PDA

View Full Version : How has the FGcon been for you so far?

bennis1980
July 22nd, 2012, 12:10
We're more than half way there. So how have you enjoyed it so far?

How many and which sessions did you join in?

What was your favourite moment?

Will you, like me, feel withdrawl symtoms and jetlag from such and international convention?

Share your thoughts!

bennis1980
July 22nd, 2012, 12:31
My experience so far:

I signed up for 5 sessions, with 2 still to do today.

Savage Worlds - Violet Cube - Doswelk
Favourite moments: rigging a car to explode to cause a distraction while our party of pulp adventurers fought nazis at a starting aircraft / letting myself go playing a mad scientist (came quite natural to me)

The One Ring - Lost in th Marshes - Valarian
Favourite moments: Climbing down a chimney into a submerged ruins / playing a dwarf and starting an argument with Mirkwood Elves

Space Master - Cetagandan occupation of Barrayar - Dakadin
Favourite moments: Interrogating the drugged prisoner / tactics and long ranged combat (and those amazingly high rolls - WOW!)

Rolemaster - the Truth that Binds - Lachancery
Favourite moments: Great multifloor map layer outs / sneaking up on Mercenaries and "slapping" them with my scim
tar.

Dresden Files (FATE) - Night in the haunted house - Valarian
Favourite moments: All the great in-character acting / the ghost coming out of the wall and grabbing Dani when she tried on he old wedding dress (foolish girl) :D

Overall favourite experience: Generally having a good laugh with all the players I've played with. You are all amazingly friendly and open people. Thank you for the FG experience so far!

Doswelk
July 22nd, 2012, 14:02
I ran one, played one.

Savage Worlds - Violet Cube, a great bunch of players made this a joy to GM.

Deadlands - Don't drink the water - Phantomwhale

Never figured PW was a killer GM :p

He killed me off but the highlight was definitely the Undead Feral Donkey rising up from the ground and saving the day!

phantomwhale
July 22nd, 2012, 14:08
Just stumbled through my first session for ages (been stuck in the code for too long, not playing nearly enough !).

We played Don't Drink the Water scenario for Deadlands: Reloaded - available now in the FGII store ! *subtle plug*

Had three good players, some good in character stuff, everyone picked up the rules quickly (where they didn't know them already) and we actually made as much progress on the one-shot as when I played it face-to-face with a crowd a few weeks ago. Which is really impressive, given I find FGII can often make a game run closer to "half pace" with the realities of online play, so very happy with that.

Got a few bugs (we were playing with my "alpha" SW version 3.3 ruleset) but nothing game breaking, and had a couple of good gaming moments, two nicely paced fights, and I finally got to chat with other FGII forum people which was really nice, esp. Doswelk (Savage Playtester extrodinaire) which after having trading code for quite a while was pretty darn cool. Especially as I got to kill him :D

Overall, quite buzzed now, and wish I'd had the time to book out more of the weekend and play 2-3 sessions; convention scenarios are always better than just "joining a random game" as people are normally more up for crazy high-jinx, playing their character and telling a good, short, complete story. This came through today with my game and other session reports I've seen.

Overall - two thumbs up. See you all at FGCON 2013 (or sooner !)

XpressO
July 22nd, 2012, 15:54
Played in one game, the one that phantomwhale ran. Had a blast thanks to the Feral Donkey that saved the day and I sadly had to put down :( also I was a bit out of it because of being tired over a LAN party. Really really well ran game and very good group. Would play more in an instant, *subtle hint* phantomwhale ;) Even a full fledged campaign in a heartbeat.

So. The con was an awesome idea and I was thinking of running a GURPS group or two but didn't have the time. (The con lacked GURPS altogether!) Next time I'll definately be participating more!

"This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS."

- Yours, X.

wbcreighton
July 22nd, 2012, 16:30
The con has been a great experience.

I started by taking some time off work on Friday to hang out in the Team Speak open chat area, and chat with whoever happened to wander into the channel. It was neat to be able to chat with so many of the forum members whose names have become familiar to me. I got a good idea for how GMs and players have been using FG and the various voip applications. Plus got some insight on various rulesets and rpgs in general. It has also been fun being able to convince a couple of people to join a games scheduled for later on. :)

On Friday, I joined the "Chairman of the Con" Trenloe on the spur of the moment for his PF Black Box Bash and became a Pathfinder player for the first time ever ( I have only ever GMed 50+ sessions of it ). It was a very fun game and the first time I have ever used voice exclusively to play a FG session. The moment of the game happened when we got ambushed by a group of thugs while trying to leave a crypt. One of our big burly fighters and our cleric, retreated to get cover behind columns leaving the other fighter stranded on top of a pillar and the rogue ( me) out in the open. You know who you are guys ! :p We did survive and lived to fight a nasty group of goblins. I finally got the satisfaction of flanking an enemy and laying some sneak damage on the hapless victim.

