PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster UI skin

Shockbolt
July 26th, 2012, 21:44
I recently acquired FG2 and the RM addon to it. I decided to "upgrade" the graphics to make them both easier to read and understand and at the same time create a more "pleasing to the eye" UI. Keep in mind, I'm doing this on my own, this is in no way something I'm doing for an official release of the RM addon for FG2.

There's still much work to be done but here's how it looks today:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx01.jpg

Dakadin
July 26th, 2012, 22:16
Nice job! I like the fact that you use text for some of the items. It makes it easier for me to track things down.

Shockbolt
July 26th, 2012, 22:52
I might end up using text or a text/image combo for most of the icons in the end. Obviously using text will speed up the gameplay as you don't have to memorize what the axe icon does, or what this and that image represents.

Ardem
July 27th, 2012, 04:18
nice work on the UI

Shockbolt
July 27th, 2012, 10:18
Continuing the work on the new graphics, posting another update later today.

Shockbolt
July 27th, 2012, 11:34
I noticed that the same icon is being used for multiple operations, such as the expand drawing icons. I'm creating unique icons for each operation, including them in the UI graphics, for possible use later on.

Shockbolt
July 27th, 2012, 14:10
Another update: More icons all over, refined some of the existing icons that I made earlier this week. New icons for minimized story, images, NPCs and items. Next up will be the various frames for everything.

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx02.jpg

Dakadin
July 27th, 2012, 15:13
Great job! I like how easy it is to identify things.

Dakadin
July 27th, 2012, 15:17
I noticed that the same icon is being used for multiple operations, such as the expand drawing icons. I'm creating unique icons for each operation, including them in the UI graphics, for possible use later on.

Very cool. I know there is reuse of the icons for some things. I can help you make them show up if you want but it might cause problems with other extensions if they are using the same files.

Blackfoot
July 28th, 2012, 20:26
Some very nice stuff here. I particularly like the chat window and the radial menu icons.

I'm not sure about the square bases for the right side buttons? Those look like they might feel better without the base... but all in all.. really nice stuff.

What about making the 'Modifier' Box feel more like the chat window?

Blackfoot
July 28th, 2012, 20:30
Did I mention I really like the chat window? Would you mind posting a copy of that file?

Shockbolt
July 28th, 2012, 20:31
Some very nice stuff here. I particularly like the chat window and the radial menu icons.

I'm not sure about the square bases for the right side buttons? Those look like they might feel better without the base... but all in all.. really nice stuff.

What about making the 'Modifier' Box feel more like the chat window?

Thanks! I plan to make the rest of the frames in a similar style as the chatbox, perhaps in a different metal color or just a darker grey metal color.

The icons to the right were first made square, as I started out with a flat stone slab type background for them. I never felt they were "spot on" myself either, so I'll experiment a bit with them as I go along with the rest of the UI.

Blackfoot
July 28th, 2012, 20:33
Sounds great. Keep us posted. :)
Are you building this as an extension or replacing graphics in the ruleset directly?

Shockbolt
July 28th, 2012, 20:39
Sounds great. Keep us posted. :)
Are you building this as an extension or replacing graphics in the ruleset directly?

Currently, I'm aiming to "just" replace most if not all of the graphics in the RM ruleset, making it easier to understand and faster to use. I'm not much of a programmer, I know how to tweak code but I find it much harder to code stuff from scratch :)

Blackfoot
July 28th, 2012, 21:39
Replacing graphics is a bit harder to share... I know when I first did it that was the only real solution I could come up with but there is at least one skin extension out there that you could tweak with your images to make an easily shareable version... I'll see if I can find the link..

Blackfoot
July 28th, 2012, 21:41
Ardem's RM Skin Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16218) can be found here.

Shockbolt
July 28th, 2012, 23:38
Ardem's RM Skin Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16218) can be found here.

Thanks Blackfoot, I'll look into it tomorrow and see if it's something I can use. :)

Shockbolt
July 28th, 2012, 23:40
Managed to add some of the tiles/tokens I painted for angband, and there's some UI frames updates as well. This screenshot has buttons without the squarish background. The tiles/tokens are mainly the Ringwraiths and some balrogs:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx03.jpg

craggles
July 28th, 2012, 23:56
It's looking great!!!! :D

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 08:17
It's looking great!!!! :D

Thanks craggles :)

craggles
July 29th, 2012, 09:51
Thanks craggles :)

You're very welcome!!! Now if you release the skin along with a token set, it would be added to the 'must have' category immediately along with the Extend RMC extension!

