halflings. ;)
Sounds good. I think I'm going to go with a half-orc (Barbarian) slave. I love the idea of beginning a campaign as a slave. It takes me back to my old Dark Sun (2E) days. :)

May decide to multiclass in Cleric later.

mgholson
July 30th, 2012, 23:16
OK thanks for a very fun first session.

We have 4 confirmed players right now

Dr_Babylon = Sarx
GWaihir = Alanna
Wrath42 = Garion
Lachancery = Hushett

We have two opens spots and it looks like deepdweller has one of those so room for one more.

Lachancery has set us up an external forum (https://www.ereiasis.proboards.com/index.cgi) for the game, I'll post session synopsi and carry on most of the games correspondence through this forum. Also a good place for role playing that may happen between sessions.

If your interested in the last spot read the guide, PM a character background.

Thanks!

Next session Sunday Aug 6th 8PM Central

One4DRD
August 1st, 2012, 19:24
Hey guys I'm interested in joining the campaign as well I'm available just about every Sunday and the last gm I was talking with we haven't seen in over a week, so I'm free to play. I like playing as a ranged elf ranger or wizard which ever is needed.

mgholson
August 1st, 2012, 21:42
Sorry but it looks like I've already got my last two, the game is closed. Plan on keeping this going for a long time, if spots open up I'll PM you.

lachancery
November 28th, 2012, 03:49
*Bump* This game has been going on steady for 15 sessions with a great group, but alas, a player was finally claimed by the unfortunate necessities of real life... The GM mgholson (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?u=12930) is looking for a replacement. We play every Sunday night around 8:30pm EST and we only use typed FG chat - no voice! There is a good balance of roleplay vs tactical. The world setting is an original creation of the GM, and the scope involves continent spanning events (wars, etc.).

We are currently 5th level, playing Pathfinder. The party is composed of a halfling bard, a dwarf cleric, a human fighter, an elf thief/wizard and a human sorcerer.

Interested players can check our offline game forum (https://www.ereiasis.proboards.com/index.cgi) and contact the GM, or post here, for more information.

We are a mature, dedicated group, looking for similar qualities.

KingofKlubs
November 29th, 2012, 18:41
*Bump* This game has been going on steady for 15 sessions with a great group, but alas, a player was finally claimed by the unfortunate necessities of real life... The GM mgholson (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?u=12930) is looking for a replacement. We play every Sunday night around 8:30pm EST and we only use typed FG chat - no voice! There is a good balance of roleplay vs tactical. The world setting is an original creation of the GM, and the scope involves continent spanning events (wars, etc.).

We are currently 5th level, playing Pathfinder. The party is composed of a halfling bard, a dwarf cleric, a human fighter, an elf thief/wizard and a human sorcerer.

Interested players can check our offline game forum (https://www.ereiasis.proboards.com/index.cgi) and contact the GM, or post here, for more information.

We are a mature, dedicated group, looking for similar qualities.

It would be an honor and indeed a privilege to stand among such a fine and worthy player crew. Please, allow me to face the world with you