PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday July 31st Midnight GMT (8pm EDT) 0-55: The Infernal Vault - game discussion

Trenloe
July 25th, 2012, 16:02
*** Game discussion thread ***

Sign up at the calendar entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=858

*** Please keep all discussions for this game in this thread - don't post comments/questions in the calendar entry (I don't get an email telling me there is a post so I will miss it).

Game details:

Tuesday July 31st (8pm EDT - US Eastern Daylight Time).
GMT -4.
Duration: 4-5 hours.
Fantasy Grounds license: Ultimate.
Chat type: Voice - TeamSpeak3 - fgts.servegame.com
Tiers: 1-7 (1-2, 3-4 or 6-7)

A decade ago, the Decklands family, a house of Chelish nobles, were exiled from Absalom for treason. Their fate made for an interesting story and when a Pathfinder agent in Cheliax studying the family's long history and exile from the City at the Center of the World ends up murdered, the Society sends you to the recently discovered Deckland Vaults in Absalom to see what connection their old home might have to your murdered colleague.

OrenSatov
July 25th, 2012, 17:29
Harulganom "Crazy Harry" reporting for duty.

Since my PCs are now L4 & L3 it's probably time to create a new PC. So, depending on how the sign-up goes, I may bring a noob instead.

Gwaihir Scout
July 25th, 2012, 17:45
Signed up with my level 3 oracle. I also have a level 3 rogue and a level 2 sorc, depending on what we need or what subtier we end up in, but I'd prefer to play the oracle.

Macgreine
July 25th, 2012, 19:14
I would like to play either Mazerin Level 1 Divine hunter or Lancier level 1 rouge.
Thanks , Mac

avro5731
July 26th, 2012, 00:18
Open to high or low

Trenloe
July 26th, 2012, 01:05
Open to high or low
We can make a provisional subtier decision based on people signing up and what level they can bring. This will be further reviewed depending on the character exports the signed up (and accepted) players send me.

This, of course, could change at game-time (people not turning up, etc.) so please be prepared with backup characters if possible.

Macgreine
July 26th, 2012, 02:23
here's my xml

Manium
July 26th, 2012, 21:54
My blade at your service. - Merric the Darkblade

Just played my first PF game a few nights ago and ready to have another run :)

Trenloe
July 26th, 2012, 22:02
My blade at your service. - Merric the Darkblade

Just played my first PF game a few nights ago and ready to have another run :)
Thanks for sending the character over - you're currently first on the waiting list. I'm working with Mazz0382 to get organized with a character and they have priority for the 6th spot at the moment.

Manium
July 26th, 2012, 23:01
Great, let me know if a slot opens up.

OrenSatov
July 27th, 2012, 01:10
Don't know what to do about the XML file.

I was just sent the L2 version from the last table I played. The character file had some errors/deficiencies. I don't know whether or not the version I was sent incorporates the changes I made during the game to fix the probs. I am unlicensed so not only can't I update it, I can't check it. Further, Harry has now reached L3, so changes are going to be needed regardless.

What to do? Submitted the XML AS IS for now.

Blackfoot
July 27th, 2012, 15:21
Don't know what to do about the XML file.

I was just sent the L2 version from the last table I played. The character file had some errors/deficiencies. I don't know whether or not the version I was sent incorporates the changes I made during the game to fix the probs. I am unlicensed so not only can't I update it, I can't check it. Further, Harry has now reached L3, so changes are going to be needed regardless.

What to do? Submitted the XML AS IS for now.
I believe you should now be able to make your own changes and export the file from 'Manage Characters'.
If you enter 'Manage Characters' ... build and edit your character ... then click the 'export' button in the character selection window.

Give it a try and let us know if you have any problems.
EDIT: Forget the part about the converter.. I was confused.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2012, 17:03
Instructions on making/exporting characters here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16961

You can use the character converter to get Fantasy Grounds exported XML into the local manage characters cache.