I hope you've put your name forward for illustrations for any future GCP FG release. :D

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 19:44
@craggles: I plan on making a basic set of player/npc tokens, much like the ones seen in the last screenshot posted here. I initially wanted to do them top-down view, but seeing them front on seems nicer.

The floor/wall/decoration tokens will be top/down I guess, that would be the easiest to handle.

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 20:20
The UI work came to a stop after the recent update to RM today, can't find the icons/frames folders anylonger. Even the "ruleset" folder that contained the RM ruleset is empty.

So until I figure out where the new folders are located...

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 20:48
Awesome! I found out what happened after the update and managed to locate the frames/icons folders inside a .pak file, so the work on the RM UI graphics continues :)

Shockbolt
July 29th, 2012, 21:23
Another update for the UI graphics. 3 new buttons have been added to the RM ruleset addon update today, modifiers, encounters and notes, and you'll see I've added new graphics for those as well:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx04.jpg

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 22:04
Great job Shockbolt! I can't wait to use it in my game.

If you need help making it into an extension let me know. It will eliminate the need to worry about the .pak file.

Blackfoot
July 30th, 2012, 02:02
Looks really nice.

Shockbolt
July 30th, 2012, 08:13
Great job Shockbolt! I can't wait to use it in my game.

If you need help making it into an extension let me know. It will eliminate the need to worry about the .pak file.

Seems like the best way to handle the new UI will be in an extension, so we'll do that later sometime this week and hopefully have a public version for anyone to use. There's still a bunch of icons that needs to be repainted along with a few frames, working on those inbetween my other artjobs here.

Shockbolt
July 30th, 2012, 08:14
Looks really nice.

Shockbolt
July 30th, 2012, 22:07
Another update to the new RM UI, added more icon updates, most of the time today has been spent creating new frames, as seen in the screenshot below. Still much to repaint :)

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx05.jpg

lachancery
July 30th, 2012, 22:34
It's looking better each day, and it looked fantastic last week! Can't wait to see the final skin... Great job!

bnason
July 31st, 2012, 01:29
This is really nice - when you release it, any chance that you can make it ruleset independent?

Shockbolt
July 31st, 2012, 09:02
@lachancery : thanks! slowly getting to the end now, icon by icon :)

@bnason: initial idea was to use this UI skin with Rolemaster only. We'll have to see what happens after I finish it. The few things linking it to Rolemaster are the various logos here and there.

Shockbolt
July 31st, 2012, 15:54
Started working on the Combat tracker frame today, this is what it currently looks like:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx06.jpg

ddavison
August 1st, 2012, 06:44
Hey Shockbolt,

Great work! This looks significantly better IMO.

Shockbolt
August 1st, 2012, 19:01
Hey Shockbolt,

Great work! This looks significantly better IMO.

Thanks ddavison :)

Shockbolt
August 1st, 2012, 22:24
Repainted the lighting choice icons tonight, fixed some frame issues due to resizable frames:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx07.jpg

Shockbolt
August 4th, 2012, 17:28
And my RM UI graphics set is almost complete! I've still gotta do some tweaks here and there, but it's fully functional and should make gaming a lot easier.

Screenshot update:

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/FG2_new_RMgfx09.jpg

lachancery
August 4th, 2012, 18:04
Looks fantastic! Looking forward to trying it out!

Willot
August 5th, 2012, 00:59
This will make the rolemaster ruleset one of nicest looking ones imho

craggles
August 5th, 2012, 01:20
It's looking superb!!! :D

The one thing I'm not keen on at the moment is how the desktop gradually fades into the right column background. I personally would prefer it to be more 'enclosed' as the a stone bg like the bottom bar but that's my preference.

Shockbolt
August 5th, 2012, 01:44
Thanks for the feedback guys!

About the faded column in the background to the right, I don't feel it's optimal myself either, we'll see if the final version ends up looking different.

