PDA

View Full Version : Preload images can be seen (4E / SW)

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2012, 11:15
Not sure if anything has changed having sat far too long on the GM side of the show, but it seem now that if you:

Open an image in the GM console
Select "Sharing -> Preload image" in the new, two-step image menu

Then the players can already access a "<< New Drawing >>" which is effectively the image you are sharing.

This came up in a FGCon game, and one player commented on a Preloaded image, which surprised me somewhat as I'd not yet selected the "Sharing -> Share Sheet" option !

I can recreate this locally with FG 2.9.1 (test version) and 4E (latest).

Myrmidion
July 26th, 2012, 12:07
Well, as far I can tell, it was that way all along. I can definitly say it&#180;s since the 2.8. versions.
I&#180;m not so sure but i think it already happenend since the early 2.7 versions.

regardles of rulesets

Zeus
July 26th, 2012, 14:16
I think I am right in saying this has been a side effect of Preload Images since JPG opened up the ruleset to allow clients direct access to shared story/image data i.e. access to Story/Images from the right hand side dock icons.

Prior to this change, clients had no way of opening images themselves directly - the buttons were not available; instead they had to wait for the DM to actively share.

Still, perhaps JPG can fix it so that data is not tagged as readable by clients until a Share event is fired i.e. not preload. Then again the functionality of Preload may dictate that clients have to have read access. Not sure.

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2012, 14:19
Ah ha - then it must be what I've often suspected; my players don't really use these tools !

Better not tip them off they can get sneak previews of my combat maps / images. Would be awesome if we could restrict this somehow, but I admit it does appear to be more a "feature" than a bug.

(perhaps a simple client-side filter on all drawings called "<< New Drawing >>" might be sufficient ?)

Griogre
July 26th, 2012, 18:57
Just mask the maps before you pre-load them. Pay attention to your map names though... Surprise AMBUSH is not a good name. :( Unless you are just messing with them. :D

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2012, 19:20
A Preload is essentially the same as Share on the backend, since it just sends the database information (including image) to the the clients. The difference is that Share also sends a window open command following the database update.

For now, masking before preload is the way to go.

Cheers,
JPG

phantomwhale
July 28th, 2012, 05:47
Cool - thanks guys. Good to have a mini-workaround for now, obviously would be good to be able to do this without multiple menu clicks in the future :)