OrenSatov
July 27th, 2012, 22:51
I've encountered a slight problem with that advice, Blackfoot.

It appears that the 'Manage Characters' function is for licensed copies only. You had me excited for a moment!... albeit a brief moment. :P

Trenloe
July 27th, 2012, 23:46
I've encountered a slight problem with that advice, Blackfoot.

It appears that the 'Manage Characters' function is for licensed copies only. You had me excited for a moment!... albeit a brief moment. :P
A little bit you can do with an unlicensed version is create a demo campaign, manually enter your character in the campaign and export it. You can't import it back into another demo campaign (this is restricted to licensed installations) but you could use it to create a character for export to another game. Not ideal but any stretch of the imagination, but it does allow a character to be entered in manually FG and exported as FG XML.

This is what the GM will have to do if the player doesn't provide a HeroLab, PCGen or FG XML file, so it is an option for players to help reduce the preparation load on GMs... :)

OrenSatov
July 28th, 2012, 00:47
OK. I can do that. I don't see a Pathfinder option for building a demo campaign. Is the 3.5 version close enough to bother?

Trenloe
July 28th, 2012, 00:51
OK. I can do that. I don't see a Pathfinder option for building a demo campaign. Is the 3.5 version close enough to bother?
The 3.5E ruleset contains Pathfinder as well - when the campaign comes up you will be prompted to select PFRPG or 3.5E.

OrenSatov
July 28th, 2012, 05:02
Done.

Am I going to have to spend hours rebuilding my character from scratch every time anything changes? Unlicensed won't load a character, not even one I built myself locally. If it bothered to save my demo campaign (I can't tell if it did) it certainly didn't let me reload it later.

If this is all that the unlicensed version can do I probably won't be updating again until I can afford to buy a license, which at present rate will be well after the end of the world. :(

Trenloe
July 28th, 2012, 05:10
Done.

Am I going to have to spend hours rebuilding my character from scratch every time anything changes? Unlicensed won't load a character, not even one I built myself locally. If it bothered to save my demo campaign (I can't tell if it did) it certainly didn't let me reload it later.

If this is all that the unlicensed version can do I probably won't be updating again until I can afford to buy a license, which at present rate will be well after the end of the world. :(
The whole "thing" about the unlicensed app is you can't save anything - I'm surprised it lets you export characters (perhaps that's a loophole that will be changed soon?).

Have you tried PCGen as a free character creation/management tool? It's quirky but it does the job. https://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

The FG character converter can convert PCGen files (when you install the PCGen sheets from Character Converter) to FG XML. You'd still have to setup spells, effects, etc. but at least you could update your character in PCGen and not have to rebuild every time. The converter is installed in <FG App data directory>\utilities

avro5731
July 28th, 2012, 05:19
Fuma lvl 3 war
Marfa lvl2 Inq

damned
July 28th, 2012, 06:13
Done.

You cant save your demo campaign with the unlicensed.
The price might be steep for you in your present circumstances but it really is a great product. If you dont have the time and patience to work thru the other options available then you probably need to work out how to make the purchase. If buying with friends you can buy in one bundle and get a discount which can make a bit of a difference.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2012, 03:59
Current player list is (* means I've received your character - although I haven't loaded it yet):

1) OrenSatov - Alchemist 3* (received L2 character)
2) Mgrancey - Magus (spell dancer) 1
3) Macgreine - Paladin (Divine Hunter) 1* or Rogue 1
4) Gwaihir Scout - Oracle 3* or Rogue 3 or Sorcerer 2
5) avro5731 - Fighter 3* or Inquisitor 2*
6) Mazz0382 - Level 1

Waitling list (in order)
1) Manium
2) ragnaroc1011

Trenloe
July 29th, 2012, 04:06
From the levels of the characters (see post #2) this looks like we will be playing at subtier 3-4. Having 6 players adds 1 to the average party level (APL).