On Saturday I did more of the same chatting in the open channel, and played in a PFS game that I had signed up for. One of my regular players gave those of us in the open chat channel a good laugh when he finished his session but forget to turn off his mic. We got to hear his activities for the next while until he came back to TS. :D

In Ragnoroc's PF Society game ( another first for me) I played a Ninja, and followed up with lots of sneak attacks and team work with 2 players that I usually GM. It was fun to be able to play with people new to me, and have our group get pushed to the absolute limit of hit point capacity. Nothing better than coup de grace"ing" foes that my witch teammate kept putting to sleep.

So far met plenty of fun and friendly players and GMs. Looking forward to playing some BRP in a scenario with the author of the setting book, and publisher of a whole line of books for my favorite game system BRP. :)

sirchet
July 23rd, 2012, 01:39
It's been great fun.

I've met more than a few like minded peoples and have even joined an ongoing campaign.

Thanks for putting this on.!

balrik
July 23rd, 2012, 01:52
from what I can read and have followed on the fourms looks like things went very well. sadly I could not attend any games as committing to one shots was a tough thing with wife being 8 1/2 month pregnant but in hinsight as she didnt give birth I shoulda played BAH I had a few chats with people and looks like spirits where high.... congrats to the people who organized it and I look forward to smitworks reply to how they feel it went

Willot
July 23rd, 2012, 10:42
T The moment of the game happened when we got ambushed by a group of thugs while trying to leave a crypt. One of our big burly fighters and our cleric, retreated to get cover behind columns leaving the other fighter stranded on top of a pillar and the rogue ( me) out in the open. You know who you are guys ! :p

:D I was just checking to make sure no one was sneaking up from behind!!!!

Killian
July 23rd, 2012, 14:21
Awesome time and a huge thank you to everyone that ran games and made the effort. It's difficult sometimes to remember just how many gams systems and players are out there, some like myself tend to get stuck into one game and forget the potential. Got to try out two new systems and had a blast both times. Spotted Bewnnis was in both of the games I was in and the comments made me chuckle..

My experience so far:

Favourite moments: Interrogating the drugged prisoner / tactics and long ranged combat (and those amazingly high rolls - WOW!)

Favourite moments: All the great in-character acting / the ghost coming out of the wall and grabbing Dani when she tried on he old wedding dress (foolish girl) :D

Very true man that was great! The Spacemaster game shows a lot of potential as I love space sci fi games and so many do things both good and bad but other than the very lethal possibilities spacemaster worked well.

Big fan of Dresden fies and this was my first time getting the chance to play it. Think it probably ranks as my number two system now under Pathfinder works really well with the material and chatting afterwards I learned just what the potential is for a different roleplaying experience while still having those awesome rolls that can decide the outcome.

Overall a great weekend and hope this becomes a regular thing.

Invain63
July 23rd, 2012, 14:53
My experience so far:

I signed up for 5 sessions, with 2 still to do today.

Savage Worlds - Violet Cube - Doswelk
Favourite moments: rigging a car to explode to cause a distraction while our party of pulp adventurers fought nazis at a starting aircraft / letting myself go playing a mad scientist (came quite natural to me)

The One Ring - Lost in th Marshes - Valarian
<snip

<snip>

Rolemaster - the Truth that Binds - Lachancery
<snip>

Overall favourite experience: Generally having a good laugh with all the players I've played with. You are all amazingly friendly and open people. Thank you for the FG experience so far!
I played in the Violet Cube and Night in the haunted house games and want to second these comments. Both of the games I played were great fun and also very different in style, tone and ruleset features. It was a great example of the range of play possible in Fantasy Grounds. This virtual con went a long way towards cementing my love for this platform. Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

-Kevin McD

Dakadin
July 23rd, 2012, 21:07
On Friday, I joined the "Chairman of the Con" Trenloe on the spur of the moment for his PF Black Box Bash and became a Pathfinder player for the first time ever ( I have only ever GMed 50+ sessions of it ). It was a very fun game and the first time I have ever used voice exclusively to play a FG session. The moment of the game happened when we got ambushed by a group of thugs while trying to leave a crypt. One of our big burly fighters and our cleric, retreated to get cover behind columns leaving the other fighter stranded on top of a pillar and the rogue ( me) out in the open. You know who you are guys ! :p We did survive and lived to fight a nasty group of goblins. I finally got the satisfaction of flanking an enemy and laying some sneak damage on the hapless victim.

I was the cleric hiding behind the pillar when they pulled out their crossbows. :o I did make sure I was in range to keep everyone healed. Oh and I remember the rogue running and hiding in the corner for awhile :p It was a blast. I'm glad I got to play with you in this session.

wbcreighton
July 24th, 2012, 09:20
Well Dakadin and Willot I'm glad you owned up to it ( and I can put a forum name to those character actions ). :D

I finally got to play a PF character and I really had a great time. I might have to venture out of our online rpg group, to meet up for a session or two down the road ( at the next con I'm guessing ).