PDA

View Full Version : Problem Updating from the Launcher to 2.9.1

Griogre
July 26th, 2012, 22:15
When I press the update button on the launcher to update to 2.9.1 I get the following error in a messagebox:
HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)

When I download and update with the FGWebInstall.exe everything works fine. I'm not sure if its suppose to work that way. The OS is Win7 Pro, 64bit.

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2012, 23:38
I'll have to keep an eye on that.

It sounds like a permissions issue still, though FG is supposed to ask for admin rights when it runs the updater. Do you get a Windows UAC prompt when running the updater?

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
July 27th, 2012, 05:34
I get one now that I am updated when I press the button on the laucher. I don't remember getting one when I had the problem earlier, but I don't know if I would have remembered - honestly.

Dakadin
July 27th, 2012, 08:17
I have the same problem with the updater. If I rename the file and manually run it then it works fine. I think the issue is being caused because the UpdateEngine.exe is trying to replace itself while it is being used. It might be worth trying to rename the file before executing it so it just adds in the new version. Then you can just delete the file after it is done.

JPG if you need more information or just want to test a few things let me know. I will hold off from completing the update until then.

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2012, 08:32
I'll have to enable the old updater in the Dev slot tomorrow, so that one of you can help me track it down. For now, it would be great to get a copy of the update.log file after you turn on Debug mode in the updater.

Regards,
JPG

Dakadin
July 27th, 2012, 15:09
I just sent you the log.

gmkieran
August 1st, 2012, 03:26
Updated to 2.9.1 this evening and got a variation on this error, "Handlefile: Unable to move UpdaterEngine.exe" However, when I then selected the Updater from the FG programs menu I got a message saying that the UpdaterEngine.exe had been updated and FG would now check for updates to other modules. From there everything went fine.

Redbishop
August 1st, 2012, 13:58
I'm getting the same error message even when running the updater directly with admin rights

Griogre
August 2nd, 2012, 00:43
As a work around download and run the WebInstaller/Updater here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

darkling
August 2nd, 2012, 01:26
When I press the update button on the launcher to update to 2.9.1 I get the following error in a messagebox:
HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)

When I download and update with the FGWebInstall.exe everything works fine. I'm not sure if its suppose to work that way. The OS is Win7 Pro, 64bit.

Same error with my players here. One on XP, the other is on Win7, I believe 64-bit. I've directed both to the web installer download again. But really, I've been having nothing but problems with FG lately. It's getting really stressful keeping everyone up to date.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 08:20
I haven't been able to nail down why certain machines fail the move/copy for the updater replacement, other than that it appears to be a user rights issue.

FG runs the updater with the admin rights option on all versions of Windows newer than Windows XP. (not available on Windows XP) For some reason, it is not working on some configurations.

Darkling, for the users that failed:
* Do the user accounts they are using have admin rights?
* Do they get a pop-up when they hit the Updater button asking to allow FG to make changes to their computer?
* Any other information on the configurations that failed would be useful to help be recreate locally.

Thanks,
JPG

darkling
August 7th, 2012, 11:11
One of the computers that failed to update is here and we didn't do the re-install yet, so I poked at it to see what was happening. It's Win7, the program is installed in C:\FG2, the account has admin rights, UAC is turned off (now, anyway) and the problem persisted.

I renamed UpdaterEngine.exe to UpdaterEngine2.exe and ran it and the error vanished. It downloaded and put a new UpdaterEngine.exe file into the folder then updated everything else.

The updater app never closed or anything after downloading the new file so I am thinking it was trying to replace itself while already in use.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 18:13
Which error message did you receive?

"FantasyGroundsUpdater: UpdaterEngine move failed"
or
"HandleFile: "Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)"

Thanks,
JPG

xaotik1
August 8th, 2012, 01:26
getting "Unable to save file Fantasygrounds.exe" myself. . .even using the web installer. . .granted permissions as well. Web install fixed the earlier update issues, but not this one apparently.

darkling
August 8th, 2012, 02:56
HandleFile: "Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)"

That's what I got.

Callum
August 8th, 2012, 14:39
for the users that failed:
* Do the user accounts they are using have admin rights?
* Do they get a pop-up when they hit the Updater button asking to allow FG to make changes to their computer?
* Any other information on the configurations that failed would be useful to help be recreate locally.
I just ran it using the update button on the FG launcher, and got the "FantasyGroundsUpdater: UpdaterEngine move failed" error message. I have admin rights, I did get a pop-up asking for permission for FG to make changes, and I am running Windows Vista Enterprise SP2.

Callum
August 8th, 2012, 18:11
After cancelling out of the error message, I went to the Start Menu and tried to launch FG. This resulted in the updater running again, but taking an incredibly long time. I left it running, and came back four hours later to find it still running, but not progressing past "updating desktop/scripts/statchat_pointmode_range", so I cancelled the update.

I'm now running the Fantasy Grounds Updater itself from the Start Menu.

Hurrah! That seems to have worked.

Griogre
August 8th, 2012, 18:21
For those of you who are having trouble, Moon Wizard pushed out an update to the test release that should fix this issue: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17111

For the WebInstaller you might want to double check your settings are to live and make sure you say yes to letting the installer change your computer.

stmcallister40003
August 13th, 2012, 18:28
I'm using 2.9.1 and I was prompted to update. At nearly the end of the update I get a text box that says "GetPackageFiles:Network: connecting to host". I would expect the program to finish connecting, but nothing happens. No matter how many times I click okay, a new text box appears. I am currently using Windows Vista and I am in Afghanistan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2012, 21:31
Once the connection fails in the updater, it does not attempt to reconnect automatically. The error message says that the OS is telling the updater that the network connection was lost during the update process. I would guess that this is related to a wireless network or spotty Internet connection.

There is not an update to v2.9.1 yet. There was an incorrect change in the patch system that caused the update button to light up, but it has been fixed.

So, if you are on v2.9.1, you are good to go.

Regards,
JPG