We have 3 1st level characters - I'm thinking that they may struggle playing subtier 3-4 and not enjoy the game (or come to an untimely end).

Are the level 1's happy with playing subtier 3-4?

If not, an option would be for Oren to create a level 1 character (I know you've mentioned this possibility Oren) and Gwaihir and Avro to play their level 2 characters - this would just squeeze the APL into subtier 1-2.

What are people's thought? I know this means a few of you won't be playing your preferred characters...

Gwaihir Scout
July 29th, 2012, 06:09
I'd like to get out of subtier 1-2 someday, is what I'd like. :p

No, I don't mind playing my sorc. He'd level up.

avro5731
July 29th, 2012, 07:09
I have a few lvl 1's laying around if need be

Mazz0382
July 29th, 2012, 19:13
Sorry for taking so long to post my character. Just finished creating it today. This is my first PFS character and took me forever to get threw the rules. I made a lvl 1 roleplay Wizard (meaning that he's only ok in combat, but is useful for things like crafting and the such). I also added a token for him incase you either didn't have one or you like players supplying them. Thanks :bandit:

Gwaihir Scout
July 29th, 2012, 19:23
Hi Mazz, welcome to PFS. Unfortunately, crafting is not allowed in organized play, in order to keep character wealth relatively similar. Wizards don't even get Scribe Scroll, replacing it with Spell Focus.

Here's a link to the guide that explains the rule changes when playing PFS: https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4

Mazz0382
July 29th, 2012, 19:55
Uhhggghhh...missed a lot of rules i guess...have to go back and reread. :cry:

Gwaihir Scout
July 29th, 2012, 20:13
You shouldn't have to change too much. I took a look, and you're pretty well set up already. You'll have to make sure you've paid full price for the scrolls you've got (you start with 150 GP). Switch out Scribe Scroll for the Spell Focus of your choice. You can keep your craft or your profession skill and use it as a day job for some extra cash in between scenarios, but I wouldn't take both unless you really wanted to do so.

You also get two traits, from the attached guide or another legal source:

You'll need a faction. There's a brief guide to them in the link in my last post. Looks like your best match is Osirion, but it's your choice.

The full list of stuff for you as a PFS player is here: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/playerResources

Mazz0382
July 29th, 2012, 21:20
Thanks so much. All that info really helped me make the changes so much faster than on my own. Those scroll would be ones I would've made myself useing scribe scroll. Now they're gone since I wouldn't want to waist money on those scrolls atm. I think he should be done now and have reattached the new xml. Also, the token was coming up as a pic not a token so I'm not going to post it.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 20:34
Thanks so much. All that info really helped me make the changes so much faster than on my own. Those scroll would be ones I would've made myself useing scribe scroll. Now they're gone since I wouldn't want to waist money on those scrolls atm. I think he should be done now and have reattached the new xml. Also, the token was coming up as a pic not a token so I'm not going to post it.
Cool - looks good.

One question - you have +2 in concentration checks (Conc. Checks) under the spell classes, where does this come from? I see Elven Magic gives a +2 to overcoming spell resistance, but this doesn't apply to concentration checks.

Just checking to see if this comes from some other ability?

Mgrancey
July 30th, 2012, 22:05

Mazz0382
July 30th, 2012, 22:56
Cool - looks good.

One question - you have +2 in concentration checks (Conc. Checks) under the spell classes, where does this come from? I see Elven Magic gives a +2 to overcoming spell resistance, but this doesn't apply to concentration checks.

Just checking to see if this comes from some other ability?

That is from the trait Focused Mind. If you look in my notes section, there is a lot there and you can scroll down to see all of it.

OrenSatov
July 30th, 2012, 23:08
I can definitely bring low to fit the group's needs.