Started another art project tonight, related to FG2 and possibly more. Posting some screenshot teasers in a few days, or maybe even tomorrow sometime :)

craggles
August 5th, 2012, 10:55
Looking forward to it! :)

Tiqon
September 5th, 2012, 22:02
Maybe Im just slow (jup, I am I know), but didn't you finish this and if so, how can I get it? I can't seem to find a link for a DL.....

(Proud new owner of RM module)

Dakadin
September 6th, 2012, 00:10
He is actually waiting on me. There are a few code changes that needed to happen to finish the implementation.

Tiqon
September 6th, 2012, 05:33
so? GO GO GO GO GO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

jwarlander
September 10th, 2012, 09:32
Awesome stuff! Really looking forward to the new UI extension.

After buying FG II and the RMC ruleset no less than three (3) years ago, I'm only now sitting down with tutorials etc to learn how to use it :P While FG II and the RMC ruleset are both really great - actually exceeding my initial expectations - I'm constantly having to re-check what the icons mean as it is right now.

Shockbolt
September 10th, 2012, 09:38
Awesome stuff! Really looking forward to the new UI extension.

After buying FG II and the RMC ruleset no less than three (3) years ago, I'm only now sitting down with tutorials etc to learn how to use it :P While FG II and the RMC ruleset are both really great - actually exceeding my initial expectations - I'm constantly having to re-check what the icons mean as it is right now.

Working on the last changes/additions to the updated version now, should have everything finished (graphics) by the end of today.

Tiqon
September 10th, 2012, 09:49
Working on the last changes/additions to the updated version now, should have everything finished (graphics) by the end of today.

GREAT! I'm really looking forward to try it!

JohnD
September 10th, 2012, 16:05

Great to hear!

https://media.makeadare.com/img/120d18437/image_9a3cb73241.gif

Shockbolt
September 11th, 2012, 20:38
One massive screenshot coming up, be careful...it's hot :D

https://www.ironthrone.no/FG2/screenshotSeptember02.jpg

Shockbolt
September 11th, 2012, 20:41
*content removed, double post*

Tiqon
September 11th, 2012, 20:56
Stop posting screenshots! It makes me crazy, GIVE ME THAT UI! NOW! :D

JohnD
September 11th, 2012, 20:58
Very nice. Crazy crazy crazy....

Dakadin
September 12th, 2012, 03:37
There is some good and bad news about the new graphics.

The bad news is it will be at least a couple more weeks before this can be made available because the changes to the radial menus requires a feature that is in FG v2.9.2. FG v2.9.2 is still in testing right now.

The good news is Shockbolt has agreed to make this new graphics UI the official graphics for the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. We are working hard to make sure everything looks great and works as expected. I am adjusting my development efforts to make sure that I can turn over a new version of the ruleset once FG v2.9.2 is available.

JohnD
September 12th, 2012, 04:56
I'm noticing the Calendar is in... and this looks great.

Tiqon
September 12th, 2012, 05:40

I noticed too! :) Nice.

Dont worry guys! I would rather you make it good than make it fast ;). Take the time that is need and dont listen to us!

Dakadin
September 12th, 2012, 08:19
That's the plan but I will just put off a few features to make it available sooner. :D

Dakadin
September 12th, 2012, 08:26

I guess I better get working on the last bug for it then. :p

Tiqon
September 12th, 2012, 09:15
"The last bug".... hmm not been programming long have you ;). Or are you just very confident ;).

Dakadin
September 12th, 2012, 15:49
"The last bug".... hmm not been programming long have you ;). Or are you just very confident ;).

LOL. It is just the last bug until I find out about another one. ;)

Dakadin
September 18th, 2012, 04:45
Raymond and I have been working to get the graphics finalized so it will be ready for FG v2.9.2. There is only one small change needed to complete it (at least until I find another one :p ). I attached a screenshot showing some of the windows opened and a sample of the new radial menus. You can see a few other features in there also.

JohnD
September 18th, 2012, 14:03
Looking really nice!

Tiqon
September 18th, 2012, 14:31
Your know what JohnD? I think they are addicted to getting our praise. So they will never release it. they will just continue to feed us screenshots so we can keep on praising them for an job well done.

Don't do it!. Resist the temptation!. Lets rise up and DEMAND the real thing!. Lets stop accepting things we can only see, and not use! lets unite and fight for our rights! As GMs and players alike, lets come together and make a movement and ride forth to VICTORY!

FOR ROLEMASTER! FOR NEW UI! FOR FG v2.9.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!

Dakadin
September 18th, 2012, 15:41
Your know what JohnD? I think they are addicted to getting our praise. So they will never release it. they will just continue to feed us screenshots so we can keep on praising them for an job well done.

Don't do it!. Resist the temptation!. Lets rise up and DEMAND the real thing!. Lets stop accepting things we can only see, and not use! lets unite and fight for our rights! As GMs and players alike, lets come together and make a movement and ride forth to VICTORY!

FOR ROLEMASTER! FOR NEW UI! FOR FG v2.9.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!

LOL. :D

The funny thing is I was thinking I didn't show enough of Raymond's great work so I am attaching a couple more things to show it off:

* A sample of the new minimized icons. There are separate icons for the combat tracker, tables and calendar now.

* NPCs and Encounters are part of the NPC list now as tabs. You can also see the scroll bars, Filter trigger and New button.

* The current side bar layout with the new single column buttons at the top.

Enjoy! :)

Blackfoot
September 18th, 2012, 15:51
Small thing...
I'm not really sure I love the colored 'tabs' on the bottom of the encounters window. They seem kinda fuzzy.

Shockbolt
September 18th, 2012, 16:05
Dakadin...do you think they'll call our bluff soon, that these screenshots are just concept artwork of the UI...and that we haven't even started working on it yet? :D

Dakadin
September 18th, 2012, 16:15
Dakadin...do you think they'll call our bluff soon, that these screenshots are just concept artwork of the UI...and that we haven't even started working on it yet? :D

Shhh! You'll give it away. :p

Dakadin
Small thing...
I'm not really sure I love the colored 'tabs' on the bottom of the encounters window. They seem kinda fuzzy.

Do you have any suggestions for how you would like to see it?

Tiqon

See? WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER IN THIS!

Blackfoot
September 18th, 2012, 16:32
Do you have any suggestions for how you would like to see it?
Clean, simple, and feeling like the rest of the interface. They look a bit like 'tattered flags' in that image.. I'm not sure that really fits the bill. Maybe pick up that nice metal scrollwork around some of the other windows or something? Make them colored metallic instead?

Shockbolt
September 18th, 2012, 16:35

Ouch, did I post that in the thread instead of as a PM? lol

Dakadin
September 18th, 2012, 23:35
Clean, simple, and feeling like the rest of the interface. They look a bit like 'tattered flags' in that image.. I'm not sure that really fits the bill. Maybe pick up that nice metal scrollwork around some of the other windows or something? Make them colored metallic instead?

Raymond and I worked on new versions of them shown in the attached screenshot. The lit up one is the selected category. All 8 icons and 6 colors are shown.

Blackfoot
September 19th, 2012, 00:38
much nicer.. although perhaps the 'lit up' version could be a little more distinctive...

Tiqon
September 19th, 2012, 06:11
At first I didnt think any of it when Blackfoot posted his feedback, Im not very good at designs and such, but I agree with you Blackfoot, that new one is much nicer and I too think an indication of the chosen tab would be nice to have more distinctive, can you like bring it a little "forward" if you know what I mean? Or have it go a bit higher or something. :).

Dakadin
September 19th, 2012, 07:15
Here is a version with the selected item moved up a couple pixels. Let us know what you think of it.

Tiqon
September 19th, 2012, 07:49
Better :).
I found myself wanting to get it even higher and started to wondered why. And why did it not stand out so much even if you have moved it up a few pixels? I realised after looking at some of the UI in PF and the older UI for RM I use atm. They use very colorful banners, therefore you noticed the top of the banner very fast, and therefore the fact that its abit higher than the others. Not so much with this new one as it uses a color close to the background. Im not saying its not good enough, just my observations as a total noob in design ;). I really appreciate the amount of work you both do on this :).

JohnD
September 19th, 2012, 12:22
What about inverting the colours on the active/selected banner?

i.e. the blue becomes the parchment and the parchment becomes blue. That would really stand out.

Dakadin
September 19th, 2012, 17:48
We darkened the unselected ones and raised up the selected one. Let us know what you think.

Tiqon
September 19th, 2012, 18:07
I like it! :).