Based on the responses so far the party appears to have:

melee: spell dancer 1
ranged: {divine hunter 1}
arcane: wizard 1, sorcerer 2
divine: [inquisitor 2]
sneak: {rogue 1}
mutt/variable/unknown: [sundry 1]

From Macgreine we either have the ranged attacker or the sneak, who might be a ranged attacker.

From avro5731 we either have a borederline divine or a complete wildcard.

We also might have a weak front line, though there isn't enough info available to me to really know.

So I could either play...
Kyra 1 to fill the divine slot, and maybe help with the front line
Merisiel 1 to fill the sneak slot and be a very secondary melee fighter

or design something to fill one of the seemingly vacant roles.

Any suggestions? I'll try to decide ASAP, but more input is highly valued and appreciated.

party based on latest input...

1) OrenSatov - some level 1
4) Gwaihir Scout - Sorcerer 2
5) avro5731 - Inquisitor 2* or some level 1
6) Mazz0382 - RP Wizard 1

Waitling list (in order)
1) Manium
2) ragnaroc1011

Mazz0382
July 30th, 2012, 23:26
My character is no longer going to be a RP Wizard since the whole concept behind him is illegal in PFS. So I made a combat Wizard. Sorry for the confusion.

avro5731
July 31st, 2012, 01:19
Looks like the party is set keep the Inq in... I was just offering if you needed me to make a new one.

OrenSatov
July 31st, 2012, 23:58
OK then. I'll play whatever fits.

tahl_liadon
August 1st, 2012, 01:16
party based on latest input...

1) OrenSatov - some level 1
4) Gwaihir Scout - Sorcerer 2
5) avro5731 - Inquisitor 2* or some level 1
6) Mazz0382 - RP Wizard 1

Waitling list (in order)
1) Manium
2) ragnaroc1011

seems low on melee type. if the party could use one, i'll jump in an empty slot.

monk 2 or ninja 3.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2012, 04:21
seems low on melee type. if the party could use one, i'll jump in an empty slot.

monk 2 or ninja 3.
Sorry, everyone turned up for the game (and we've been playing for 3 hours now). Thanks for the interest though - keep an eye out for other games.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2012, 18:53
Can everyone who played last night please provide me with your PFS numbers and character number, in the form: XXXXXX-YY. Where XXXXX is your PFS number and YY is your character number. I need these to report the game and to give you your chronicle sheets.

Thanks very much.

Mgrancey Locien ???
Macgreine Mazerin 39019-2?
Gwaihir Scout Shen Tan 41341-???
avro5731 Fuma Gurban ???
Mazz0382 Mazz Erdan ???
OrenSatov Merisiel pregen ???

avro5731
August 1st, 2012, 19:09
avro5731 Marfu Onus 41731-4 :D

Thank for the great time

Macgreine
August 1st, 2012, 19:22
Mazerin-39019-2 Thanks for the game.

Gwaihir Scout
August 1st, 2012, 19:23
Shen Tan 41341-5

Thanks!

Mazz0382
August 1st, 2012, 23:03
Mazz0382 Mazz Erdan # 58655-01

Thanks. Was lots of fun. Can't wait for next game :ninja:

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2012, 13:48
I have all of the PFS numbers now - thanks everyone.

Sorry to those who posted in the chatlog at the end of the game - I missed that, but have them now.

I'll get the chronicle sheets out later today.

Look out for the next game - its looking like it will be 02 - Hydra's Fang based on the votes so far...

Mazz0382
August 2nd, 2012, 19:27
Awesome. I look forward to it.

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2012, 21:50
Here are the chronicle sheets:

The 2nd page shows you what you can spend prestige on and what items you are allowed to buy as standard. See page 17+ in the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play for details of what you can buy and page 28+ for how to fill out the sheet.

PC export at the end of the game:

I have also reported the game on Paizo.com. Mazerin (39019-2) isn't listed so I just added the details. I didn't add a name for Oren's character credit - but did record it against 37351-3

Let me know if there are any issues with the chronicles.