JohnD
September 19th, 2012, 18:19
Yeah, that's good.

craggles
September 19th, 2012, 18:32
Oh wow - I got really confused for a second there. I was sure I'd not commented on this thread for a while but the banner I made was right there. :)

Nice to see it pop on someone else's sig - Spreading the love! :D

Shockbolt
September 19th, 2012, 18:35
Oh wow - I got really confused for a second there. I was sure I'd not commented on this thread for a while but the banner I made was right there. :)

Nice to see it pop on someone else's sig - Spreading the love! :D

*two thumbs up*

Blackfoot
September 19th, 2012, 18:43
Yeah... that looks good.

Shockbolt
October 25th, 2012, 15:25
I think my kickstarter diversion worked, it's been over a month since anyone asked for the Rolemaster UI graphics :D

But...it should be here soon, a tiny bird told me so..

Tiqon
October 25th, 2012, 15:53
Well Mr. art... We weren't waiting for you, we were told... I believe Dakadin had to do his magic too. But was that all a diversion eh?

So when the new and improved FG2 comes out soon, your skin will be included? (hopes ;)).

bennis1980
October 25th, 2012, 21:21
(whisper) I'm play testing it and the new UI is (/whisper) ♪AMA-ZING♫

(whisper) Oops I said that too loud. Now that's just between you and me (/whisper)

Tiqon
October 26th, 2012, 05:47
Was that said to give me some kind of comfort?

IT DIDNT WORK!

"I knoooow what you are getting for christmas son.... noooo Im not gonna tell you... you'll just have to wait the TWO months... but its soooo cool!"

Yeah I feel like a kid again. And only my dad could do something that evil to a kid.... You must be a father to be that evil. ;).

bennis1980
October 26th, 2012, 06:13
I am a father of three children.

"Now come here kids, I have a few more truths to tell you. You know Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Chuck Norris, well ..."

... (5 minutes later) ...

"... so Chuck Norris doesn't exist"

Dakadin
October 26th, 2012, 07:59
The new UI needs version FG 2.9.2 which is still in testing. Without it the radial menus don't always make sense or even show up.

I do have at least one thing that I am trying to finish up for the next version of RMC. I am trying to keep things pretty stable so I can release a new version of RMC with the new UI shortly after FG 2.9.2 goes live.

Tiqon
October 26th, 2012, 08:41
Bennis I have 2 myself, one boy at 10 and one girl at 14, I just LOVE to feed them false info ;). They have almost figured me out by now though..

Dakadin, is there a "list" of what we might see of new stuff in RM 2.9.2? I mean the core 2.9.2 list is pretty official... pretty please :). I ask mostly because as we have used RM for a couple of times now I and my players begin to realise there are some features (small things) we would like to see. But I dont want to add them to the wishlist if you already have included them in 2.9.2.

GunnarGreybeard
October 26th, 2012, 09:06
Man, I am so looking forward to this. :D

Dakadin
October 27th, 2012, 08:18
Dakadin, is there a "list" of what we might see of new stuff in RM 2.9.2? I mean the core 2.9.2 list is pretty official... pretty please :). I ask mostly because as we have used RM for a couple of times now I and my players begin to realise there are some features (small things) we would like to see. But I dont want to add them to the wishlist if you already have included them in 2.9.2.

FG will actually be version 2.9.2. The RMC ruleset will be version 1.4.x. I am tracking all the changes but I haven't consolidated the list yet. Here are a couple highlights:
* Raymond's amazing graphics
* Move/Pace calculator
* Calendars
* Preferences for some optional rules
* Chat window can be sized and moved
* Modifier stack, RM dice, and the dice tower can all be moved
* Drop down lists and scroll bars

Hopefully that holds you over for a little bit. ;)

Tiqon
October 27th, 2012, 08:30
Thank you very much Dakadin! yup that should hold me for a few minutes ;). Looking forward to it!

JohnD
October 27th, 2012, 12:33
Is good ja.

Shockbolt
January 2nd, 2013, 14:30
While we wait just a tiny bit longer for the Rolemaster UI skin and updated ruleset, here's som art pieces I made in 2012 for the new Iron Crown website. Now that it's been updated, I can share the artwork with you guys :

https://www.ironthrone.no/ICE/ICE_websiteArt01.jpg

craggles
January 2nd, 2013, 16:09
Gorgeous as usual!!!! :D